Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Stop other small dogs attacking Cocoa

dogspaws
January 30th, 2008, 01:12 AM
Hi,
I am new here and just wanted to ask a question. I live in Toronto and there are allot of small dogs and allot of them do not like bigger dogs like mine. Cocoa is a German Short Haired pointer mixed with a chow chow. How can I stop the smaller dogs to trying to attack Cocoa (http://dogspaws.wordpress.com). My dog will never react to them since Cocoa is just a year a couple of months and I am affraid that he might react one day Please help.

Thanks for your opinions
Jeremy

want4rain
January 30th, 2008, 09:05 AM
i dont know?? maybe take her somewhere there arent small dogs?? is this on your daily walks or at a dog park? its not right that other owners allow their dogs to be aggressive. perhaps you should say something to them?? there isnt a way to make other dogs behave other than through their owners.

BTW Coco is ADORABLE!!

-ashley

Love4himies
January 30th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Here is a link to an interesting story on rude dogs. I think I would say something to the owners of the dogs, ask them gently if they mind controlling their dogs.

http://www.flyingdogpress.com/sayhi.html

mastifflover
January 30th, 2008, 09:38 AM
I have this problem all the time. Because of Bud's size I find a lot of dogs get aggressive with him, luckily Bud is not the least bit aggressive and does not react to them. He just goes on his way. I really believe it is about the size of the dogs and the smaller gets that napoleon complex where they have to show how tough they are. But there are also a lot of untrained dogs out there and owners without a clue. You have to speak up and explain that your dog will not react but one day he may get sick of it and react and given the difference in size it will not be good for your dog, and you would not want anything to happen to your dog. Be really nice about it and stress how there dog could get seriously injured by another dog that is not as calm as yours. I refuse to change my dog park or route because of ignorant owners and I know my dog is not the one who will be hurt. But I can actually say some of the dogs that use to be aggressive with Bud no longer are. I think speaking with the owners really helped them and me and the frequency that they see Bud. Remember if you tense up your dog will feel it right through the leash so you staying calm will keep him calm. Cocoa is too cute if you are near High Park the trails are great and lots of big dogs as well as small

dogspaws
January 30th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Thank you for your replies very helpfull. Yes I would try to avoid the route but it is right outside my building. Most dogs around my building are off leash and I normally walk Cocoa with his leash on. That is a great tip I think I will have more dog meetings with the dog owner and the dog. Maybe hopefully I can ask him politely to keep his dogs on the leash untill they get allong with each other. Thank you very much!
jeremy I posted more pictures of "my adorable" dog cocoa (http://dogspaws.wordpress.com)

Brooster
January 30th, 2008, 01:15 PM
When I walk the pooch,there has been someone who walks two JRT's on leashes. Those two go ballistic when they see our dog. Our guy does not respond in kind. He does position himself between the offending dogs and me.
It's incredible but if those two got loose and came after ours it would be in the media that another PB attacked a small dog