Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Yellow Lab. Retriever digging holes..help!

dejesu24513
January 29th, 2008, 07:10 PM
My yellow labrador retriever has a habit of digging. He was given to me as a gift. He's a 1yr. old and 7 months. He's digging all over my yard and all around the foundation of my house. The holes are huge. I have to fill it up before my husband get home and see it. I'm tired of filling up the holes. I love him very much, and i want to help him to dtop the habit. My question is how. What can i do to help him. Any request.

Annie
dejesu24513

luckypenny
January 29th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Well, the wonderful advice I got from members here was to give my diggers a place to dig :D . They now have their very own garden. It takes a little while but it's possible to teach them to dig in a designated spot. Our dogs are always supervised when they are in the yard so if they start to dig elsewhere, I say "uh, uh" and re-direct them to their garden. I started by burying favorite toys and treats and allowed them to dig them up. Now they don't dig anywhere else but their garden.

want4rain
January 29th, 2008, 07:25 PM
yep, most dogs dig because they are bored (aside from the inclination!!) if i leave my lab mix outside for any length of time ill come out to whole giant bushes dug up!! he now is encouraged to dig in a sand box. we feed him a raw diet so its fair game to bury his larger meat pieces anywhere there arent flowers but his recreational digging is in the sand box.

it doesnt take them long to get those holes dug huh?? :laughing:

your best bet is to make him a digging spot and mark it somehow... whether by lining it with wood or making it a sand hole (make it good and deep!!) and then supervising him for a few months. you have to teach your dog what you want him to do. repetition of NO! when he does somethign you dont want him to do. they get it eventually. :) i promise!!

-ash

Ford Girl
January 30th, 2008, 10:56 AM
It comes down to bordom and natural habbits....dogs dig. I would start with at the very least 1 hour of good fast paced exercise everyday, not ball tossing in the back yard, but a good paced leash walk or ball throwing in an open field, especially for a lab...who could use that and then some...at that age...they need to be directed on what they CAN do and they need to drain their batteries.

My golden digs...any chance she can get, I too use to fill holes so my honey didn't see them, gets old quick doesn't it? ha! What I did to help was...like LuckyPenny, I gave her a place to dig..loose soil...which I still fill the holes back up for her, but at least it's one place and not in the middle of the lawn...and the biggest thing I do to prevent it...she's not outside alone unsupervised unless she's already had several hours of exercise. She gets 1 -2 hours a day minimum, and day care twice a week - for 8 hour days, which completely drains her batteries. Play dates, dog park, swimming, you name it, we do it...not cuz I am a go getter - trust me, I like my couch and TV, but for her piece of mind.

To get her to dig in the same spot all the time we hid tennis balls and treats and bones deep under the soil, she dug and found treasures...and if she started to dig anywhere else we corrected her by placing her in her digging area and telling her to dig...of course, you can't correct the behavior if you are not out there with them. :)

dejesu24513
January 30th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the reply. With Gino there's never enough exercise. :-)
We play with him all the time. The kids and I run , catch, chase, and go for walks. The batteries in Gino never seems to run down low. haha
I will take your advice and guide him to a spot where he can enjoy his digging else where. I don't mind him digging cause all dogs do dig. But not when it comes to the foundation of the house.I never took Gino to a dog park before. But I'm willing to do so. My crazy neighbor came up to me the other day and said " Why don't you have him declawed". I looked at him as he was crazy. I will never do such a thing. It took me by surprice by him saying that.

thanks

Annie
dejesu24513

Ford Girl
January 30th, 2008, 12:15 PM
We feel your pain when it comes to high energy - there is high energy - and then theirs dogs like ours!! ha! :crazy: It's tiring thinking about it.

Declaw a dog? :confused::confused:

SARAH
January 30th, 2008, 12:17 PM
I read one tip in a dog magazine once ... it's sneaky but could work! In fact, I'll have to try it myself when we put the sod down this spring.

The trick is to lay out chicken wire right below the surface (put it down, then spread enough dirt over to hide the wire). The dog tries to dig and gets caught in the wire mesh. No fun :frustrated:

Of course, when you want to plant something, you'll need wire cutters as well as a spade :D but hey, you don't plant stuff every day!

GSDog
January 31st, 2008, 09:50 PM
i just finish reading this book on different behaviours and one was digging and they suggest to put chicken wire like about 3feet wide by 6feet but make sure your dog doesnt see what your doing..refill the hole with rocks too cause it discourages them and put the wire mess and put more earth on it...he will go back to dig and it wont work...so if he goes to dig elsewhere you do the same..use the same mess...

i know many years ago i did that so skunks dont go under my balcony but i used rabbit mess and it worked...

just an idea...

want4rain
January 31st, 2008, 10:26 PM
*blinks* i think mine would find it a great game to dig up the chicken wire. he thought it was funny to dig up a huge tree root... through gravel that was a driveway at one point before it was covered with dirt and grass... :rolleyes:

-ashley

luckypenny
January 31st, 2008, 10:57 PM
... he thought it was funny to dig up a huge tree root...

Penny used to do the same!!! How on earth do they know where the roots are?? It was only the roots she would dig, nowhere else :confused: .

want4rain
February 1st, 2008, 07:24 AM
heck if i know!! there was one that was soo big i was SURE it was the main power line runnign to the house!! :rolleyes:

-ashley

Ford Girl
February 1st, 2008, 12:01 PM
Ya, our "garden" has a tarp about a foot down, she dug thru that and ate some of it....I don't think chicken wire would help me....I still think supervision, exercise and an appropriate place to dig is the easiest way. :2cents:

Altho I gave up on the whole nice yard idea the week we brought her home. The holes in the garden go nicely with the yellow grass and missing tree branches!! :laughing:

Longblades
February 7th, 2008, 07:27 PM
I think it is a phase they go through at that age. My Lab girl did the same thing at that age. Dogs will also dig in hot weather in order to find some cooler earth to lie in.

To add to the great tips, we went about it differently. We discouraged her returning to dig in places she already had started by putting her poopers in the hole, just below the surface of the soil we filled back in. Then, when she started in a place we didn't mind digging we let her go to it. This worked for us.

GSDog
February 11th, 2008, 09:29 PM
are his the nails too long maybe?

hey maybe your dogs are digging where the roots are and trying to find truffles!!! ya never know...yummmmmmyyyy :thumbs up