Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Petcetera adoption

coppperbelle
January 29th, 2008, 07:53 PM
I was at the new Petcetera on the south shore yesterday. It's been open for awhile but I hadn't had the opportunity to visit. They have a cat adoption area in the back of the store and they had about 6 cats up for adoption. I don't know much about cats but all were beautiful and looked very healthy. I was surprised at how well they all seemed to be getting along. So often in these forums we hear how cats don't accept newcomers to their homes. The room where they are kept has a number of beds and shelves and all the cats were napping with the exception of one black one. He was bored and hopping from shelf to shelf stepping all over the other cats. None were bothered by him. When he reached the bed closest to the window which was occupied by a very large guy he got into bed with him. I thought for sure there would be a fight but instead the large guy started licking the black cat and wasn't disturbed at all about his nap being interupted.

Frenchy
January 29th, 2008, 08:06 PM
So they are like a pet shop ? Or do these cats are rescues ?

They all got along ... maybe they're all on cat nip :D

coppperbelle
January 29th, 2008, 08:22 PM
It's like a huge pet shop but the cats are from a rescue group. Petcetera helps them get their cats adopted I guess.

:cat:nip:thumbs up

Frenchy
January 29th, 2008, 08:29 PM
It's like a huge pet shop but the cats are from a rescue group.

:thumbs up

poodletalk
January 29th, 2008, 09:03 PM
The cats in Petcetra are from the SPCA Montreal. One week-end, they adopted out 6 cats.

coppperbelle
January 29th, 2008, 09:17 PM
They did have a rescue name posted but I don't remember what it was. Wherever these cats came from they were beautiful. If it weren't for having to clean a litter box :yuck:I would think about adopting one.

Rottielover
January 30th, 2008, 06:55 AM
Can you please let me know where this is. I drive all the way to ottawa to go there now :(

Dogastrophe
January 30th, 2008, 07:01 AM
The Petcetra in Halifax (actually Dartmouth) is an adoption center for the local SPCA. Last time I was there, which has been several months, they had approx 8 cats.

They are set up similar with all the cats hanging out in the same room together. I suspect that they purposely select laid back cats to minimize any fighting.

poodletalk
January 30th, 2008, 08:02 AM
It's on Taschereau BLVD, near the best buy and future shop.

chico2
January 30th, 2008, 08:16 AM
We have that here too and I think it's a great idea,at least the cats are not confined to cages and people can see how they interact with other cats.

Love4himies
January 30th, 2008, 08:25 AM
The Petcetera here in Kingston adopts out on behalf of the Gananoque Humane Society, Pets Smart and Pet Value does it on behalf of Kingston Humane Society, Global Ryan's Pet Foods does it on behalf of both.

It is amazing how the cats do get along. I know somebody that resuces cats and has about 26 at last count. They all get along and are housed in a huge fenced in area with a heated shed.

Wish Puddles and Sweet Pea would get along:sad:.

Ford Girl
January 30th, 2008, 12:06 PM
The Petceteras here have cats from the CHS too.

Funny how they get along eh? At the CHS they have the cats in these veiwing pods in groups of 4, they all laze around purring, snuggling...no fights... :cloud9: I always get the sense they know they need to turn on the cute and they know they need a home...:shrug:

Chris21711
January 30th, 2008, 12:25 PM
At our local SPCA they have cat rooms with multiple cats some with 9 or 10 cats in. You see them grooming each other, it's cute. I think Ford is right, they turn that on so that they get adopted, you take them home and they shred your favourite chair, bless them:D

Love4himies
January 30th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Maybe they know they have no choice, because nobody is listening to them anyway, so may as well behave. Then, when they know they have you wrapped around their finger, they start being demanding:frustrated:.

SARAH
January 30th, 2008, 01:30 PM
There could also be the fact that they have no actual territoty to defend, it's neutural ground. They know, since there is no live-in house slave (i.e. human owner). This is just a transit area, no need to get all huffed up about it.