Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bailey bleeding

chico2
January 29th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Today on our walk,Bailey pooped and it was nothing but lots of blood and runny poop.
I could not pick it up,it was just like a puddle of blood:sad:
I got sooo upset,brought her home and told the owner(he was working at home),all he said was they'll watch her:yell:
There was a LOT of blood,to my estimation about a 1/4 cup,what could it be???
To me an emergency for sure,but she's not my dog...

JanM
January 29th, 2008, 05:28 PM
OMG that's terrible! It sounds like that's an owner that SHOULD NOT have a dog! I feel for you because it sure puts you in an awful spot too. My heart goes out to Bailey... I do hope something good happens for Bailey..

badger
January 29th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Your neighbour must have a heart of stone. I'd give them a call, talk to the wife this time. Say you can't stop thinking about what you saw and have been researching the possibilities on the net, and they all have bad outcomes. It might very well be true. Maybe you'll get her at a good moment. I sure hope so. How agonizing.

phoozles
January 29th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Poor Bailey! That cannot be good! I hope they come to their senses and take him to the vet!! :fingerscr

Frenchy
January 29th, 2008, 08:52 PM
omg poor Bailey ! :wall: and poor you :sad:

:pray: that she feels better tomorrow. :fingerscr

hazelrunpack
January 29th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Poor Bailey! Did she seem to have her usual amount of energy on her walk, chico? :grouphug:

BusterBoo
January 29th, 2008, 09:05 PM
:sorry: poor Bailey.....I hope someone, soon....comes to their senses.

:shrug:

LavenderRott
January 29th, 2008, 09:10 PM
The very first thing that popped into my head when I read the OP is - parvo. I'm not a vet and I didn't see the dog, so I could be wrong.

I just wanted to post to say that I hope that you washed thoroughly including your clothes and shoes. If it is parvo, it is highly contagious.

mona_b
January 29th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Oh poor Bailey.And poor you...It must have broke your heart to see this.I know how much you love this dog........:grouphug:

Lukka'sma
January 29th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Oh chico, this is so sad. I know you will just be in pieces until Bailey gets to the vet. I sure hope Bailey's family have half the love for Bailey that you do.

rainbow
January 29th, 2008, 11:46 PM
Chico, I hope you can somehow convince Bailey's mom and/or dad to take her to the vet. This is a serious problem. Good luck. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

krdahmer
January 30th, 2008, 12:26 AM
Oh Chico... poor Bailey, I hope you were able to persuade them about the emergent nature of that problem!! :pray: And that Bailey is ok... :goodvibes::pray:

Luba
January 30th, 2008, 12:45 AM
I've enough :cat: footing around about Bailey's neglectful ignorant ahole owners.

Anita you have a couple of choices
#1 do nothing and maybe the dog dies
#2 do something and maybe the dog lives

Who cares at this point what these jerkoffs think/do or don't do.
If they don't take this dog to the vet Anita YOU do it. And if you don't want to do that then call the SPCA. There is no other option. THey are horrible horrible people and they do not deserve to have Bailey. Tell the SPCA that the dog is defacating blood and they won't take her to the vets. The SPCA will show up asap and then you better believe they'll take Bailey to the vet.

I know that you'll say that they may not let you walk Bailey anymore and you konw what..... cross that bridge when you come to it but if this dog has some sort of internal injury and is bleeding the dog could die NOW is the time to act on an URGENT situation.

IF this were 'ME' I would just take the dog to the vet myself. Once I was there I would call them and tell them where you are and ask them to come to the vets to speak to the vet themselves.

To me an emergency for sure,but she's not my dog...

Yes it most definitely is a horrible situation. But imagine the pain this dog must be in and how would you feel if she dies.

Luba
January 30th, 2008, 12:58 AM
And to just reflect on what LavR says, yes if it is parvo it is really contageous. And what will happen is the intestinal layers just keep coming off. They slough off and so does the mucosal lining and the bleeding can be really severe.

It could be an obstruction or maybe inflamatory bowel disease or a stomach ulcer, or a reacton to something she got into, a foreign object lodged somewhere in the GI tract.

This is an emergency. My gosh I am praying for Bailey. :pray:

For this type of situation being so urgent, and not knowing the 'problem'...even something like feeding bailey could cause more severe problems. Bacteria from food can leak into the blood stream.

Just want to say I know the difficult position you are in but at this point maybe you are the only one that can save this dog if something serious is wrong. Maybe you can go get her when they're not home and just show up at the vet and tell them what happened. You can leave her there at the vets they will have to go pick her up.

Shaykeija
January 30th, 2008, 01:32 AM
Just my :2cents:. Baily may have colitis. When HRH Miss The Poo gets it she passes a lot of slimy poop that is laden with black and red blood. Scares me half to death every time this happens. Is Baily arching her back? Or stretching out, with her bum in the air and head and front feet down. This is a sign of stomach cramps in Missie. Is Baily shivering? Can you take her temp. With Missy and bacterial colitis, her temp spikes at about 104 to 104.5.
Get that dog to a vet and report these so called owners to the SPCA.

chico2
January 30th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Thank's everyone,I definetly had a panic-attack:yell:
What I noticed,Monday she was her usual self,happy,sweet etc...pooped a whole bunch of stuff,noticed corn in her poop.
However,she did not even take her regular treats.
It's not unusual that every Monday,her poop contains all kinds of stuff,the kids probably give her leftovers in the weekend.

Tuesday(yesterday) when we picked her up,she was her regular self,even wanted a treat.
We took a long walk,since she seemed to be feeling good and then she pooped:yell:it was mucusy(sp?)bloody and runny,but she just continued running as normal,no signs of slowing or lethargy.
I will call the mother today at work,I got her number just for instances like this,thinking the father does not take anything about Bailey seriously.
I have never seen anything like this before and my first thought was she had eaten something she should not and it ruptured something,where else would all that blood come from???

I would also say,Bailey is not willfully neglected,she had a total check-up,bloodworks etc...just before X-Mas,before beeing boarded.
She is neglected emotionally because the family is so darn busy,but is otherwise a happy little dog.
I always wash my hands thouroghly after having cuddled Bailey,before I touch my cats,just in case of any problems.

chico2
January 30th, 2008, 07:38 AM
Luba,don't worry,I will take her to her vet,if need be,will suggest to the mother today,if she did not already take her.
I know who the vet is,already talked to him last year after Bailey ate 3 Lb's of Valentines choclate and at that time the mother came home right away and took her,for stomache-pumping.

krdahmer
January 30th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Just sending more :goodvibes: Bailey's way....

SARAH
January 30th, 2008, 11:42 AM
:fingrescr and :goodvibes: for Bailey!!

Stacer
January 30th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Poor Bailey!! Thankfully it was you who was walking her and noticed, if it had been the father,then who knows what would happen to Bailey. At least you having saw the blood can pester the people or take Bailey yourself to the vet.

Any news?

rainbow
January 30th, 2008, 02:38 PM
What would Bailey do without you, Chico. :angel:

Was there any blood in her poop today? Good luck. :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

Luba
January 30th, 2008, 02:47 PM
There is often no pain associated with many bowel disorders that cause bleeding. However a rupture or sudden bleed out can occur at any time and so can bacterial contamination getting into the blood stream.

You didn't panic, you were concerned and you still need to be.
Please let us know what happens today, she should be seen by the vet today. This isn't something that they can just watch andhope gets better it is something that may turn really bad really fast. And if it were to happen overnight or when the vet is closed, is there a 24hr vet hospital near you?

Poor darlin, I know how much you love her. I really really wish she were your dog, you love her so much.

chico2
January 30th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Well,I talked to the mom this morning,her husband told her,but she did not know it was that much blood.
Today,Bailey and I went out for about 10 minutes,too darn cold and windy:yell:
She pooped and it was nice and firm,still some clotted blood in the poop,but not pouring out of her like yesterday.
I called the mom again and gave her a poopreport..
She thinks Bailey might have gotten in to some chicken-bones in the weekend,she calls Bailey,Hoover,because she eats anything in sight.
I offered to take her to her vet,but mom is taking her on Friday.
I just don't know where all that blood came from..:shrug:
If a chicken-bone is stuck somewhere or has ruptured something,I am sure she would be in pain,so I don't know,we'll see...

Luba
January 30th, 2008, 05:10 PM
So she doesn't think this is serious enough to take her today?
What an absolute idiot moron.

chico2
January 30th, 2008, 05:22 PM
No she does not,seeing Bailey is eating,drinking and in good spirits,no more runny poop.
Bailey at the moment is not suffering as far as I can see and that's all they see..
I just cannot grab her and take her to the vet,I would not hesitate was she laying in her bed sick,then I would not care,I'd take her.
However making them mad,is not going to help Bailey,I would loose the opportunity to take her for walks and cuddles.:sad:

Luba
January 30th, 2008, 06:35 PM
I know you're in a tough spot. And how much you care.
But dogs are really 'tuff' themselves. My dog Rusty was up walking to the day he was admitted to hospital. He was full of cancer, tumours throughout his body. Surgeon said he must have been in a hell of a lot of pain. He never showed it. Dogs aren't like 'us' humans. We complain too much, they complain to little bless their souls.

Maybe you could offer to take Bailey 'for them' to the vet 'sooner'.

katsdar
January 30th, 2008, 07:09 PM
I had a dog he is now in heaven but he had something similar to Colitis can't remember what the vets called it,but at the very first sign of bloody stools I'd rush him to the vet cause he would have to be put on IV fluids and antibotics never found out the cause, but he'd spend at least 2 days at the vets when he would have an attack. but it was really serious scared me to death the first time he had his attack.

Frenchy
January 30th, 2008, 08:43 PM
She pooped and it was nice and firm,still some clotted blood in the poop,but not pouring out of her like yesterday.
I called the mom again and gave her a poopreport..

Poopreport :laughing: I'm glad her stools are better today. It's probably something she ate. Thanks for caring Chico2 :grouphug:

Luba
January 30th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Eating something that doesn't agree with your tummy doesn't cause bleed outs like this. Not unless it was something impailing a part of the GI tract.

Love4himies
January 31st, 2008, 07:30 AM
You are right, Chico, you can't just up and take Bailey to the vets. Bless you for caring so much and giving Bailey the exercise and cuddles that dogs need.

chico2
January 31st, 2008, 07:40 AM
Yes Luba,was this happening to one of my cats,he would have been at the vet the first day,for sure,but not everyone is as vigilant as us.
I've talked to the owner 3 times,offered to take Bailey,any more"bothering"her,she just might ask for the house-key back:sad:
Bailey is going to the vet tomorrow and I will leave it at that,unless I find her sick in her bed today.

chico2
February 8th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Update on Bailey.
I talked to the owner yesterday,finally,the vet-visit was fruitless.
The vet apparently said Bailey is perfectly healthy,other than gingivitis.
But all that blood must have come from somewhere:shrug:
So far though,she's been fine every day,nice firm poops:thumbs up

hazelrunpack
February 8th, 2008, 09:04 AM
She maybe suffered some temporary irritation/injury from the chicken bones she ate but was able to heal it after passing them through. Thank Dawg they did not perforate the intestine! :eek:

I'm so glad to hear that she's back to normal now, chico. :grouphug:

Love4himies
February 8th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the update and thank goodness it was nothing serious.

Lukka'sma
February 8th, 2008, 10:21 AM
I'm glad Bailey is doing better now and no more bloody stools seen. Good work Bailey

Frenchy
February 8th, 2008, 12:28 PM
yipppeeee Bailey ! I'm glad she's back to normal. One less pet to worry about for Chico2 :grouphug: I know how nerve wracking it can be !

krdahmer
February 8th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Glad to hear Bailey is better and no more stressful poops!

chico2
February 8th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Thank's girls,the thing is it was not just bloody poop,but first she pooped and then it was just blood coming out,in a puddle,scary stuff:yell

krdahmer
February 8th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Well maybe she just strained a bit too much to poop and burst a blood vessel that healed itself? That could happen right?:shrug: Maybe she needs more fiber in her diet...

chico2
February 8th, 2008, 04:58 PM
She is eating"Natural Balance"or something like that,before she was eating Beneful,so it's a bit of an improvement.
Her poops this week have been nice and firm,no blood,but she poops THREE times on our walk:laughing:a lot of poop for a little dog:dog:
I too am really relieved,I am not sure that they would spend a lot of time and money to make her healthy if she was sick.

Dogs4me
February 8th, 2008, 06:09 PM
My beautiful 14 year old female Jack Russell also bleeds from her bottom, we have narrowed it down to whenever she eats chicken or turkey. Otherwise she never bleeds. Due to her age we are avoiding chicken and turkey and keeping her away from the vet as we are scared they will tell us she is terminal. As she has normal bowel actions usually this tends to put our mind at ease especially as she has a fantastic appetite when she isn't around chicken.