Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Stubborn Cat

Pages : [1] 2

nnikol
January 29th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Ok here's the story:

I just decided to adopt my first cat after moving into the big city(Toronto). After cat proofing my apartment and getting all the essential cat stuff i went and adopted a 2 year old male kitty. He supposedly came from a good home and spent very little time in the shelter. In addition he was fixed and all his shots were up to date. So I brought him home to my place and set the carrier down in the living room. Silly me, I should of put him in my bedroom and let that be his safe room. So in the middle of the night i heard some loud scurrying. I immediately woke up and started looking for him. I could not find him, until I noticed a small hole which lead up to a small area above the ceiling( i have no idea how he got up there). the area is very small vertically but very long horizontally. just enough for a cat to get in.

About 300 cm high and 3 meters long....i can barley stick my head in to see him with a flashlight....

I 'm pretty sure he can come down again there are some small platforms he can probably jump down to to come back to the living area.

He's been up there for about 5 days now. I put food and water close as a i can to him (in the living area) but he's not eating or drinking it.

I'm kinda worried he'll starve himself to death out of fear.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
my kitty is here <= entered here
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My living area is down here

Thanks for your help. :sad:

phoozles
January 29th, 2008, 03:44 PM
:eek: A cat cannot live for long if it doesn't eat - it develops fatty liver disease. If you absolutely cannot get him down, is there a way to get food and water up where he is?

nnikol
January 29th, 2008, 03:46 PM
I did put some dry food and water up there before i left today and my roommate says he's eaten some of it and drank some water so that's a relief. Of course he's probably doing his toilet stuff up there too I don't know what to do next. I'm afraid if i just leave food and water up there he'll stay up there forever

chico2
January 29th, 2008, 03:48 PM
OMG nnikol,I don't really know,but I would try with some really smelly food,a can of people-tuna would do,not many cats can resist that.
But don't leave it there,try to entice him down.
If that does not work,you might have to call the shelter and they can get him out with a catchpole,which would probably stress him terribly,but he HAS TO come down.
Please,if you get him down,somehow cover that entrance up. Good Luck:fingerscr

nnikol
January 29th, 2008, 03:54 PM
I called my landlord and the previous foster home. I would be cutting a hole in the ceiling to physically remove him, I don't think my landlord willing to put a hole in the wall to get him out. And I that will probably frighten the heck out of him and will probably go in even deeper not the mention the danger of one of those sharp cutting tools poking him. And he's about ~8 feet (2.5 meters) in and according to the sites I've looked at there's no cat grasper that long that I've seen.

The foster home doesn't know him that well they only had him for a little while.

I tried putting some fancy feast on the platform before i left for work and i came back and it was all dried out on not even one bite eaten.

I really nervous, why wont my kitty come down :confused:

phoozles
January 29th, 2008, 03:54 PM
At least he's eaten something..

Chico had a good suggestion - using smelly food - you could also try a ribbon or something to get him down - with a soft, calming voice. Otherwise, you'll need to call a shelter to get him down - patch up the hole, and take him to the vet to see if he's okay.

Good luck :fingerscr let us know how it goes!

dustybird
January 29th, 2008, 03:59 PM
eeep 5 days is a really long time for a cat. Can you call the shelter where you got him and see if they can help you get him down. If it was the humane society they have all sorts of ways of getting animals out of small spaces etc.. Or try your appartments super, maybe he can cut another hole in the ceiling to get him out, and then of course close them up for you.

Because he's in a new place and you are new to him his nerves have gotten the better of him and he just may not want to come down, I think your going to have to make another hole big enough so you can get to him out.

If you don't want your super to know is there someone you know who has carpentry skills that could cut a hole and then patch it for you.

dustybird
January 29th, 2008, 04:02 PM
sorry to repeat I was writing and posted at the same time others did.

chico2
January 29th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Most shelters or Humane Societys have catchpoles that can be extended.
I would call the shelter you got the cat from,I am sure they will help,not wanting the cat to die up there,which he will.
Chances are he is already weak from not eating and drinking.
As for the super,either way he will not be happy,if the cat should die up there,a hole will still have to be made.Poor kitty:sad:

nnikol
January 29th, 2008, 04:24 PM
The hole option is not possible there are to many places for him to go, I would have to make multiple holes, and I really don't think my landlord would want that and would have to be the last option(plus i don't want to get evicted and the kitty dies). My landlord is not a animal person and he could care less. I guess I could call the human society to see what they suggest.

I got the cat from a private home and they're not willing to help. :frustrated:

I'm gonna grab the most delicious tuna from grocery store to try and lure him out. I'm a nervous wreck i can't do work I just think about my poor kitty.

Are the things like cat pheromones that can lure cats out or am I dreaming in HiDef.

Thanks for your help guys! If anyone knows a master carpenter please tell me that can do the job quietly please tell me :(.

chico2
January 29th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Cat pheromone spray might help to calm him down,most pet-stores sell it.
I have plug-ins for my cats.
I can imagine how you feel,it must be terribly sad for you,please let us know how it goes.
Humane Society just HAS TO help,that's what they are supposed to do,your poor kitty is in trouble:sad:

badger
January 29th, 2008, 04:57 PM
You have to lessen his fear. Don't go near the hole except to leave food.
You don't have to creep around but no loud music or, especially, loud voices. Talk to him quietly when you are nearby, in a very soft but natural voice. Promise we won't call you crazy :) :crazy:

Absolutely try the pheremones, they also come in a spray can (I have one called PetEase, made by Naturvet). Spray around the entrance to his 'den'.
Do you have a way to make it easier for him to come down? A four-legged ladder or a piece of tall furniture? I know he can make it on his own but a little encouragement might be needed.
Get some catnip and leave it around.

He won't come down while you're there. You'll just have to hope that wherever he is in the apartment when you come back, you can get to the hole first. Have something on hand to plug it. I think he will eat if left alone. I wouldn't worry about starvation just yet. Nevertheless, tempt him with cream and smelly food.

So he's basically in a 3-metre tunnel? Can he go any further?

phoozles
January 29th, 2008, 04:59 PM
I agree - you should call the humane society ASAP - the kitty needs to get down or he will die up there, and unfortunately, as chico2 mentioned, you'll STILL need to get him down.. :sad: :grouphug:

nnikol
January 29th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Ok update....

I called the Humane Society and they were very helpful, they said not to panic he's in no real danger. They recommended some cat pheromones and something called rescue remedy that can calm cats down. I'm going to leave work now and pick them up. anyone know where i can find this rescue remedy in the Markham/Scarborough area.

Would catnip be a good idea i don't want him to hurt himself up there?

I not sure if he can go further in, but he's pretty far in to begin with.

badger
January 29th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Rescue Remedy is available at Loblaws here, but health food stores always have it. It is one of the Bach Flower Remedies. You can add some to his food if it is something smelly and meaty, otherwise put a dropperful in his water.
Leave some catnip in a saucer somewhere in the room, maybe even in another room, to entice him and draw him away from the hole once he gets down.
For the pheremone spray, you have to go to a specialty pet store. I know Petsmart has it.
Good luck. Stay calm, tell him in your most soothing voice that he's being a complete ass, a great life awaits him.

dmc123
January 29th, 2008, 05:50 PM
nnikol,

I feel so bad for you and your newly adopted cat! What a dilemma! Any luck yet? He must be so scared.

Think he is too scared to jump back down on whatever he used to get up there? Without tearing another hole in the ceiling, can you make a ramp of some kind? Like a kitty tree, that he can see and feel more comfortable jumping onto?

Anything to tempt him, as others said....if you can get some tuna in a can - very fragrant - and put it on the top of the ramp or ladder or whatever would reach just below the hole. Maybe a tall bookcase or entertainment center just below the hole. I would suggest not putting the food up in the hole if you can construct something below - in your living area.

One of my cats, Stanley, loves to climb the ladder into the attic if we go up, but he is very timid about coming down the same way.

If I think of any other ideas, I will post them - in the meantime, keep us posted and good luck.

Diane

dmc123
January 29th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Thought of another idea, do you have an area rug, say 8 x 12 feet. If so, roll it up tight, like it would be in the store. Prop that at the opening of the hole.

Maybe he will come down it??

Diane

dmc123
January 29th, 2008, 06:13 PM
I forgot this, make sure you have something to cover that hole when you get him down. Cardboard....anything.

Diane

happycats
January 29th, 2008, 06:36 PM
When Imoved my cat Tuffy hid between my ceiling that the upstairs floor ( I was in a basement apatment) She stayed up there for 2 weeks, I went there daily to feed and water her. I finally borrowed a humane trap, put tuna in it, and she was caught in the middle of the night when the house was dark ad quiet.

You may want to try a humane trap and have the place empty and quiet, he may some out to explore.

nnikol
January 29th, 2008, 08:38 PM
well i've done pretty much verything you guys have told me to do minus cutting a hole into the wall. The exit of that hole is a kitty's heaven albacore tuna, catnip, purina temptations even cat pheramons i'll i can do now is play the waiting game.

Oh and i dropped some rescue remedy in his food and water.

And if all those things do not work i'll have to put a sedative in his food and then take him out.

man i'm so anxious, they told me to calm down cats can sense my discomfort

thanks guys

P.s how big isthe humane trap, because if its bigger than 300cm high then i'm outta luck.

nnikol
January 29th, 2008, 09:59 PM
i wonder if these guys can help http://www.aaawildlife.com/ or do they only do wildlife?

krdahmer
January 29th, 2008, 11:23 PM
I hope he comes out soon:pray:... have you tried contacting the fire department? My next choice would be someone in wildlife removal, they may charge but have plenty of experience getting animals out of places they shouldn't be and may have tools for the job.

nnikol
January 30th, 2008, 09:34 AM
here's some pictures

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg182/nnikol/IMG_0650.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg182/nnikol/IMG_0649.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg182/nnikol/IMG_0648.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg182/nnikol/IMG_0647.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg182/nnikol/IMG_0645.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg182/nnikol/IMG_0639.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg182/nnikol/IMG_0643.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg182/nnikol/IMG_0642.jpg[/img]

badger
January 30th, 2008, 10:08 AM
He's so close! I'm guessing he can't get any further. Keep talking, keep feeding, he'll come.
Has he used the litter box?

nnikol
January 30th, 2008, 10:11 AM
nope he did not use it yet he hasn't come down so i don't even think he knows its there.

phoozles
January 30th, 2008, 12:10 PM
:fingerscr That he'll come out soon! :pray:
I think the wildlife rescue would help you out - but they might want to cut another hole - you'd have to check with them.

nnikol
January 30th, 2008, 12:32 PM
they have a control pole thats long enough to get him, however its gonna be real tough and he's gonna hate me for a long time...its a LAST resort and there's no humane trap that can fit up there as i can barley fit my head inside

SIGH

krdahmer
January 30th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Well I say let them get him out... it'll be maybe an hour or so that he's panicky, but then you can get him in a safer room, have food and water and litter and maybe a small box for him to hide in, and he can then start adjusting to his new home.... safely! I say look at it like a bandaid... better to rip it off fast. Get him out asap, the longer he is in there the harder it'll be to get him out and the more that will become his safe spot and he'll keep retreating there every chance he gets. Cats are very resilliant animals, he is just scared and unsure. Once you get him out, he'll see he has somewhere nice to live and settle in.

:goodvibes:

phoozles
January 30th, 2008, 02:58 PM
I agree - a little bit of stress for him (and you!!) right away is better than having him up there for god knows how long..

If they can get him out and lock him up in your room you can cover up the hole and then work on gaining his trust - with the rescue remedy etc., that you've already purchased, it might not take long. :fingerscr

Good luck, and please keep us posted! :grouphug:

nnikol
January 30th, 2008, 08:22 PM
tried coaxing him out but he just wont budge, i put the food on the outside counter lets hope he comes out for it.

kit1469
January 30th, 2008, 09:22 PM
aww .. this sounds so scary for the both of u .. i dont really have anything to add that someone else hasnt already put up but i wanted to wish u luck...

Love4himies
January 31st, 2008, 06:54 AM
You need to get him out as soon as you can, every day he stays up there his health is in jeopardy. He will not hold a grudge if you use a pole to get him out, he will be afraid of the pole, but not you. Animals can't think and reason the same a human.

chico2
January 31st, 2008, 06:54 AM
We often read about"new"cats coming from a shelter,who would spend a while under a couch or any safe place,but eventually slowly venture out.
Maybe this little guy crawls down at night when you are sleeping,if you are able to sleep:confused:
Did HS say they would help out if he does not come down??

nnikol
January 31st, 2008, 09:51 AM
the humane society doesn't help unless the cat is in real danger, becuase he is eating he's not in danger of starvation. However, they did recommend aaa wildlife but only as a last resort.

I' not sure if he comes down while i sleep, i don't think so because the litter is untouched and the food i put out is not eaten.

sigh

Jim Hall
January 31st, 2008, 11:29 AM
you must determinbe wehther he is eating and pooping if he is then leave him for now if he isnt then you need to get him captured by any means neccessary

Love4himies
January 31st, 2008, 11:47 AM
the humane society doesn't help unless the cat is in real danger, becuase he is eating he's not in danger of starvation. However, they did recommend aaa wildlife but only as a last resort.

I' not sure if he comes down while i sleep, i don't think so because the litter is untouched and the food i put out is not eaten.

sigh

In the first paragraph you state he is eating, in the second you state he is not. Put out canned food, add a bit of water and form it into a ball, then you can monitor whether he is eating. If he isn't, you have get him out ASAP. Cats can turn anorexic when stressed or sick.

Try different flavours of cat food, Fancy Feast, canned Salmon or Whitefish and Tuna Pate is a favourite with cats. This food is also known as "kitty crack" they love it so much.

phoozles
January 31st, 2008, 11:58 AM
He's eating in the hole, just not down below.

I would say as soon as you can, take the food out of the hole, and have the smelly food down below. It would be awesome if you could lure him to a room and close the door so he wouldn't go back up there, but I'm not sure how you could do that.. :shrug:

I think he needs to learn now that if he wants food, he's going to have to come down for it (unless of course a day goes by without him eating at all - it's too dangerous for a cat to become anorexic).

nnikol
January 31st, 2008, 12:06 PM
I'm just afraid that is i leave food up there he'll never come down on his own accord. I really don't want he to be taken down with a catch pole...but if he doesn't come down soon it might be my only option.

Amy P
January 31st, 2008, 12:19 PM
I am so sorry you are having such a rough time with your new kitty. :sad: Our cat did the same type of thing. We finally used the catch pole and covered the hole. The cat freaked out during the whole catching procedure :eek: and was a little apprehensive for a while to come around...however she eventually came around with food and soft voice for encouragement. We've had our cat for almost 14 years now and she is still jumpy. I would say do the catch pole now and cover the hole. It will not harm him...make him mad..yes. The sooner you get him down the sooner he can start to calm down and start to get to know you are a friend and only there to love him. I think by leaving him up there his health could become a factor. I wish you the best of luck!!

I have also gotten cat's out of spaces by playing with them. Try a ball of yarn or rope or something. Throw the end rubbed with catnip on it toward him, getting as close as possible. Even over his head would work...by having it touch his fur it may tempt him to attack it.Then slowly wiggle it and see if he shows any interest. It will take a while for him to move forward due to the trust thing but with the catnip it may make it happen a little faster. If you can hear him pull it without looking in the hole . If you see him get to the edge of the hole I wouldn't say anything or even make eye contact. Just continue to play until he comes out. Try and set an easy way for him to play and get out at the same time. Have something near the hole to cover it up quickly. Move the toy he is playing with as far away from the hole so you have enough time to get to the hole...without having to jump up and scare him back toward it. I know I am rambling but this has worked for me before...it seemed like forever twirling a rope around but once they came out I grabbed them held and pet and spoke to them....It took a few times and alot of scratches :eek: but they are great very lovable cats now. Sometimes they just need a little pushy love :rolleyes: to let them know how much we care.:shrug: Good Luck :fingerscr

phoozles
January 31st, 2008, 12:25 PM
I'm just afraid that is i leave food up there he'll never come down on his own accord. I really don't want he to be taken down with a catch pole...but if he doesn't come down soon it might be my only option.

He probably won't - so you'll need to not leave the food up there, talk gently to him, and keep the food down below. See if you can lure him with a toy of some sort. Maybe get some treats - see if you can make a trail so he'll come a little closer.

If it doesn't look like he's budged at all since he's been up there, I'm sorry to say that I think your best plan of action is to get the pole. It will bother him for the moments it takes him to get out, but once he's out and in a room it'll be MUCH easier to deal with him under a bed then up there!

Good luck! :fingerscr :grouphug:

Kristin7
January 31st, 2008, 02:54 PM
Yikes, sorry to hear about your cat troubles! My parent's cat did the same thing, lived up in a crack in the basement ceiling for weeks, though did come down when they weren't around to use the box and eat. Have you tried spraying some of that cat pheromone stuff? It really works to calm cats down, I think the spray works better than the plug in... Another thing that might work if the canned food isn't is some cooked chicken. The smell of this drives my cats wild. Good idea about trying to lure the cat out with toys... I hope something works! :fingerscr:fingerscr I'm sure you've been doing this, but just talk softly in an encouraging voice to the cat, calling for him to come out. I have also gotten cats out of spaces by scaring them out but you would have to come in from the back of the hole. One of mine got into my parent's basement in a hole that led to the bathroom tub on the other side of the wall. She wouldn't come out, so I went and pounded on the tub - it worked! She ran out and my dad grabbed her. If there is a wall on the other side, try knocking on it. Do you have a friend who could come help? Maybe get someone opposite in gender to yourself, in case the cat has a fear of you based on that. Have them try and call the kitty out. If that doesn't work, at least someone would be there to block the hole if you succeeded in scaring him out.

nnikol
January 31st, 2008, 04:40 PM
I've thought of a fear based tactic, but I'm hesitant to use it because i don't want to scare him as to never come out.

nnikol
January 31st, 2008, 08:25 PM
well i called the wildlife rescue and they told be they're is nothing they can do. the shaft is too tight for a catch pole and too small for a humane trap. unless he comes out to eat we can perhaps put a tarp outside. but so far he has not come out to eat...we will wait it out. Either he comes out or no food ( i will try this for three days). I'm not sure if i should put the water up there or leave it next to the food outside. Apparently cats can safely g without water for 3 days.

If that doesn't work I'm fresh out of options.

krdahmer
January 31st, 2008, 09:49 PM
Have you called the fire department yet? I've seen many stories on the tv where they come and help in these situations. Explain to them that you have exhausted every other option and no one will help you. If I read correctly this poor cat has already gone days with no food or water... if so this is desperate. You have to do something now. No more wait and see. It's time to put holes in the walls.... whatever it takes, get this poor cat out.

nnikol
January 31st, 2008, 10:26 PM
the fire department no longer does cat rescue i called them...

he is eating and drinking, that's not the problem the problem is that he wont come down...

My landlord will not allow me to holes in the ceiling to get him out, trust me if it was my own house i would be tearing up the ceiling.

errr this is so stressful

i'm just going to leave the food at the exit, a cat wont intentionally starve himself to death i mean instinctively he should start searching for food.

RUSTYcat
January 31st, 2008, 11:19 PM
I have sent you a private message.....

chico2
February 1st, 2008, 07:46 AM
nnikol,it must be so very heartbreaking for you and nobody willing to help:yell:
Not to scare you,but like you say,cats are"stubborn"and can cause themselves to get sick by refusing to eat.
Did the fostermom tell you he is a scaredy-cat?
Since she has no intention of helping,she must not have cared much for this kitty:sad:who knows what went on before he came to you..
But then again,it's not unusual for cats to hide in a new home.
I was also thinking of scaring him out:yell:like banging on the ceiling,but it could be very risky,he could go further in,right?
Or is the spot where he is as far as he can go???

nnikol
February 1st, 2008, 09:24 AM
No he's in as far as he can go, bu I'm not going to ban on the ceiling. I'll cut a hole in the ceiling before that. Well, I put water up there with a few drops of Rescue Remedy and i left a couple of snacks outside to tempt him to come out. All he has to do is come get some nice tuna, fancy feast, Purina temptations. or kibble. Whatever he desires is outside, I'm going to wait it out for three days. If doesn't come down by then well, we'll see what I'll do next.

Thanks for your support guys! I hope my next post is that i got him out.

nnikol
February 1st, 2008, 09:42 AM
Does anyone know any handy men in the east Toronto area or North York area who could do it for lets say under 200$...I think the hole in the ceiling is the only solution, however it must be someone who has experience with this type of thing i don't want just anyone who might hurt my kitty in the process(with those sharp cutting tools).

chico2
February 1st, 2008, 10:01 AM
nnikol,I think just the sound of a saw or drill would send him scurrying out,I know it would my cats..
When(not if:thumbs up) he comes out,he will probably find another hidingspot for a while,but anything is better than where he is now..
Every day when I open this post I :pray:I'll see HE IS OUT!!!

danaekitty
February 1st, 2008, 10:01 AM
Hope all goes well with the ceiling-cutting. Hopefully, as soon as he hears the noise he'll scoot right out of there and there won't be too much damage.
Take him to a vet as soon as you get him out!
Good luck.

chico2
February 1st, 2008, 10:04 AM
I think he probably would have had enough stress when he comes out,without also going to the vet right away,unless he seems sick or wounded,give him some time..

danaekitty
February 1st, 2008, 11:10 AM
Actually, I agree, chico. After I posted that I regretted saying that last part. Hopefully he'll be fine and just need a little extra time to recover and familiarize himself.

Love4himies
February 1st, 2008, 01:29 PM
nnikol,it must be so very heartbreaking for you and nobody willing to help:yell:
Not to scare you,but like you say,cats are"stubborn"and can cause themselves to get sick by refusing to eat.
Did the fostermom tell you he is a scaredy-cat?
Since she has no intention of helping,she must not have cared much for this kitty:sad:who knows what went on before he came to you..

Yes, it must be very frustrating not getting any help, can't believe the humane society won't help, thought that was what they were there for.

chico, you are right about that foster mom :sad:, if any adopters of my foster kittens needed any help I would be there in a second to help them with anything. I love them so much.

kiara
February 1st, 2008, 02:38 PM
I have a lot of experience with cats. A newly adopted cat often finds a place to hide. This cat maybe just shy or very scared and even semi-feral. We have trapped many of those. They often were scared of people and would disappear in the basemnet in the rafters. They had to be trapped. Don't leave any food or water on top. Set up a trap downstairs with sardines in it. Hunger and the smell will surely make him come down. (After he is trapped make sure he cannot get back up there again!). We always use sardines for trapping. I am surprised that no one offered to help you. Good luck and I think this will work.

krdahmer
February 1st, 2008, 03:20 PM
Just a thought but maybe tv or local news would do a sort of human interest story... you can tell them how no one you contacted would help. You may even get someone like a contractor to help you if they happen to see the story. :2cents: If they could run it this weekend, more people would be home to see it too.

rainbow
February 1st, 2008, 07:32 PM
I also say don't leave any food up there for him and leave some sardines on a plate/bowl below. Most cats love sardines and can't resist the smell. Of course, he will only come down at night when it's dark and quiet so you are going to have to be prepared for that. Good luck. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

I_love_mischa
February 1st, 2008, 08:49 PM
I would scare him out! If you bang on the wall/ceiling long enough he will come out. Just make sure you bang closest to him so he'll run out of the hole!

The day I got Mischa he found a little hole underneath my counter and went inside it. I was SO scared! Luckily he was so tiny and my little brother was at my house with me and he had a small enough hand to pull him out right away! We immediately blocked the hole off and never had to worry since. I cannot imagine how your kitty could be so scared! I agree with everybody tho...the longer he's in there the worse. The sooner you get him out the sooner you can start bonding with him and building trust. I would definitely try banging before drilling a hole. I think it will work and it's worth a shot! How long has it been now since he's been in there? Good luck!! I hope he comes down soon!!! :fingerscr

yoyoman
February 2nd, 2008, 09:32 AM
Don't cut a hole in your ceiling.
You say you don't want to use scare tactics but this is exactly what it is. As soon as the kitty hears the saw cutting and sees it poking into his tunnel, he'll be out of there in a second- leaving you with a hole in your ceiling for nothing. Instead, just bang on the ceiling and he'll come out just as fast.

You have to make his safe place, not-so-safe. That's the only way he'll come out. He's not going to hate you for this. If your intentions are good, your cat can sense it.

danaekitty
February 2nd, 2008, 09:54 AM
Just out of curiosity, does the hole just REEK like cat pee? He's been in there for days - he must be going somewhere, and it's probably seeping into your walls and stuff.

Update us, please!

loopoo
February 4th, 2008, 10:32 PM
any update here? did the kitty finally come out?

nnikol
February 5th, 2008, 01:12 PM
actually he came out on to the electric box...but then went back in.

Love4himies
February 5th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Well that is good isn't it. Have you determined whether he is eating?

RUSTYcat
February 5th, 2008, 01:55 PM
actually he came out on to the electric box...but then went back in.

ALL.....RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's progress........so, the waiting game is proving to be the winning strategy. Best part is, he's doing it on his own.

ANYTHING you can do to encourage his explorations will undoubtedly produce more of these forays....

Frankly, I wouldn't make any move to threaten this (like trying to cover the opening). Eventually, he'll be comfortable enough to begin to explore the whole apartment...then, you can block off that area.

I_love_mischa
February 5th, 2008, 02:41 PM
So....is he still in there??:pawprint:

chico2
February 5th, 2008, 04:14 PM
One step at a time,I'd say,at least he was stretching his legs,,,probably looking for food,or do you still keep it up there?
I see sort of a door in the pic,are you able to close the opening up when he comes down??

Amy P
February 5th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Congrats on the "head Peek"!!! :highfive: You must be exhausted with all the waiting. Hopefully with each day he will creep out more. If he is coming out to eat maybe you could move the food a little bit each day (a couple of inches or so) to encourage exploration in the rest of the home. Good Luck!! :pray: :thumbs up

BusterKitty
February 5th, 2008, 06:06 PM
OMG, this topic is so eye-catching! Everytime something is read, the next update needs to be read:thumbs up:

I hope you have more success soon! At least the little voyage was progress:highfive:

rainbow
February 5th, 2008, 06:18 PM
I agree....one step at a time. :thumbs up I think I would leave some food and a litter box right below where the hole is to see if he gets brave enough to go one step further. Good luck. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

nnikol
February 6th, 2008, 09:59 AM
The food was outside, but he didn't eat it....so i put back up there when I'm home and I put it down when I'm gone. He's getting there slowly...this kitty sure is taking his time.

Love4himies
February 6th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Bet when he does come down, he is going to be a lovebug :lovestruck:.

Amy P
February 6th, 2008, 11:00 AM
I would suggest leaving the food down out of the hole all the time. He is more likely to explore outside of the hole when you are not there. If he gets comfortable without you there he may slowly come out for food when you are home. If he has made the effort to come to the opening of the hole with you there he may be convincing himself you are not so bad. Good Luck and again congrats on the progress!! :thumbs up

danaekitty
February 6th, 2008, 04:57 PM
I agree with Amy P. Having stability and no changes may be what this kitty needs to feel comfortable enough to come out. I too am chacking for updates all the time! Fingers and paws crossed for you.

I_love_mischa
February 6th, 2008, 07:06 PM
I wonder if that cat was litter box trained before you got him? He's prolly gonna have some problems with that when he eventually gets out!?? It's been a long time now...I hope he comes out soon!!!! I check almost everyday too now lol hoping for the good news!!:laughing::cat:

nnikol
February 7th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Alright, I've left the food out for the time being but left about a days supply of food up there and some water as well. I'm going on a bussiness trip for 4 days and I've left him more than enough food and water to last him those days. I spread flour all over the place to see if he comes out. I also left a box on its side it case he wants to hide in there instead of up there.

With any luck :fingerscr my apt will be quiet and he'll be hungry enough to explore instead of starving himself to death.

PLEASE PLEASE come out I'm begging you kitty!

Amy P
February 7th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Keeping my fingers crossed!!! :fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr

Hopefully with the lack of movement in the house he will come out and explore.

Flour on the floor!!!:laughing: :laughing:

If he is out you'd better close the hole before vacuuming up the flour! :D :laughing:

RUSTYcat
February 7th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Some thoughts for your return..........

A VERY QUIET, GENTLE entry
DON'T approach/confront/stare at him
Stay AS FAR AWAY from him as you can
Use the softest volume and tone of voice you can muster
Go about your business, almost ignoring him...let him come TO YOU...

others?????

BusterKitty
February 9th, 2008, 10:28 PM
When are you coming back from your business trip? And remember to tell us if he's left any prints on the flour!:laughing:

chico2
February 10th, 2008, 06:22 AM
I am assuming,he was not alone for the 4 days:shrug:or at least I hope not..
On the other hand,it might have given him the courage to explore,hopefully did not get in to anything dangerous:pray:

want4rain
February 10th, 2008, 09:06 AM
yeah, i couldnt imagine leaving my cats alone for that long but i think that has more to do with the litter box than anythign else!!!

as uncomfortable as it makes me, i hope this guy takes this opportunity to feel the silence and explore a little. the flour idea was brilliant! hopefully it wont discourage him from coming out. :rolleyes:

-ashley

nnikol
February 12th, 2008, 06:52 PM
man that little bugger is not coming out...he just starved himself for 3 days!

I can even see the feces build up...but its not that stinky in there...weird.

danaekitty
February 12th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Oh no... I'm so sad for this little guy. And for you, what a terrible experience. The fact that he's not eating is pretty serious. I think it's time for the drill and saw.

I'm so sorry, I was really rooting for the two of you.

rainbow
February 12th, 2008, 07:09 PM
So no pawprints in the flour. :sad: I really thought he would have come out since no one was there. :shrug:

Good luck with your next plan. :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

loopoo
February 12th, 2008, 07:37 PM
oh boy.. i pray there is a way you can get him out in the next day.. as others said not eating for more than a day is serious stuff with cats.. get him out, and maybe segregate him to a room for a while till he feels safe with his litter box and food, and take the time to talk to him, pet him slowly and get to know him. please keep updating i do hope he is all right

want4rain
February 12th, 2008, 09:48 PM
cats are weird, stubborn, illogical things. if he hasnt come out yet, he isnt going to. dig him out and patch up that hole and any other hole he can get stuck in. be crafty.... think of his size and make sure EVERY SINGLE hole is plugged. while you are plugging up those holes (think cabinets, dryer exhaust, etc) give him his own room and let things work themsevles out.

-ashley

duttypaws
February 13th, 2008, 06:33 AM
omg how are you coping?!!?.... i just found this its so sad and wierd at the same time... but cats are so slinky and will be ok up there...

my new cat did this she went into the attic and REFUSED to budge for a week in the end we used a grab pole and a friend got her out and I hid (so they didnt link me to brutal grabbing of her....) she was shocked for like an hour... so I put rescue in her water etc when she came out for a few days... :)

i think u have to do that then just wait on them to heal....

me thinks ur cat know she is boss!?

chico2
February 13th, 2008, 07:33 AM
On no,I think now it's time for someone to intervene,maybe the Humane Society,thinks it's now serious enough to use a catch-pole.
Poor little guy,he might now be too weak to jump down..:sad:

Love4himies
February 13th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Call the humane society, it is now life and death, they rescue other animals why not a cat who hasn't eaten for days.

If you get no success call a vet to get some advice, if you get no success there, call the media to see if a public story will get the humane society off their butts to help.

Jim Hall
February 13th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Really if he isnt eating at all you are going to have a very sick kitty

krdahmer
February 13th, 2008, 10:03 AM
IF you dont get this cat out now he is not just going to be sick (and i imagine he is already in dire need of medical attention:sad:)... he is going to die. Call the humane society again and do not take no for an answer it is absolutely ridiculous that they would not come out. Or the fire department. If you get no answers again from them, it is time to call a wildlife rescue place and have them do whatever it takes... bust open the ceiling or whatever. Deal with the landlord later.

This poor cat is going to die if you don't act immediately.

Love4himies
February 13th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Deal with the landlord later.

Landlords fault for having that hole in the ceiling in the first place.

badger
February 13th, 2008, 10:55 AM
I agree, time to saddle up. Don't you have a couple of strong, long-armed friends who can help you?
I'd rig up something with a long handle that could scoop him forward and out of the hole, with someone standing by to catch him. Of course he'll freak out big-time (wear gloves, maybe a hat) but he has obviously decided that coming out voluntarily is not an option, even if it means starving.

Gibbons
February 13th, 2008, 11:06 AM
If he is definitely not eating- then yeah, this isn't just nervousness, this has turned into a phobia about budging and he's not getting over it on his own. Poor baby. If the landlord is nervous about holes in the ceiling.. well.. it's just going to get worse if the cat doesn't eat! Then the landlord will really have something to be upset about.

Time to make some more holes, I'd say.

Kristin7
February 13th, 2008, 11:30 AM
How about banging on the wall or ceiling near where the cat is? If that doesn't work, then try making a hole in the ceiling. The cat has to come out, and if he won't on his own, you will have to take more drastic measures than you have been. The cat will get over his scare after he comes out with love and food. Maybe the cat is ill and that is why he hasn't budged. Regardless, he needs to see a vet asap.

Is it possible to make the hole where he went in bigger, rather than making a new hole? i looked at the pics and I can't tell....

duttypaws
February 13th, 2008, 01:22 PM
what baout a fishing net?! can you go in from the top? i think its time to drag the kitty out.... this cat is wanting to be boss!

rainbow
February 13th, 2008, 01:27 PM
I agree with everyone.....you have to get him out NOW. Good luck. :fingerscr :goodvibes: :grouphug:

dustybird
February 13th, 2008, 02:49 PM
I am with everyone else you need to get him out now any way you can.

Once a cat has started to starve himself for whatever reason getting them to eat is very hard. They reach a point where the smell of food makes them nautious and he may want to eat but just cannot bring himself to do it. He needs veterinary care...now.

I know this has been hard on you and very hard on him and I am sorry this happened but you need to take action now. You've tried the waiting game and it didn't work and waiting longer is just not going to end well.

I don't mean to be harsh but I am really worried as I am sure you and everyone on here is about him.

Amy P
February 14th, 2008, 09:43 AM
I agree with duttypaws...fishing nets come in different lengths and sizes. If it is not long enough tape a broom handle to the end of it. Heck even nudging him with bristle end of a broom at this point. The broom bristles won't hurt him...and at this point light bumping from a broom to get him out is for his own safety! Even if you can't get him in the net getting it next to him you could gently nudge him toward you. I would wear safety goggles if you can't get your face away from him on his way out. Have someone at the end of the hole to close it up immediately. He probably should be forced into a carrier from the hole and taken directly to the vet. I would imagine he needs fluids by now. :sick: Good Luck!!! :fingerscr

danaekitty
February 14th, 2008, 10:01 AM
He is DEFINITELY needing fluids!!!
I agree with the fishing net idea, and I also thought your idea of not being around when it happens is a good one, so he doesn't associate you with the ordeal, although he mey be so weak he won't recognize it as such.

Please DO something, nikkol! Standing there and wringing your hands while waiting for him to die will not solve any problems. I will drive there and help you MYSELF if you have no-one that is able to help you with this problem.
I can imagine how upset and frantic you must be feeling at this point... but I think I can say with confidence that we who have been following this from the beginning are getting very frustrated with your situation and the fact that it doesn't seem to be going anywhere. This should have ended a long time ago.
Do you realize it has been nearly THREE WEEKS since this cat has taken up residence and hungerstrike in what could end up being his grave?

I'M BEGGING YOU, PLEASE TAKE ACTION, BUY A NET, CHOP HOLES, BANG DOWN DOORS, YELL AND SCREAM AT ANYONE WHO HAS REFUSED TO HELP YOU BEFORE!!!

krdahmer
February 14th, 2008, 10:36 AM
:pray: You'll have good news for us soon.... :pray: :fingerscr

Dutchess' Human
February 14th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Because the cat has been going to the washroom up there, even ignoring the needs of the cat the drywall needs to come down. As others have said, start taking it down ASAP.

You don't need a saw to cut drywall. A putty knife does the trick quite well enough, but takes a little time. If you don't want to do it more slowly, make a hole big enough to get a plumber's hacksaw into, then cut out the drywall with that. Here's what one looks like, bring the picture to Home Depot and they'll set you straight. There's nothing sharp here so unless the cat actually pushes with force against the side of the blade it'll be impossible to hurt him. Start cutting from the back towards the front, as that might scare him out.

http://www.casupply.co.uk/acatalog/close_quater_hacksaw_1.gif

Good luck with the cat. Drywall repair is really easy FYI, you can have it back to 100% for about $50 and a few days work (re-painting is the biggest time component).

Seriously, if you haven't already you have to act now for the cat's sake.

nnikol
February 14th, 2008, 12:36 PM
he is eating and drinking...as long as i put it up there with him.

The net idea will not work, the entrance is at a right angle so any pole that's not flexible and that is at the right length will not be able to reach were he is.

Also, the ceiling is not drywall, it is wood! So cutting a hole at the moment is not high up on my options list. As long as he eats I'm not cutting a hole, he's not in danger of dieing.

I'm going to attempt to slowly move the food further and further away I have got him the point where he comes really close the exit. The next step is the electric box and then I'll go from there.

I also have bought a humane trap so if he does come out, i will be able to trap him.

clm
February 14th, 2008, 01:15 PM
OK, this is going to sound cruel to some people I'm sure, but get the humane trap and set it somewhere in the room where he can see it if he pokes his head out. Get yourself a live mouse and put it in a small cage inside the trap. Make sure there's lots of bedding in the cage with the mouse so he can hide and not see the cat when the cat pounces on it trying to get at him or a small hollow piece of wood or bark that he can get into to feel safe away from the cat.

You might be able to try a remote control mouse as well if you can buy one, put it in the humane trap and having it motoring around. You'll find both ways faster with the lights off in the room. If you have a closet or something you can sit in to watch all the better.

Cindy

danaekitty
February 14th, 2008, 02:15 PM
:laugh: Imagine the poor little mouse!
At this point, I doubt the cat would notice the mouse, what with his insistence of staying in the hole, nor would he have the energy to stalk the mouse, considering he's been malnourished for three weeks.

chico2
February 14th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Wow,lot's of advice nnikol,if you are sure he is eating and drinking,he will be ok,but still needs to come down.
I would try HS again,you can always lie and say he is not eating(me bad)..and it's been a long while now.
They have the right stuff to drag him out,I think.
We have our electrical box pretty well the same way,but with sliding doors so it's closed.

I hope that when and if he comes down,you'll still keep him,after this ordeal,for both you and him:fingerscr

Dutchess' Human
February 14th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Not drywall? So is it just plywood that's painted? If so, can you see the edges between the plywood pieces? If you can, just locate the screws and unscrew the entire piece.

More ideas:

Drill a hole behind the cat (measure about 10 times to make sure it's right, maybe even try to access from the next room). Put a tube whistle in the hole, blow. Or put something that will squirt water up there (parts from a watergun), be careful with this though as those wires could cause a problem. Or get a tube with high pressure air and use that to scare him out the other end. Or try to get a vacuum up there. Basically, anything to scare the cat out the other end. Whatever you do, DON'T try to scare the cat from the front.

Can you get a laser pointer? There aren't too many cats that can resist a laser pointer. Or throw a piece of string towards him and drag it back towards you. Try and get the cat playing with you.

Other foods that may attract interest for a cat are yogurt, deli meats, anchovies/sardines, baby food (esp. fish or poultry), cheese, hard boiled eggs, tuna and salmon.

If none of that works (try scare tactics as a last resort as it will reduce the effectiveness of any other tactic), I'd be absolutely all out of ideas. If it were me though, there'd already be half my ceiling missing :)

14+kitties
February 14th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Just as a side note..... the longer he is up there the harder it will be to socialize him.
I pray every night that I will see good news when I see this thread. So sad. :sad:

nnikol
February 14th, 2008, 06:01 PM
I was thinking of drilling a hole, but my landlord will hear nothing of it. I will try that only as a last resort. I've tried all those foods he eats them and goes back in to his corner and when i put it outside, they just go dry.

I've also tried the laser...he looks at it is interested in it but wont follow it.

Trust me if it where my house they would be a ceiling missing, my landlord told me i would be facing possible eviction if i did anything to his ceiling without his consent. And i have no time right now to move.

Of course I'm going to keep the cat i understand what he's going through but its been three weeks..I'm feeding him good food saying nice things being very quiet. Why wont he trust me and see that I will not harm him if he comes out!

I've never seen this before and I have taking care of 5 animals in the past 4 dogs and a cat. I thought a cat would be easier to take care of!

loopoo
February 14th, 2008, 10:47 PM
this has me so upset... only because i really want that kitty out there he must be so terrified.. every cat is different.. who knows what he went through before..
someone made the suggestion of putting something really enticing a bit farther out, tuna, sardines, try whatever works have you tried that instead of the usual cat food or treats? i really hope to hear good news soon. and when he is out, monitor him closely, and a vet visit would be a very good thing.

loopoo
February 14th, 2008, 10:53 PM
okay, i went through the threat again.. you said you did try every treat known and it didnt work, my apologies.. you did mention something about a certain type of pole though.. what if you got someone else to use that pole to get him out.. this isnt something that would hurt him obviously just startle him right? then you take him from there and keep him in your room till he has time to adjust. poor thing, some cats are just much more easily traumatized..

BusterKitty
February 14th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Wow, he still hasn't come down? Have you tried banging? You never commented about that..and it's not gonna hurt the ceiling so your landlord can't say anything.

If you stick yourself in the hole, would he come up and sniff you at all? My friend let her cat smell her like crazy on the first few days and they bonded pretty quickly.

Amy P
February 15th, 2008, 10:52 AM
What kind of wood is your ceiling? Is it plywood that has been painted...knotty pine (tongue and groove)? We have knotty pine ceilings the are connected and held together with small nails, is it possible to take down a section and put it back up without any cutting...maybe just new screws or nails? :shrug:
I know this is so hard for you and you are probably getting frustrated with all he questions...just trying to help. :fingerscr

Amy P
February 15th, 2008, 10:55 AM
Do you know a handyman that could come look at the ceiling and make any suggestions for removing the wood without harming it and replacing it again? What's wih the landlord? :shrug: Why would he want the cat filling up the ceiling with feces? It will beging to smell eventually. :yuck: Just wondering.

Okami
February 15th, 2008, 10:59 AM
=) how about using those swiffer poles
they can be dis assmbeled and brought up in smaller pieces

Amy P
February 15th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Don't know why I didn't think of this before!! :wall: (Thanks OKAMI you gave me the idea)

:lightbulb: What about a tent pole. They are connected by bungies and you could assemble it in the hole. They are long and if it is too long you could leave the end unattached and let it hang down! Just another thought! Good Luck :fingerscr

I_love_mischa
February 15th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Wow, that poor kitty. I cannot believe how long it has been! I really don't think he's gonna be enticed out of the hole. You're going to have to force him out! He wouldn't stay in there this long if he had any plans of comeing out! Bang like crazy and get him out!!!!:pray::thumbs up

cpietra16
February 15th, 2008, 12:59 PM
I know this may be creating a bigger problem, but what if you add another cat up there, He may follow the other cat out...Use a very social cat...maybe a friend may lend you hers????? Just my thought...:shrug:

kit1469
February 15th, 2008, 01:08 PM
has anyone concidered that this cat might be hurt????! that could be a reason why its not coming down ... and eating aside its sitting in its own waste so its probably sick .. do u know of any person that can do that with out getting really ill and not having raw infected sores eveywhere ... you no what this may sound harsh but DO SOMETHING ALREADY .. if this was a human child would u leave it up there .. STOP BEING SO SELFISH and have some respect for this poor kitty .. who cares if it dosent like you after its dragged out of there? obviously it dosent like you right now . im sorry i no this sounds mean but u have to get it out this cat is definately in pain and ur being cruel . :mad: .. if ur willing to let the cat live in pain and eventually die maybe u shouldnt own a pet .

dustybird
February 15th, 2008, 03:10 PM
I agree with calling the humane society again and sure lie(the lie has good intensions). Tell them your really worried, cry if you can to be more effective.

I also agree that if the ceiling is wood you should be able to find where the different parts are nailed or screwed into the studs/rafteres and unscrew or gently use a pry bar, you can easily put it back up and with a little paint ....mean landlord won't know.

I really do think you could get the wood panels off the ceiling without much damage, at least you would have more flexability of getting to him and possibly be able to clean up what he's left behind and you wouldn't be cutting a hole.

Again I agree that he needs to see a vet once he's out of there.

I wish I had more to add but everything has pretty much been said or suggested.

Okami
February 15th, 2008, 03:11 PM
=) I believe nnikol is has done and is still doing things already. Lets not rush to conclusions here, what may seem the quickest route may not be the safest.

I was wondering if you by chance could give me a little info about how big this hole is to your roof
how large is the hole leading to your roof, and how large is the hole(um little corridor) your cat has made a camp in =)?

From the pictures I'm guessing that you're cat is stuck way down at the end of what seems like a small horizontal hole.

Here's a few ideas I came up with.
Grab swiffer sticks and attach a net to the end of it, the poles can be taken appart to fit through the hole and then re assembeled in the hole.

Scaring him (though I don't really recommend it) You can get one of those toy remote cars, or if you're really good.... mini airplanes and try to heard him out (I'm not exactly sure how big the space is up there)

Make another hole. Maybe your cat feels that open spaces are hostile. Setup a small crate with a blanket over it or a number of small long boxes with a towel inside, put a bit of food and water in each. Put these near the hole your cat is in and try to stay away from the boxes as much as you can. Go only to provide food and water. Seeing another safe quite place nearby may provoke him to travel down more often.

=P just some things to do until the humane society starts thinking right.

I_love_mischa
February 15th, 2008, 03:50 PM
I think just the sound of a drill coming through his safe spot will scare him out! I doubt she'd even have to go as far as to really cut a big hole. Drilling or banging...I think it's worth a shot. I just really hope he's not hurt or dying!

BusterKitty
February 17th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Aww, please, more updates!:cry:I just hope he hasn't developed a disease(but regarding the amount of time he's been up there, it would be amazing if he hadn't).

Does he mind if you peek up there? Or does he hiss or something? He should've started seeing you as something positive by now. Oh, kittay, please come down!:pray:

onster
February 17th, 2008, 07:09 PM
ummmm. I'm so confused.

The landlord realises that No matter what, if he ends up with a dead cat in there he will need to tear up the cieling??

That and even IF ure kitty comes out at this point, that wall will need to be torn down anyway cuz even if you can stand living in ure appartment with cat poo and pee in your walls, I don't think the next tenants will appreciate it much.

So basically at this point he's gonna have to saw through the wood anyways, so might as well do it when you can save the cat???

Have you told your landlord these 2 scenarios which are lose-lose for the wall? Even if the cat is eating, you should lie to him and tell him that it isn't and is very weak, close to dying. Even if he thinks its ok to have poop in the wall I'm pretty sure he's not down with dead animals.

I hate to be so blunt..but I mean, what the heck.

BusterKitty
February 17th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Never thought about it that way onster. Lying to many might be the only way out:thumbs up

t.pettet
February 17th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Can someone involved in 'rescue' in the Toronto area GO to the apt. and get the cat out themselves, without sawing holes? Maybe an experienced cat rescuer with a long pole or poles attached together could intervene for the cat's sake and then re-home it.

hazelrunpack
February 17th, 2008, 08:29 PM
If your vet gave you something that might lightly sedate the cat that you could put in his food, would you be able to reach him back there when he went to sleep?

nnikol
February 18th, 2008, 09:26 AM
good news he's coming out to eat! But he goes right back in!

However, he only does this when I'm not home. ( i know this because i put flour on the floor)

I'm going to move the food further away. He if he comes out eve further.

Info:
The hole is very small but big enough for a 6 kilo cat to enter. I can barley stick one arm in let alone a tent pole or anything else of the sort. One of my work buddies is a amateur handy man, and he says its a heating/air condition duct area. Evey house has one, although most places don't have access point like i have. Cutting the hole will be harder than it seems. We'll have to cut the power(remember I'm in a apartment so that might be cutting power to some of my neighbors as well, my landlord wont like that!) There's also tons of insulation in there due to the fact that's were the central air comes out from, also probably why my kitty likes it up there so much. His conclusion, that should be a last resort because he's going to need professional help.

Also the kitty, has a little litter pan(baking pan full of litter) up there so I've been able to keep it clean for the past few days. He's also been eating very well for the past few days. I think that's a good sign. He's not sick, he's maybe getting fat! I have sedatives, but I'm hesitant to use them just yet.

BusterKitty
February 18th, 2008, 10:01 AM
At least he's sorta coming out. He uses the mini litterbox right?

Wow! He's not sick!:D

Again, good luck:thumbs up

chico2
February 18th, 2008, 11:45 AM
nnikol,that's HUGE progress:thumbs up
I would be tempted to even let him have that space as his comfort-place,once he is down and comfortable with you,no more afraid.
That is,if he cannot get further in and get stuck.
My 3 cats all have their hidingspots for when the vaccum is dragged upstairs:laughing:
:pray:for slow and steady progress,since he is eating and going to the bathroom,there is no immediate danger of him getting sick:cat:

Jim Hall
February 18th, 2008, 11:50 AM
cool the little scootch finally got hungry enough
I ca tellyou what I did whith my shy kitty I read to her we went through about three novels till before she came out from downn under the bed and when she came out it was completly unexpected
as lonng as she is eatinng and pooping she will be ok

RUSTYcat
February 18th, 2008, 12:37 PM
...I would be tempted to even let him have that space as his comfort-place...

SAFE hiding spaces are essential...but this area?????

What if there's an emergency...a fire, a forced evacuation?

kiara
February 18th, 2008, 12:40 PM
This is my second post. This situation is becoming desperate, since the cat has not had exercise in a long time. Have you considered calling the wildlife department? Offer them a few $ (under the table) and they for sure will come and help you. Poor kitty, he is so scared.

chico2
February 18th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Kiara,I doubt he would be less scared would the wild-life people come out and they charge a min of $100.
The kitty is eating,drinking and pooping,so he stays healthy,I am hoping he'll start investigating the apt at night,maybe realizing it's not a dangerous place:pray:

Love4himies
February 18th, 2008, 05:43 PM
I am so happy he is eating. There are some stories on this forum that really catch many peoples eyes and this is one. As long as he is eating, has a place to go to the bathroom, the only thing that needs to be added is patience and love.

Jim, you know that all too well with DU, lol.

Do you have any history on this cat?? Almost sounds like he was abused or feral.

Good luck and we love that you keep us updated.

loopoo
February 18th, 2008, 05:49 PM
glad to hear that he is coming a bit further out to eat, drink, so moving a bit further every day sounds like a good idea, and glad that he is using the litter box. I hope you dont have to use sedatives.. if for any reason that was a necessity i assume that they would be vet approved:). Are there any toys you leave around a bit further outside that area? Maybe get a few different kinds, you mentioned that this cat was from a good home when you got them.. maybe one of those toys will spark their interest and get them even further out. i really hope this little guy comes out soon, and that the hole is then blocked up. I have mentioned this in other posts.. do you have a radio that you could leave on softly playing some classical or very soft music? this tends to mellow many animals..

BusterKitty
February 18th, 2008, 05:54 PM
If sedatives ARE used, what if kitty starts to doze off in the back of the hole? How are you gonna get him out then?:confused:If you have lots of spare time, just read to him or call up a friend and talk to him/her on the phone for a while near kitty. He'll get used to your voice and hopefully, associate you as something positive...like catnip:cloud9:

Amy P
February 18th, 2008, 08:23 PM
:thumbs up:goodvibes::goodvibes:
I am so excited to hear he is coming out! With moving the food further away I wonder if putting a box on the floor near the old hole (so he doesn't have to wander too far, Completely closed except for cutting out a small hole for him to get into) and rubbing some catnip around the opening or food inside, small blanket etc. Perhaps he will think of making this his new hiding space? I think it is wonderful how much patience you have shown him! I bet he will turn out to be the most loveable cat when he learns to trust you. :lovestruck::thumbs up Good luck! Keep us posted!! :cat::goodvibes:

I_love_mischa
February 18th, 2008, 09:06 PM
It's sooooooo good to hear he's making progress! It must be so frustrating to you. I agree, you are showing him a great deal of patience that I'm sure he will soon appreciate. The moment he comes out when you're around, though, you have to close that place off!!!

chico2
February 19th, 2008, 06:58 AM
Yeah,I changed my mind,maybe it's not a good idea to leave that space open after he comes down:confused:
I was just thinking of him having a panic-attack once he realizes he cannot get back to his "safe"spot:cat:

danaekitty
February 19th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Hooray! Hooray hooray hooray!!!!!!!!
Sounds like things are getting a little better, you may not need to cut anything yet, which is good because it sounds like it will turn into a huge hassle.
When he finally comes out, I think you're absolutely righht and you'll have a little butterball on your hands.
Good luck to you, nikkol, you're doing great!

phoozles
February 19th, 2008, 02:06 PM
:thumbs up
Great news that he's making progress - too bad it's taken this long for it to happen! I guess now you just need to make sure that you don't rush things and freak him out.

clm
February 19th, 2008, 02:10 PM
I think he's making wonderful progress. It's going to be wonderful to hear how he's doing step by step. You're gonna look back at the beginning of this thread one day and say my goodness this was a tough little kitty to bring around.

Cindy

BusterKitty
February 20th, 2008, 08:18 PM
It might sound rude but, anymore updates? It's such an interesting situation and we wanna help >< Please don't leave us hanging!:yell:

Love4himies
February 24th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Has your kitty come out?? Please let us know, we are concerned.

rainbow
February 25th, 2008, 01:06 PM
We need another update. :cat:

nnikol
February 26th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Sorry for the late reply I have been away on business, no has not come down I'm left food out for over 5 days and that has not enticed him to come down. I'm afraid he will starve himself rather than come down for food(i mean how long will a cat hold out until instinct kicks in). I know he can come down my roommate has seen him do it.

The good news is that the old owner is coming over next week to try and coax him out. (FINALLY!) and for now I'm going to try and make him as calm as possible.

BusterKitty
February 26th, 2008, 05:40 PM
His old owner? The shelter keeps track? Never knew that!:laughing:

Poor kitty! Now will the humane society help? He's not eating(is he drinking?!?!?!) so they should consider this an emergency:sad:Why won't he come out ><

Thanks for the update!...even though it was a little sad:cry:

loopoo
February 26th, 2008, 06:46 PM
wow please update us when they do.. are you putting the food back up closer where he can eat it now? cats cannot go without food for that long, it can make them seriously ill.. i really hope he is going to be okay:fingerscr

nnikol
February 27th, 2008, 01:38 PM
I put the food back up there and he eats like a normal kitty.

Jim Hall
February 27th, 2008, 02:04 PM
man that is onne tough stubborn kitty sonds like having the previous owner may be a good idea i am suprised that he isnt bored out of his mind by now one of the things i tried to coax my girl out was cyprohetradine i got form the vet it is a appetie enhancer and at least woth DU tuned her into a love bug maybe that would work

aslan
February 27th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Hi just started reading your post, sorry for your troubles. I do home renovations for a living. from what i can see from your one picture, it isn't a heating duct, it is the spaces between the two floor joices. By the strapping I can see going one way i'm going to assume your ceiling is tongue and groove. If once the owner comes over you still haven't gotten him out, let me know. Screw the landlord, nothing can't be taken apart that can't be put back together. I'm more concerned about the cat at this point. Where abouts in toronto are you, i live in south etobicoke. Keep us posted. Oh by the way, no charge.

CyberKitten
February 27th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Sedatives are a hugely bad idea!! You do not know his medical history and some cats actually - many in fact - react the opposite to sedation unless it is a very strong one but not knowing his weight and all the facts necessary to administer meds, it's just not wise and could hurt him or worse!! Catnip also is not good- it'll either make him hyper or like many cats, he may nor respond to it at all.

I can't see why someone with the knowledge of the plans for that place- the owners- cannot come and help. If they had the hole, as someone said- they are partially responsible for this problem. I know no new cats should be allowed in a large area and should be in a small area but you are new at this so there is nothing to be gained in asking yourself why - it's done now and you need to concentrate on getting him out and soon!!!

I would not worry about specialization - any cat can be socialized. It is his health - both emotional and physical that is urgent now. If you can get someone with plans to get into the space, someone who understands cats - someone from a rescue group maybe - you may be able to catch him that way? Is there room for a humane trap there. Put some tuna in it and a warm blanket - all things that will draw him to it and then let it do its work and then just go and get the trap and him - and let him out in a VERY small area where it is just him and you. Like a bathroom or a closet even. Cats- especially scared one- live small spaces- and he possibly had a hidey hole before where he could go so he had to find another one.

I pray he is eating and drinking because otherwise- after 4 days- you will have one sick cat who could have severe kidney and liver illness. I would place lots of food all over the place up there and even if you cold put it one place and gradually keep moving it til it is closer to where he has to come out. Is that at all possible? Do YOU know what it looks like up there? Can you sit down with someone to formulate a plan.

Recall the young cat (kitten) who got stuck in the down some drain in NYC (or some other large city). A snake type light with a videocam was inserted and they could see the kitten. Is that a possibility - can city hall or city workers help? If you know someone there or know someone who does or even someone at a hardware store with one of these machines, you cod try that and at least see that he is OK.

I once had a feral someone had brought to me in a burlap bag (Their parent was going to drown the poor animal and she wanted help from me even tho I was a teenager at the time.) I was young and foolish enough to let the kitty out - even with experience with ferals (It was not one of my swifter days, lol) but I shut the door quickly and the cat literally was bouncing off the walls. He sound a place underneath a couch or chesterfeld that was almost impossible to get at without taking it apart and even then one had to be prepped to have a net or trap for the cat. So we took it apart - it was in a "rec" room so I figured the name was appropriate and extremely apt because it was pretty wrecked after it all, lol

I had people to help though and we turned the couch over and could see the cat and he was hanging on with his claws for dear life (poor baby!) - my guess is he knew what the girl's father had in mind and did not see us in any better way. Cats are VERY smart animals! Finally, we opted to put fod under the couch and let him come out when he was good and ready. We played soft music, talked to him and that is often the case with ferals anyway- it can take 2 weeks to a month or sometimes longer for them to adjust to the new surroun=dings. Of course, the couch would have to go after this - he was doing his thing there but we inserted a small litter box with earth because that is what he knew - and he did use it after awhile, once he figured out no one was hurting him. We would put string there (and hold it so as not to loose it and have him swallow it and have another medical emergency). I believe it took 3 weeks but he did finally come out on his own terms and got to know us but it was not easy. We had to keep all the other critters out so that's also important. Just soft music, no scary stuff or noises, we did not have any Rescue remedy in those days , never mind Feliway. What about a feliway diffuser? Would that help in your situation or did I read that?

Anyway -I would try to see him, keep feeding him ad make certain he is receiving food and water and has litter and even toys. let him come out on his own accord and all can work out. If you pull him out, he may associate the trauma of that with you - making it difficult to built up a relationship. of course, you could have someone from a rescue group (There are so many are here not in the Toronto area???) Surely to God someone can assist you!!!!!

Good luck - these are just the thoughts off the top of my head after seeing this for the 1st time. What does the Humane Society say about his background and health? Was he ever feral? Did he suffer some trauma and that is why he is hiding - though it is not uncommon for cats to find little hidey holes. I have read of cats staying in some for for months! But when it is necessary for heath reasons, you may have to get someone to get him out of there. And some way that does not scare him or hurt him!!!!!!!

Good luck!!!!

Oh and cats are not stubbiorn in the anthropomorphic way we think - they act like well, cats- he is a scared kitty who need helps and love!!!! Blink at him, do not stare and give him food, toys and most of all , love!!!

aslan
February 27th, 2008, 02:31 PM
I went back and looked at the pictures again. Are you sure it.s not drywall, from the one picture i don't see any wood. Anyway, whatever it is it's screwed in, you can see the screw in the picture of the cat. Oh if you're really concerned about the landlord, I can give you a couple of things to tell him. 1. If the ceiling isn't drywall(firerated) then it is not building code approved. hmmm illegal. 2. If you don't have two doors to get to the outside in your apt. It's an illegal bsmt apt. If he threatens to boot you out, threaten to report him. your inconvenience, he gets very large fines. Wanna bet he backs off.

danaekitty
February 27th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Screw the landlord, nothing can't be taken apart that can't be put back together. I'm more concerned about the cat at this point. Where abouts in toronto are you, i live in south etobicoke. Keep us posted. Oh by the way, no charge.

You are a hero.

aslan
February 27th, 2008, 02:51 PM
I just wish I had read the post earlier....

krdahmer
February 27th, 2008, 03:57 PM
:fingerscr that nnikol reads this soon!! What an :angel: you are to offer your help!!! :grouphug: I think we will all be grateful... I know for me this has become the most frustrating thread ever!

nnikol
February 27th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Thanks for your help, it could be drywall and I'm just mistaken.

I'm going to wait until the old owners come next and see if they can coax him out. Then I'll go from there. (i.e hole in the wall time)

I've tried the Feliway diffuser and spray and I'm still trying it its plugged in right near the exit. The hole is too small for any cage, I have a humane trap, but if he doesn't come out its useless.

For now he's doing as well as a cat in the ceiling can possibly be. He's eating and drinking and the food placed very close to the exit. So for now I'll going to just play soft jazz just calm him down.

CyberKitten
February 27th, 2008, 06:27 PM
That's a great point aslan re the owner!!

Yep, soft music- easy listening stuff (I am not sure about jazz, never tried that with a cat but maybe he'll like it - some of them can be picky , mine like celtic but they have to - they live in Nova Scotia, lol) and also talk to him so he adjusts to your voice and will be less scared when he finally comes out. He'll know the voice. Also if you can get some really sweaty tee short of towl of yours - with your scent on it and get it up there, he just might sleep on it or at least smell it and then he'll adjust to your scent and that'll speed up the process as well.

You are dong well- especial;ly where he is eating!! I know it is frustrating but hand in there. we are all rooting for him and you- I so wish I was closer!! You could always name him seeker - like harry Potter only he seeks holes in the wall, :D

Take care and again, good luck!!!

pbpatti
February 27th, 2008, 11:38 PM
nnikol, wow have you ever been through the wringer with this kitty. you will have the most wonderful story to tell your grandchildren, how I rescued a cat and then had to rescue it again. I have only read this thread today and I believe that you have done the best for this kitty and patience that you have shown will lead you to??? I so hope that your kitty comes out of her/his hidey spot soon and you may be able to bond with each other, nose to nose. WOW is all I can say. keep up the good vibes. pbp

aslan
February 28th, 2008, 05:38 AM
Just an idea, by anychance do you have a speaker phone or cell phone you can put on speaker. Get the orignal owner on the phone calling poor kitty. Might work.

babykitten
February 29th, 2008, 10:37 PM
That cat will come down as soon as it feel safe no worries .hope ya good luck :thumbs up

babykitten
February 29th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Call the the place you got him and talk to feline services about the issue . the cat looks ok and is scared from the new smells and sounds and he found an place where no one can harm him . the cat just chilling :thumbs up

Love4himies
March 3rd, 2008, 06:17 AM
Any updates?

nnikol
March 3rd, 2008, 06:27 PM
no yet, since he's chillin' I'm chillin'...the old owner will be over this Thursday..I'll give more updates then.

rainbow
March 3rd, 2008, 06:53 PM
Good luck on Thursday. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Love4himies
March 4th, 2008, 05:54 AM
Sometimes ignoring a cat is what a cat is attracted to. Good luck, hope the foster mom is able to get the kitty out.

loopoo
March 9th, 2008, 10:41 PM
any updates here?

duttypaws
March 10th, 2008, 06:24 AM
yeah i was wondering this too.... :fingerscr:fingerscr

nnikol
March 10th, 2008, 02:46 PM
due to business i had to reschedule for today...so its the moment of truth tonight.

duttypaws
March 10th, 2008, 03:01 PM
oooh let us know and post piccies of kitty!!!

phoozles
March 10th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Good luck nnikol! :fingerscr that this will be the end of the madness!

Love4himies
March 10th, 2008, 05:09 PM
:pray::fingerscr:fingerscr:pray:

rainbow
March 10th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Good luck.....I hope this works. :fingerscr :goodvibes: :fingerscr :goodvibes:

nnikol
March 11th, 2008, 02:46 PM
it did not work...he's still up there. sigh

duttypaws
March 11th, 2008, 04:01 PM
oh no :sad:

Me thinks it is time for the wall to come dooooooown... why not get the plug in that people are talking about to calm him a little... (i.e. before you smash the wall down)

Good Luck.

rainbow
March 11th, 2008, 04:09 PM
I think you should pm Aslan ....

Hi just started reading your post, sorry for your troubles. I do home renovations for a living. from what i can see from your one picture, it isn't a heating duct, it is the spaces between the two floor joices. By the strapping I can see going one way i'm going to assume your ceiling is tongue and groove. If once the owner comes over you still haven't gotten him out, let me know. Screw the landlord, nothing can't be taken apart that can't be put back together. I'm more concerned about the cat at this point. Where abouts in toronto are you, i live in south etobicoke. Keep us posted. Oh by the way, no charge.

loopoo
March 11th, 2008, 04:19 PM
i agree the cat may not be feeling well being up there, and at this point it has been way too long, if aslan offered to help it would be a good idea to contact them.. please keep us updated :fingerscr

BusterKitty
March 11th, 2008, 05:08 PM
What did the previous owner say? Did he/she give any tips at all?

nnikol
March 11th, 2008, 07:01 PM
nothing that i haven't tried already

rainbow
March 11th, 2008, 07:16 PM
So have you decided what you're going to do?

Love4himies
March 12th, 2008, 08:40 AM
Call your local humane society and municipal animal control. If they won't help call the media, bad publicity will get one of the two off their a$$es to help. Your kitty may be sick and need medical attention due to the length of time he has been up there.

danaekitty
March 12th, 2008, 09:28 AM
nnikol - you are killing us here.

You are clearly out of options... Why are you so afraid of your landlord? Is your apartment so beautifully amazing that you won't risk losing it to save a life?

Please take some of the advice given to you on this two month old thread...nothing you are doing on your own is working, and you don't seem to be trying very hard in other areas that have been suggested. If you give me the numbers of animal control, shelters, newspapers in your area, I will call and pester them on your behalf. I will call them twice a day, if you are too busy.

Or, call Aslan!!! This member is so concerned for your kitty that they have offered top come to your house and do the work for you at no charge - your LL doesn't even need to know.

I am BEGGING you... I'm starting to lose hope for your kitty.

Deda Brada
March 12th, 2008, 09:53 AM
I put the food back up there and he eats like a normal kitty.

I saw your post today, I am pretty bit late, but anyway, let me suggest you something.

Put the food at which he got used in your room one day, when nobody is home, and don't be surprised to see him come down and eat it. I strongly believe that he comes down when he is alone, but from some reason he is afraid of you. Maybe he had some bad experience with people, who knows?

Many years ago, a cat moved into my house, attracted by my cats who had their own door and could freely walk around (later on they became indoor cats), and their food which was freely accessible at that time. She was spending her time under one bed when we were at home, until one day she had to go out (to pee I suppose). When she finished what she had to, she normally came back to the room and went under "her" bed. Many days passed until she encouraged herself to get on the bed, but as far from us as possible. Next month I spent trying to approach her and finally she allowed me to touch her!

Long story, I am sorry for that, but that's why I think what I said. Don't worry, I am certain he'll be all right.

Best wishes to you and sweet little from Deda

onster
March 12th, 2008, 11:17 AM
I agree 100% with danaekitties sentiments and frustration.

I'm sure u must be frustrated too, but at what point is enough enough?

BusterKitty
March 12th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Deda Brada:
We have suggested that already and nnikol has already tried that. It would've been a chore to read through however many pages of suggestions here:laughing:Thanks anyway! x)

Love4himies
March 12th, 2008, 11:56 AM
I think he tried putting flour down to be able know if the kitty was coming down, but he wasn't.

Poor kitty.

krdahmer
March 12th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Call your local humane society and municipal animal control. If they won't help call the media, bad publicity will get one of the two off their a$$es to help. Your kitty may be sick and need medical attention due to the length of time he has been up there.

nnikol - you are killing us here.

You are clearly out of options... Why are you so afraid of your landlord? Is your apartment so beautifully amazing that you won't risk losing it to save a life?

Please take some of the advice given to you on this two month old thread...nothing you are doing on your own is working, and you don't seem to be trying very hard in other areas that have been suggested. If you give me the numbers of animal control, shelters, newspapers in your area, I will call and pester them on your behalf. I will call them twice a day, if you are too busy.

Or, call Aslan!!! This member is so concerned for your kitty that they have offered top come to your house and do the work for you at no charge - your LL doesn't even need to know.

I am BEGGING you... I'm starting to lose hope for your kitty.

I check this thread daily and have been holding my tongue waiting for a positive outcome... but this is getting ridiculous!

L4H and DK...Exactly, well said!! Enough is enough here. You are not doing enough, you are not trying hard enough... you have clearly ignored the offer of help here from Aslan. It was IMO irresponsible to leave on two trips while this poor kitty has been up in that ceiling. Personally I never could have or would have done that. And the first one was four days! When you returned from that first one and saw that this poor scared, and possibly ill cat was still up there, THAT was the point where you should have been doing whatever it takes. It's long past that point. The fact that so little is being done to help him, makes it seem you do not have enough time to look after an animal in the first place. I don't mean to sound so harsh, but you and this situation are very frustrating for me, especially because I would have cut holes in the ceiling and done whatever it took WEEKS ago. And I live in a rental too. Living in a crawl space too scared to move is no life for an animal. If it were up to me at this point I would be calling the humane society on you for allowing this to go on so long. It is indeed cruel. Take our help. You would be surprised what a few phone calls to the humane society or a threat of bad publicity could do for your kitty. PM aslan... take the help. You and the poor cat NEED it.

gyrfalcon
March 12th, 2008, 04:00 PM
I have also been lurking on this thread with some anxiety, and at this point, I think the situation and the unwillingness to take serious steps to end it is veering very close to animal abuse.

06canyon
March 12th, 2008, 04:04 PM
I agree as well, rescue the cat!

danaekitty
March 12th, 2008, 05:58 PM
I think the situation and the unwillingness to take serious steps to end it is veering very close to animal abuse.

There it is. The A-bomb.

Deda Brada
March 13th, 2008, 12:30 AM
Deda Brada:
We have suggested that already and nnikol has already tried that. It would've been a chore to read through however many pages of suggestions here:laughing:Thanks anyway! x)

Yes, you are right, thanks for your opinion. I've found this thread very late, yesterday, so I hurried to tell about my personal experience. You could notice that my letter was not plain suggestion. I didn't want to steal anyone's idea!

Regards, Deda

Deda Brada
March 13th, 2008, 01:06 AM
Patience please. Almost everyone here jumped to rescue poor boy. Rescue from what? How are we so sure he is in danger? Believe me, I'd climb the Eiffel Tower from outside to rescue cat, but is there real need for it? Do you know that feral, and other outdoor cats, prefer attics, cellars and similar places? If the boy eats, then he is healthy. As far as I know, lost appetite is the first sign of illness. Let's consider how much would ruining his hideout scare him. He is scared enough, don't you think so? Does anyone really know the effect which enforcement has on cats? Please don't push him. Feed him, water him and give him peace.

I'd try to sit still in this room as long as possible, day after day. He could look at me from his hideout, realizing that I am not menace at all. Then, one day, he would decide to approach me. That's the only way to be accepted by a cat. By her/his own will.

duttypaws
March 13th, 2008, 06:20 AM
personally its been over a month i think its time to get him out....

Love4himies
March 13th, 2008, 07:24 AM
A big health issue is the quality of air in that crawl space. I believe there is insulation which is made from glass and can settle in the lungs, creating life threatening illness, even cancer.

If not the insulation, the dust can coat the poor kitties lungs.

I do agree that stressed kitties should be left on their own to come to their new owners and should have a safe place they can go to when they feel like it, but I am really concerned about the kitty's long term health being in that space.

danaekitty
March 13th, 2008, 07:28 AM
personally its been over a month i think its time to get him out....

In a little more than a week it will have been TWO months!

If the boy eats, then he is healthy. As far as I know, lost appetite is the first sign of illness.
...I'd try to sit still in this room as long as possible, day after day. He could look at me from his hideout, realizing that I am not menace at all. Then, one day, he would decide to approach me. That's the only way to be accepted by a cat. By her/his own will.

I don't think the issue is if he's eating, obviously he is. But a full tummy doesn't necessarily make for a 100% healthy cat, Deda. Especially one that's been sitting in his own feces and urine, not getting any excercise, and not getting any human interaction. He's dirty, cramped, and scared. He doesn't KNOW that if he would only come out of his hole, things would be okay.
nnikol has obviously already tried just sitting around and waiting for the last seven weeks.

aslan
March 13th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Sorry I haven't been on, sick on vacation. K nickol has pm'd me so I will call later on to make arrangements. Think happy thoughts and that its drywall. Shhhh we won't tell the landlord.

BusterKitty
March 13th, 2008, 02:38 PM
I'm gonna think positive now that alsan's coming! Will it be loud/loud enough for the landlord to hear? Hope you have success. Fingers crossed!:fingerscr

danaekitty
March 13th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Aslan...
*sigh*
You're the best! Good luck, and thank you, nnikol, for taking advantage of this offer! I can't wait to hear about your kitty in his new home! Well, the rest of his new home.

aslan
March 13th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Won't be loud, if it's drywall I will do most of the cutting with a box cutter and a small handheld drywall saw. Don't want to use power tools, just incase i'm close to the cat. Just know i'm gonna either get scratched to crap or all the poop up there is gonna be right where i cut through.

chico2
March 13th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Aslan,that's great:thumbs up
Hopefully she will have something to cover up the entrance right away.
I've heard about scared cats,but this is a bit over the norm.
It couldd just be panelling with drywall underneath,just like my basement,I hope so anyway:fingerscr

Gibbons
March 13th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Yay! So glad to hear that we're finally getting that cat OUT!
(Is it just me, or has his name not been mentioned yet...? What is his name?)

I check this thread every time there is a new post with bated breath. At least soon we'll have a happy ending to this increasingly stressful thread!

aslan
March 13th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Just got off the phone with Nick, going out tomorrow. Looks like drywall screwed to 2x4's so i can cut in the center of each board in a square, drop the peice out, grab kitty, oooouch, screw peice back in place, tape and plaster and all is well. Oh and close the cupboard door, would suck if kitty ran right back up eh. Gonna try chirping like a bird first to see if that will work. Never know. LOL i'm sooo not putting this on my job referal list.

bendyfoot
March 13th, 2008, 03:38 PM
:laughing:
aslan, you rock!
make sure you tell us how this turns out!

aslan
March 13th, 2008, 03:49 PM
bendyfoot check your pm......

Kristin7
March 13th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Yay! So glad this is happening, I have been afraid to check this thread, fearing the worst, because the cat has been up there soooo long. I worry something is wrong with him and he needs to get out and see a vet.

gyrfalcon
March 13th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Just got off the phone with Nick, going out tomorrow. Looks like drywall screwed to 2x4's so i can cut in the center of each board in a square, drop the peice out, grab kitty, oooouch, screw peice back in place, tape and plaster and all is well. Oh and close the cupboard door, would suck if kitty ran right back up eh. Gonna try chirping like a bird first to see if that will work. Never know. LOL i'm sooo not putting this on my job referal list.

If you can get hold of some Feliway spray (sometimes sold as Comfort Zone, it comes in small spray bottles as well as plug-ins) before you go, it would help a great deal to spray the heck out of your clothes and the crawlspace the cat is in before you reach for it. Spraying around the apt and on the owner's shoes and pants legs, etc., will also make a difference.

And please be sure there are a couple of safe places for the cat to hide in the apartment-- a cardboard box on its side behind the couch or in a shallow closet, etc. It will likely take a long time for this cat's somewhat inexplicable terror to abate, and it will need safe hidey-holes it can retreat to somewhere, particular after the trauma of being forcibly hauled out from the ceiling it's been living in so long.

And oh, yeah-- wear heavy work gloves (well sprayed) and a couple of heavy long-sleeved shirts over your arms before you reach in there for the cat.

Good luck to all of you!

gyrfalcon
March 13th, 2008, 03:53 PM

If you can get hold of some Feliway spray (sometimes sold as Comfort Zone, it comes in small spray bottles as well as plug-ins) before you go, it would help a great deal to spray the heck out of your clothes and the crawlspace the cat is in before you reach for it. Spraying around the apt and on the owner's shoes and pants legs, etc., will also make a difference.

And please be sure there are a couple of safe places for the cat to hide in the apartment-- a cardboard box on its side behind the couch or in a shallow closet, etc. It will likely take a long time for this cat's somewhat inexplicable terror to abate, and it will need safe hidey-holes it can retreat to somewhere, particular after the trauma of being forcibly hauled out from the ceiling it's been living in so long.

And oh, yeah-- wear heavy work gloves (well sprayed) and a couple of heavy long-sleeved shirts over your arms before you reach in there for the cat.

Good luck to all of you!

BusterKitty
March 13th, 2008, 03:59 PM
As bendyfoot said, don't leave us hanging with the best part...the ending!><

phoozles
March 13th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Finally! I'm so happy that this is going to have a resolution! :thumbs up
Good luck Aslan, you're an :angel:!
We can't wait to find out what happens!

Amy P
March 13th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Aslan...never met you but I think you are an angel :angel: Good Luck tomorrow, my thoughts and prayers will be with all of you!! :pray::fingerscr

aslan
March 13th, 2008, 05:39 PM
LOL now that we've established that nick is male, anyone know what sex poor kitty is?

Amy P
March 13th, 2008, 05:44 PM
The kitty is a 2 year old male :sad: How sad that at 2 already he feels the need to be a shut in.

sugarcatmom
March 13th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Woohoo! Aslan, you're awesome. Just make sure there aren't any other weird holes and crevices that kitty can run into in when he's out of the duct (except for one that Nick can access, like gyrfalcon suggested). The cat will probably be frantic to find a new hiding place, and they can fit through some pretty small cracks. Good luck!!!

Winston
March 13th, 2008, 07:00 PM
What if you used some type of net around the area? to keep him somewhat enclosed. He will be spooked and he will find anywhere to hide. At least this way you can capture him, check him over and put him in a room by himself to relax..Not sure if it will work or not?? Good Luck tomorrow and lets hope this cat has a chance to be happy! Aslan your a an Angel! its wonderful people like you that help me restore my faith in people!!!!!!

Cindy

sugarcatmom
March 13th, 2008, 07:28 PM
What if you used some type of net around the area? to keep him somewhat enclosed.

A pillow case might work well for that. Good idea!

aslan
March 13th, 2008, 07:44 PM
I have leather gloves that go up to my elbows, so i'm just gonna put my hand up let him smell me and talk quiet to him, i will remove him by hand. If i put him on the floor between my legs and soothe him a few minutes i will put him in his crate somewhere dark for awhile.

Winston
March 13th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Hey Aslan just be ready for a fight because they can be sooo frightened. My little 6 pounder is a real fighter and let me tell you I never new how much she could fight until I had to pill her! beleive me it was not really pretty! You may not have time to console the cat..it may be too skittish...I cant wait to hear the ending! Sending good vibes!!

Cindy

loopoo
March 13th, 2008, 08:15 PM
oh my... best news i have heard yet:fingerscr please keep us posted aslan and nikkol.. and how the cat is doing.. if he needs a check up at the vet just to be sure..:goodvibes:

aslan
March 13th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Lol I used to be a pet groomer, you haven't seen a pissed off cat til you have to shave one. Aslong as I don't get it in the face i'll be happy.

BusterKitty
March 13th, 2008, 08:31 PM
My friend wants to be a pet groomer. Wonder how she'll survive:rolleyes:

Good luck! When are you going over to the apartment?

otter
March 13th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Oh Aslan, you are an :angel::angel::angel:

We'll be thinking about you and :pray: that everything goes well :thumbs up

aslan
March 13th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Busterkitty where abouts in toronto are you? I know some good groomers who train.

BusterKitty
March 13th, 2008, 08:45 PM
I'm pretty far away from downtown but we've already looked around and she even asked her vet:laughing:and they recommended one that's near so she's gonna try to convince her parents to actually allow her. She's always saying "They make :censored:loads of money! So like, money + thousands of animals = happiness" so I'm like "..." watching her fantasize. She's thinking about it but still haven't decided if she'll try and study. I'm gonna try and get a job at a humane society or something but that's about a half hour drive from my place so I'll have to move someday:yell: Don't know about pay but helping animals!:D

aslan
March 13th, 2008, 08:57 PM
I used to work at an excellent kennel in scarborough, and there is a couple good ones in etobicoke. You could always go to one of the smaller animal shelters, not the big one on river.

BusterKitty
March 13th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Oooh, I didn't know about those >< Better do more homework. I'm nowhere near Etobicoke. We live between Scarborough and Toronto.

t.pettet
March 13th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Aslan = kitty :angel2:

Love4himies
March 14th, 2008, 07:08 AM
:pray::pray::fingerscr:fingerscr

Aslan: you go girl!!!:thumbs up:angel2:

aslan
March 14th, 2008, 07:16 AM
Lol feeling the pressure now... Hmmm should i start a fan club? Now I just need kitty to co-operate.

chico2
March 14th, 2008, 07:30 AM
Aslan,we are with you in spirit all the way:cat:the kitty might even shoot out of the hole the minute you start sawing:fingerscr,I know my cats would.
Ask the owner to stay out of view,so the cat has a clear path out.
Hopefully you won't have to forcebly pull him out.
Oh and be very careful,a crazed cat can do an awful lot of damage,as I am sure you know.
Sending you:goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes:and the kitty:goodvibes:

Love4himies
March 14th, 2008, 07:46 AM
Don't forget your camera, Aslan!

Chico is right, the kitty needs to have a clear path to run out of, if nnikol is at the entrance hole, kitty may panic too much.

Good luck!

Jim Hall
March 14th, 2008, 08:34 AM
alright ill ring in get a big cage what they call kitty condos aroubd here

cover it put soame food water annd a and a liiterbox in it and put her/him inn it cover it up and shut the door let her stay in there for a while and she will get used to that eventually get bored and want to come out that way she has a safe place to go and will venture out after she feels safe if you cover the condo with a few blankets she will feel safe .

Love4himies
March 14th, 2008, 08:49 AM
cover it put soame food water annd a and a liiterbox in it and put her/him inn it cover it up and shut the door let her stay in there for a while and she will get used to that eventually get bored and want to come out that way she has a safe place to go and will venture out after she feels safe if you cover the condo with a few blankets she will feel safe .

If you can get access to a kitty condo, they are very expensive here in canada. The blanket covering is what they do at the HS where I volunteer at for the very stressed kitties, it does work.

krdahmer
March 14th, 2008, 09:55 AM
:pray::goodvibes::fingerscr:fingerscr:fingerscr

krdahmer
March 14th, 2008, 10:00 AM
If you can get access to a kitty condo, they are very expensive here in canada. The blanket covering is what they do at the HS where I volunteer at for the very stressed kitties, it does work.

They are very expensive here, I needed one for Fagan for his home recovery and some wanted $300+! I eventually ended up buying a used one for $125 from a local pet store that is no longer selling cats! :thumbs up And the blanket over a carrier does wonders for calming them down, I always used this when transporting and capturing the ferals for s/n & r. Do be careful though, one of the ferals I tried keeping in the bathroom, got spooked and jumped clear over my head! When their adrenaline gets up, they are capable of anything.

Jim Hall
March 14th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Do be careful though, one of the ferals I tried keeping in the bathroom, got spooked and jumped clear over my head! When their adrenaline gets up, they are capable of anything

lol oh yeah they are but it sounds good asian knows this and sounds like he will be carefull

aslan
March 14th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the vote of confidence Jim but i'm a she not a he. You guys are starting to stress me, got visions of psycho kitty now. LOL

Jim Hall
March 14th, 2008, 10:51 AM
lol i do apologise but asain you know cats you know how they can be
if they a truly paniced they van be very dangerous
but hey y'all out wiegh them by a lot even if your skinny

aslan
March 14th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Rotfl, wwf kitty wrestling. My only concern is he'll be above my head. I suggested a welding helmet, but that would freak the poor cat.

Love4himies
March 14th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Rotfl, wwf kitty wrestling. My only concern is he'll be above my head. I suggested a welding helmet, but that would freak the poor cat.

:laughing:, yup probably would!

Slow hand movements if need be, but I am thinking like Chico, kitty is going to make a run for the entrance hole if you are cutting at the end where the kitty is currently residing.
Wonder if nnikol can be waiting, not visible to the cat though, to close up the entrance hole as soon as kitty runs out.

:pray::pray:

aslan
March 14th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Unfortunately if you look at the pic of the cat, he's in as far as he can get, so i will be cutting the hole in between him and the entrance. Dont have any choice, so not only is he stressed but he'll be trapped in the corner. oh yay.
I'm seeing more stitches in more future.

rainbow
March 14th, 2008, 12:43 PM
I think I would throw a large towel or baby blanket over him as he's going to be one pissed off kitty.

want4rain
March 14th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Aslan, you must poo sunshine. :D you are a saint for doing this for this poor kitty. ive been so afraid to check this thread!!

-ashley

aslan
March 14th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Rotfl, well thats a visual now isn't it. I just hope i don't give nick or the kitty my evil cold.

rainbow
March 14th, 2008, 05:41 PM
I hope everything is going well. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

aslan
March 14th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Everyone stop holding your breath, the boy is out. Lady's and gentleman meet Coletrain.

Winston
March 14th, 2008, 06:15 PM
OMG what a cutie! Okay I cant stand it anymore! Tell us how things went????

CIndy

aslan
March 14th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Np, I cut the whole through the ceiling he hightailed it to the other opening but not out, used my tape measure from my end to distract him, then we grabbed him. he really wasn't too bad. nick immediately put him in the dark bathroom to calm down while i fixed the ceiling. You'll be happy to hear he doesn't look any worse for wear. Nick had put a little litter box up in the ceiling and kept changing it. He just needs to be socialized abit i think. He had no problem with me going near him while Nick went and got some plaster. (teehee) I forgot mine.

Kristin7
March 14th, 2008, 06:27 PM
YAY!!!! Thanks so much for helping that poor cat! I love his name and he is cute :lovestruck: Odd that he wouldn't come down, I mean, doesn't sound like he is truly feral. Maybe he is afraid of men? Is Nick going to keep him after all this?

rainbow
March 14th, 2008, 06:27 PM
WOOOO HOOOO !!!!

http://bestsmileys.com/dancing/14.gif

And, Coletrain is one handsome boy. :lovestruck:

I'm so glad everything went well. :thumbs up Nick, you will have to keep us updated on his progress. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

aslan
March 14th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Once kitty is calmed down some he will be making the move to New York to live with Nicks two little dogs and his roommate. From what Nick said the cat had never really been socialized. I think he'll be fine.