Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Effective Cat Repellent?

MewsFoster
January 29th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Hi, a friend of mine has a male stray cat in her neighborhood that she is going to TNR (trap, neuter, release) this week. She discovered him because he is spraying at her front door. She has an indoor cat who sits in the window which is probably the reason he has started marking (t)his territory. She doesn't want to stop her own cat from being able to sit in the window and chances are that neutering won't stop the behavior since he is a grown cat.

She is wondering if there is an effective cat repellent that she can use to keep him away from her front door. If anyone has a suggestion or product they would like to pass along, it would be GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thanks everyone! Karen

badger
January 29th, 2008, 04:53 PM
It will probably get better, even if it doesn't disappear entirely. Kudos to your friend for getting him done.
The famous cat pheremones (which I am now using, they seem to be having a slight effect, hard to say, in any case it is not dramatic) are available in a spray can. The one I've got is called AtEase (by NaturVet). She could scrub down the places he sprays with strong soap and a little bleach, then apply. The instructions say to 'wipe off excess' but on the exterior of a door you can just leave it. It doesn't last forever and cold weather might interfere with the effect, but it's worth a try.
Is she feeding him?

want4rain
January 29th, 2008, 08:17 PM
http://www.ssscat.com/english/index.html

touted as Chuck Norris in a can.

????

:evil:

-ash

badger
January 29th, 2008, 08:59 PM
That is brilliant, I'd set up a camera just to catch the look on the Birdman's face when he's surfing the counter and POW. And the best part would be, I'm nowhere in sight. Spendy! But if it works...
Probably a better investment than the pheremone spray (which is really only for indoor use).

MewsFoster
January 30th, 2008, 11:43 PM
Thanks for the ideas - I'm not sure how much she can spend, but the "ssscat" seems like a pretty good idea because it will shoo him away, but not make him associate something bad with humans. I have seen something very similar to that on a British dog training show when they were trying to stop a dog from getting in the trash whenever the owners left the house. He was a fairly bright dog and after getting the that same kind of effect each time he approached the garbage can, he stopped after 3 attempts. It might work with spraying.

Also, she is not feeding him - the people across the street are so her house is just in his neighborhood rounds. Thanks again!

Luba
January 31st, 2008, 12:06 AM
I have the same situation now and am feeding the stray cat, poor darlin. Actually myself and another neighbour are. Sometimes it may not be the cat you think that is spraying. I found three spraying my house. I think there is a female around somewhere which could be your problem.

It can stink but it usually goes on it's own. I'd be careful with repellants as they may contain harmful chemicals no good for any living thing.

sugarcatmom
January 31st, 2008, 07:37 AM
I'd be careful with repellants as they may contain harmful chemicals no good for any living thing.

That's why SSSCAT is so great, it just sprays air. It's the sound of it that scares the cat off.