Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Buddy's vet visit today...

krdahmer
January 29th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Went well, he was soooo good. And calm! Last time I had him there he was squirelly and scrappy. Nice change.:lovestruck:

He got his shots as they are all expired and we have scheduled his teeth cleaning, possible extraction and tear duct flushing for Feb 12th. He is having the blood panel the morning of surgery, and starts Antirobe 3 days before for possible infection.

And although I was convinced he had gained weight it turns out he has lost 0.2 lbs!! Must be the combo of the soupy wet food and lazer.

I'm very nervous about having him under anesthetic.... http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/scared/scared0001.gif (http://www.allboxingstats.com/)

Anyhow I know some of you have some experience with these procedures... so any experiences you want to share would be great. Like if he does have to have one or more teeth extracted how long does that take to heal... and what do you feed in the mean time? And has anyone had their pet's eye duct flushed? I am really hoping that doesn't require the c-collar.... I can't see Buddy accepting having to wear that thing!

phoozles
January 29th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Yay for Buddy getting through the visit with flying colours! :highfive:

I haven't had any experience with tooth extraction - just wanted to send some :goodvibes: your way! :pawprint: :cat: :grouphug:

chico2
January 29th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Badger,good luck to you and Buddy:fingerscr
My diabetic cat Peppi(rip)had a tooth extracted with no problems,he did not even bleed much and was back to normal in no time.
Hopefully the same for Buddy:pray:

sugarcatmom
January 29th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Aztec had a canine and 2 molars removed last Sept. and did great, even though he's diabetic, a senior, and has a heart condition. How old is Buddy? For the elderly kitties, it's often recommended to have a cardiac work-up done beforehand to make sure there aren't any heart issues, and to have an IV in place prior to the procedure (extra fluids to keep kidneys safe). It's also important that blood pressure is monitored during the dental for ALL cats, as this is often the first sign that something is going wrong.

You might want to ask your vet about the type of pain meds they use if Buddy should require extractions (some are better than others: Buprenex is better than Torbutrol, but I'm a fan of the Fentanyl pain patch - no pilling required!). He'll need to be on antibiotics after the dental, but watch out for digestive issues like inappetence or diarrhea. Cats heal remarkably fast, so even if there are teeth removed, he'll probably be back to normal in no time. Feed canned food for the first few days if possible. Here's a site with more detailed info, although it's aimed at diabetics: http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Dental_procedure

ps - Is that liquid Antirobe you'll be giving him? Just a warning that it is probably the nastiest tasting stuff in the universe (I know cause I tasted it). Cats are not big fans! And if Buddy starts vomitting or gets diarrhea while on it, stop giving it and call your vet immediately.

Oh, and good luck!! Dentals seem scary but they're very necessary and 99% of the time go off without a hitch.

krdahmer
January 30th, 2008, 12:14 AM
Ok... Chico... quit callin me Badger.... :frustrated::laughing:

And thanks for the info Sugar... they have me giving him the anti biotic 3 days prior to his appointment and he is only 4.5 yrs old. The vet said his heart sounded great, and other than being prone to the URIs and having a skin issue now and then, he's healthy.

Thanks guys... the support is appreciated... I'll need lots on the 12th... in fact my best friend has already offered to come and hang out with me that afternoon. :o I tend to be panicky, especially when it comes to the cats.

growler~GateKeeper
January 30th, 2008, 12:18 AM
No experience w/dentals or extractions.....yet :sad: Duffy may need one pulled *sigh*

YAY :thumbs up :highfive: Good Boy Buddy :lovestruck: so well behaved :cloud9:

rainbow
January 30th, 2008, 02:26 AM
I have no experience with kitty tooth extractions either but just want to send lots of good wishes your way. :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

And, hugs to Buddy for being such a good boy at the vet. :grouphug:

chico2
January 30th, 2008, 07:50 AM
:laughing::laughing:Dahmer,it's just a weird thing,might be my age:laughing:,but I ALWAYS mix up you and Badger:laughing::laughing:
I promise it won't happen again:shrug:
It's probably because both of you have multiple cats and are wonderful kitty-moms:cat:

krdahmer
January 30th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Aw you know I still love you Chico... you and your 'sometimers'!!!! ;) :laughing::grouphug:

ancientgirl
January 30th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Yay for Buddy. And he's lost 2 pounds. That's great. This morning I left some of the canned that wasn't all eaten out for them, but I added a good bit of water. I've noticed Vlad likes to lick that and usually once the gravy is gone he leaves the food.

I don't like having my guys put under anesthesia either. Luckily, unless something like having a tooth extracted or anything else like that comes up they won't have to have that. Although, I was told once that if I left Vlad to be bathed at the vet they'd have to sedate him. That's when I realized I'd be the one to bathe them myself.

krdahmer
January 30th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Ha! 2 pounds I wish.... :laughing: It was only 0.2 lbs..... but still good! :D Like me... as long as it's going in the right direction I'm not too concerned with big or small numbers.