Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Stressed Cat??

Lynnt52
January 29th, 2008, 01:15 PM
:cat:I have 3 male neutered cats, 7,5 & 3 yrs old. Since i lost my husband 4 months ago, the 5 yr.old seems to have become more aggressive, almost to the point of stalking the 3 yr. old. Has anyone experienced this? He also seems to be itchy all the time, but has no skin problems, just the itchyness. Could this be related to missing he "dad"?:cat::cat:

krdahmer
January 29th, 2008, 03:17 PM
:sad:Aw... my condolences to both you and your kitties. :pray::grouphug:

Loss is always hard on pets. Itchy skin isn't usually a sign of behavioural issues, but more likely an underlying health issue that your cat is acting out because of. The itchyness... is it like a skin crawling? Cats can develop food allergies at any time... What do you feed them? Also do they go outdoors at all? And when was the last time they were all checked for fleas?

phoozles
January 29th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Losses do affect cats - when one of my sister's cat's died (lily poisioning, poor thing), her other cat when from being completely docile and timid to being a tough guy protector. I can only imagine what the death of a person would do. So sorry for your loss! :sad: :candle:

As for the itching, it be anything from dry skin to allergies to fleas. You might want to consider a food change.. :shrug:

chico2
January 29th, 2008, 04:40 PM
So sorry about your loss:sad:
I to have 3 neutered male cats,most of the time they get along fine,but ever now and then my oldest will stalk the middle cat in a aggressive way,it usually passes.
However,he has Hyper Thyroidism,probably the reason he becomes edgy.
I believe your kitty does not know what is going on right now and if he was close to your husband,probably misses him,gets frustrated and takes it out on your youngest.
Itchyness,I am sure,can also cause irritability.
I would take him to the vet,just to make sure,if it's fleas,it can be taken care of quickly.