Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

8 Month old Box/Pit mix becomes aggressive

Rockblind
January 29th, 2008, 11:44 AM
My buddies friend has a 8 month old male, he stated that if a stranger walks up to the dog, he won't back off and the dog would be aggressive to the point that possible would bite him. Any suggestions on how this can be corrected?

Thanks

want4rain
January 29th, 2008, 11:55 AM
have your friend get her in obedience training and possibly even talk to a behaviorist. thats not much to go on to help with more personal advice. sounds to me like thats a dog who is asserting herself and getting results. :) also look into Nothing In Life Is Free (NILIF) training. :)

-ash

luckypenny
January 29th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Welcome Rockblind :) .

I wish I could give you a simple answer to help with your friend's dog but there are none.

We have a dog who is leash/barrier aggressive, with other dogs and strangers alike. We don't ever allow a stranger to approach unless we are 100% certain they will not reach for her, bend over her, or make direct eye-contact as we know that these are the things that set her off. As soon as we realized this was becoming a problem that we couldn't deal with ourselves, we began intensive obedience training so we could be certain that she would listen to us at all times. We are now working on re-conditioning her responses to strangers. It's time-consuming and requires a lot of patience and commitment. I strongly recommend your friend contact a certified experienced behaviorist (not just a trainer) who's specialty is aggressive behavior in dogs. Your friends dog is young and can be helped...he just needs the right kind.

want4rain
January 29th, 2008, 12:09 PM
to also say LP's situation is not common. often times its a simple behavior change the owner has to make in order to see results. the relationship between a human and a dog NEEDS a consistent language. a trainer is there to help you learn how to talk to your dog.

-ashley

Ford Girl
January 29th, 2008, 12:15 PM
I agree with LP, and without more info from the owner and history of the dog (is he nutered, what's the owners reaction to this, how does he correct the dogs behavior, how much exercise does he get, was he socialized, etc) it's very hard to give you more then we already have for info. But if your friend is willing to work on this then he should be asking for help and gathering the info....there is so much out there that can help this dog.

Your friend also has to start reading the situation and stop people from approaching the dog - the bite will be a reaction to the way the dog is feelings. Alot of dealing with agression is the owner managing it. Dogs send lots of signals before they will bite. They have 5 options when faced with stress or over stimulation, flight, freeze, fight, faint and fool around...while on leash you have taken away flight, the freezes are small and sometimes unnoticable if you don't know to look for them, but they do happen ALOT, faint rarley happens and mostly to small dogs, then fight...fool around is also an option but it's either fight or fooling around...they won't do both. So, it's a pretty complex issue, like LP said an experienced certified bahaviorlist will be your best bet.

Also, at 8 months old the dog is going thru it's first sexual maturity if not nutered. They go thru stages of development, google puppy development and you will see behaviors that dogs display thru this age span. The are basically teenagers and will test the water and push every button if they can, they learn alot at this age that they keep forever. The worst thing he can do is ignore it.
I deal with dog on dog aggression in my golden retriever...it's alot of work, but we have come along way!!

luckypenny
January 29th, 2008, 12:17 PM
I'd love to agree but considering the statistics on dog bites/attacks, I don't think it's all that uncommon :shrug: . I don't know the dog the op's posting about, but, IMO, it's imperative the owner gets "hands on" advice regarding his dog's behavior.

Ford Girl
January 29th, 2008, 12:34 PM
I'd love to agree but considering the statistics on dog bites/attacks, I don't think it's all that uncommon :shrug: . I don't know the dog the op's posting about, but, IMO, it's imperative the owner gets "hands on" advice regarding his dog's behavior.

I agree too, I didn't think it was an issue that was common either, (other then what the media wants you to see) until I found myself with an aggressive puppy/dog - a breed who doesn't have the the reputation of aggression, right from a 9 week old pup she was this side of dominent - she was properly socialized, rules and boundries, obedience classes, we did every thing right from day one - except buy our pup from a byb. With byb of all types of breeds, and an over population in general it's created a nightmare of aggression in dogs.

I would say in my group of friends, more dogs then not have aggression issues. :shrug: Not saying they are all on the verge of biting or attacking, but most of them have issues one way or another.

People see the word "aggression" and immediatly think dog on the end of a chain teeth baring - going to attack at any time....it's amazing how many forms of aggression there is and how many dogs it affects. :sad:

(Even Dazy's little friend Voo Doo shows aggression - only when her mom has treats in her pocket at the dog park - no treats, no aggression. She doesn't even have to be handing them out, the fact that they are there in her pcket sets Voo off on a lip curling fit :shrug: )