Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Leg Lifting

want4rain
January 29th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Mister is 16 months old now?? i dont really mind his girly squatting but at what age should we hang up the hope he will lift his leg and thus NOT pee on his feet anymore?

-ash

Corrie
January 29th, 2008, 12:12 PM
I had a rough Collie, Merrick, who died at the age of 12 and he still squated to that very day...he never learned or wanted to lift his leg! He saw lots of other boys lifting, but chose to embrace his feminine side instead! We decide to just find it charming!

bendyfoot
January 29th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Ha! I'll trade ya! Gracie lifts HER leg to pee all the time!!!:laughing:

Ford Girl
January 29th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Carefull what you wish for...:laughing: Friends of ours with a doby were thinking the same as you, then one day he started to lift his leg and now pees on the house, hot tub, garden, bbq, fence, gate, anything at pee level....they now rather he'd squat and pee on the ground. :laughing:

My firends shi*tzu still squats at 4 years old.

Sorry, not of much help, but it's really not that out of the normal is it???

want4rain
January 29th, 2008, 12:30 PM
id just be happy if he stopped peeing on his feet!!!!

-ash

Dorothea
January 29th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Lisa decides; when ever it's convenient to lift or squat! It's hillarious at times.

want4rain
January 29th, 2008, 12:51 PM
oh right.... yo know he doesnt even SQUAT really. he leeeeans forward.... *sigh*

-ash

Tommysmom
January 29th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Tommy is 17 months and he squats too. He started lifting his leg - but he doesn't cock his leg - he just lifts one leg up an inch while he's squatting:shrug:. Occasionally he lifts his FRONT leg:laughing:.

Gibbons
January 29th, 2008, 06:13 PM
My three legged pupster still acts like he's lifting a leg... It's a good thing he hasn't realized he only has three legs, or he'd be in a bit of a pickle with constant face-plants if he tried to lift his one-remaining back leg to pee :)

My parents dog used to pee on his feet- he did finally figure it out, but they kept lifting a leg up for him until he understood what they wanted. He was NOT happy about being interrupted while peeing, but he also didn't like being confined to the foyer until he got his feet rinsed off.

H.P.
January 29th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Smokie, my foster, just started lifting his leg, after getting neutered. He missed his feet when squatting, but now soaks a front leg everytime!:wall:

want4rain
January 29th, 2008, 10:05 PM
pooey, so maybe i shouldnt really wish for leg lifting cause it could be his whole leg instead of just his feet huh?? you know i even leave things standing int he yard like poles and bird bath bases... :laughing:

-ash

clm
January 29th, 2008, 10:53 PM
If they're neutered before they start lifting their leg, they sometimes never do. They can get it all over themselves whether they do or not. :laughing:

Cindy

rainbow
January 29th, 2008, 11:23 PM
Both my boys (neutered) do the same thing. If there is something to lift their leg on they do. If there isn't then they do the "lean forward" thing. :shrug:

coppperbelle
January 30th, 2008, 06:42 AM
Hunter is almost 4 and does a very masculine leaning forward squat. He is large enough so that he doesn't hit his other legs. Just recently I saw him lift one leg up ever so slightly. Last weekend we were out in the woods and he was squat peeeing to cover the scents of other animals. :laughing: