Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pets and cold weather

MerlinsHope
January 29th, 2008, 06:24 AM
Is there anyone here who lives in areas like Yellowknife and has to contend with extreme cold weather and the needs of a dog?

I'm reading this morning that the temperature is -45C which is so cold I don't want to even know.

How do people deal with having to let their pets out for latrine duty? Dog walking? and things like that in weather like this.

I like to hear from people who have to face this regularly. Anyone?

Thanks

wolfcat
January 29th, 2008, 06:52 AM
Observation: Its not just Yellowknife thats sees -40 deg C, the entire West of Canada is in a cold snap.

Being in Toronto I may not look like I have a clue (+2 degrees and raining, lol) but I was born in Winnipeg and have family in Saskatchewan and friends in Calgary. 'nuff said.

Cope? Like people. fast short walks, put coats on the pooches and realize:

"If it's too cold for you, it's too cold for them"

(Likewise in HOT weather, do NOT leave Rover locked in a hot car with windows rolled up and no water)

rhynes
January 29th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Yep, it's -35 here all night, looking at -40 by morning... The dog went out for a long pee this morning, came in and went straight to his cage and started yelping. Probably from the cold in his feet. Put him on a heating pad and he's happy as a lark now.

Gotta find those booties...

want4rain
January 29th, 2008, 10:36 AM
while not -45*c, in MI USA we made sure we left the feet and belly fur long on our cocker spaniels, they took short short walks, sometimes not even off the back deck!

i know several members have booties and sweaters for their dogs. i was brain storming a pair of leg warmers for a friends Doxie. they live in Duluth MN which gets *quite* cold. i also know some other northern folks who have smaller toy dogs who use a litter box of sorts.

-ash

geisha
January 29th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Yup, it's -40 here in Edmonton. I put the mutluks on the sammys and away we go for about 20 minutes. Rose age 13 started pulling on her leash towards home. Short frequent walks, coats and boots for both fur babies & humans is a good thing:thumbs up.

pbpatti
January 29th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Quick outdoor pee breaks, usually Sasha stays out only as long as it takes her then comes running to come in. we play in the house instead of walks as I do not have any booties for her, toy throwing. lots and lots of cuddles. don't know if you know that the lab's are pretty easy going, being a couch potato is ok for a short time before she goes beserkkkk pbp

Purpledomino
January 29th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Funny thing this thread was started because the deep freeze here has created havoc at this house! Not so bad for the big dogs....they go out, they do their business...then they hight tail it back in the house immediately. My new little Minpin Squiggy is only five months old...bald as a little piglet and nothing has changed for him because he "goes" in his box on a pee-pad.....inside. The problem has been for my poor Pin Emmy....steadfastly potty trained to go outside, and at -44 or so this morning it just wasn't working for her. Tried Muttluks on her feet....took a good 15 minutes to put them on...and a coat, plopped her outside....she just looked up at me and almost fell over in a frozen heap. Tried running her outside under my coat, put her down and she just ran back to the house crying and holding up her feet.

I decided it was just too cold for her outside no matter what we did....but she would not go on a pee pad, even though we tried to coax her to. Eventually the poor girl just let go on the kitchen floor.... slinking away like she was in trouble. We actually praised her (go figure) and tried to make her feel better. Later on today, it warmed up to a temp -29 :eek: that she could actually run out....pee, and run back in.

Thank goodness there aren't too many days like this in the year...but they are challenging when they happen. :frustrated:

MerlinsHope
January 30th, 2008, 07:22 AM
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I don't think it's ever been that cold here, and hope it does does get that cold. It hit me when I saw the weatherman accounce the temps on TV, I just couldn't fathom dealing with cold like that.

I have a mini one here and every morning I'm finding I've got to put boots , coats and hats on, so just imagine at -45 ? Whew that's cold!!!!
Have a great day eveyone.

krdahmer
January 30th, 2008, 10:21 AM
All you westerners, Canadian and American alike, you and your furry ones have my warmest thoughts.... I saw that on the news last night before bed and got a chill for you! :grouphug: I can't even imagine that kind of cold.http://bestsmileys.com/cold/8.gif

Here we are dealing with the WIND today! I was smart and learned my lesson last time, as these days are always my garbage day...:rolleyes:.... so last night the ground was a tad soggy so I pushed the recycle down in and it worked.... it froze to the ground last night before the wind picked up. Ha. I did however lose one of my garbage bags. :shrug::o

Man anyone who claims there is nothing wrong with our weather... must be a complete shut in!

krdahmer
January 30th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Oh and p.s. anyone not too frozen, should take pics of their sweet doggies in those booties and coats (and share them here of course ;) ).... I think they look so cute in those.

Frenchy
January 30th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Oh and p.s. anyone not too frozen, should take pics of their sweet doggies in those booties and coats (and share them here of course ;) ).... I think they look so cute in those.

I already did :D

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=48715

Kinguni
January 30th, 2008, 01:48 PM
-24F (-31C) with -43F (-42C) windchill, took Shabba for a walk around the block, got home and she still wanted to play fetch, so after I cleaned up what was left of yesterday poo (she doesn't eat all of it!) in the yard I tossed the ball for her a few times. I'll take her for another short walk this afternoon (-27C now) and maybe even another this evening, although that may be doubtful as the temperature is forecast to plunge to -36C overnight. At -30C we can still have trouble getting her inside from chewing a beef knuckle.

We have some "Invisible Boot" we'll put on her paws sometimes. Other than that she's good in the cold. As for me, thermal underwear, acrylic sweater over a t-shirt and a ski jacket, although I have a warmer goose down parka as well with a fur rimmed hood that extends 8 inches past the front of my face. Wool socks if needed and either a pair of clumsy Kodiak -45 rated boots or my Kodiak hikers which a better for walks if there isn't too much snow.