Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

need help

uncleglenny
January 28th, 2008, 02:27 PM
hello i need help with my 6 month old beagle, when she does something bad (jumping on the couch, or people chewing ect) i point and tell her no she wags her tail and begins to bark at me, why is she doing this and what is a proper means of correction(i'm not into hitting my dog)

Lissa
January 28th, 2008, 03:21 PM
The word "no" means absoluately nothing to dogs and I personally think its a waste of time... When I am telling my dog something I want him to know what I am asking... "No" is such an obscure command because humans tend to use it for everying - no jumping, no chewing, no scavenging etc.... It's very hard if not impossible for dogs to figure out what "no" actually means because we are always changing the contexts.

What kind of training does your puppy have? All puppy's are going to make mistakes regardless of training but enrolling in a positive reinforcement course now will help. Increasing physical and mental activity will help as well.

Right now its all about setting your puppy up for success. Don't want her jumping on the couch? Don't give her the opportunity to do it in the first place. Or if she does jump up, redirect her bed with a chew toy. Start laying the foundations for a "go lie down" command - but don't attempt to use it until you've trained it properly. The idea is to train an incompatible behaviour - obviously if she's on her mat she cannot jump on the couch - so you are setting her up for success.

For the mouthing, the same applies (redirect, train an incompatible behaviour). The only punishment I would use is withdrawing my attention (ie: stopping all play, leaving the room or just ignoring the puppy). For puppies and most dogs, removing your attention is more than enough pynishment.

Good Luck and enjoy the puppy months!:D

TeriM
January 28th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Good advice from Lissa. I would also recommend that you start working to establish yourself as the "leader" for your dog. Start to make the puppy work for everything he is getting. This is called "nothing in life is free" and if you do an internet search you will get tons of information.

http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htm

For the people chewing I also found that a strong "yipe" from the human can be a good deterrant. I gave one "yipe" and if that didn't cause the pup to back off I would get up and stop all the playing.

A good beginners obedience class is an invaluable tool at this age :thumbs up.

Good luck :D.

danaekitty
January 29th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Welcome to the world of beagles! I;ve never had one myself, but all three beagles I've known have acted this same way. They think it's hilarious.