Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Suggestions for a dork of a bichon...

rhynes
January 28th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Dork is a great description of him... This little bichon reminds me of a flamboyant little sheep with alot of quirks. He's easily bored, loves to chew on just about anything except for most of the toys and chews we buy. Bra's and underwear are fair game and no toilet paper roll is safe around him. He sits on the top of the couch in the main bay window and goes nuts when anything moves. But yet he's got such a cute face it's hard to get mad...

The weirdest thing is that he won't pee or poop on a walk. If we go for a half hour walk, he'll stop and sniff every pee spot around but he holds his own. Can tell he's dying to pee cause he's hunched and walking like a crab on crutches til we get to the front lawn. And only then he lets go. I thought he might get the hint by now that since other dogs do it, he should too...

He's very overbearing when it comes to other dogs, he really turns them off but I see no real way of stopping that... he just won't get the hint. There's some very nice dogs around the neighborhood but they don't seem to like him, won't come near him cause he get's so hyper and in their face.

Anyone have any ideas?

CearaQC
January 28th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Leadership and discipline and lots of exercise.

Small dogs end up getting away with a lot of stuff that would be a big no-no for larger breeds, all because the smaller dogs are "cute."

Check out the Nothing in Life is Free training or Pack Leader philosophies. :D

rainbow
January 28th, 2008, 12:42 PM
I agree. :thumbs up Have you ever taken him to obedience school?

BusterBoo
January 28th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Dork is a great description of him... This little bichon reminds me of a flamboyant little sheep with alot of quirks. He's easily bored, loves to chew on just about anything except for most of the toys and chews we buy. Bra's and underwear are fair game and no toilet paper roll is safe around him. He sits on the top of the couch in the main bay window and goes nuts when anything moves. But yet he's got such a cute face it's hard to get mad...

The weirdest thing is that he won't pee or poop on a walk. If we go for a half hour walk, he'll stop and sniff every pee spot around but he holds his own. Can tell he's dying to pee cause he's hunched and walking like a crab on crutches til we get to the front lawn. And only then he lets go. I thought he might get the hint by now that since other dogs do it, he should too...

He's very overbearing when it comes to other dogs, he really turns them off but I see no real way of stopping that... he just won't get the hint. There's some very nice dogs around the neighborhood but they don't seem to like him, won't come near him cause he get's so hyper and in their face.

Anyone have any ideas?

Yup.....sounds like a bichon :dog:

Actually I have a tzu/bichon and your first paragraph pretty much sums up Buster. However, we have learnt in the last year that we must not leave things laying around, but that's ok......makes for a neat house! :laughing:

As for the not peeing and pooping on walks, Buster is the same but I don't mind at all. He is not using other people's property for potty and I figure if he really, really had to go, he would. He usually waits until we are home.

Buster is definitely not overbearing to other dogs, infact he is a wuss! I have had him in obedience and agility classes more for the social aspect than anything else.

Good luck! You gotta love those little dogs!!! :laughing:

Tommysmom
January 28th, 2008, 03:03 PM
My sis has a bichon and she's pretty much exactly the same way, LOL. Lots of exercise helps, and definitely Nothing in Life is Free.

Not peeing/pooping on walks is not all that uncommon. My mom's mixed mutt won't pee or poop on walks either, and my JRT isn't all that fond of it although he'll go if he can't hold it any longer. I think some doggies just prefer their own territory... it might be odd, but hey, my husband doesn't like using our main floor powder room and goes all the way upstairs to do HIS business, too - so I guess we're all just odd:shrug::laughing:.

rhynes
January 29th, 2008, 06:21 AM
Thanks for the suggestions...

This is my first experience with a dog that won't pee on a walk, didn't realize there's many like it. Makes sense I guess...

I had a quick glance at the nothing in life site, will have to sit and read it all... I like the part where he comes looking for attention, try to ignore it... He'll just lay across the keyboard of my laptop or lay his head on my mouse. :wall:

I can see where he's coming from tho, this is home number 4 for him and he's only a year old. Took him a while to settle in and realize it's permanent now. He's getting quite cuddley and is learning to hog the bed hard and fast...

Anyone else have a problem with jealousy??? He seems to favor me and gets a little upset whenever I show affection to my girlfriend... We were on the couch one night, he's laying across the back of it. I bent over to give the girlfriend a kiss and Rufus gave her a swat on the back of the head with his paw. Now we don't live together, he lives at her place, it's her dog but he's jealous over me I think... Like I say, just quirky.

As for exercise, there's no tiring this dog at all... he'll spend hours with the neighbors lab pup running around, and come home rearing to go for more. The lab pup is usually pooped and sleeps for hours. go figure.

i'm going to have to make a hamster wheel or a treadmill for him...

Ripsnorter
January 29th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Ahh Bichons, now there's a big dog in a small dogs body if ever I saw one! :D

My Sister has one (Harvey) and while he's absolutely gorgeous, when he stays for his holidays here, I'm so very ready to give him back at the end! :laughing:

I would agree with the obedience training, I think Bichons are very intelligent little dogs (although Harvey has yet to convince me of this! :shrug:) and can easily become hardwork if not trained.

I think being a rescue he's still probably feeling a little insecure so he may settle down given more time. However, the barking at anything that moves will, unfortunately, continue................indefinitely! :laughing:

hazelrunpack
January 29th, 2008, 10:33 AM
It's interesting how many dogs don't pee or poop on a walk. I didn't realize it was that common. Our setters typically follow that protocol for about a year, then they relax and start spreading the wealth, so to speak. :p We've always thought that they were adjusting to a new 'territory' and didn't want to advertise their presence until they felt more secure. Once settled into their new territory, theyd grown up a bit and had a secure place to go and didn't worry about who might know they were around, hence the relaxed self-imposed potty and poop restrictions. :shrug: :o

Tommysmom
January 29th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Hazel, I wonder if that might be the reason? Tommy is still young and fairly shy, and mom's doggy is still a new addition to her family... it will be interesting to see if they end up pooping on walks once they're older and more comfortable!

rhynes
January 30th, 2008, 07:25 PM
I wound up at the pet store today on the hunt for some foods for Rufuf, had a good talk with the missus that works there. Wound up buying some canned food, guess he needs more fibre in his diet due to some constipation. Gonna mix a little wet into his dry and see what happens. Never knew one could buy rabbit dog food :shrug: frig, some dogs eat better than people.

She had her 6 year old bichon with her at work all the time, beautiful little feller. Her dog settled down a little when he turned 2 so i'm keeping my fingers crossed. He's very gentle and laid back now.