Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Getting the dog out of my bed at night

mason204
January 27th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Hi everyone:

Advice needed....

I adopted my 9 year old dog 3 months ago. He's been sleeping in my bed at night without any problems. He's a bichon frise and because of his short legs, can't get into the bed without help.

He's been suffering from arthritis lately and this morning he peed on the bed because, I guess, he couldn't get down off the bed.

It was the incentive I needed to try and get him to sleep in his own bed at night.

I made him an ultra soft bed and he's been constantly whining to get into my bed instead. Does anyone have any systematic tips I can use to wean him off the bed? I'm trying to avoid a crate because I can't afford one right now. We just spent $1000 in vet bills over the past two months and we're pretty strapped for cash.

Thanks in advance.

Cheryl.

Frenchy
January 27th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Maybe it would be easier if you got those steps for dogs. Yep , they make them especially for dogs to go up to the bed . There's some at Canadian Tire , I don't remember the price but it's not too expensive.

Myka
January 27th, 2008, 07:09 PM
I wouldn't do the crate thing...I don't believe in them except in rare cases. Try putting the dog bed onto your bed, and make sure he sleeps on it on your bed. Once he's used to that, then move it to the floor. Don't wash it in between so that is smells like him, and he's used to it.

SnowDancer
January 27th, 2008, 10:03 PM
I would strongly suggest a ramp to help puppy get into bed - or the steps as Frenchy suggested. I also live in Toronto and have seen the steps at Linen N Things and a couple of other stores - and ramps at PetSmart. You just have to figure out best product for your pup. I think I prefer the ramp because I tried out the steps myself - but it may just have been the ones I saw that were not as stable as I would have liked. As far as keeping pup out of bed - give it up!

hazelrunpack
January 27th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Thanks for adopting an older gent! I think it's sweet that you allow him to sleep on your bed--and I think it would be pretty hard on him to sleep anywhere but at your side now that he's had a taste of the bed. :o

They make waterproof "oops" pads for dogs. :thumbs up They're lightweight, waterproof on one side, absorbant on the other, and washable. If you can get your dog to sleep on that as "his blankie", he can still sleep on the bed without you having extra laundry if he has another "oops". The pads are fairly inexpensive. I've seen them in online pet-supply catalogs and in pet supply stores.

As for helping your dog make it through the night "oops" free, try cutting off his water after 7 or 8 at night--if he has free access to water the rest of the day, he'll be fine. Also, make sure he's gone out and peed right before bed. :thumbs up

GSDog
January 31st, 2008, 09:53 PM
mouse traps!!!!!!!!!

read that 25ish yrs ago in a doberman book and trust me IT WORKS!!!

they cant get hurt cause the paws are bigger than the trap..now a mouse trap NOT a rat trap!

:thumbs up

14+kitties
January 31st, 2008, 10:02 PM
mouse traps!!!!!!!!!

they cant get hurt cause the paws are bigger than the trap..now a mouse trap NOT a rat trap!

IMO a mouse trap would hurt! I have caught my finger in one and man, don't wanna do it again! :yell:
A Bichon is not a big dog. I think it would be very painful to use a trap. :sad:

jessi76
February 1st, 2008, 08:30 AM
mouse traps!!!!!!!!!

horrible and cruel advice. yes, they CAN get hurt. To even suggest that for a 9 yr old arthritic SMALL dog is insane. in fact, to suggest using a mouse trap on any dog is insane.

I agree w/ Frenchy & SnowDancer, get some pet steps or a ramp for the bed. If the dog has arthritis, I think I'd opt for the ramp instead of the steps. The steps could become difficult for an arthritic dog.

and btw, I think it's wonderful you chose to adopt an older dog! :thumbs up

GSDog
February 1st, 2008, 08:17 PM
if its a small dog you put the sheet over the traps...all the dog will hear is when they are set off...or newpaper...i dont think they would of put it in books if it was dangerous...

i use it for my cat not to go in the plants but the traps arent on...he snapped one of them and to this day he just looks at one takes off...and now that i got a dog the cat decided to get on the kitchen table so now i put 2 mouse traps not ready and he doesnt go...they are there only when i have to leave the house...

jessi76
February 2nd, 2008, 08:15 AM
if its a small dog you put the sheet over the traps...all the dog will hear is when they are set off...or newpaper...i dont think they would of put it in books if it was dangerous...

there are books on dog fighting too... just because it's in a book doesn't make it SAFE or SANE.

and I can see it now... at the vet's office... "gee, I don't know how his paw got broken.. there was a sheet over the traps I set in the bed....."

:frustrated:

SnowDancer
February 2nd, 2008, 10:42 AM
jessi76 - I too am appalled at the very thought of mouse traps - the sheets not helping the matter either. I wish the original poster would come back and say what she did. To me the ramp would be the better bet. I have never had a dog with arthritis, but it could happen with my Eskimo. But with my former mini Dachshunds, a ramp it would have been.