Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How Often To Ice

Lukka'sma
January 27th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Lukka was sent home with instructions to exercise her leg and ice it three times daily. Today was also the first day that her pain meds have been reduced and she does seem more uncomfortable today than previous days since surgery. I am wondering if it will help lessen the pain if I were to ice her leg before and after her extension exercises?
Also when she has her staples removed do they just pull them out without sedation of any kind:eek:

BusterBoo
January 27th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Not sure about the icing question, but as for the staples......

If this helps any.....I had an incision many years ago (thyroid cancer) and they used staples instead of stitches. When they removed them, I never felt a thing!!!! A lot better than stitches for sure!

Byrd
January 27th, 2008, 06:57 PM
I doubt it would hurt if you iced it before and after, although it may numb it too much before making her not feel it if it hurts too much and that could cause problems.

Staples don't hurt to come out.

Myka
January 27th, 2008, 07:15 PM
I've had stitches and staples, and neither hurt when they came out.

As for icing...I think you should ask you vet.

If there is swelling then I should think that icing would be a good idea, and in that case the more often the better, but don't exceed 15 minutes per icing.

If there is no swelling then it's likely that heat would help instead of ice. Heat will increase circulation, and help to speed up healing as well as loosen stiff muscles and tendons. Heat application is the same as icing...the more often the better, but don't exceed 15 minutes. You can make a homemade heat pack out of rice or whole wheat. Put into a cotton bag or tie in a pillowcase, and put in the microwave for 20-30 seconds to heat up.

Ice for new injuries, heat for old injuries. :)

Frenchy
January 27th, 2008, 07:23 PM
although it may numb it too much before making her not feel it if it hurts too much and that could cause problems.

My thoughts too , I wouldn't ice it before the walks. Sometimes it's better when they feel pain so they know they have to rest it.

Luba
January 27th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Don't ice before the range of motion only after :thumbs up

My dog had stitches not staples so I'm sorry I can't help ya on that one.

Lukka'sma
January 27th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Thanks for all the replies, I very much appreciate the input from you

rainbow
January 27th, 2008, 09:36 PM
I would only ice after exercising as well. As long as she is still toe touching and not gone back to holding her leg up then it's better that she's a bit uncomfortable so she won't try to do too much too fast.

And, the staples do not hurt to come out.....no sedation required.

Give beautiful Lukka some hugs for me. :grouphug: :grouphug:

NoahGrey
January 28th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Why don't you contact your vet. As for stiches, They are usually not sedated.

ACO22

Lukka'sma
January 28th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Why don't you contact your vet. As for stiches, They are usually not sedated.

ACO22

I would have but when I thought of the question it was Sunday and the vet wasn't at the office
They are staples not stitches