Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog is afraid of vet

Myka
January 27th, 2008, 01:36 PM
My dog is 9 years old. She has been very afraid of the vet since she had to go to emergency twice in 2003. Poor hound... :sad:

The first experience she got dirt jammed down between her eyeball and her lower eyelid. So we went to the vet to get the dirt out, and have a once over to make sure she was ok. She stood very well for the vet to have her eye flushed out. I held her head in a gentle head lock to make sure she didn't move and injure her eye on the vet's syringe. She didn't struggle, and was very good. I don't think this was the experience that bothered her.

The second experience was only a few months later. Her and her buddy were running and playing, and the other dog cut her off and ran her into a wheelbarrow. The wheelbarrow arm impaled her (it was the usual rounded end wooden kind...not something you'd expect to be dangerous!) just ahead of her flank. When I saw it happen I thought she broke her hip at first by the way she was trying to hobble over to me. :eek: When I started to check her out a big gob of coagulated blood spat out of the hole in her side. :eek::eek::eek: So I go racing to the vet (45 minutes away).

Poor hound was in shock by the time we got there, but luckily the vet was already there waiting for us. The vet stuck her finger in the hole with my dog standing to feel around to see if there was internal damage WITH NO ANESTHETIC! :eek: My dog was totally hunched up screaming! This took about 3-5 minutes for her to check it out. My dog didn't scream the whole time, but she did several times. The vet told me she had to do it without anesthetic because the dog's behavior would be imperative to make a good diagnosis. The thought of that scene is making me feel ill just typing it out.

Every vet I've talked to since is absolutely astounded that my dog wasn't under anesthetic when this was happening. My dog eventually did go under anesthetic to get stitched up and have a drain put in. She was then sent home with me. :eek:

You guys must understand though, that where I used to live there were only two vets. One was mostly a cattle vet although he also did horses, dogs, cats, and small animals. The other which I used was the better choice, but still wasn't up to par imo. But I didn't have any other choice. :(

So ever since that horrifying experience my dog is very afraid of vets. She hides her head in my arms just to get her heart and lungs checked. In fact, she hides her head anytime the vet touches her or approaches her (unless he has cookies). She gets lots of treats, and is told she is good, but this fear isn't getting any better. She knows the vet pokes her with needles, and puts Kennel Cough vaccine up her nose (this is an ordeal). The Kennel Cough is the only thing that she behaves poorly for, otherwise she is just scared, but still listens. She is very well trained (I've trained several dogs for their CD).

Any ideas? I think I'm doing all I can for her... :confused:

luckypenny
January 27th, 2008, 07:43 PM
The thought of that scene is making me feel ill just typing it out.

Just reading it is making me ill :o .

Whenever you go into town, how about taking her with you? Visit the vet's office for cookies and pats only (our vets don't charge for social visits). Eventually she'll learn that going doesn't always mean something uncomfortable. But please, have her ride in the front with you attached to the seatbelt with a harness.

Myka
January 27th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Just reading it is making me ill :o .

Whenever you go into town, how about taking her with you? Visit the vet's office for cookies and pats only (our vets don't charge for social visits). Eventually she'll learn that going doesn't always mean something uncomfortable.

I like your idea, but I don't think it will work because she's quite happy when the vet has cookies in his hand, and acts normal then. She's fine to walk into the exam room. It's when he has a needle or the stethoscope or something else in his hands. She's not afraid of either of these things outside of a vet office though. She's also afraid of the vet touching her (other than a pat on the head), so maybe it would help if I could go in for cookies and a vet rub down. lol

Frenchy
January 27th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Let's not make this a discussion about dogs in the back of a truck please.

:confused: don't you think this is the main reason she's been afraid ????? think about this for a minute ! :wall:

clm
January 27th, 2008, 10:23 PM
She's unlikely to lose her fear of vets now. My first dog was terrified after getting a cortizone (sp?) shot in his leg as a young dog. After that he had to be muzzled any time we even thought of taking him to the vet. He would turn into Cujo. We changed vets after that bad experience, but it made no difference.

As for putting a dog in the back of a pickup truck, you should know better. An incredibly thoughless practice that could have killed the poor dog. Put him in a secured kennel in the back or have him ride in the cab.

Cindy

Myka
January 28th, 2008, 12:45 AM
clm: Thanks for sharing your experiences. I don't think my dog will ever get over her fear of the vet either, but I'm willing to try. At least she doesn't need to be muzzled. The comment on the truck was clearly stated as not being wanted. Cheers!

rainbow
January 28th, 2008, 01:04 AM
Actually, there is a law in B.C. now that states it is illegal for dogs to ride loose in the back of pickups.

luckypenny
January 28th, 2008, 01:12 AM
The first experience she was riding in the back of a truck. She was tied, but I must have not clipped her in properly because she was able to jump out. ...and there was a bike in the back with her. We went around a corner, the bike shifted a bit, and she jumped. We were going about 40-50 km/h.

Luckily her injuries were minor. She landed on her front feet, but they gave way, and her head hit the dirt. Thankfully she landed in the ditch, not the concrete. She knocked herself out for about 10 seconds, got road rash on her paws and a bit on her head, and got dirt jammed down between her eyeball and her lower eyelid.

Ummm, if you don't want it discussed, then why post about it in detail :confused: ? You have to understand that members here would naturally be concerned for the safety of your pet. Sounds like a little bubble wrap is just what your baby needs :shrug: .

Myka
January 28th, 2008, 01:27 AM
I will ask for this thread to be deleted if you people won't quit commenting on the truck. When my dog rides in the back of the truck (maybe once or twice a year) she is tied in, and when she jumped out, she was supposed to be tied in. I don't know how she got unclipped. She will ride in the back of the truck again. Get over it.

Please discuss the issue with her being afraid of the vet due to her being "abused" by the vet.

rainbow
January 28th, 2008, 01:31 AM
Think of the law
It's against the law! Section 72 of the BC Motor Vehicle Act prohibits the transport of an unsecured pet in the back of a pick-up truck. Under the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act you can also be charged for cruelty to animals if your pet is injured.

Actually, I think you should read the whole article regarding your dog's safety. ....

http://www.spca.bc.ca/animalissues/dogstrucks.asp

clm
January 28th, 2008, 07:24 AM
I will ask for this thread to be deleted if you people won't quit commenting on the truck. When my dog rides in the back of the truck (maybe once or twice a year) she is tied in, and when she jumped out, she was supposed to be tied in. I don't know how she got unclipped. She will ride in the back of the truck again. Get over it.

Please discuss the issue with her being afraid of the vet due to her being "abused" by the vet.

By putting her improperly secured in the back of the truck, she was abused by you first.

Cindy

mireland
January 28th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Boy, you people are not very helpful are you? Do you just sit around looking for something in people's post to chastise them about when they have come to this forum looking for help?? I have noticed this in the last few posts I've read. I think the webmasters need to get rid of posters who only want to blame and disparage people and keep posters who want to be helpful to pet lovers.

"Be not deceived, God is not mocked:
for whatsoever a man shall sow, that shall he also reap"

Myka
January 28th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Boy, you people are not very helpful are you? Do you just sit around looking for something in people's post to chastise them about when they have come to this forum looking for help?? I have noticed this in the last few posts I've read. I think the webmasters need to get rid of posters who only want to blame and disparage people and keep posters who want to be helpful to pet lovers.

Thank you mireland! :highfive:

I've PMed one of the admins asking to have all the replies deleted, and I edited my first post. I am so frustrated with these forums that I'm nearly ready to toss the towel in. In fact, once I get my dog happily onto a raw diet I don't think I will frequent these forums anymore. They are not friendly at all. :frustrated: :shrug: