Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cat afraid of laser pointer

Kristin7
January 27th, 2008, 08:41 AM
I was wondering if this is common? I bought a laser pointer for my cats as I keep reading how much fun they are to chase. Two of them love it, and actually my dog seems to like it the most, so the cats just get to watch if he is around. :laughing: But one of my cats hates it and will run from the little red dot. Is that strange, or do other cats also do this?? :shrug: I've had her since she was a kitten so she hasn't had any bad laser pointer experiences...

pitgrrl
January 27th, 2008, 09:03 AM
I don't know about cats, but you might want to keep an eye on the dog when it comes to the laser pointer, some can become really, really obsessive and start chasing all manner of lights, shadows, etc.

I actually think there was a member here who had a dog who became extremely obsessive about lights, etc., I wish I could remember her username.

Here's one article that mentions their use:

http://doglinks.co.nz/problems/barry_place/obsessive_compulsive_behavior.htm

Kristin7
January 27th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Thanks, I'd never thought of that. We don't use it very often, so I doubt that will be a problem, though. Also, he's a rather mellow dog and not obsessed about anything. Poor kitties, they only get to play when he is not around - he loves all their other toys too. :D

jessi76
January 27th, 2008, 10:50 AM
I bought one of those for my cats, in an effort to get them to play more. they both gave me this look like "you expect us to chase a red dot? do we look stupid to you?"

and then the dog gave me the same look.

and that was the end of that. it's now in the black hole of the "junk" drawer.

Kristin7
January 27th, 2008, 10:57 AM
:laughing: Glad mine isn't the only one! I suspect she is too smart and knows she'll never catch it!