Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Amber was in a fight today!

JanM
January 25th, 2008, 08:43 PM
It was pretty scary but no-one got hurt thank goodness! A friend brought her dog and one that is visiting her house - she didn't know the dog - it's a lab cross (no-one knows what the other breed(s) may be). Anyway, my friend threw a stick for her visiting dog called Arrow, and both Arrow and Amber arrived at the stick at the same time. Arrow started the fight but Amber held her own.

It happened so darn fast and I was only steps away but by the time I got to them the fight was over. It didn't seem to be a serious dog fight but more one of who's boss and who gets the treasure. I'm pretty sure it was my approach that stopped the fight because Arrow backed off as soon as I got close (thank goodness).

Amber held up her front leg as if it was hurt so I massaged it and just kept her quiet for a few minutes - she's fine now.

Interestingly, after the fight Amber had the stick and she and Arrow would walk side by side with absolutely no problem! Go figure.. but I'm not too sure I'd want to be throwing a ball for Amber if that dog was around!

Just one of life's scary moments!

jiorji
January 25th, 2008, 08:52 PM
oh noes!! hope AMber is going ok

this could've been serious but LOL i love how animals too hold up their feet like "look mom..booboo....kiss..make better??:o" so cute:cloud9:
I need her foot needs more massaging :cloud9:

JanM
January 25th, 2008, 09:01 PM
oh noes!! hope AMber is going ok

this could've been serious but LOL i love how animals too hold up their feet like "look mom..booboo....kiss..make better??:o" so cute:cloud9:
I need her foot needs more massaging :cloud9:

:laughing: I'm pretty darn sure that's exactly what Amber was doing... aw gee Mom - I really need some loving here :laughing:

hazelrunpack
January 25th, 2008, 09:03 PM
:grouphug: That's scary--I'm glad Amber is okay! Maybe it was just a one-time deal--now that they've worked out who has 'status', they'd get along famously! But you sure wouldn't want to test it! :eek:

Frenchy
January 25th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Interestingly, after the fight Amber had the stick and she and Arrow would walk side by side with absolutely no problem!

Maybe it was just a one-time deal--now that they've worked out who has 'status', they'd get along famously!

I think that's exactly it !

I'm glad Amber is ok :goodvibes:

Ford Girl
January 25th, 2008, 09:36 PM
JanM, I feel your anxiety. :grouphug: Thank goodness it was a no injury scuffle.

I go thru this too, it's loud and scarey and very verbal, teeth and snarls, it's almost violent for all of 5 seconds...very primal. All you can do it try and break it up without gettign hurt, but they dont usually last long, and them showing they could play with the same stick afterwards just meant they understood each other...one of them came out on top...I think you are right, it's a who's the boss situation....and they are not usually long and drawn out...

Some dogs happily release top dog staus or the stick or toy or ball, and there are are happy go lucky dogs oblivious to it all, just there to have fun, some seem to look for conflict or it always find them..and act on it. Dazy's one of those.

Just something that came to mind...One thing I learnt last week at the class at the CHS was coping mechinisms for dogs, calming signals, how they deal with stress. If they can cope (not all can), they try and calm themselves..raising of the paw is one of the way they cope with stress (alongs with lip licking, panting, sneezing, sratching, shaking like they got out of the bath and their wet, etc....) I found that interesting....not only are they trying to calm themselves, they are sending calming signals to the other dogs...

JanM
January 25th, 2008, 09:44 PM
"Just something that came to mind...One thing I learnt last week at the class at the CHS was coping mechinisms for dogs, calming signals, how they deal with stress. If they can cope (not all can), they try and calm themselves..raising of the paw is one of the way they cope with stress (alongs with lip licking, panting, sneezing, sratching, shaking like they got out of the bath and their wet, etc....) I found that interesting....not only are they trying to calm themselves, they are sending calming signals to the other dogs..."

Thanks for posting this - I had not heard that before - and here I was thinking she was just playing me for attention :D This is good to know though - just in case it should happen again (God forbid!). All in all, Amber did cope well though - better than I did!

Ford Girl
January 25th, 2008, 09:59 PM
Thanks for posting this - I had not heard that before - and here I was thinking she was just playing me for attention :D This is good to know though - just in case it should happen again (God forbid!). All in all, Amber did cope well though - better than I did!

I'd say it's a bit of both, the foot raising is the coping mechinism, to snap their mind out of it, calm them selves down, something they focus on, but coming to you for support means she see's you as her "safe" person...for support..reassurance.

I thought this interesting - after a good hard wrestling match, playing hard, most dogs will shake hard, like they are shaking after a bath....like they snap themselves out of that level of energy...it calms them...it usually mean break time :shrug: :thumbs up

Byrd
January 25th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Sounds like it was just a status thing, "my yard, my stick". We go through this all the time when after class we let the dogs run around and play, 8-10 dogs and a few balls and tugs and you're bound to get a tiff or two.

Glad they're both okay. Remember for the future though not to get in the middle of a fight, we just yell "HEY" at them when they start, usually reminds them that the alphas are here so there's no need for petty squabbles.

Frenchy
January 25th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Just something that came to mind...One thing I learnt last week at the class at the CHS was coping mechinisms for dogs, calming signals, how they deal with stress. If they can cope (not all can), they try and calm themselves..raising of the paw is one of the way they cope with stress (alongs with lip licking, panting, sneezing, sratching, shaking like they got out of the bath and their wet, etc....) I found that interesting....not only are they trying to calm themselves, they are sending calming signals to the other dogs...

That's very interesting and good to know , thanks for posting this ! :thumbs up

growler~GateKeeper
January 26th, 2008, 01:39 AM
Glad everyone was okay :thumbs up :grouphug:

This is true, you may notice alot of stressed dogs will wash their feet etc constantly after the stressful situation has ended - they basically are calming themselves - kinda like mum-dog licking the puppies after "scolding" them.