Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Do You Brush your Dog's Teeth?

Corrie
January 25th, 2008, 02:31 PM
I got my Dogs in Canada magazine yesterday, comes with your CKC yearly membership, and there was an article all about dental care and also an ad for a product called LEBA III which is a spray that softens the tarter on your dog’s teeth and then the tarter simply can drop off. The article was very clear that human toothpaste should never be used on a dog.

So my question to you is…do you brush your dog’s teeth? If so, did you start when they were a puppy? My Charlotte is a 3 year old Westie who has BEAUTIFUL teeth and I want to keep them this way…do you think it is too late to start brushing her teeth? How in the world do you keep her from eating the brush...and spitting just seems out of the question!!!!
:headslap:

hazelrunpack
January 25th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Our tooth-brushing routine is rather long--comes with having 8 dogs--but yes, we do it every day. We've seen good results.

Human toothpaste should never be used, but the enzymatic products made especially for dogs are good. We've tried malt, mint, vanilla mint, and poultry flavored canine toothpastes, but they really prefer the poultry flavored ones.

Most of my dogs are good about getting their teeth brushed. Usually we start with a finger brush--it just slips over the end of your finger, you apply toothpaste, then rub it along the dog's teeth and gums. Very easy to do and most dogs seem to adjust to that better than just jumping in with a brush. Once you move to a brush, you'll find it easier to do the back teeth.

I'm not sure if this method will work with a Westie--we have English Setters and they have big lips--but to keep them from chewing on the brush, I wrap my fingers around the dog's snout on one side, pinning the lip gently around the molars. They won't bite down because they'd bite their lip! :dog: Works like a charm--brush the teeth on the opposite side, then switch sides. That might not work with a smaller dog with less flew, though.

Good luck! It's a great way to keep your dog's pearly whites pearly and white. :D

TKW
January 25th, 2008, 04:50 PM
I brush my dog's teeth once in a blue moon and needless to say it's not good enough. When I saw the ad on Leba last month, I was rather interested and posted on another forum to find out the effectiveness and side effect. Unfortunately, I only get one reply with 2nd hand info on it. I'd sure like to try it since my dog doesn't like to chew bones. I've tried sterlized bone, Nylabone and raw bone. (I tried cooked bone before too and learned a lesson.)

I brush manually with pet tooth paste. I was told some people use electric tooth brush with good result but it freaked him out when I tried to use one.
My vet once said instead of brushing, give him raw bone to chew under supervision would do a better job.

dmc123
January 25th, 2008, 05:07 PM
I brush the dogs, and Harley and Huxley's (cats) teeth once a week, I know I should do it more often. I don't do Cody (16 1/2 yr old cat)- stresses him to badly. Have started on the Quads, occasionally - soon to be a weekly thing for them too.

Diane

ancientgirl
January 25th, 2008, 07:30 PM
I've tried to do the Fantastic Four, but it's almost impossible. Vlad hates it, Oksana wiggles around so much, and the little ones go nuts and run.

I've been buying the Greenies and give them a few daily since it's supposed to help with their teeth.