Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need Advice About Gastroplexy!!

NeedAdvice
January 25th, 2008, 01:58 PM
My wife and I adopted a 6yr old Lab/Rot mix named Calvin. Over the last 5 months he's become a huge part of the family and probably the best dog I've ever had. (That's not to say all of my dog's weren't great!) Anyway, two nights ago Cal started showing signs of bloat and when I went to take him to the ER Vet he successfully vomited and seemed to be somewhat relieved. Long story short I ended up taking him in anyway (better safe than sorry). The Dr. did an X-ray and said that although his stomach wasn't twisted, he did show signs of bloat (gassy stomach and intestines) and I should discuss gastroplexy with my normal Vet. The following night/morning he started to show signs of bloat again, only to have them pass in 5 minutes. After talking with my vet numerous times we're now at a place where we can't determine if this is just a gas problem, or actual "bloat" (being a preexisting problem before we adopted him). The last 48 hours have been emotionally taxing and I'm seriously considering getting the procedure done so I don't have to worry if it is in fact bloat. Can anyone advise me if this is a good idea? Although I trust my vet, I don't want to put the big boy under unessecary stress and surgery, but at the same time I don't want to wait until it's too late. If anyone has advice, I would really appreciate it!

14+kitties
January 25th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Sorry I don't have any information for you. Just wanted to wish you the best and thank you for adopting an older dog.
I am sure someone with lots more knowledge will be along soon.

Purpledomino
January 25th, 2008, 08:03 PM
If your veterinarian recommends this procedure, I think you should consider it. Seeing that your dog has already had two episodes of bloat which thank goodness did not manifest into a twist.... I would do it. IMO it is pretty apparant that your dog has the potential risk of a gastric tortion, and for your piece of mind this relatively simple operation could save his life.

I lost my dog Bear to a tortion a couple years ago, and believe me, it is a horrible thing to witness. It is such a painful ordeal for the poor dog, and it can progress so quickly (like his) that death is pretty common if surgery isn't immediate. If I were you....it would be a no-brainer.