Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I found a fabulous place to board our cats!!!!

Stacer
January 24th, 2008, 03:29 PM
So hubby and I are going on vacation in mid-february for 10 days. I've been trying to find a good option for our cats while were gone. My parents would normally take them but they're watching my sister's cats for a few months and there's just not enough time to do a proper introduction. So I've been searching for cat only boarding and let me tell you, they're few and far between in my area. I used one nearby for 8 hours a few months ago when we were having work done in our apartment and it was a huge disappointment; dirty, smelly, no windows, only lattice dividing the cats, most of the cats were roaming free and our cats were traumatized, so we'll never take them there again.

I was googling cat boarding and came across a really nice website for a place near Guelph ON. So today I went for a visit to check it out and was thoroughly impressed. The place was immaculate, no smells, the kennels were very nice, multi level, windows in every one with bird feeder outside, solid walls between kennels. They clean each kennel every morning and again if the cats make a mess. They completely change the litter twice a day or more if needed. Each cat gets individual time outside their kennel with no other cats out and snuggle time. They have an enclosed run for cats who normally go outside. The woman who owns it lives on the property and it's evident that she loves cats. She's very knowledgeable about cat behaviour and seems to share the same opinion on cat health and nutrition as those of us on this forum. She has 2 cats of her own that she rescued.

If anybody is interested in using this kennel, or just wants to see what a nice cat kennel looks like from the pics on the website, PM me and I'll give you the web address. I'm just so excited to have found such a great place to board the kitties while we're away, and with someone who obviously enjoys her work.

BAILEYSMUDGE
January 24th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Sounds interesting.... and the name is....? I would love to see this website... I'm going away in September and so far I've found two possible cat sitters... (one's I know and love).. but it's always good to have a Plan B.

Stacer
January 24th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Baileysmudge, check your pm. I don't know if I can post the website in the forum.

BAILEYSMUDGE
January 25th, 2008, 12:07 PM
ok... I'm dumb... what does "PM" mean??

Stacer
January 25th, 2008, 12:43 PM
private message:laughing:

kashtin's kin
January 26th, 2008, 06:44 PM
...is this place 'Cats Only Bed & Breakfast'? If so, it is indeed a fantastic place; a family member had 3 cats longterm boarded. I wouldn't mind a vacation there myself :D.

Stacer
January 27th, 2008, 02:04 AM
It's called Cat Nap Cottages. I'm gonna put up the web address, if it's not OK admins please edit. www.catnapcottages.ca

Where's Cats Only Bed and Breakfast?

sugarcatmom
January 27th, 2008, 08:28 AM
Wow, that place looks awesome! This part is impressive:

Going That Extra Mile - Each day your cat is closely monitored. Amount of food eaten, water consumption, bowel movements, urinating habits and behaviour are all recorded. Your cats health is paramount and our staff know how to watch for signs of illness or distress.

And I love this:

Each guest will receive lov'n in the form he/she likes best. This may be snuggles, massage, head and/or belly rubs or just a visit with a friendly voice for those that are a little nervous. (This turns into snuggles rather quickly though.)

(I don't see anything wrong with posting the link - it's not like you personally are profiting from it.)

chico2
January 27th, 2008, 08:36 AM
WOW,looks like a great place:thumbs up
Am I beeing nosy asking how much $$$???
My son usually stays here with my cats,but if I had to board 3 cats,I'd drive to Guelph for sure..

Stacer
January 27th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Going That Extra Mile - Each day your cat is closely monitored. Amount of food eaten, water consumption, bowel movements, urinating habits and behaviour are all recorded. Your cats health is paramount and our staff know how to watch for signs of illness or distress

When I visited, they actually had little clip boards hanging from each kennel with all the information about their daily activities.

Chico, it's going to cost us $27 per day for both of them (probably only $13-$15 for one cat per day) for the first week then after that it's 10% less. And if you have to board longer there's further discount. It's a little more expensive than other places, but I was convinced when I saw it and talked to the woman that runs it that it was well worth the couple extra dollars per day.

Stacer
January 27th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Oh yeah, and she has larger kennels so that cats from the same family can stay togther. So Angus and Finn can still snuggle and sleep together:cloud9:

chico2
January 27th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Stacer,that is not bad at all,well worth it:thumbs up
I thought something like $25 per cat/day..

meg4050
January 27th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Wow that place sounds awesome! I was worried about boarding Peaches if I take a short trip after graduation with his condition, but that palce sounds perfect!

Stacer
January 27th, 2008, 12:36 PM
I'll write a little review of it after we return from our trip in mid Feb. I'm almost as excited for our cats to go there as I am for my own trip! :laughing:

Stacer
February 25th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Angus and Finn had a fabulous time at Cat Nap Cottages! We dropped them off 2 Fridays ago and picked them up yesterday. The owner told us to feel free to call or email throughout the week to check up on them. So we kept in touch via email and got regular updates on how they were adapting. It took them a couple days but they relaxed into their routine.
They had free time outside of their "cottage" several times a day with lots of play and snuggles from the staff. The owner and staff really got to know the cats while they were there and told us about all the cute things they did. Angus and Finn were roaming about when we arrived and the owner took the time to tell us how the week went while they had their last romp around the joint. They really liked Angus and Finn and were sad to see them go.

We will definitely be bringing Angus and Finn back to Cat Nap Cottages the next time we go away.

BusterKitty
February 25th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Yay!!! Kittays were both happy!!!:DThey have done a very good job:thumbs upHave there ever been any aggressive cats or something? Or any cats that were VERY territorial? Do they have a special place for those cats?

It seems pretty inexpensive but it might take a while to drive there:sad:

Stacer
February 25th, 2008, 11:52 PM
Since cats from different households are kept separate at all times, they all get individual free time outside their kennels, there's no chance of an aggressive cat doing harm to another cat, only the staff. I think that if a cat is aggressive they won't accept it back a second time. And they'll probably ask you questions about your cat's behaviour before you board it with them. It didn't appear that they had special places for territorial or aggressive cats, just well separated quarters for each guest. I'm sure they'd take extra care with a territorial/agressive cat and try to make it as comfortable as possible.

Some of the "cottages" were situated so that it's occupant can't see other guests and they also have curtains that can be put on the outside of the cottage doors so that the cat has some privacy, if seeing other cats is stressing it out.

Love4himies
February 26th, 2008, 07:09 AM
Sounds like a wonderful place to board your kitties.

chico2
February 26th, 2008, 08:18 AM
It sounds wonderful Stacer:thumbs up
How did the cats react once they were back home??

onster
February 26th, 2008, 10:26 AM
place sounds great.

definately an option when I need to board my kitties in the summer :thumbs up

ancientgirl
February 26th, 2008, 10:40 AM
I totally missed this post. That place you found sounds like a place I recently found here too. This place is called A Country Cat House. It is also set up like a little cottage. Cats from the same household can stay in "penthouses" which are two or three levels. They are also let out for individual roaming time.

I think it's great that places like these are popping up. I recently noticed Petsmart started to open pet hotels.

I love my vet's office, but if I were to have to leave them somewhere for longer than a night, I'd want to leave them at a place like this. It's more homey, and they give the cats entertainment.

onster
June 3rd, 2008, 11:29 AM
Stacer, :thankyou: for this post. I just booked my kitties here from July 9- sep4. Long time to be away from my babies and will cost me a pretty penny but well worth it. I am going to tour the place on friday before I confirm the booking :goodvibes:

If you pm with ure real name I can put u down as having referred me and next time u stay u get 10 dollars off :thumbs up She asked me who referred me ( i said someone off a pet site:p) but she said I can call them anytime to give them the name.

onster
June 3rd, 2008, 11:37 AM
If anyone is interested I can take my cam on friday and snap a few photos to post...

Stacer
July 12th, 2008, 01:02 PM
I completely missed this post a month ago. I'm so glad that I could be of help to you in finding a fabulous pace for Onnie and Bunduk. Iit truly is the best place for cats to go when parents are away.

I'll PM my info to you, that little discount will come in handy the next time we board them!!