Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Have you heard of Life's Abundance dog food??

Wilson812
January 24th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Hello,
Have any of you heard of this dog food before? Life's Abundance...I have to try another dry food for my dog because he was eating Authority and liked it, but just recently it has been giving him bad poop. Throughout the years I have tried everything and he is really picky. This new food seems pretty good and natural. The website is:

http://www.healthypetnet.com/HealthyPetNet/Home.aspx?realname=40008597&Ath=False&hdr=&cat=0

Let me know your thoughts please!

Thanks,
Kelly and Pup Wilson!

mika140
January 24th, 2008, 10:48 PM
I haven't personally tried it, but know others who have and who really like it with good results. The ingredients look good....worth a try if it passes the taste test :thumbs up

Noles1984
January 25th, 2008, 09:05 AM
I emailed Life's Abundance with the following and never received a reply.

On your site, you compare Life's Abundance to some of the worst dog foods: Iams, Eukanuba, Science Diet, Beneful, Purina One, and Purina Pro Plan. True. These are nasty foods made of poor ingredients.

You also chose Nature's Recipe and Wellness. Natures Recipe does not contain ground whole wheat and Wellness... you chose that because of Rye Flour being in the ingredients and no grape seed extract (a source of concentrated antioxidant nutrients). Rye flour is not considered a poor ingredient and not an allergen by animal nutritionists.

Note: Grape seed extract is not the only antioxidant source. Cranberries, blueberries, carrots, kelp, parsley, mixed tocopherols and a number of other ingredients in premium foods contain antioxidant properties.

Try comparing Life's Abundance to better foods and it doesn't hold up so well.

What you fail to show is that Life's Abundance has:
Potato Product: Is obtained from the manufacture of processed potato products for human consumption. It's a cheap byproduct of human food processing that has been stripped of much of the nutritional benefits that whole, fresh potatoes offer.

Fish Meal: You have not specified the fish source so it's considered "fish meal" which is the clean, rendered, dried ground tissue of undecomposed whole fish or fish cuttings, either or both, with or without the extraction of part of the oil. All fish meal not destined for human consumption must be preserved with Ethoxyquin, a pesticide created by Monsanto in quantities of 400ppm to 1000ppm. Fish meal is classified by the U.S. Coast Guard as a Solid Hazardous Material and is transported as such.

rainbow
January 26th, 2008, 03:53 AM
I agree and don't like the "potato product" and "fish meal" ingredients either. Also the dried egg product for the same reason as the "potato product". And, the brewers dried yeast, although high in B vitamins, can be a potential allergen.

I also don't like the fact that this is one of those pyramid companies.

mika140
January 26th, 2008, 10:15 AM
I agree with picking on those little ingredient issues......but was also looking at what it's being compared to - Authority. Authority's Harvest Baked line looks ok (although might be a little grain heavy and I can't find a complete ingredient listing), but their regular line is not something I like. So if it's between that or Life's Abundance, I say go for Life's Abundance. It may have minor issues, but at least no major ingredient problems (by products, corn gluten meal, etc). And it sounds like it is one of only a few options remaining for wilson to try.

rainbow
January 26th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Wilson812, can you tell us all the foods you have tried with Wilson? :)

Wilson812
January 28th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Hey everyone, thanks for your responses...I had ordered the Life's Abundance food and got it in today. Wilson loved it! I couldn't believe it. He never eats dry food by itself,but tonight he was so happy with. I guess we will see how long it lasts! I have come to the conclusion that no dog food is going to be perfect, I mean look at human food! I just want to make sure he is getting ingredients that are good for him and that he's not allergic to.
Wilson really has tried alot of different foods...all the major brands you find in Petco as well as Solid Gold, Royal Canin, and Science Diet ID(prescription). I even tried Beneful and of course he loved that one! I know it's the worst so I didn't keep him on it that long. If he will eat this new food and be happy, then I will be happy. I got him a multi-vitamin as well.
I'll keep you all posted after a couple weeks to talk about the results...
I have no intention of getting into a pyramid sceme, I just want a good product for my baby!
Thanks!:)