Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Full Moon Tuesday

Byrd
January 23rd, 2008, 05:32 PM
Crappy day gets crappier!!!! :wall:

The morning started off with a fight with a co-worker, which escalated throughout the day. She's a tough one to work with anyway, but when she's in a mood it's soooo bad. Yeah, it got to the yelling and screaming point! :evil:

Then it's off to class, and our trainer is sick, so it's just me and her daughter teaching. After we're done with the classes we bring Willow out for her training. She's really psyched.... full moon. So, as we're doing recalls she misses her tug toy and rips into my hand!!!! So she's going at about 45km (I really have to calculate that one day - 2 seconds for 60 ft, what's that work out to speed-wise, anyone?), bites my hand, and the force of her speed and body drag it forward... ouchy for the tendons. I look at it and there's a huge hole, so down I go sitting on the floor because I can't take this stuff. Luckily one of our students was still there and she used to be a medic and she cleaned it and bandaged it. We worked on some crossing with Willow and she did great at that, finally she's getting the right idea that she's not to go after the dog she's crossing with.

After we cleaned up I stopped at Shopper's on the way home to get some bandages. I asked the pharmasist which would be best for my wound, by now my hand is at least twice it's size. She tells me I'd better get to emerg because it could get infected and cellulitis could set in and that I likely need stitches. I take Willow home and then head to the hospital. I was waiting for two hours before going in, then an hour before the doctor came in, he told me that it can't be stitched because they prefer not to stitch animal bites because they get infected easier if they are closed, so if I don't mind the scar he'd prefer not to stitch it (it's about an inch long and half an inch wide), so he soaked it in iodine and saline and then the nurse bandaged it for me. He said it wasn't necessary to get antibiotics yet either. I ended up leaving the hospital at 2 am. I got to bed at nearly 3 and got up for work at 6:30. I'm exhausted and my hand is bruised and killing me, the swelling has gone down, but it's still swollen. I really wish that they could have stitched it because I've changed the bandage three times already today.

The worse part is, because it was an animal bite they had to report it to public health, even though it was my own dog and it was more my fault than hers. There was a message from them when I got home just stating that they got the report and they know it's my own dog so there is nothing I need to do, they just wondered how I was doing. I called and left a message back because someone had told me that their dog bit someone and they couldn't leave the yard for a month, that's not good because we have a tournament in three weeks. However, I'm pretty sure that it's animal control that does that and not public health as they seem to tend more with communicable diseases than dog bite issues. I hope they get back to me with that soon.

Anyway, crappy day over this way!

phoozles
January 23rd, 2008, 05:36 PM
:eek: That's one pretty intense day you had!
It can only look up from here, right? I think you should sit back and relax tonight!

Byrd
January 23rd, 2008, 05:47 PM
Yuppers, that's what I'm doing.

ancientgirl
January 23rd, 2008, 06:21 PM
The good thing about bad days, is they end and you can go home, relax and start over again the next day.

Byrd
January 23rd, 2008, 07:05 PM
True, very true.

Stacer
January 23rd, 2008, 08:03 PM
Yipes! That's a doozy of a day. Hope your hand feels better. :sick:

I got bit by a stray cat at work a couple months ago and had to deal with public health, but I had the rabies thing looming over me too, I was terrified. I'm happy to report that I'm rabies free though :D

Frenchy
January 23rd, 2008, 08:04 PM
Crappy day indeed Byrd ! :eek: I think it's weird they didn't give you antibiotics :cool: just in case ....

It's better without stitches , it will leave a scar , so next time this :censored: coworker gets on your nerve , you show her your hand and just tell her you got it in a bar fight ... and won. :evil:

Byrd
January 23rd, 2008, 08:07 PM
He said it wasn't necessary to give antibiotics unless it did actually get an infection.

The problem with the coworker will never go away as we both are stubborn with that strong "I'm right" personality.

hazelrunpack
January 23rd, 2008, 09:53 PM
Well I hope tomorrow is better for you! Sheesh! It never rains but it pours, eh, Byrd? :grouphug:

Hope your hand feels better tomorrow, too! :fingerscr

:grouphug:s for you and Willow.

growler~GateKeeper
January 23rd, 2008, 11:31 PM
:grouphug: Hope your hand doesn't hurt too much :fingerscr & feels better soon

the doctor came in, he told me that it can't be stitched because they prefer not to stitch animal bites because they get infected easier if they are closed, so if I don't mind the scar he'd prefer not to stitch it (it's about an inch long and half an inch wide), so he soaked it in iodine and saline and then the nurse bandaged it for me. He said it wasn't necessary to get antibiotics yet either.

Several years ago I was bit over the elbow by someone else's dog - 3 puncture wounds the biggest on the inside of my elbow same size as yours 1" long 1/2" wide & 1/2" deep bled profusely so much that I damn near passed out & not from the sight of blood that doesn't bother me. ER dr sutured it - after flushing it but she didn't suture the 2 on the outside of my elbow cuz they were smaller :shrug: No mention of possible infection & was not given antibiotics either :shrug:

Love4himies
January 24th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Oh my, you did have quite the $hitty day, some co-workers all you can do is just walk away, can't win anyways.

How is your hand doing??

Byrd
January 24th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Physically I feel fine, mentally I'm so ticked off, I can't wait for this week to be over!!!!

Public Health contacted me and they had to come and see the dog and will come back in 10 days to "make sure she's still alive" as in to make sure that she doesn't have rabies. Willow's under confinement until Feb 1 and is not allowed contact with people or other dogs. :rolleyes: I'm trying to explain that it wasn't malicious that it was an accident but they still have to 'follow protocol'!!!! I called her and left a message because I want one part of the form amended because it says that the order was given because the dog has been accused of biting, I want it amended to say that the dog accidentally bit its owner. I called my trainer and she said to file an appeal, this same situation happened to her with one of her dogs and she left it alone, but that was before BSL. I do not want my dog filed as a "dangerious dog". She said to be sure to put in the letter that I am a trainer, and in also within my chosen sport bites are prominant and it just happened that this one was bad enough to have to have it checked out.

*big sigh*

Byrd
January 24th, 2008, 05:49 PM
K, if you have a really, really weak stomach, don't look.
Day two, no more blood, I think I can let the air at it now, still a bit swollen and bruised, but not looking too bad.

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/6348/imgp5185uh8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/9379/imgp5186oo1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

hazelrunpack
January 24th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Ouch! Looks sore, but clean :thumbs up

When will you file the appeal? And when will you hear back if they'll amend the report?

:goodvibes: that he rest of your week improves! :grouphug:

growler~GateKeeper
January 24th, 2008, 11:08 PM
doesn't look too bad :thumbs up, airing out is good to improve circulation & promote healing...your Day 2 looks better than mine did w/sutures :rolleyes:

Longblades
January 25th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Re. the antibiotics and just for your curiosity... I attended a medical convention some years ago and one of the speakers was a doctor from Toronto discussing bite treatments. Here is what he said:

The most common bites are from people, dogs and cats.

Dogs and cats generally harbour fewer bacteria in their mouths because their teeth are more spaced out than human teeth.

Dog bites tend to be slashes across the skin without deep penetration so dog bites, if treated very soon after the bite, are not generally aggressively treated with antibiotics.

Cat and human bites are usually treated aggressively with antibiotics. Cat bites because they tend to penetrate more deeply and whatever bacteria they do have in their mouths are then provided with an environment deeper in the wound where they are more likely to cause problems. Human bites do not usually penetrate like a cat's but humans have more bacteria that can cause problems.

Dog bites left too long without thorough cleaning or from dogs whose bites do penetrate are treated aggressively.

He made quite clear that this was a general summation of all bites treated at his hospital over some years and that every bite is treated individually as there are always exceptions to the norm.

Lukka'sma
January 25th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Sorry that all this is happening to you and Willow
It has taught me that if I ever catch my hand on Lukka's teeth and I need treatment, I am going to say the dog was unknown to me and I didn't get any info from the owner

Byrd
January 25th, 2008, 07:07 PM
I sent in the appeal today.

I said it was a sporting injury when I went to the hospital, but they figured out it was a bite. My trainer said next time to admit it's a dog bite and say you didn't know the dog, she said that you don't have to give the details as to what dog it was, however when she tried that they resused to give her treatment until she did give the information.

I heard back from the agent that they are only filed as dangerous dog if the incident is reported to animal control, as it's my own dog, it won't be reported, so no problem with that. I also spoke to my vet office and they said that it doesn't matter what dog bit you and what the circumstances are they unfortunately still have to be sure. They also figured that the reason they are being such sticklers with it is because of the incident in Toronto.