Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Fabric causing Harley to STINK

SunGurl372
January 23rd, 2008, 03:45 PM
Was wondering if anyone has experienced their dog smelling badly when they lay on certain fabrics.

I've had Harley for 2 1/2 years, and NEVER had a smelly dog issue. She's the type of dog who has easily gone months at a time without a bath and smelled just fine.

I moved into a brand new house two months ago, and bought a lovely wool area rug to put in front of the couch, under the coffee table. Harley can lay on this rug for as little as fifteen minutes, and you can start to smell the stink. I've had regular carpeting in my previous homes, and she has regularly slept on a dog bed for nearly the entire time I've had her.

Anyone have any opinions? Is it the wool? And if so, why???

jiorji
January 23rd, 2008, 03:52 PM
but...that makes no sense....:confused::shrug:

maybe it's the fabric that smells bad when it gets warm from the body heat. :shrug:

SunGurl372
January 23rd, 2008, 04:02 PM
It's not a stinky fabric smell. It smells like DAWG!

jiorji
January 23rd, 2008, 04:21 PM
is it wool as in an actual sheep skin ?

Longblades
January 23rd, 2008, 05:44 PM
Even processed wool can give off a sheepish odour if it gets wet or warm. Or, the rug may have some synthetics in the backing which are "gassing off" and your pooch's warmth is interacting and causing her to smell as well. If your house is brand new many other components might also be gassing off. It's a big problem for people with sensitivities and it even has a name, "sick building syndrome".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sick_building_syndrome

SunGurl372
January 24th, 2008, 09:23 PM
No, its not a sheepskin. Even if the rug is releasing odors, it makes Harley stink too. After awhile, the smell just becomes prevalent on her, instead of just occurring when she's on the rug. Maybe I should just pull it up for awhile and see what happens.