Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pubert's Appt. Today

Ford Girl
January 23rd, 2008, 02:49 PM
Hi! I haven't started a thread about this yet, just chatted a bit in the TJT...

Here are the details of Pubert's appt. today. For the wobbling/drunkeness issues they are going to sedate him and do xrays, an ultrsound, check joint motion and range and lubrication of his hind quarters. They think it's an injury or deteroration in his back end. :sad: They gave him this walk test while I was there and then patterned out his steps to see where and wobble takes place, and it's his back end only. I asked about inner ear - they said that affects the front legs as well as the back, right now, the wobbles in the back only.

For the toxic like symptoms that showed a few times - they didn't really have an anwer or idea since the last tests showed nothing, they are doing more blood work too. They looked in his mouth and found a huge absess on one tooth, and 2 other teeth that need attention, so along with the tests I mentioned he's getting dental work done today...pulling at least 3 teeth...:sad:

They are going to do all the tests before the dental work incase they find something that will force us to make further decisions and cancel the dental work. :sad:

They will call me when he's done his work up, before the dental work...if all goes well, I am picking him up after work, they said he will need antiinflamatories, pain killers, anti biotocs....and wet food only...

:goodvibes: Good vibes and crossed fingers :fingerscr and paws :pawprint: welcomed! Oh, my poor Mr. Kitzer! Such a grumpy little love bug. :cloud9:

(You should have seen the vet tech get the full on kung foo show! He came out of his kennel justa swinging, hissing, growling, kung foo chopping!! LOL! :laughing:)

Love4himies
January 23rd, 2008, 02:54 PM
Oh no, Pubert is not going to be happy at all. We have 12:cat::pawprint: :fingerscr and 2 human :fingerscr and here are some :goodvibes: for good measure!

allymack
January 23rd, 2008, 03:35 PM
i hope he is all right, i dont think he will like all of the tests very much. but lots of :pawprint::fingerscr:grouphug::goodvibes: sent your way from all of us here!

14+kitties
January 23rd, 2008, 03:40 PM
Poor Pubert. :sad: Poor you! Sending :goodvibes: and :grouphug: and :fingerscr for both of you.

Ford Girl
January 23rd, 2008, 03:58 PM
Thanks guys!! Incase you didn't know how cute he is...:cloud9::cloud9::cloud9:

phoozles
January 23rd, 2008, 04:08 PM
Poor Pubert! :sad:
Sending you tons of :goodvibes::goodvibes::fingerscr from me and my furry clan :grouphug: :pawprint::pawprint:

Amy P
January 23rd, 2008, 04:21 PM
Sending lots of happy wishes to you and pubert :grouphug::fingerscr

14+kitties
January 23rd, 2008, 04:24 PM
We knew how cute Pubert is but it's nice to be reminded. :D And he is a doll!!

Ford Girl
January 23rd, 2008, 04:43 PM
Update - just talked to the vet....

The blood work showed everything looks normal - kidneys, liver, heart...they are waiting on a thyroid test to come back.

The xrays showed lower back spinal compression arthritic fusion of the vertibrea (or something like that? LOL!)....no way to fix it, but it can be managed by anti-inflamatories and painkillers...for the rest of his life. I asked if taking meds such as those long term will have ill effects, he said yes - but we won't know what until we get to that...

No masses, lumps, bumps or anything else showed up in the unltra or xray.

Dental work - well, they went to extract the teeth and found that the infection and bacteria is so bad that they couldnt pull the teeth without risking further danger of toxins or infection spreading, until the infection is cleared up - so he's being put on antibiotics, back next week for the extraction.

I can pick him up tonight, we start antibiotics for his mouth and the other 2 things for his pain/back end.

What do you guys think about long term treatment for pain?

14+kitties
January 23rd, 2008, 04:46 PM
Good news on bloodwork anyway. Poor baby with teeth though.
I wish I could answer your question about long term drug use but I have no experience with that. Sorry.
Still, good news. :goodvibes:

chico2
January 23rd, 2008, 04:52 PM
Of course we remember Pubert:cat:animals are amazing creatures,Pubert has probably had terrible toothache on top of backpain,poor little guy:sad:but did not complain.
At least the teeth can be taken care of and he'll be fine.
I believe painkillers are ok if he is monitored regularly for any problems,just like Rocky and his Hyperthyroid pills.
But maybe there is an alternative to regular pain-pills??

krdahmer
January 23rd, 2008, 05:22 PM
That sounds exactly like what Fagan was diagnosed with, but he isn't showing symptoms yet, we juse happened to catch it on an xray. Hope Pubert and you find a good treatment for him :goodvibes: and man is he ever handsome. And I love the visual I got from your kung fu description!! :laughing:

hazelrunpack
January 23rd, 2008, 05:26 PM
Do they do such a thing as acupuncture on cats? If they do and you can find a therapist in the area, that might be an option--it works on some dogs with spinal problems.

Pubert's poor mouth! :eek: Ouch! :fingerscr that the infection clears up quickly so they can get those abcessed teeth taken care of!

Did the vet think the spinal fusion was the cause of his unsteadiness?

At least his blood work is good, so he's strong and healthy otherwise! :grouphug:

Ford Girl
January 23rd, 2008, 05:59 PM
Yes - the vet thought the spinal back pain was his issue for the wobbly walks he's had...he said it's like a dogs limp, cats don't usually favor or limp, but take extra steps to compensate.

In Calgary there is any treatment you could imagine for your animal...so I would imagine if there is such a thing as kitty accupuncture I could find it here.

krdahmer - he is such a little fighter, always on the defensive, ready to rumble...and purr at the same time....cuz after she got him out of his kennel, he did his pur pur tip toe circle dance for her...LOL! Just like Dazy, he gives mixed signals! LMAO! I got me some :censored:'d up critters eh?

I knew the teeth weren't good, from our appt. in June, but one was so bad - it looked so painful...ouch is right!

K, off to go get him, if I get there before 5 I can chat with the vet....will chat later with an update.

sugarcatmom
January 23rd, 2008, 06:26 PM
Acupuncture is a great suggestion. The Calgary Holistic Vet Clinic (http://www.varsityvet.com/website/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabindex=0&tabid=397) on 16th Ave. NW does acupuncture, as does the Marda Loop Vet Clinic (http://www.mardaloopvet.ca/mardaloop_alternative_therapy.htm). I'm sure there are others. There is also a vet certified in veterinary acupuncture that does house calls but I can't find her contact info at the moment (I was going to use her for my cat's OCD belly licking but never got around to it). Some more info on animal acupuncture: http://www.achancetoheal.com/animal.html

JanM
January 23rd, 2008, 06:31 PM
OMG - I had no idea Pubert was having such problems! I am so sorry to hear about his difficulty - and yours! :pray: for good health for Pubert!

growler~GateKeeper
January 23rd, 2008, 07:22 PM
Lots of :goodvibes: :fingerscr & :grouphug: for Pubert & you too.

Acupuncture or Deep Needle Therapy would be good to look into for Pubert - Duffy's homeopath had suggested it for her major deep muscle tension as well as the Kong Cat Zoom Groom (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B00009ZJ0Q/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=284507&s=kitchen) for massages as well as brushing. Duffy has no spinal/bone issues so it will be different for Pubert, but after a few weeks w/the zoom groom she didn't need the deep needle therapy. I would recommend picking up a Zoom Groom start with that while you're looking into the acupuncturists this will give him massages which will relieve tension & get him used to the sensations along the back he may get from the acupuncture.

btw Duffy also has a issue w/one of her teeth :sad: we are waiting a few more weeks to do blood work then fix the tooth - so I feel your pain :grouphug:

Jim Hall
January 23rd, 2008, 07:39 PM
ughh arthritis basically massage and heat ive had a few criiters with that keep pu warm

rainbow
January 23rd, 2008, 08:00 PM
Glad to hear that you finally got answers to Pubert's problems. Poor little guy...those teeth must hurt. :grouphug: Maybe that's why he's crabby? :o

The acupuncture sounds like a good idea. I frequently read the information on the Yahoo Orthodogs site and alot of them there recommend a homeopathic remedy for pain and inflammation called Traumeel. :shrug:

Give your handsome :lovestruck: boy hugs from me. :grouphug: And, sending lots of good wishes for his dental work surgery. :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

Frenchy
January 23rd, 2008, 08:24 PM
:sad: poor Pubert :sad: and his mom :grouphug: I can't give you any advice because I never had cat with arthritis. On another note , I know that it's easier to get the tooth out when it's infected .

I hope Pubert will be a good kitty and will let his mom give him his pills. :goodvibes:

Ford Girl
January 23rd, 2008, 08:59 PM
So we are home and ok. :grouphug: I picked him up and spoke with the vet about what he reccomends and other options, he's use to me asking about alternatives to meds, natural stuff, so I mentioned accupuncture and he cracked up and said..."um, I don't think he's a good candidate"...more laughing.."presonality wise". We both laughed. :cat::evil::laughing: But maybe with time, and healed mouth and pain meds he will be less grumpy? So it's something for sure I will look into if he improves.

We go back next Thursday for dental work, and they are waving some fees that I would have already paid for today like the exam and sedation, which is wicked!! I know my vet is a bit more expensive then others in the city, but I really like them...:shrug:

The meds he gave me were 2 weeks worth of Clindamycin for the tooth infections, 2 a day, pill form, tiny, I gave him one - I find it easy to open and pop and hold it, he swallows them pretty quick, altho today is day 1.

The long term pain med is called Metacam, it's in the form of drops, which I was happy to see, its an antiinflamatory pain medication. (something they'd use for a dog with hip or joint pain too) 4 drops a day, in food - he already had his dinner with drops, no problem, he even licked a drop off my finger...cost me $24 for 10mls, the vet said should last me a month and a half...and as it improves and we get ride of the tooth infections we can maybe drop it to 2 or 3 drops per day.

I have to wet his kibble for now, add more soft food, and document syptoms. But other wise, he ate his dinner with eagerness, and he's high as a kite right now, enjoying the pain meds :D ...staring into the back of his kennel, door's open, he's just sitting there. :laughing:

Frenchy
January 23rd, 2008, 09:23 PM
He already ate ? :thumbs up good kitty Pubert !

Ford Girl
January 23rd, 2008, 09:32 PM
He already ate ? :thumbs up good kitty Pubert !

For sure, he came home and hoped out of his kennel right to his dishes..he loves to eat, ever since I switched him from Medical, to Orijen, and now Innova Senior, with wet Merrick mixed in, he's a pig, I can't free feed anymore, have to measure and feed twice a day! :thumbs up He ate the whole serving.

He lost 4ozes tho since June? Yet, not as much puke? Another kitty mystery...:shrug: :cat:

Frenchy
January 23rd, 2008, 09:42 PM
He lost 4ozes tho since June? Yet, not as much puke? Another kitty mystery...:shrug: :cat:

But is he skinny ? Maybe it's because of his teeth ?

Ford Girl
January 23rd, 2008, 09:49 PM
But is he skinny ? Maybe it's because of his teeth ?

He's not fat. He has a pouch that hangs like an old man gut, but it's empty! LOL! I forget his actual weight, just that it was 4 ozes less then last time. He eats every kibble and every treat, I don't worry about that with him...he'd eat Dazy's food too if we let him. :clown:

hazelrunpack
January 23rd, 2008, 11:17 PM
I'm glad he's home now and feeling good enough to eat. Good kitty! :cat:

growler~GateKeeper
January 23rd, 2008, 11:27 PM
Good that he is feeling good enough to eat :highfive:

The meds he gave me were 2 weeks worth of Clindamycin for the tooth infections, 2 a day, pill form, tiny, I gave him one - I find it easy to open and pop and hold it, he swallows them pretty quick, altho today is day 1.

Great that Pubert is a fairly easy piller :thumbs up

Duffy is a pill spitter :rolleyes: & is getting pilled 2x day for supplements - over time they get used to it & don't fight it very much anymore. :goodvibes:

The weight loss is probably because there is no cr:censored:py fillers in the food :thumbs up

Lukka'sma
January 23rd, 2008, 11:55 PM
Awww Pubert must have terrible pain from those teeth, so glad he is on meds to calm that down.
I hope everything clears up and he get feeling better soon

Love4himies
January 24th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Pubert is a handsome boy :cloud9:. Pain meds can be hard on the kidneys if used long term, regular urinalysis and blood work should be done to monitor.

Glad to hear he is eating so well :thumbs up.

CearaQC
January 24th, 2008, 08:16 AM
He's not fat. He has a pouch that hangs like an old man gut, but it's empty! LOL!

Linx has that too. And I've seen it on tigers. When they run it flops from side to side. I think it comes from successive gain/lose weight. But could be wrong. :shrug:

I don't have any advice to give other than just give :goodvibes: to Pubert and hopes he gets to feeling better soon.

he's high as a kite right now, enjoying the pain meds

Awww... doped up kitty! At least he's not in pain, right?

chico2
January 24th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Great that he is an easy piller,that's half the battle with cats:cat:as you probably know.:D
I mash up Rockys in a tea-spoon of food and when he finishes that he gets the rest of the food,so far works like a charm.:fingerscr
As soon as those nasty teeth are out,I am sure he'll be back to his normal sweet self,toothache must be one of the most painful things,next to having babies:yell:(kidding!)

14+kitties
January 24th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Glad to hear Pubert is home and doing well. Too funny that staring into the back of his kennel! I can see it... :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Ford Girl
January 24th, 2008, 10:46 AM
This morning I got up and he was eagerly awaiting his breakfast, I gave him 2 tiny treats then his pill, he just ate it like it's a treat cuz he's so ready for breakfast!! :thumbs up :laughing: Then he ate all his food with the drops in it.

Last night, as the meds kicked in, he was booting around the house, faster then I have seen him go in a long time!! And he was walking like his feet were heavy, each paw kinda stomped on the floor, it was funny to watch. :laughing:

I am glad to see an improvment even over night. I just called the vet to let them know and they told me to watch for blood in the stool and vommitting cuz those are sometimes side effects of Metecam.

For now, alls good....we go next week for the dental work. Should be fun. :rolleyes:

phoozles
January 24th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Good to hear he's bounced back! :thumbs up
:goodvibes: Good luck at his dentist appt!

loopoo
January 24th, 2008, 02:05 PM
what love4himies said, i dont want to alarm... but please monitor pubert while he is on the metacam. i have heard so many mixed things about it. there are so many other good natural sources to help pain from joints, bones, one is a supplement called arthrimaxx, you can google that, or anything similar with glucosamine and such. the other is acupuncture as someone mentioned, and there are shots called adequan that have done wonders for animals that are arthritic to help mobility and pain management. Cats systems are so sensitive, and any anti-inflammatory can be very hard on them. if it were me, i would be giving half the dose, assuming the antibiotics would be taking care of any infection, and looking into natural alternatives, in place of the metacam all together :goodvibes:
hes a beautiful guy:)

rainbow
January 24th, 2008, 03:36 PM
YAY Pubert :highfive: And, you are such a good boy :angel: for being an easy piller. :D