Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

RIP Rottie

Love4himies
January 23rd, 2008, 11:02 AM
I debated with myself all morning on whether to post this, but I can't stop thinking about it.

My husbands coworker came into work on Monday with a horrible bite on his arm, my husband said it was very bad and his whole arm was bruised.

He told my husband that his rottie bit him when he tried to take his ball away from him.

Yesterday, he told my husband he had the dog put down because he was getting increasingly aggressive and uncontrollable.

What I don't know is if he ever taken his dog to a behavourist or trainer, but I feel so bad for this poor rottie who may not have been given a fair chance at life because his owners didn't know how to handle a dominate dog?:shrug: Could this dog have changed if proper training was given? Did the owners even know anything about training/socializing a dog and if not, why the hell did they get a dog?

Sorry, needed to get this off my chest.

:rip: rottie :candle:

Frenchy
January 23rd, 2008, 11:27 AM
He already had the dog put down ? :wall:

I would have started to take him to the vet , some dogs will get aggressive when in pain or sick. If no health problem , then a behavourist.

:rip: poor doggy

Love4himies
January 23rd, 2008, 11:46 AM
Yes, he had the dog put down on Monday. Said the dog was getting increasingly aggressive.

Frenchy
January 23rd, 2008, 11:49 AM
Yes, he had the dog put down on Monday. Said the dog was getting increasingly aggressive.

It could had been as simple as a thyroid problem. Very easy to treat. Some people just go for the easiest solution. :sad:

Jim Hall
January 23rd, 2008, 12:10 PM
well thats one mpore asshat for the dart board

I wonder if he yells st the boss they fire his ass for being increaslingly aggreesive

ancientgirl
January 23rd, 2008, 12:25 PM
That idiot, and that poor dog!

I can't believe he didn't at least give the dog the benefit of the doubt. Maybe he was ill, and that might have been why his behavior changed.

What a jerk. Instead of finding out if there is anything wrong with his dog to make his behavior change like that, he takes the easy way out.

He obviously didn't care one bit about him.

:rip:Rottie - Your owner didn't deserve you.

Love4himies
January 23rd, 2008, 12:27 PM
well thats one mpore asshat for the dart board

I wonder if he yells st the boss they fire his ass for being increaslingly aggreesive

He is military, so he would get more than fired if he yelled at his boss :laughing:.

want4rain
January 23rd, 2008, 12:42 PM
:candle: rest in peace my love. there are gentle hands waiting for you.

-ashley

Kristin7
January 24th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Seems like there is A LOT of speculation going on here. Does anyone know the owner and if they tried or what? If no one does really know what went on or not to try and help the dog, what is the point of this? Maybe the owner did try with the dog and nothing helped, we don't know. :shrug: I actually know someone who had to put her dog down because of aggression. The dog had sustained a head injury and although seemed ok at first, became increasingly aggressive. She was a beautiful Great Dane and her owner did try and help her but the damage was permanent. I'm sure it was painful to have to do that to her beloved animal but I can't fault her for that.

Love4himies
January 24th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Seems like there is A LOT of speculation going on here. Does anyone know the owner and if they tried or what? If no one does really know what went on or not to try and help the dog, what is the point of this? Maybe the owner did try with the dog and nothing helped, we don't know. :shrug: I actually know someone who had to put her dog down because of aggression. The dog had sustained a head injury and although seemed ok at first, became increasingly aggressive. She was a beautiful Great Dane and her owner did try and help her but the damage was permanent. I'm sure it was painful to have to do that to her beloved animal but I can't fault her for that.

You are right, as stated in my original post I didn't know if he did anything to help eliminate the aggression or if there were health issues. I still can't stop thinking about this dog and wondering if this could have been avoided. There are some breeds of dogs, don't know why, I just love to watch and rotties are one. I think they are so beautiful.

glitterless
January 24th, 2008, 08:44 PM
At least he dealt with the situation before something worse happened to another animal or human. That's more than some people do. I probably wouldn't have had my dog euthanized over a bite, but I also don't know the history of the situation.

Frenchy
January 24th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Sorry, needed to get this off my chest.

what is the point of this?

Free speech , sometimes we need to let it out.

Love4himies
January 25th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Thanks Frenchy, that was exactly my motive. I can't talk to my husband because he is of the opinion, it's his dog, he can do what he wants and it is none of my busin. I am of the opinion, that all dogs and cats have a right to a happy, well adjusted life and if you can't provide that, you have no right owning that pet. If you adopt a pet, you are responsible all that comes along with it, including proper training and socialization.

Kristin7
January 25th, 2008, 10:46 AM
I never said anything about people not being able to speak their mind and let it out. I was only wondering about why everyone (not just the OP) is so upset about something they dont' know many details at all about. I can certainly see getting upset or angry if we knew the guy did as most of the posts speculated but why get upset about something that you don't even know happened (or did not happen)? The anger is the point I was wondering about. I just pointed out we don't know any details here and the dog may have been put down for a good reason - and the OP agreed. The facts we know are the dog was aggressive and was put down, that's it. It is sad when situations like that occur, but maybe the owner was sad too, and did try to get help, train the dog, etc. who knows. I mean, we don't know if the dog wasn't trained or socialized, or that a vet wasn't consulted for possible medical issues. If you are so upset, maybe it is worth asking your husband to get more details, to rest your mind (or not)? Doesn't sound like he would though...

BAILEYSMUDGE
January 25th, 2008, 10:56 AM
This point can be debated... but, a Rottie is still dead and that is still sad.:grouphug:

Kristin7
January 25th, 2008, 11:38 AM
very true. i am sad for all the animals that get put down every day for whatever reason, Rotties and other. Far too many! Too bad people don't have to have a license or something to prove they will be and are a good devoted pet owner. sort of like a driver's license..

glitterless
January 26th, 2008, 05:09 AM
Yes, but look at all of the bad drivers on the roads...

I don't think there is a solution. We've probably been having babies longer than we've had pets, and look at the lack of parenting skills out there.

As horrible as the end of any life is, I am very thankful that many pets get a peaceful way out because unfortunately there are many that do not.

Anyway.. this is very depressing. We need a nice, heartwarming pet story right about now.

chico2
January 26th, 2008, 07:43 AM
IMO,any animal who gets a deathsentence for a possibly managable problem,is sad.:sad:
I understand how you feel L4H..:sad: