Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Wow. This puts it in perspective.

bendyfoot
January 23rd, 2008, 10:33 AM
We get our pet food from a really great shop in Ottawa that has a lot of "alternative" foods, supplements, and also is actively involved in rescue (there's usually one or two little rescue pups running around the store getting lots of socialization, and always, always, kitties needing adoption)...we love them. I was on their website today, and found this quote about the number of animals needing homes...

"To provide homes for all of the unwanted or homeless animals, every family of four in the United States would need to have approximately 8 dogs and 20 cats," says Kim Langholz, a community practice veterinarian at Iowa State University.

That is absolutely horrifying. I need 6 more dogs and 17 more cats to do my part.:sad:

I was talking to my mother last night... her brother (my uncle) is breeding his dog (unregistered)...again... mom had the gall to suggest I would want one of the puppies because they're sooooo cuuuute... and didn't understand why I was irate that he would breed his dog... even when I tried to explain about the gabillions of animals already needing homes.

Siiiiigh.

luckypenny
January 23rd, 2008, 10:44 AM
I guess they would have to see it to believe it. One of my BILs know how I feel about BYB's, and has supported any of my fundraising efforts for local shelters. However, he too is thinking about breeding his dog with a neighbor's because, "the puppies will be so cute!" :wall: This is an intelligent/professional man. I love him to death but just don't understand the 'thought process' behind wanting to breed your dog when you know about all the homeless animals in shelters :frustrated: :sad: .

danaekitty
January 23rd, 2008, 10:47 AM
It really is sad - I also find it awful that so many people insist upon a "fresh start" with a new puppy when there are so many nice dogs out there that need adoption/fostering. My bf and I are always at odds about that - I'd love to be a foster home to a string of dogs up for adoption, and he really wants the puppy.
No matter what we decide, that cats will be up in arms, I'm sure.

What breed is your brother's dog, and the dog he's breeding it with? And what did your mum say when you told her the stats you'd found?

bendyfoot
January 23rd, 2008, 11:08 AM
The dog's a golden. I'm assuming he's breeding it with another golden, as the first litter all came out looking like goldens. Not registered, though, and he's certainly NOT an experienced breeder. I doubt the dog gets medical care during/after prenancy.

My mom just got all uncomfortable and changed the subject. Wasn't willing to engage in conversation about it.

Frenchy
January 23rd, 2008, 12:29 PM
The dog's a golden.

:wall: :wall: :wall:

danaekitty
January 23rd, 2008, 12:34 PM
Just wondering, Frenchie - why the head banging:wall:? Is there something about Goldens? I'm not a dog person, but am curious about your reaction!:confused:

Frenchy
January 23rd, 2008, 12:36 PM
Just wondering, Frenchie - why the head banging:wall:? Is there something about Goldens? I'm not a dog person, but am curious about your reaction!:confused:

I'm a foster family for a golden rescue. And I own goldens too (of course :D) it saddens me to hear about this , for any breeds. :sad: