Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Wanting to make a switch - need dairy & egg free food suggestions

Kashi
January 23rd, 2008, 08:26 AM
I'm wanting to make a switch to a higher quality food for our pets.
I am *NOT* ready / willing to do a raw food diet.
Any foods must be completely free of dairy and egg - even a minute amount could kill my 5-yr old son

I'll tell you all a bit about our animals, what they are currently eating, and what our requirements are for a food.

Our cat - Butterscotch (~8 yrs old, domestic medium hair tabby, female) is currently eating Iams "Indoor" cat kibble. She seems to enjoy it, and it does not upset her stomach like some other kinds have.
She cannot handle salmon - it gives her the runs.
She is quite prone to hairballs, even with weekly brushing.

Our dog - Pugsley (~8 months old, pug/beagle mix, male) is currently eating Iams Healthy Naturals. His previous owner was feeding him Iams Mini Chunks.

We do want to stay with a dry food at this point, I am not ready or willing to do a raw food / BARF diet for my animals. Maybe down the road, but not now.

I mostly have access to the "big" chain pet stores - PetSmart, Petcetera, PetValue, places like that.

I have seen one brand that I'm interested in learning more about - I believe it's called "By Nature".

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

want4rain
January 23rd, 2008, 09:00 AM
i know you say you arent ready for raw but understand its the best way to ensure these substances to not enter your home.

otherwise, find a food you are comfortable with and call the manufacturer to make sure they do not process dairy or egg products in the plant and can guarantee that in writing.

others who know the different kibbles better than i do shoudl ahve some good suggestions. :)

-ashley

mika140
January 23rd, 2008, 09:40 AM
Welcome to the forum :)

I looked up the Iams Healthy Naturals because I was surprised it didn't included egg.....but it does show "dried egg product" as an ingredient. Just making sure you're aware of this for the time being, until you make a switch.

I've used the Solid Gold products in the past and my dog has done very well on them. I think some Petco's carry them now. I found them when I was trying to avoid egg, so I know they have at least several dry kibbles that do not contain egg or egg products. Of course, like want4rain typed, you'd need to email the company to find out whether any other products in their facility are made with egg. Solid Gold's nutritionist has been very helpful to me though....and quick responses through email.

http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/products/showcat.php?cat=0

Otherwise By Nature and Natural Balance are the only ones that come to mind at large chain stores that would have egg and dairy free products. Even then, I'd definitely check with the companies, since I'm not sure who makes their products and there is probably egg in other products of theirs.

Purpledomino
January 23rd, 2008, 10:31 AM
The "California Naturals" line of dog and cat food by the Natura company carries egg and dairy free dry foods as well. The idea behind this food is that the ingredient list is intentionally small and basic, to cater to animals with food sensitivies/allergies. You may have a harder time finding it, as it's only carried in the smaller independant holistic stores, but you generally find the better foods there anyway. You can do a search from their website to find dealers in your area, or check out your yellow pages under pet foods.

The important thing for you would be to READ the ingredient labels, if your son is as allergic as it sounds....I would think that any egg product no matter how it is manufactured, could be devastating. I wouldn't want to take the chance as I'm sure you wouldn't. As Mika140 suggested, email the company to make sure. Good luck with your search!

www.naturapet.com

sugarcatmom
January 23rd, 2008, 11:09 AM
I'm wanting to make a switch to a higher quality food for our pets.

Our cat - Butterscotch (~8 yrs old, domestic medium hair tabby, female) is currently eating Iams "Indoor" cat kibble. She seems to enjoy it, and it does not upset her stomach like some other kinds have.
She cannot handle salmon - it gives her the runs.
She is quite prone to hairballs, even with weekly brushing.

We do want to stay with a dry food at this point, I am not ready or willing to do a raw food / BARF diet for my animals. Maybe down the road, but not now.

I'll focus on your cat, since that's my area of 'expertise'. I can understand not wanting to go the raw route for now, but how about canned? Dry food, no matter what the brand or ingredients, is really not a great choice. Cats need water with their food since they evolved in the desert and have a correspondingly low urge to drink. Feeding only kibble to a cat can result in a number of medical issues down the road (kidneys being hugely affected by this chronic dehydration). Please consider adding (or better yet, feeding entirely) some canned food. The By Nature Organics (http://www.bynaturepetfoods.com/productpages/organiccannedcat.php#ttl) line is a good choice, if Butterscotch likes it, but it is very high in phosphorus so I prefer to feed it intermittently with something like Wellness (http://www.omhpet.com/wellness/cat_wellness_can_index.html). Neither have dairy or egg. Some of the gluten-free Fancy Feast flavours might also be an okay choice for transitioning to something better (lots of cats seem to like FF).

Kashi
January 23rd, 2008, 01:36 PM
This is the first I've heard of kibble being inherently bad for cats - aside from the low quality ones that is. I will look more into that, but I admit I'm not keen on tinned foods. It's a personal thing - they stink !

phoozles
January 23rd, 2008, 03:46 PM
I felt the same way as you did - canned food is smelly, it can :yuck: get on your hands, and dry is WAY easier.

Plus I had a vet tell me years back that wet food wasn't good for them (can't remember the reasoning now, but it seemed to make sense at the time).

But now there is outstanding evidence that proves the contrary - wet food makes the most sense, and to be honest with you - I've been giving only canned food to my cats for 3 or 4 months now, and not only have I seen a great difference in my cats' health, it's really not as bad as you think. If you don't get your nose right in there, it doesn't smell that bad (I find the better quality brands, like Wellness, don't smell as much as the others), and it's easier to divide into separate meals.

Of course, take that with a grain of salt - I've had sinus surgery twice, and my sniffer isn't what it used to be :D

phoozles
January 23rd, 2008, 03:47 PM
Oh, and if you want to do some research on wet food vs. dry, check out this website http://www.catinfo.org .

I'm surprised sugarcatmom didn't throw it in there - she's got it on speedtype! ;) :laughing:

Kashi
January 24th, 2008, 08:03 AM
I felt the same way as you did - canned food is smelly, it can :yuck: get on your hands, and dry is WAY easier.

Plus I had a vet tell me years back that wet food wasn't good for them (can't remember the reasoning now, but it seemed to make sense at the time).

But now there is outstanding evidence that proves the contrary - wet food makes the most sense, and to be honest with you - I've been giving only canned food to my cats for 3 or 4 months now, and not only have I seen a great difference in my cats' health, it's really not as bad as you think. If you don't get your nose right in there, it doesn't smell that bad (I find the better quality brands, like Wellness, don't smell as much as the others), and it's easier to divide into separate meals.

Of course, take that with a grain of salt - I've had sinus surgery twice, and my sniffer isn't what it used to be :D

I'd heard, read or been told the same thing years ago - that tinned food was not 'good' for cats.

Ugh - I'm *so* confused about the whole food thing right now.

Kashi
January 24th, 2008, 08:05 AM
Oh, and if you want to do some research on wet food vs. dry, check out this website http://www.catinfo.org .

I'm surprised sugarcatmom didn't throw it in there - she's got it on speedtype! ;) :laughing:

Going to check the link out now - thanks.

Love4himies
January 24th, 2008, 09:06 AM
Kibble is not good for cats because they do not have a high thirst drive as dogs do. This leaves a cat chronically dehydrated. Not urinating regularly leaves the urine inside the kidneys and bladder allowing crystals to grow leading to blockages and infections. Best way to keep your cat's urinary tract healthy is by getting them to flush it out. It also flushes out toxins that you want out of the body as soon as possible.

Also years ago it was thought kibble was better for animals because it cleaned their teeth, evidence now shows that is not true. Raw bones will keep your pets teeth healthy.

My cats eat both canned (Wellness grain free and Go Natural) and kibble (Orijen), canned being their main source of food, kibble is a treat. I actually add water to their canned to ensure they are getting enough. Puddles has had problems with bladder infections in the past.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=1&cat=1402&articleid=2729

Kashi
January 24th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Kibble is not good for cats because they do not have a high thirst drive as dogs do. This leaves a cat chronically dehydrated. Not urinating regularly leaves the urine inside the kidneys and bladder allowing crystals to grow leading to blockages and infections. Best way to keep your cat's urinary tract healthy is by getting them to flush it out. It also flushes out toxins that you want out of the body as soon as possible.

Also years ago it was thought kibble was better for animals because it cleaned their teeth, evidence now shows that is not true. Raw bones will keep your pets teeth healthy.

My cats eat both canned (Wellness grain free and Go Natural) and kibble (Orijen), canned being their main source of food, kibble is a treat. I actually add water to their canned to ensure they are getting enough. Puddles has had problems with bladder infections in the past.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=1&cat=1402&articleid=2729

Very interesting stuff. Thank you.