Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Because my life needs more craziness... (long)

Gibbons
January 22nd, 2008, 09:04 PM
Sorry about the length of this- I can NEVER make anything short and sweet.

So my husband and I (and our roommates) have been planning on getting a puppy for about 6 months now. Due to my inability to decide on anything, and my desire to be SURE I was making the right decision, we still don't have a puppy.

After spending months researching breeds - all we knew in the beginning is we wanted a medium to large dog- I am no closer to having any idea on how to decide on which breed. I like shepherds, labs, collies, huskies, goldens, etc . I've researched the pros and cons of each breed, analyzed our lifestyle (active, like to be outdoors, love to go for long walks and go camping, swimming, biking, etc and want a dog that can travel well- so large breed works for us), our likes and dislikes, etc and STILL can't decide on a dog.

While we couldn't decide on a dog we did figure out: training methods, found a trainer in Ottawa we liked, looked into dog parks in the area, play dates, friends we have with dogs, vets we like, costs for food, toys and vet care, whether to feed raw or kibble (raw, says I- hubby says "eww, that's gross"), have a crate on hold with a friend, and I have read almost every post on this forum! Hubby, roommates and I all grew up with dogs. I'm also walking dogs at the shelter to give me a better idea of what I'm getting into AND we're now fostering 2 dogs so we're 100% sure and going into this eyes-wide-open.

So! Long and short, we've decided we'll skip getting a pure-bred dog from a good breeder (tips on this forum for finding a breeder are hugely valuable) and go rescue a mixed-breed pup. I put in an application before we got our fosters with a rescue in Quebec, excepting to hear back in a few weeks. I got a call today - they got my application, it was one of the best they've seen in a long time, and did I want to come in and have a look at any of their dogs up for adoption?

Obviously, my answer was no (dog walking at the shelter, 2 fosters, a jealous cat, a new husband, a full time job, AND a puppy?) But they said to give them a call whenever I'm ready, I am pre-approved. Sounds sort of like I'm getting a credit card.. but that's what she said!

I'm pretty excited. I'm also a LITTLE bit sad because they had the most adorable pup listed on petfinder - I'm thinking it's a golden/shepherd cross? I doubt he'll be around for the next few months as he is just TOO adorable (I posted a picture, just to torture myself :rolleyes: )

Only question- what should I look for in a rescue? I'm assuming the picking a puppy thing is similar to picking a puppy anywhere else - check health, aggression, interest level, friendliness, etc - and think with your head not JUST your heart (I'm a sucker for a sob story, so I'll need to be careful there). But for the rescue - anything I should watch out for? How do I know they're ACTUALLY a rescue, and not some weird version of puppy mill pretending to be a rescue?

Frenchy
January 22nd, 2008, 09:12 PM
:laughing: we actually know these puppies :laughing:

They're with Rosie right ? :D

I hope I'm not mistaking , but there's a couple of posts here about them , the pups I mean :D

luckypenny
January 22nd, 2008, 09:18 PM
Are there no dogs at the shelter you'd like to adopt? How about the ones your fostering?

the gang
January 22nd, 2008, 09:59 PM
maby you might think of a x racer grey hound brenda and the pins.

Gibbons
January 22nd, 2008, 11:00 PM
There are dogs EVERYWHERE I'd like to adopt- that's part of the problem. I want to take everyone home! Hubby is saying I need to stop looking at rescues/ SPCA's/ whatever because I keep coming and saying - "we could just foster this one, right..?" or "It won't hurt to have TWO dogs, will it?"

Frenchy- yes, they're from Rosie. I just think they're adorable.

We aren't looking into adopting our fosters because we are currently more active then they are- they get tired out long before we do, and aren't doing so well in the cold and hubby loves to do cold-weather-sport-related-things. Again the problem with the greyhound- cold. It's cold here. I love them (all of them!) but... really, I was just commenting on how I like them and think that pup is cute :P

rainbow
January 22nd, 2008, 11:32 PM
I like shepherds, labs, collies, huskies, goldens, etc . I've researched the pros and cons of each breed, analyzed our lifestyle (active, like to be outdoors, love to go for long walks and go camping, swimming, biking, etc and want a dog that can travel well

I would advise against getting a Siberian Husky as they do not do well off leash because of their extreme desire to run.

happycats
January 23rd, 2008, 06:28 AM
OMG I think I know that little butterball!!:) The mother is just beautiful, and sweet, and the foster mother did an excellent job, that pup should be healthy and happy!!!

chico2
January 23rd, 2008, 07:17 AM
OMG,it's one of"our"puppies,I am surprised he's still at Rosies,he's adorable :lovestruck:

Love4himies
January 23rd, 2008, 07:53 AM
Yup, the foster momma of this puppy did a great job, and was born in Gaspe so should be able to handle Ottawa's winter ;).

jessi76
January 23rd, 2008, 08:04 AM
I'm assuming the picking a puppy thing is similar to picking a puppy anywhere else - check health, aggression, interest level, friendliness, etc - and think with your head not JUST your heart (I'm a sucker for a sob story, so I'll need to be careful there).

don't forget to let the pup pick YOU. it's easy to go and pick out a puppy, but when it's truly meant to last, a pup will pick YOU. when I went to see the last 3 pups of a litter at a local shelter, they let us play in a room with all 3... it was VERY CLEAR that one in particular wanted to be with us. that's the one we took home, and it's like he was meant to be in our family. he fit perfectly. so my only advice is to watch the pups signals carefully, and be sure the "picking" is mutual.

btw - that pup is precious!

Kristin7
January 23rd, 2008, 08:36 AM
very true about letting the pup pick you... I was at the shelter last week and although I don't want a puppy, went to look, and there was a litter of 7 cuties, probably border collie and/or aussie mixes, which I love. One of them totally had her eye on me and I admit it was very hard to resist walking out of there, and I thought about her all weekend... (she's gone now). If I had been looking for a puppy, I probably would have taken her, though. I think you will know when you meet the right dog or puppy. It takes me awhile to find the perfect animal when I am looking...(though not as long as you! :D) I go back several times to visit with the same animal and more often than not, while I'm trying to decide, the animal gets adopted by someone else. Sometimes that is disappointing, but then I like to think of that as fate and I'll end up with the right one eventually. If you go on looking for a long time, though, you might do some reflection, it may be that you really don't want a dog?

Gibbons
January 23rd, 2008, 03:10 PM
Mostly, I just wanted to pick the right breed for us BECAUSE I'm such a softie when it comes to animals and could easily bring home a dog that doesn't fit our lifestyle because it needs me. I'm also really horrified by the number of animals for "free" listed on line and the number of animals in shelters and rescues, and I want to do everything possible to prevent that.

Definitely not getting a husky because of the wanderlust - I've done my research ;) I still like them, though!

We'd also been putting off getting a puppy because I was waiting until my vacation time at work kicked in (I just switched jobs recently, 3 mo. probation) so I can take a week or so off to help the new dog adjust. My probation ended on Monday, so now we're just waiting for our fosters to find their forever homes, and however long that takes is OK with me. I like having them around.

I'm VERY surprised that the pup is still listed as adoptable- I thought someone would snatch up something that cute ASAP.

Gibbons
January 23rd, 2008, 03:14 PM
Also, on the topic of letting the dog pick you- that's how my parents got their current dog. He definitely picked them, and he is the best fit imaginable. They've never been so happy with a pet as they are with him.

I would definitely let the dog pick me... You can just pick a friend based on the fact that you happen to like them- it has to be mutual or no one will be happy!

bendyfoot
January 23rd, 2008, 03:24 PM
Both our dogs picked us... (well, Gracie picked Kim and was stuck with me:D)

Jaida just sat and stared and stared at us while her littermates ran around and squirmed...we both knew it was a done deal immediately.

Both: perfect fits for our family

Ford Girl
January 23rd, 2008, 03:27 PM
If you are looking for a high energy, cold weather tolerant, obediant, good off leash, affectionate, loving...etc...I say go for the gold. :lovestruck:

We do lots of camping and outdoor activities which is why we chose a golden. Warning tho - careful what you wish for, high energy is great when you feel like being active, but on the days you don't, you still have to exercise the dog...we do 1 - 2 hours a day with our golden, actual exercise, not snuggle time or back yard ball playing but real exercise. Large breed high energy dogs also require training and structure so they don't destroy your house or yard.

The pup you posted, the moms a beautiful golden. :cloud9::cloud9::cloud9:

CearaQC
January 23rd, 2008, 04:31 PM
That's one of Belle's puppies!

:D

Recognize that face anywhere.

All the pups from Belle are excellent fuzzbutts. That one there really loved hauling around the stuffed mallard. Loves to play play play and not an aggressive bone in his body.

Long story about her. We adopted her already pregnant and had only a week with her before she popped out 10 pups. I spent 24/7 with them for 2 months.

No, we aren't back yard breeders. It was all part of a rescue effort. Those pups are a one-time deal.

Gibbons
January 23rd, 2008, 05:07 PM
After reading the post about how everyone in the states would need 8 dogs and 20 cats so all homeless animals had homes- I don't know how anyone could ever pay a backyard breeder or a petstore (ugh! Pet stores!) for a pet. My heart says rescue is the way to go for any additional animals we add to our family.

If my situation was less crazy right now (I don't think it's fair to tango and schroder to introduce a puppy into the house... but maybe they'd like it? I don't know) you'd bet I'd be on my way to the rescue to visit the pups there and see if any of them want to come home with me. Particularly the one I posted the picture of.

Blah, now I'm reconsidering my decision NOT to have three dogs in the house at once! Lol!

Frenchy
January 23rd, 2008, 08:37 PM
Blah, now I'm reconsidering my decision NOT to have three dogs in the house at once! Lol!

Well good for you for knowing your limits ! Give it time , see what happens with the fosters. They will always be puppies at humane societies and rescues , so when the time is right , you will fine one just for you :thumbs up