Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Worried about Kiska and her mammary glands

ancientgirl
January 22nd, 2008, 06:37 PM
I noticed a couple of days ago Kiska's mammary glands are slightly puffy. She was spayed during the Christmas holidays, and I asked the vet yesterday if it's normal for them to swell after being spayed.

She told me she's never seen that happen, but to bring her in when I brought Oksana for her Junior Wellness exam. That's in February, and I don't want to wait that long.

I made an appointment for her to be seen tomorrow, but in the meantime, has this ever happened to anyone out there?

I'm hoping it IS something normal that happens to some kitties, because now I'm really worried.

She's eating well, using the litter box, playing and when I touch them she's not complaining so she's not in any pain.

krdahmer
January 23rd, 2008, 01:21 AM
I've noticed that two of Askers are larger than the rest and my Windy has two that are inverted.... Niether seem to bother them, and they look fine so I don't worry about it, I do however watch for any changes. I'm sure it won't be any big deal, maybe just something hormonal going on after the spay. :goodvibes: for Kiska!

ancientgirl
January 23rd, 2008, 12:04 PM
I figured it might be hormonal too, but just to ease my mind, I'm taking her to the vet at 3:00 today. I'll keep a watch of her too, and hopefully I'm worrying for nothing.

babykitten
March 1st, 2008, 05:28 PM
i know when those glands swell infection normally .they try to protect the body

Love4himies
March 1st, 2008, 05:44 PM
I have had only two female cats, Sweet Pea and Puddles and have never had that happen. I agree with you, I would bring her in as soon as you can.

Sending some :goodvibes: and keeping 12 :cat::pawprint: crossed and my :fingerscr that it is just a normal thing going on.

rainbow
March 1st, 2008, 05:50 PM
Ancientgirl, you never told us the outcome.....do you have an update?

ancientgirl
March 1st, 2008, 06:01 PM
Sorry guys, I must have posted the outcome in another thread.

I wound up taking her along when I had to do Oksana's wellness exam (which her tests all came back negative for anything) and had the doctor look at her.

Her swelling had gone down. The vet told me that what happened doesn't happen often, but now and then it does happen just after the girls are spayed.

Thanks for all of your concern. She's back to her old sweet perfect self:D

rainbow
March 1st, 2008, 06:49 PM
Glad to hear all is well. :thumbs up