Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Seperation anx..

heidiho
June 10th, 2004, 11:46 AM
Leaving your dog As the pack leader you have the right to come and go as you please, be it from your property, car, or leaving your dog eg outside a shop. Do not make a fuss over the dog before leaving it or on returning home, ignore for 10 to 15 minutes. This does a couple of things, first it exerts you as pack leader and secondly it aids in helping a dog to not get separation anxiety which is very common in German Shepherds.
ere they do get it... I knew i read somewhere gsd's do get sa.....

sammiec
June 10th, 2004, 11:51 AM
nobody said they didn't get it. I can't remebr who made the comment, but all that was said was that SA is not breed specfic.

heidiho
June 10th, 2004, 11:54 AM
I didnt say anybody did,i just said i new i read it somewhere it IS common with gsd's...

mona_b
June 10th, 2004, 01:45 PM
Actually it was me who said that sammie.. :D ..I did say it was not breed specific.

Damien does not have it....

What he did is classified as destructive behaviour.

And as I have said,I have NEVER had a GSD that had it.

sammiec
June 10th, 2004, 01:56 PM
Seperation Anxiety is when you leave and your dog has a fit.. it goes nuts crying, scratching, howling, peeing, pooping, chewing, etc...correct me if I am wrong.. just an outline of the "symptoms"
what damien has is puppy bordem.... when dogs are alone they entertain themselves with stuff that smells like their owners....and your couch smells like you, so he chews it. Just because people come on the board and say that it's wrong to have your dog locked up all day doesn't mean that you should risk leaving him out and let him get into things. He could eat a plant, household cleaning products and even other dangerous products that you might not even think about.
Being a responsible pet owner means if you can't be with your pet that you protect them the best that you can. Many people have said that this should be done is smaller time periods and that you should first work on seperating a section of the house... do that first.... or the couch might be gone when you come home the next time.... I'm sure this has been suggested MANY times, get a baby gate use one room (a tile floor) and gate that off. DO NOT use a room with a door - the dog will feel trapped and become even more upset - scratch the door or destroy it....we are trying to help you, giving you all this SIMPLE and CHEAP advice!!

heidiho
June 10th, 2004, 01:57 PM
Well arent YOU lucky,your dogs have never seemed to do anything wrong,yes he does bark when i leave,so for you to say he does not have sa,i would like to know how you can diagnos my dog.Please dont answer,it was just a statement,and since your dogs seem to have never done anything wrong it is fascinating that you can diagnos mine...........

heidiho
June 10th, 2004, 01:59 PM
Samiec I Know,i Said That Was A Bad Choice I Made,i Did Leave Him Alone A Few Times For About 45 Minutes.......i Know That Was Dumb To Leave Him In The Whole Apt............ I Am Not Gonna Argue Again With You Guys........

sammiec
June 10th, 2004, 02:05 PM
I've had stuff chewed too, that's the life of having a puppy. The frustrating thing is that BEFORE you left him out everyone had suggested that you try one room and that you try little amounts of time.... even though many of us would like to think so, we don't have perfect pets... we asked for advice and followed it, therefore we have less trouble. Some people here have more expierence than others, that's why we come here to ask questions and share.... No one is arguing, but you fuel the fire girl!! You write a thread to tell everyone how he chewed the couch, what do you expect...

Just because he barks at the door when you leave doesn't mean it's SA. My dog barks at the door and scratches for like a minute, then goes about her business...

heidiho
June 10th, 2004, 02:33 PM
And just because he chewed the couch doesnt mean it is destructive behavior issues either,you know, i know when someone is being a little snotty to me,so no i dont fuel the fire i am just not gonna let people talk to me like that............

Goldenmom
June 10th, 2004, 02:37 PM
Give me a break. This is a PUP, 5-months old! They chew, simple as that. I have 2 Goldens and a rescue Lab in my house right now. My goldens have chewed since day one and if you talk to any Golden owner, its the same thing. Some pups chew, some don't. To look more deeply into the cause of this, is a waste of time. Its a pup and pups do this. They have to be confined until they can be trusted. I have a 3-yr old that still chews the odd thing. In my house, we can leave Kongs, nylabones, etc.... out for them to occupy themselves, but they still go for what is ours and not theirs. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes not. Chewing is not breed specific and it can happen to any pup or dog. In the case of separation anxienty, it can be severe or on the other end of the spectrum, very subtle. Heidi, can you not look into taking Damien to the rescue farm each day? Maybe she will give you a good price by the week?

Heather

sammiec
June 10th, 2004, 02:41 PM
What he did is classified as destructive behaviour.

destructive behaviour is not a defect in training or the breed or anything like that. It's simply when he gets board, he finds stuff to chew. That's any reaction of a board dog, not just yours.

That's why it was suggested that you SLOWLY move into giving the hole place and use a baby gate. No one knows exactly what is goig to happen when they are not around, nor do you have the ability to stop it when you're not there... the only way that you prevent it is to corner off a room, but you already know that.....

heidiho
June 10th, 2004, 02:45 PM
I met the pet sitter last night,di not really care for them,he is at my frineds house with her doberman right now.I would love to take him to the rescue place during the week,but she lives wayyyyyyy out in the desert at least a 45 minute drive and that is without the rush hour traffic...I know he is just a pup and that was dumb on my part,oh well.....Taking him to the rescue place sat to hang out and play.He is just to young to have run of apt. right now,i should have known better....

trescanis
June 10th, 2004, 02:46 PM
"separation anxiety which is very common in German Shepherds."

I've been around GSD's most of my adult life and have NEVER heard that! I belong to my local breed club and the parent club, have been kennel manager at a major breeder of conformation GSD's, watched this magnificent breed in almost every "sport" it has participated in. Trust me, the above statement is fluff.

Seperation Anxiety should only be diagnosed by a veterinarian or behaviourist EXPERIENCED in separation anxiety.

If your dog is chewing couches etc when you leave, yes he is showing destructive behavior issues. Do you have special "thinking" toys /games you leave for him when you are gone? And only gets at that time?

heidiho
June 10th, 2004, 02:49 PM
OK!! Whatever it came off of a very good website,but i guess there wrong,no he just had his regular toys,gonna go get another kong and stuff friday,when i am at work and if he is home he will just get kitchen like i should of done in the first place....Being a puppy and all i consider what he did just part of being a puppy for now.....

Lucky Rescue
June 10th, 2004, 03:07 PM
A puppy who chews things when left alone is normal. Two terms being thrown around way too much are "separation anxiety", and "dominance."

GSDs are no more likely to have SA than any other dog, and chewing stuff is not necessarily a sign of it. Sammiec is right - the signs are extreme, and some dogs will injure themselves in their panic, eat through doors, jump out windows, etc.

Goldenmom
June 10th, 2004, 03:15 PM
I met the pet sitter last night,di not really care for them..

Heidi, go with your gut instinct, plain and simple. Keep looking!

Heather

mona_b
June 10th, 2004, 03:28 PM
I was NOT being snotty..But now I just may have to.

No my dogs have never done anything wrong...Why?Cause of the way they were raised and trained...They were NOT caged up for 8 flippin hours when pups.And went without food for that length of time.You know nothing about this breed what so ever...I have been very patient with you..

And YES,what he did whas your fault.Why?Cause you didn't listen to what I suggested 3 weeks ago.

YES,he is showing destructive behaviour........Look it up.

And YES i am going to answer your question about SA...I know what it is.I do know people who have gone through this.And have seen it.

DAMIEN is showng destructive behaviour...

sammie is definately right.Just because he is barking does not mean he has it..

It's about time another knowledgeable GSD owner came on here....... :D

heidiho
June 10th, 2004, 03:28 PM
I am,like i wrote you,my friend just turned one of her bedrooms into a playroom for her dog,so he is there today...I would of been bringing him there sooner but it is way to hot here to keep him outside.... :p

sammiec
June 10th, 2004, 03:34 PM
I don't know if you read these posts that the rest of us waste our time on, but please make sure that the door is not closed in that "playroom" you guys will be begging for biger problems...and if this is the friend with the doberman, are you sure that you wanna leave these two dogs in a room together all day unsupervised... sounds like a receipt for disaster to me....

Mona dear, please don't waste that fiesty attitude of yours in this thread. YOu should visit that puppy mill place that Luba has written about LOL!!!

mona_b
June 10th, 2004, 03:38 PM
OK,I really need to ask something.

Why is it Damien is only with the friend with the Doberman?

Damien should be out there socializing with other pups and dogs.

Okie Dokie sammie.... :D ...I'm on my wat there.... ;)

heidiho
June 10th, 2004, 03:42 PM
Yeah please do me a favor and dont answer my posts........I dont care for your attitudes or opinions............

heidiho
June 10th, 2004, 03:48 PM
Oh my god,damien has met a thousand dogs i take him everywhere i go,he is going to the rescue place sat. to play with her 15 dogs.Damien is very well socialized,i cant get his whole everyday life story on here,he played with upstairs neighbor dog last night,where ever i go he goes,except work....Yes he has been with her dog before alone,i didnt just shove them in a room together,my god is anything anyone [or just me] good enough for you guys,this is not a perfect world,and i do a great job with my PUPPY..........So you dont like me,QUIT answering my questions,and yes Mona you do have a bit of sarcasim in your replys,i am not a moron like you seem to think............

mona_b
June 10th, 2004, 03:52 PM
My attitude??????????

Listen,if anyone has an attitude,it's you.You have done nothing but mouthed off to a few people on here....You have pm'd me numerous times asking for help and advice...Which I have given you.BUT you just blew it all by.I have been one of the calms ones to help you out....YOU took what I said as to be snotty..And I wasn't.But it was that comment that made me come back and be snotty.You don't listen to what anyone says when things are suggested to you.

You have been acting like a spoiled brat.

What the hell is up your butt?

heidiho,I wouldn't be surprised if no one answered any of your posts.

What happened to your GSD site?

sammiec
June 10th, 2004, 03:54 PM
I don't think it's fair to tell someone not to offer you FREE advice, that is what you're here for. Mona is only trying to help you out, as are the rest of us.
You're thick, you don't listen to anything that people are suggesting, weither with sarcasim or not!! Frankly I think you're just getting rude! You can sit here and "chastize" everyone for being the very best pet owners that never have problems with LOADS of sarcasim. Kinda like the pot calling the kettle back don't you think.
I honestly don't think you give 2 poops what people say, I don't think you read these damn things in full anyway, you get to the part where you don't like something someone wrote and don't read the rest. AND if you do read it, you forget as soon as you hit reply.

Bill & Bob
June 10th, 2004, 03:54 PM
I don't care for the fact that you're still around here. I don't care to trudge through your inane posts for hours on end.

I bet the fact you can't post more than once every thirty seconds must bother you eh?

I think that's pretty brutal that you become a jerk to Mona, who in my opinion has been the most patient person on this website to you. She's given you advice in the past when others including myself were just tired of hearing you. You're like a broken record.

And yes you are a moron.

Lucky Rescue
June 10th, 2004, 03:58 PM
Mona is very experienced with, and knowledgeable about, this breed. You are lucky to get her input and wonderful advice, even though you aren't taking it. I see no sarcasm in her posts.

This thread is not going to turn into another 3 page rant. Heidi, I suggest you lose the belligerent and combative attitude. If you do not want the advice of someone who is very savvy with the breed, then I don't know why you ask questions....?

When I first got my pit bull, I asked many questions of long time owners. I figured they knew more than I did and I took their advice seriously and was glad to get it. If I asked a question and didn't particularly like the answer that was too bad - for me.
Posting on a public board gives anyone the right to comment on what they read, and to give opinions, so stop telling people not to answer you.

The End. :D

heidiho
June 10th, 2004, 03:59 PM
See this is my point,dont get on my thread if you dont like me.Mona has been patient with me,well good for Mona,if i bother you and her so much then why do you insist on writing these things that you know will piss me off and keep me going,if you see my name on a post,dont open it...I think you are some guy with no life..........Thanks,good day from moron................

Bill & Bob
June 10th, 2004, 04:00 PM
LR, you are nothing if not eloquent...Thanks. I was about to rant again, and I think I'd just end up being rude.

sammiec
June 10th, 2004, 04:01 PM
Listen!! Do you read what you type!!! I've been here 1/3 the amount of time that Mona has and I'm sick of your crap too!! People start telling you things INSTEAD of giving opinions when they've told you 500 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 times over and over. All your posts start out nice and we all give you the benefit of the doubt and try again, then back to the circles!!! You need to get lost in that desert.
Get a friggin grip. Go bother another board, like the GSD board, and LEARN something about your dog!!

sammiec
June 10th, 2004, 04:03 PM
too bad I didn't get to see LR's post before I posted LMAO!! You're so pleasant!!!

heidiho
June 10th, 2004, 04:03 PM
I do see sarcasm sorry if you dont....That is fine mona knows alot about the breed that is great,does not mean every dog is gonna be the same...And does not mean she is always right because her dogs never did a thing wrong,well then i would rather someone answer that has had this problem with there dog....I will say it again i am not here to argue,but it seems everyone has to jump on the bandwagon and join in and be a smart a%^& to me,well i dont have to just sit here and let a bill be rude to me...........

Goldenmom
June 10th, 2004, 04:05 PM
Heidi, you can PM me anytime you like. Heidi is trying to find an alternative to having her pup at home. As you all know, its not easy raising a pup, I don't care what breed it is. Destructive behaviour? Yes, of course, he is a large breed pup and it is very common. She didn't know that would happen, it did and she learned. I would hate to list everything I did wrong with my pups when I was a first time pup owner. You were all telling her to let him have the run of the house etc. This is what she did and look what happened. You never know what will happen until you try it. Live and learn.

As for her socializing Damien. It is obvious that he is socialized. When people work all day, their dogs cannot get out during the day and socialize with every dog around. My dogs only socialize at nightime and weekends. They are very well socialized and great dogs. SHe was very lucky to be able to take Damien over to her friends house for the day. Everyone looks for bad in this situation, no matter what she posts. You all analyze it and pick it apart.

Last I will say....
Heidi is taking steps to rectify this situation with Damien by himself for 8 hours a day. It can't be done overnight, obviously, and she has already realized there are good and bad people that look after animals. This rescue shelter that she goes to sounds like an awesome place and good for Damien.

Heather

heidiho
June 10th, 2004, 04:06 PM
Like i said if you dont like me and i bother you so much why do you keep writing here,you go away to another thread i will not...............

Lucky Rescue
June 10th, 2004, 04:11 PM
That is fine mona knows alot about the breed that is great,does not mean every dog is gonna be the same

Of course not every dog is the same, but Mona has raised these dogs from puppyhood to adulthood, and you should be glad to benefit from her experience and advice that she so kindly takes the time to offer you.

I think you are some guy with no life..........

Who are you referring to with that comment?

Bill & Bob
June 10th, 2004, 04:12 PM
I've got no life? That's rich. At least I don't involve myself all day long on a message board where it should be obvious that almost everyone can't stand me, at my obviously going nowhere job because you seem to have nothing else to do. Don't be discouraged though. There will always be others with bigger hearts than mine that will continue to show you compassion where I won't. You just keep trying as I know you will.

Why do I write things that I know will piss you off? Actually I couldn't care less if I piss you off at all. I'm just summarizing what I tend to think alot of others are saying. Why do I do it? Because I do it well, that's why. The fact that you say "keep me going" tells me that at least you are slowly recognizing your own poor etiquette. Self analysis is important. Good on you for recognizing that. Again, you've even recognized you're a moron. Here have a treat.

Bill & Bob
June 10th, 2004, 04:13 PM
Oh it's me she's referring to LR.

heidiho
June 10th, 2004, 04:18 PM
Yeah it is you,and now the more i know you dont like me,the more that makes me want to stay...LR i am sorry if you dont see the little comments people say,but then other people have to join in and get me going also,so i am NOT the only one here fueling this fire....................I see no reason why i will leave,at least i see one person out there who sees what i am saying,thank you,GOLDENMOM.......Cause no matter what i do ,it is never right,i will never make certain people happy here,and i am not trying to,i am an awesome mother to my dog,if you could meet him you would see it........................Go ahead lay it on me i am ready..................

mona_b
June 10th, 2004, 04:21 PM
Heather,first off we did not tell her to let him have the run of the apt...I suggested to her that when she was home,leave for about 15-20 mins,come back in,and see how he was for that time.I also said that after a while of this,go a bit longer.The reason I suggested this is because this is what I did.So I wanted her to try it.It was suggested about 3 weeks ago.And when and how long did she do this.This past weekend.

Also,as for the socializing,I'm not saying she isn't doing this.But damien only seems to be with the Doberman,and that's it.She has never mentioned damien being around other dogs or pups.So no,I was not looking at it in a bad situation.I was just wondering why he is only hanging out with the Dobe.

sammiec
June 10th, 2004, 04:23 PM
YOUR DOG HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS THREAD ANYMORE!!! IT'S ALL ABOUT YOU!!!! You're dog doesn't make these riduculous threads, your dog doesn't post these repeative remarks, your dog, your dog, your dog... geez lady. I really could care less anymore about your darn dog!!! You come on here and talk about how the poor thing ate your couch and don't expect that people will comment :mad: - gimme a friggin break. :mad: you're beyond ridiculous. I wish I never even came to this board now!!! I'm sure that there are many guest viewing this saying the same thing. You're a waste of our time and all you do is get people pee'd off. Your darn threads aren't even questions anymore!!!! You come here to tell us that your dog came back with a limp - he probably stretched a muscle in his leg because was outside for the whole day!!!! GEEZ LOUISE!!!!
this thread started off with - "my dog ate my couch and I know it's my fault." well flippin' great SO WHAT!?!?!?

Goldenmom
June 10th, 2004, 04:28 PM
I really could care less anymore about your darn dog!!! !?

Well, I for one do and I am glad that she has an outlet to talk about her dog good and bad. The best thing would be for people that don't want to read what she has to say or could care less, just to ignore her posts. I will continue to try and help out where I can. I am not a GSD expert, never will be, but I do know enough about pups and raising them.

Heather

heidiho
June 10th, 2004, 04:30 PM
I am done with this,like i said i cant get every thing i do with damien on here,yes he has been around lots of dogs,yes you did say 15 minutes at a time,start off with only kitchen.I KNOW ALL THIS,i HAVE SAID AT LEAST 10 TIMES I SCREWED UP.............. NO this isnt about me wanting attention,but when i have 5 people getting on my ass,yeah that is about me..............DONE.............................. .................................................. ...............................................Not hing anyone does is good enough for there pets to some of you............................................... ...................................

sammiec
June 10th, 2004, 04:31 PM
Enjoy Goldenmom, I hope you have a lot of patience...

Goldenmom
June 10th, 2004, 04:33 PM
Heather,first off we did not tell her to let him have the run of the apt...I suggested to her that when she was home,leave for about 15-20 mins,come back in,and see how he was for that time.I also said that after a while of this,go a bit longer.The reason I suggested this is because this is what I did.So I wanted her to try it.It was suggested about 3 weeks ago.And when and how long did she do this.This past weekend.

Mona, I don't have the time or energy to go back to previous posts. I do know that someone, even a couple people, probably not you included, suggest that she can give the dog the run of the house. I think people were thinking of only the potty training, and not the destructive behaviour that a lot of pups have.

Also,as for the socializing,I'm not saying she isn't doing this.But damien only seems to be with the Doberman,and that's it.She has never mentioned damien being around other dogs or pups.So no,I was not looking at it in a bad situation.I was just wondering why he is only hanging out with the Dobe.

I think that things that have been said are really sinking in and I myself see a noticeable improvement. Some of us here have obviously been helpful to her and hopefully this will continue. Damien being at the rescue farm is great socialization for any animal, pup or dog. She is right in keeping him going there on weekends.

Sorry, I just feel that this board is for helping and sometimes it gets off topic and I really see true colors come out of some people. Not so nice colors either :rolleyes:

Heather

sammiec
June 10th, 2004, 04:36 PM
I am done with this,like i said i cant get every thing i do with damien on here,yes he has been around lots of dogs,yes you did say 15 minutes at a time,start off with only kitchen.I KNOW ALL THIS,i HAVE SAID AT LEAST 10 TIMES I SCREWED UP.............. NO this isnt about me wanting attention,but when i have 5 people getting on my ass,yeah that is about me..............DONE.............................. .................................................. ...............................................Not hing anyone does is good enough for there pets to some of you............................................... ...................................

Please remember that you wrote this when you get to work in the morning and sit your butt infront of your computer and do nothing but waste company time and money while you write your idiotic posts.
AND we're not even commenting on how you treat your dog...it's you!! You ask for adivice and then turn around and do nothing with it. Geez, I've had enough, I'm repeating myself almost as much as you do!! Later loser.

Goldenmom
June 10th, 2004, 04:36 PM
Enjoy Goldenmom, I hope you have a lot of patience...

I have a WORLD of patience, believe me. When it comes to helping someone that is needing help, I'm there, believe me. I'm not a quitter and never will be. I have a daughter Heidi's age and I can relate a bit because of this.

I will continue to help Heidi when I can.

Heather

sammiec
June 10th, 2004, 04:43 PM
Goldenmom, thank you! I am sorry that I have shown this side of me, but I can't help it when people are constantly asking for help but will not take the advice given. You're obviously more competent that I. This board should have more people like you.
I have place HeidiHO on my ignore list and will continue to try and help people that I feel will use the advice that is given and will be appriciateive of the advice they have recieved from people that have some experience.

Bill & Bob
June 10th, 2004, 04:43 PM
GoldenMom, you're a better person than I am. I haven't got the patience. Myself, I own a GSD as well. I've screwed up with him a few times by being a new dog owner with little experience in the past. I have taken advice from personal friends and people on here. The idea is to try and work the advice and find results. Again, the issue remains that she doesn't use the advice. If she tried it and it didn't work, that's a different thing altogether. But she freely admits that she will ask the same question 1000 times because she "loves her dog and wants what's best". Why not ask it once and try the advice you get instead of biting the hand that's feeding it to you?

Not sure if it was me you were referring to when you mentioned the not so nice colour comment, but if so, that's ok. I do have nasty colours sometimes. I freely admit that. Everyone does. I don't throw them around carelessly or where they aren't warranted.

mona_b
June 10th, 2004, 04:46 PM
Once again,no one has said for her to let him have free run of the house.I have been here from the begining of her posts.So I do remember almost everything she has said....The suggestions that were made was to have her block off the kitchen.That was it.And the reason it was suggested was because he was being caged up for 8 hours a day.

We have all tried to help her.But you can't help those who don't listen...

And when we have all suggested the same thing,what does that tell you?

Also,this can't be much of a rescue.Like I have said before,when you give up your dog to a rescue,you sign them over to them.There is no way that they will give the dog back.That I know for a fact.

chico2
June 10th, 2004, 04:51 PM
Oh Boy!!!!!I thought this was an old thread,had to check the date :D
Heidi I thought you were going to try your best to understand and that you liked us sooo much.
Someone said BIG dogs chew when left alone :confused: My sons Jack Russel,just about ate his whole condo,coffetable,carpet,jeans,shoes,doors etc...etc...He did get a baby-gate left the JR in the kitchen,where she tore the front of the dishwasher,had a couple of pieces of the kitchen-cupboards.
She was obviously much too energetic to be left alone all day,now at 5yrs,she's calmed down somewhat :D
I also wanted to mention,not critizise,the crate in your picture seems awfully small for a big puppy,not ever having had a crate for my dogs(a loong time ago)I don't really understand how anyone can put a dog in a crate as small as this one and leave him there all day.
I do hope you find a good solution for Damien,I thought everything was ok now,but I guess not :confused:

heidiho
June 10th, 2004, 04:51 PM
I SAID I SCREWED UP LETTING HIM HAVE THE HOUSE.................GOOD SEE YA>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Golden i have not asked this question a thousand times,i have been defening myslef a thousand times,and one last rude comment for sammiec i do not wish for you ever to say aomething about my dog like that again,you dont care about damien i think you said,that was very rude and un called for,go ahead and blast me but dont say s%^ like that about my dog...YEAH ,ANIMAL LOVER,I WOULD NEVER SAY SOMETHING LIKE THAT ABOUT SOMEONES PET,whether i like the owner or not,that was very unappropiate................

Karin
June 10th, 2004, 06:01 PM
Yesterday, I thought we were starting to play nice..

Goldenmom
June 10th, 2004, 06:09 PM
Yesterday, I thought we were starting to play nice..

Haha! That was yesterday! Today, its a whole new ball of wax! Each day brings new ideas and fun!

Heather

heidiho
June 10th, 2004, 06:27 PM
See that is what i am talking about,well it is a great rescue,maybe here in arizona things are done differently,so now it is a bad rescue,whatever,it is a great rescue,came very highly recommended,she said my puppy has a great life,and i must have done a few things right because he is well behaved,not a PERFECT dog,but we all cant have those,yes i did sign him over,will be checking on that tonight....You know alot of people get dogs and chain them up outside leave them there all day,throw them some food and that is it,my dog gets more lovin,all my attention.doted on from the time i wake up,til when i walk back in the house in the evening til we go to bed......

glasslass
June 10th, 2004, 06:28 PM
May I venture a timorous suggestion? I know absolutely nothing about big dogs or german shepherds, but something that seemed to help my dog years ago was leaving the radio on when we had to leave. The normal noises in the house seemed to make him feel less alone and masked the other little noises that seemed to set him off barking. At least, my neighbors said he stopped whining while we were gone. :o

heidiho
June 10th, 2004, 06:29 PM
About the crate,i am going to look at bigger ones this weekend.P.S. HE CAN STAND AND TURN AROUND IN CRATE.............

heidiho
June 10th, 2004, 06:30 PM
Glasslass,hi yeah i actually leave the tv on,usually animal planet....Hope that's not bad ..... :D :D

glasslass
June 10th, 2004, 06:41 PM
I thought about that - Animal Planet - but was afraid my dog wouldn't like the snakes and "survival of the fittest" episodes! :eek: Actually, I figured the radio was cheaper to replace if it wore out and less fire hazard. My dog actually seems scared when there's violence (screaming and fighting and loud background music) on TV. The volume always seems to intensify during those scenes. :(

heidiho
June 10th, 2004, 06:44 PM
I will try radio,you know what i would love is to have a video camera in the house,like the other day when i let him have the whole apt.just curious to see what i will never get to see.Also love playi hide and go seek,like i will throw the ball then go hide on the side of my bed,he walks around lookin and lookin when he leaves bedroom i will call his name he just trips out,it is pretty fun....

melanie
June 10th, 2004, 07:00 PM
oh well i thought we were past all this. :o . now i feel really bad, i was the one who suggested sep anxiety, i forgot damian was a cage dog, just cause i suggested it does not mean it is so, owwww.
previously sep anx was described as this
'it goes nuts crying, scratching, howling, peeing, pooping, chewing, etc'.
well charlie definatly had sep anx and did not howl, cry, bark or scratch, just ate through everything including the back door, what a fool. she is not a barker most of the time, she is quite a quiet dog. im not saying this is a wrong description, but it is important to recognise that not all dogs will show same symptoms (charlie is GSDX but i dont think breed was prob).
10-15 minutes is not what i suggested yesterday, i think 2 minutes in the house with out talking to him is enough, 15 mins is a bit much. when you leave dont make a fuss and just leave, when return dont make fuss and ignore him for 2mins then interact with him (but i dont know if this is applicable to cage dogs, i couldnt help letting them out straight away so i am not sure). you will have to ask the cage people.
also i suggested the radio yesterday, did you try it??
vet tv show here has doggy cam, they set up cameras in the house and record behaviour and give assessment, it is really funny what some of them do when alone.

heidiho
June 10th, 2004, 07:17 PM
I would love it,dont have that kind of money though,will have to act like i am leaving and hide.Yeah when i get home i dont make a big deal about it when iw alk in,but yeah i cant make him wait 10 of 15 minutes,i let him out whether good idea or not,he is coming out..............

heidiho
June 10th, 2004, 07:29 PM
By the way,my friend just called,dogs are alive and well...............As i knew they would be..................

cutelittlemako
June 11th, 2004, 01:52 AM
Wow, this story has been a real roller coaster. Everyting is nice, then things turn sour, then nice again, every body appoligizes, then it turns bad again... Over and over. And as was said before, Heidi's threads ALWAYS end up having more than one page!

That is fine mona knows alot about the breed that is great,does not mean every dog is gonna be the same...And does not mean she is always right because her dogs never did a thing wrong

Well if you don't want advice from people who have similar experience, you should not ask questions. The best person to answer questions about purebred dogs are owners of the same breed.

And as for the comment that people who do not like your posts should not read them... This is a PUBLIC board! Some people on here have the same questions as you do, and instead of starting their own thread (I find the repetition very annoying - wink wink) they come to your posts to get the answer. And this is what they find.

And when the thread gets like this... 3 pages long and getting nowhere, you just start a new one and it goes on and on... This is just cluttering the board so that people who need help with stuff that they are concerned about and are willing to try any suggestion they get, have to go through all this and get no help at all.

Your threads are SO PREDICTABLE, they always end in the same way!

heidiho
June 11th, 2004, 11:44 AM
Nobody apologizes,and i dont expect them to,cause remember i am wrong,it just seems every single thing i say i do is just not good enough for some people,and to diagnos my dog with only a few things i said he did is wrong,it couldnt be maybe hey he is just a puppy that could be one reason he chewed on my stuff,no it's destructive behavior,yeah i do like OPINIONS,that is why i am here,and if people want to keep replying to me,then so be it,i do not think i am a rude person,but i will stick up for myself if needed.....It is a free world,just dont come to my posts and complain about them,it is just like if something on tv offends you,turn the channel,i am not trying to start arguements,but for someone to say something is a fact about something that be run different here in arizona is a joke......

Lucky Rescue
June 11th, 2004, 12:19 PM
Better late than never. This thread is closed.