Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Lukka's Surgery

Lukka'sma
January 22nd, 2008, 12:27 PM
I just called the vet and they tell me she came through the surgery with flying colors. Very groggy at the moment and they have moved her to the larger area in the back because it's much quieter.
Prior to the surgery I had both hips ex ray'd and the vet said the ligament tear was a very basic repair, but he does see laxity in the hips.........he does suggest having a radiologist read the ex ray for more conclusive diagnosis. If she does have some HD down the road we will deal with that at a later date for now all we are concerned with is having her recover from this surgery and finding her smile again.
I'm off to work soon and will get another update on her from work, will let everyone know the outcome of that call when I get home at 11:30pm.

want4rain
January 22nd, 2008, 12:38 PM
:goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes::goodv ibes::goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes:: goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvi bes:
i dotn think i can send anymore good vibes!!! but i have more in store!! maybe ill make another post with more good vibes in it???

-ashley

snoopymjm
January 22nd, 2008, 12:38 PM
:fingerscr:goodvibes: for a good recovery.

Love4himies
January 22nd, 2008, 01:04 PM
Glad to hear her surgery went well. Now for that darn ligament to heal.

BAILEYSMUDGE
January 22nd, 2008, 01:41 PM
:goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes: Continued thoughts for a good recovery!!!

rainbow
January 22nd, 2008, 02:10 PM
I'm so glad to hear that Lukka's surgery went well. :thumbs up Sending lots of good wishes for a trouble free recovery. :fingerscr :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

breeze
January 22nd, 2008, 02:10 PM
she came through with flying colors :highfive::highfive: thats great news!!!!
sending you and lukka more :goodvibes::fingerscr:goodvibes: for a fast recovery, and she will be home were she belongs..

WOO HOO :highfive::goodvibes::grouphug:

14+kitties
January 22nd, 2008, 02:14 PM
:fingerscr for a quick and speedy recovery for Lukka. :goodvibes: and :grouphug: being sent your way from all of us.

SARAH
January 22nd, 2008, 03:35 PM
Joining our :goodvibes: :goodvibes: :fingerscr and :grouphug: :grouphug: to every one else's! Get well soon Lukka!

chico2
January 22nd, 2008, 03:50 PM
OMG,what a relief,it's over:thumbs upand she's ok:thumbs up

Tommysmom
January 22nd, 2008, 04:59 PM
More :goodvibes::goodvibes:and :fingerscr:fingerscr here! Glad the surgery was ok, and here's hoping for a nice, quick recovery!

Luba
January 22nd, 2008, 05:05 PM
I"m so glad you posted an update. You must have been a wreck waiting for the doc to call. Thank God all went well. One big step towards recovery for Lukka :pray:

JanM
January 22nd, 2008, 06:04 PM
Great news on a successful surgery! Now :pray: for a speedy and complete recovery!

Frenchy
January 22nd, 2008, 06:55 PM
wooohoo ! Mommy must be so relieved !

Will you be able to pick her up tomorrow ?

Speedy recovery Lukka :goodvibes: :fingerscr

jessi76
January 22nd, 2008, 07:15 PM
hugs to Lukka! I hope she makes a full & speedy recovery! :grouphug:

SnowDancer
January 22nd, 2008, 07:56 PM
Very happy for Lukka - and of course for you! Rest up as Thursday will come and you will need all of your strength to hug and kiss Lukka.

hazelrunpack
January 22nd, 2008, 08:04 PM
Yay, Lukka!! :highfive:

So happy to hear that the surgery went well! Now for a successful recovery and No. More. Owies!

:grouphug:

clm
January 22nd, 2008, 08:21 PM
Wonderful news that she went through the surgery so well. I bet you're missing her terribly. Hugs to you both. :grouphug:

Lukka'sma
January 22nd, 2008, 10:57 PM
Thanks everyone
I do miss her so much, we have never been away from each other longer than when I go to work, and she has never spent a night away from home.
I called about 7pm and they said she ate all her kibble and had a good drink. They tried to get her up to go out for a pee, but she wouldn't stand for them. I'm not surprised it must be quite painful. So they were going to try one more time before closing and if she still wouldn't go out they would put a catheter in her so she doesn't have a full bladder all night. I will call in the am to see how she is.
I can't bring her home until Thursday.......tomorrow is going to be a long day.
I'm so glad I could come here and get some encouragement from the you, it sure helps to get a person over the humps

growler~GateKeeper
January 22nd, 2008, 11:47 PM
:highfive: glad the surgery went well

:goodvibes: :fingerscr for a successful & quick recovery

rainbow
January 23rd, 2008, 12:07 AM
Glad to hear that Lukka is doing well. :thumbs up As "long" as tomorrow is going to be for you, try to get some rest....you'll need it for when she comes home. :o

krdahmer
January 23rd, 2008, 12:17 AM
Lots of hugs for you and lukka:grouphug::grouphug:... glad it went well. Speedy recovery too! :goodvibes:

Luba
January 23rd, 2008, 01:15 AM
Gosh I know how hard it is. Does Lukka have anything there from home..a favourite toy or a tshirt/some socks of yours? I always leave something like that when I have to leave my dog. They are more relaxed with smelling your scent. So what you may want to do is wear a tshirt to bed all night then roll it up or fold it and have them put it in with her, or wear socks all night to bed they are usually great for your scent. I will actually wear the socks then put the socks on the favourite teddy/toy and take that :thumbs up

gomez
January 23rd, 2008, 04:48 AM
:clap:

Yay Lukka!

gomez
January 23rd, 2008, 04:49 AM
:clap:

Yay Lukka!

Lukka'sma
January 23rd, 2008, 08:01 AM
Luba I wish I had of thought to send something with our scent on it:headslap:
I just called for an update on Lukka, the tech said she is doing fabulously. Touching ground with the surgery leg a bit:) They have her in a huge pen with a sleeping blanket and she's flaked out at the moment. Looks like she can come home tomorrow:D

hazelrunpack
January 23rd, 2008, 08:29 AM
That's wonderful that she was eating already last night and toe-touching this morning! :thumbs up She's doing great! :goodvibes:

bendyfoot
January 23rd, 2008, 09:47 AM
Yay, glad to hear that things are going smoothly!
You'll have to give her big, mega-smoochies for being such a good patient when she comes home tomorrow!

danaekitty
January 23rd, 2008, 09:51 AM
Thank goodness you've both come through this! :thumbs upHopefully Lukka gets his strength back soon and can play just like before - maybe a little more carefully, ha ha.

luckypenny
January 23rd, 2008, 10:10 AM
Looks like she can come home tomorrow:D

:goodvibes: What a good girl! Hope this day passes as quick as possible for you :goodvibes: .

Frenchy
January 23rd, 2008, 11:23 AM
Looks like she can come home tomorrow:D

:thumbs up I know you miss her but she's better at the vet today. Just in case .... and she will be sleeping all day anyway. :sleepy:

Lukka'sma
January 23rd, 2008, 01:13 PM
I know you're right Frenchy, I just have never had an animal have to stay at the hospital overnight before. Even our rabbit got to come home the same day that he was fixed.
We were using a towel as a sling to put under Lukka's belly to help support her until she heals but I bought one of those cloth bags and split the side seams and made a sling out of that for her. Much easier as towels don't have carrying handles on them:D I will still line the inside of this with a towel because it does have seams in it.
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/clwhal/DSC_0266.jpg

clm
January 23rd, 2008, 02:07 PM
The sling looks like a great idea. :thumbs up

I've never had an animal spend a night at the vet either. She'll be back home before you know it. :goodvibes:

chico2
January 23rd, 2008, 03:34 PM
I am sure Lukka is fine at the vet,as beautiful and sweet as she is,she'll get tons of attention,but of course it's not her mom and dad.
Love your sling,a great idea:thumbs up
Did the vet say anything about her other leg?hopefully she just strained it too much:fingerscr
And as soon as she is back home and settled,you know we need pics of the patient,ok....but no rush..

14+kitties
January 23rd, 2008, 03:43 PM
Great news Lukka'sma!! So good that she is putting leg down already. She must be wanting to heal as fast as you want her healed. And such a good patient! Much better than I would be in the same spot. :D
More goodvibes coming your way.

growler~GateKeeper
January 23rd, 2008, 07:12 PM
It's great that she's touching ground with the surgery foot :highfive: - you'll have to keep a close eye on her @ home to make sure she doesn't try to over do it. :goodvibes:

rainbow
January 23rd, 2008, 07:29 PM
Glad to hear Lukka is toe touching. :thumbs up Don't forget to get lots of rest before she comes home since you're going to be sleeping on the floor for the next little while. :D Did you get an airbed? :fingerscr

I made the same sling for Chase but he's such a hyper goof that it was impossible to use with him. :rolleyes: He did much better if I held the least right close to his collar when I took him outside. :o

Have you seen her yet? Did they shave all her beautiful fur off her butt to put a pain patch on? :o

hazelrunpack
January 23rd, 2008, 09:45 PM
Only one more night alone, then the lovely Lukka comes home! :grouphug:

Love your sling idea! Just make sure that seam is strong--Lukka's a big girl. :dog:

Luba
January 23rd, 2008, 10:02 PM
You know that is a brilliant idea for the sling! Way to go!

Sounds like all is going well with her and she's probably so out of it with pain killers she feels like she's on :cloud9:

What are they giving you for pain meds when she comes home?

Lukka'sma
January 23rd, 2008, 10:43 PM
I am sure Lukka is fine at the vet,as beautiful and sweet as she is,she'll get tons of attention,but of course it's not her mom and dad.
Love your sling,a great idea:thumbs up
Did the vet say anything about her other leg?hopefully she just strained it too much:fingerscr
And as soon as she is back home and settled,you know we need pics of the patient,ok....but no rush..
chico when he ex ray'd the legs he said the other one showed mild laxity in the hip. I guess it could become HD, don't really know for sure, but until then we just keep on keeping on and celebrate Lukka being cruciate tear free:D

Glad to hear Lukka is toe touching. :thumbs up Don't forget to get lots of rest before she comes home since you're going to be sleeping on the floor for the next little while. :D Did you get an airbed? :fingerscr
I made the same sling for Chase but he's such a hyper goof that it was impossible to use with him. :rolleyes: He did much better if I held the least right close to his collar when I took him outside. :o

Have you seen her yet? Did they shave all her beautiful fur off her butt to put a pain patch on? :o
I did get the airbed, and yes I will be sleeping on the floor beside her for however long it takes before she can have the house to roam in through the night. She doesn't really move around much in the night anyway, maybe once goes from the back door to the living room and to the door again later in the night, other than that she just sleeps.

We haven't seen her. Thought it would be better to wait because it would break our hearts to visit her and then leave without her, and she would be really upset that we left without her too.
I'm sure her back end has been shaved, I'll put a picture of it up tomorrow. Should grow in quickly:fingerscr

You know that is a brilliant idea for the sling! Way to go!

Sounds like all is going well with her and she's probably so out of it with pain killers she feels like she's on :cloud9:

What are they giving you for pain meds when she comes home?

You know what, I haven't even asked what she'll be on once she comes home, but with any luck we will find out tomorrow morning:D

Luba
January 23rd, 2008, 10:49 PM
Good luck getting her in/out of the car and maybe hey she can sleep on the airbed with you at night if she's not a roamer she may just love that and you too.

It's all great news so far! :thumbs up

Lukka'sma
January 23rd, 2008, 11:00 PM
She won't get on the airbed, I tried that last week when I was sleeping beside her:frustrated:
To get her in and out of the truck I built a ramp so she doesn't ever have to jump, once she is home we will put it on the back steps again, she has to maneuver two steps to get in and out of the house, so we have been using her ramp for that too since she hurt herself

hazelrunpack
January 23rd, 2008, 11:06 PM
Ramps are wonderful tools, aren't they?

What time tomorrow does Lukka come home?

Lukka'sma
January 24th, 2008, 09:25 AM
We got her about half an hour ago. OMG when they brought her out she couldn't get to us soon enough. She was crying in a happy excited way, just a wonderful greeting, complete body wags and kisses that covered our faces:D She got so carried away that she jumped up on her daddy twice before we could do anything about it:laughing: The tech's just laughed and said what a wonderful patient she had been.
She puts the surgery leg down completely when she walks, but limps somewhat. I was thinking this recovery was going to be a difficult thing for her and us to deal with, but compared to pre-op this is a cake walk. She doesn't limp anywhere near to the extend she did a few day's ago, and she is happy which makes it so worth it.
No more pain in her knee other than healing pain which is so much different than injury pain.:thumbs up
I have lots of instructions for home care to follow over the next few weeks, range of motion and ice packs etc.
She's on Nova-Lexin again, and for pain she has Deramaxx.
3 follow up appointments starting in 7 days. She will get Cartrophen injections on those appointments.
She's home, she's happy and all is well.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/clwhal/DSC_0278.jpg

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/clwhal/CSC_0279.jpg

14+kitties
January 24th, 2008, 09:31 AM
:grouphug: for Lukka. Am having trouble typing because of the tears. When you desribed how happy she was to see you it started the waterworks here. I am so glad she is doing so well. The incision looks really really good. And hopefully the hair grows in quickly. She is such a doll. :cloud9:

hazelrunpack
January 24th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Yay, Lukka! :highfive:

Sounds like your biggest problem is going to be keeping her from overdoing it! :dog: At least, once she's done with her nap! :D

luckypenny
January 24th, 2008, 09:44 AM
She's home, she's happy and all is well.

http://bestsmileys.com/clapping/4.gif Yay for Lukka!!! And :goodvibes: for the speediest recovery!

Frenchy
January 24th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Lukka's mom , I can picture you waiting at the vet's door this morning , waiting for them to unlock the door : "give me my doggy back right now" :yell:

I'm glad she's already home , AND sleeping :thumbs up

You take it easy now Lukka , no running at squirrels !

CearaQC
January 24th, 2008, 12:44 PM
:grouphug: for Lukka. Am having trouble typing because of the tears. When you desribed how happy she was to see you it started the waterworks here. I am so glad she is doing so well. The insicion looks really really good. And hopefully the hair grows in quickly. She is such a doll. :cloud9:

Stop talking about crying!! It's contagious! lol I can't help it, I'm so darn empathic. Sometimes it's a curse and I usually hide it. :laughing: Otherwise I look like I boo-hoo 90% of the time. lol

Glad to see she's home! Wow what an incision. Makes me cringe just to see it.

Is she going to have to wear the e-collar?

14+kitties
January 24th, 2008, 01:43 PM
I know it's contagious! I can't remember shedding more tears in my life than I have since I joined this site!!!!
Oh well, they do say tears are cathartic.....

Lukka'sma
January 24th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Stop talking about crying!! It's contagious! lol I can't help it, I'm so darn empathic. Sometimes it's a curse and I usually hide it. :laughing: Otherwise I look like I boo-hoo 90% of the time. lol

Glad to see she's home! Wow what an incision. Makes me cringe just to see it.

Is she going to have to wear the e-collar?

Most likely when the healing really kicks in and the itching starts, at this time she doesn't even pay attention to the staples.

rainbow
January 24th, 2008, 02:15 PM
WOO HOO for Lukka :highfive:

Sending lots of good wishes for a trouble free recovery. :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

ancientgirl
January 24th, 2008, 02:20 PM
I'm so happy she did so well with the surgery! And you have her home!

She'll be running around in no time.

This is spoiling time!:D

chico2
January 24th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Oh my,Lukka,what a big scar you have there, seeing her pic and reading about her reaction to mom and dad,got my waterworks started to,I am sooo happy everything went without problems:thumbs up

Luba
January 24th, 2008, 05:19 PM
YAY welcome home LUkka that scar will fade to nothing. My Rusty's looked just like that and it really healed well. After any openings closed up I began a gentle massage, luke warm bath and gently rubbed some aloe and vitamin e on it. But nothing at all for the first while and it looks like a good surgical site, all will be fine I'm sure.

WELCOME HOME LUKKA!!

loopoo
January 24th, 2008, 10:20 PM
awww what a sweet baby. shes so loved :cloud9: and obviously loves her mom and dad tons too, you must be so glad to have her home.:thumbs up

growler~GateKeeper
January 25th, 2008, 12:41 AM
YAY for Lukka - I'll bet everyone was jumping-for-joy-happy @ your house today :D

Good that she is going to start on Cartrophen, here is the brochure if the clinic didn't give you the info already http://www.arthritis.au.com/DMOAD.2006.FINAL.pdf

My :rip: :dog: Cally was on Cartrophen injections for his hip & back arthritis worked wonders for him :thumbs up

If you can get Lukka swimming as soon as the dr gives the go ahead that is great stregthening excercise without muscle straining.

:goodvibes: speedy recovery Lukka

Love4himies
January 25th, 2008, 07:40 AM
So glad to hear Lukka is home and doing so well after her surgery. Way to go, Lukka.

breeze
January 25th, 2008, 07:48 AM
Welcome home Lukka!! :thumbs up :highfive:

with all the love and care your mom and dad will give you you will be better in no time. Then you can go for your long walk in the woods and post more pictures of your beautiful face :cloud9:

:goodvibes::grouphug:

hazelrunpack
January 25th, 2008, 08:42 AM
How is sweet Lukka doing this morning? Did she let mom sleep? :fingerscr

Lukka'sma
January 25th, 2008, 09:51 AM
How is sweet Lukka doing this morning? Did she let mom sleep? :fingerscr

Yea, I got some sleep....on the kitchen floor, but I have my airbed so it's not too bad.
Lukka is doing really good. She has no problem with me doing her leg extension's three times a day and ice pack for 20 minutes each time.
The staples look great today. Completely dry now, yesterday when we picked her up there was quite a bit of oozing but by the afternoon it had dried up.
Hasn't needed her cone yet, still not paying too much attention to the leg as far as licking goes.

Frenchy
January 25th, 2008, 11:10 AM
She has no problem with me doing her leg extension's three times a day and ice pack for 20 minutes each time.

What a good girl she is ! 20 minutes with ice pack , even I would go nuts. :o

CearaQC
January 25th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Yeah ice packs no fun. lol

The wound looks great!

But I wonder if all that shaved area is starting to get itchy yet? :laughing:

How is she walking? Going potty outside ok? Are you using that canvas bag thingy you made?

chico2
January 25th, 2008, 11:18 AM
I just KNEW she was going to be a good girl:lovestruck:

Lukka'sma
January 25th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Yeah ice packs no fun. lol

The wound looks great!

But I wonder if all that shaved area is starting to get itchy yet? :laughing:

How is she walking? Going potty outside ok? Are you using that canvas bag thingy you made?

Yes, I use the sling to help take pressure off the back legs. She does quite well getting out there to pee. Of course she can't just pee close to the house, has to go to the very back of the yard:frustrated:
When she's inside she is quite willing to rest the leg and sleeps most of the time. She has been good as gold throughout all of this, even during the 8 day's before they could do her surgery when the pain must have been at it's worse. I hesitate to say it's been harder on us then it has been on her, but you know what I mean. I was in physical pain just watching her prior to her surgery and counting the hours before she could be anesthetized and not feel the pain:sad: It's different now. She's healing so it doesn't bother me or her near as much as it did. Hubby is a different story though, he is not ready to be left alone with her yet:laughing: Runs all my errands for me:D
I took the next 9 days off work so that hubby doesn't have to try and cope alone with Lukka until she's stronger on her back legs.

CearaQC
January 25th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Hubby is a different story though, he is not ready to be left alone with her yet:laughing: Runs all my errands for me:D

:confused: Howcome?

He doesn't want to do what you're doing?

I wish I could get my hubby to run errands. :laughing:

Lukka'sma
January 25th, 2008, 11:51 AM
:confused: Howcome?

He doesn't want to do what you're doing?

I wish I could get my hubby to run errands. :laughing:

He's afraid he will either not give her enough support with the sling when walking and she will hurt herself, or he will give her too much and will hurt her.
He's great at cuddling her and telling her stories about what lies ahead in all the adventures they will have:), but has no stomach for medical type stuff.

Frenchy
January 25th, 2008, 12:01 PM
He's great at cuddling her and telling her stories about what lies ahead in all the adventures they will have:), but has no stomach for medical type stuff.

Sounds like a real softie :angel:

TeriM
January 25th, 2008, 02:25 PM
He's afraid he will either not give her enough support with the sling when walking and she will hurt herself, or he will give her too much and will hurt her.

Sounds exactly like my hubby :D. Woohoo for Lukka for being such a great patient :angel: and I'm so happy she is recovering so well :cloud9:.

hazelrunpack
January 25th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Aw, he's just a doting daddy, LM! I'm sure Lukka doesn't mind too much... :dog:

The leg is looking really good today! That's great that you could get the time off. I took 6 months when we got Evan (:rip:)--he needed surgeries for elbow dysplasia. It was hard, but I never regretted missing work to spend time with my baby :cloud9:

Lukka'sma
January 25th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Here is one of daddy's story telling sessions that happened just about an hour ago

Frenchy
January 25th, 2008, 07:29 PM
ahhh so cute ! :lovestruck: Lukka is such a daddy's girl :D

Luba
January 25th, 2008, 08:15 PM
It's lovely to see those pictures and all the good news about recovery.
Way to go Lukka! :thumbs up And mom and dad of course!!
Looks like so far the vet did a good job.

hazelrunpack
January 25th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Awwww...a girl and her daddy.... :cloud9: And look at that nice gape! :thumbs up So good to see her mouth open!

:laughing: That sounds funny...but you know what I mean... :o

rainbow
January 26th, 2008, 12:14 AM
And look at that nice gape! :thumbs up So good to see her mouth open!
[/SIZE]

I agree. :highfive: And, her leg is looking good too. :thumbs up

And, I love the "Daddy's Girl" pics. :cloud9:

chico2
January 26th, 2008, 07:24 AM
Awww,those pics say:lovestruck::lovestruck::lovestruck:it's just wonderful to see her looking sooo good,gives me a warm fuzzy feeling:dog:

breeze
January 26th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Keep up the good work Lukka, Mum, Dad.. and you will be recovered in no time!! :thumbs up:thumbs up

:goodvibes::grouphug::highfive:

luckypenny
January 31st, 2008, 09:14 AM
Can we get an update Lukkasma? I'm due for a photo fix too :D .

Lukka'sma
January 31st, 2008, 09:33 AM
Can we get an update Lukkasma? I'm due for a photo fix too :D .

She's doing great lp.
On Tues she had her first recheck and a Cartrophen injection. One of her staples had worked itself out on one side so they just removed it, no problems with any kind of oozing or anything like that. The incision is healing nicely. She gets her staples removed on Monday afternoon and another cartrophen injection, followed by another injection 7 days after and then it will be done every 3 months from now on. As soon as she wakes from her nap and is upright I'll snap a pic of her and post it:)

luckypenny
January 31st, 2008, 09:38 AM
I'm so glad to hear she's doing so well.

As soon as she wakes from her nap and is upright I'll snap a pic of her and post it:)

Loking forward to it :goodvibes: . She's such a pretty girl :lovestruck: .

chico2
January 31st, 2008, 11:57 AM
Awww,that's great to hear,I almost expect complications nowadays,:shrug:
Yes,pics would be great,you know we love that big lug of a girlie:lovestruck:

breeze
January 31st, 2008, 12:12 PM
this is great news!!!! :thumbs up

:goodvibes::grouphug:

Love4himies
January 31st, 2008, 12:37 PM
Glad to hear she is doing well.

rainbow
January 31st, 2008, 01:16 PM
YAY for Lukka. :highfive: I'm so glad to hear that she is recovering so well. :thumbs up Looking forward to the pics. :lovestruck:

clm
January 31st, 2008, 01:37 PM
That's great news. Sounds like she'll be back to normal before you know it. :thumbs up

Cindy

Lukka'sma
January 31st, 2008, 04:14 PM
Must be something out there I can bark at
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/clwhal/DSC_0303a.jpg

better stretch before my exercises
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/clwhal/CSC_0318.jpg

I'm limping a bit, but not doing too badly
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/clwhal/CSC_0317.jpg

see how well my incision is healing. I lost a staple about half way down. I didn't cry when the doctor pulled it out.
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/clwhal/DSC_0301.jpg

phoozles
January 31st, 2008, 04:21 PM
Lukka is beautiful as always :lovestruck: And it looks like she'll be back to normal in no time!! :thumbs up

chico2
January 31st, 2008, 04:27 PM
Oh wow,she looks great:thumbs up
I did not realize she has blondish colour in her fur,always thought she was all grey,but what a beauty she is:lovestruck:

rainbow
January 31st, 2008, 07:40 PM
Lukka is looking really good. :thumbs up I love the pic of her looking out the window. :cloud9:

And, you are sooo lucky you don't have any snow there. :p

Frenchy
January 31st, 2008, 08:27 PM
She's looking good :thumbs up my oh my what a big incision :eek: but a real clean one. Take it easy Lukka :dog:

breeze
January 31st, 2008, 08:50 PM
Lukka is one pretty pretty girl!!!!

you don't need the dreaded collar?? she is not ichy??

Lukka'sma
January 31st, 2008, 09:30 PM
Lukka is one pretty pretty girl!!!!

you don't need the dreaded collar?? she is not ichy??

doesn't appear to be breeze. Until her staples are out I will continue to sleep on the floor near her and that way I can regulate her behavior. So far no attempt to bite or lick the staples. She is being a real trooper about this. I am certain the incision must be itchy it's healing so fast, but even so she doesn't bother with it.:thumbs up

breeze
January 31st, 2008, 09:32 PM
doesn't appear to be breeze. Until her staples are out I will continue to sleep on the floor near her and that way I can regulate her behavior. So far no attempt to bite or lick the staples. She is being a real trooper about this. I am certain the incision must be itchy it's healing so fast, but even so she doesn't bother with it.:thumbs up

that is great, the cone would proably make her worst!! and thats not what you or her need right now..

hazelrunpack
January 31st, 2008, 10:50 PM
What a Gorrrrrgeous Gurlllllllll! :lovestruck: She's so cute looking for some excitement through the window! :laughing: Are you having trouble keeping her from dancing around too much when someone walks by? Or does she just bark? :D

The incision looks great and she was so brave when her staple had to come out. :dog: Good girl, Lukka!

luckypenny
January 31st, 2008, 11:15 PM
There's our Lukka-girl :lovestruck: . I vote we get daily photo updates so we can see for ourselves how quickly she's healing :D .

growler~GateKeeper
January 31st, 2008, 11:47 PM
Lukka is looking great :lovestruck:

What a good grrl to leave her incision alone :highfive:......I was surprised they used staples :shrug: I knew they used them on people but didn't know they did for dogs too. Happy everything is going as planned :thumbs up

Lukka'sma
February 1st, 2008, 08:29 AM
What a Gorrrrrgeous Gurlllllllll! :lovestruck: She's so cute looking for some excitement through the window! :laughing: Are you having trouble keeping her from dancing around too much when someone walks by? Or does she just bark? :D

The incision looks great and she was so brave when her staple had to come out. :dog: Good girl, Lukka!

Sometimes she just barks, other times she wants to dash
from the window to the door:frustrated:. We've asked as many family and friends that we can think of not to stop by for the next few weeks, (I can always send hubby to do the rounds and visit) and that will help somewhat with the excitement level.

clm
February 1st, 2008, 04:02 PM
Good idea to keep the company down to a bare minimum for a few weeks. Her incision looks great. She's making the recovery process easier for all of you leaving her incision alone as well.

Cindy

hazelrunpack
February 1st, 2008, 09:42 PM
Sometimes she just barks, other times she wants to dash
from the window to the door:frustrated:. We've asked as many family and friends that we can think of not to stop by for the next few weeks, (I can always send hubby to do the rounds and visit) and that will help somewhat with the excitement level.

When Priscilla had her hips replaced and her back tended to, I resorted to keeping her on a short leash clipped to my belt for the 22 weeks of recovery. It was the only way we could keep her from dashing around when someone came to the door (or heard a doorbell on TV :rolleyes:). One of the things we found very helpful was to disconnect the doorbells. :D We liked the silence so much that we left them disconnected until we moved 14 years later. :evil:

Winston
February 5th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Lukkasmom! How is that beautiful girl of yours doing? I hope she's feeling okay!

Cindy

hazelrunpack
February 5th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Yeah, it's been a while. We need our Lukka update :fingerscr! And another picture or two of the lovely lady would be nice, too! :D

14+kitties
February 5th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Gotta add my :2cents: worth. How did the staple removal go on Monday? I see her fur is growing back in the one pic. That must be pretty itchy. But she is looking as grand as always. :cloud9:

Lukka'sma
February 5th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Lukka is doing great.
She had her staples removed yesterday, the vet said she was a very fast healer and a few of her staples were overgrown with skin, he had to dig a bit. He was surprised at how much healing had taken place.
The part that worries me is her limping because I read a thread on this forum about another dog that had this surgery and after three weeks was limping only when activities had been over done. Wow, Lukka limps all the time at this point and that dog was already walking normal except when overdoing something:eek:. Obviously Lukka is way behind in that department. I honestly think she will be limping for a few weeks yet. :sad:
Also we have freezing rain forecasted for all tonight and all day tomorrow. I don't know how in he!! I am going to get her outside in that kind of weather. I would rather have a foot of snow in place of even a quarter inch of freezing rain:yell:
I will put an updated picture of her on this thread in the morning, kind of late now and she's flopped out behind my chair having a snooze:D

hazelrunpack
February 5th, 2008, 10:54 PM
I wonder if she's limping more because she's carrying more weight. Was the other dog as big as Lukka? :grouphug:

Glad to hear she's healing so well, though. That's wonderful!

I hear ya about the freezing rain! :frustrated: Just take it slow. Maybe you'll just get snow :fingerscr We were supposed to get some ice, then sleet and snow, and all we got was snow. I'll just have to send you some of our weather :goodvibes:. :D

Lukka'sma
February 5th, 2008, 11:12 PM
I wonder if she's limping more because she's carrying more weight. Was the other dog as big as Lukka? :grouphug:

Glad to hear she's healing so well, though. That's wonderful!

I hear ya about the freezing rain! :frustrated: Just take it slow. Maybe you'll just get snow :fingerscr We were supposed to get some ice, then sleet and snow, and all we got was snow. I'll just have to send you some of our weather :goodvibes:. :D

I'm not sure hazel. I don't remember now who's dog it was, I just remember the OP said the dog jumped out of the back of the truck when they brought it home from the two or three week check-up, all was fine though and no damage resulted from the jump:thumbs up
I guess Lukka could be limping still because of the weight and she doesn't have the best hips in the world.

chico2
February 6th, 2008, 07:38 AM
Lukkas mom,hopefully she is just limping because it used to hurt and she's afraid to put all the weight on her leg,like a human would be:confused:
I just went out to feed the birds,ice is covering the snow,not good for a pup with a sore leg,or me with my old bones:laughing:for sure!
Be careful Lukka-girl..

rainbow
February 6th, 2008, 12:55 PM
I think some dogs do and some dogs don't. Chase didn't limp at all with his first TPLO operation. It was the second one that we had all the trouble with. As long as she isn't holding it up she should be okay. Mention it to your vet though.