Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

If your afraid of dogs!!!!

TinaMcq
January 22nd, 2008, 05:18 AM
If your afraid of dogs don't move into an apartment building that lets dogs live there to. Dogs I have been told can pick up your fear and it makes it difficult for them as well. Trying to train a rescued dog who is also afraid is very hard and people jumping around screaming, won't come out of the elevator makes it very hard. You have no right telling the people with the dogs to wait until you get your family inside first its just as cold for the dogs as it is for you. Don't be afraid of a dog barking. If the dog is on a tight leash with a muzzle how can he do anything to you? Like I said if your afraid of dogs don't move into apartments.......:wall:

ancientgirl
January 22nd, 2008, 08:36 AM
I don't get why they would not want you on the elevator if your dog is controlled with a leash. And what a great example to set for your kids, "be afraid of dogs."

I'm telling you, stupid people should wear a sign so the rest of society can avoid them.

luckypenny
January 22nd, 2008, 09:35 AM
TinaMcq, I can empathize with you but I have to disagree. We also have a dog who reacts aggressively towards strangers and I would never want to have any of my neighbors fear of feel intimidated by her. I would also never put them in a situation where my dog is in very close proximity if she is not in calm state of mind or if I sense she's about to react aggressively...it doesn't matter if she's leashed or muzzled.

Dogs I have been told can pick up your fear and it makes it difficult for them as well.

Yes, this is true but...

If the dog is on a tight leash with a muzzle how can he do anything to you?

...your dog can sense the tension in a tight leash and the restraint of the muzzle, as well as any frustration you may be feeling, which will also exacerbate the situation.

I've been through this (and we're still dealing with it) and have learned that a dog who exhibits such fear and aggression should never be forced into a situation where the object of it's fear is in such close proximity. Regardless if it's leashed or muzzled. You can not ever control the reaction of strangers. I think it would benefit you, your dog, and your neighbors if you start reconditioning him slowly away from people who are afraid or angry. Try to determine your dog's 'safe zone', the area or distance from the object or person he fears without reacting aggressively. Once established, redirect his attention to you, have him sit and look at you, offer him a treat and praise if he complies. Gradually decrease the distance over time. If you sense he's about to go "off", or he is unable to focus on you, you're too close.

Trying to train a rescued dog who is also afraid is very hard and people jumping around screaming, won't come out of the elevator makes it very hard.

I commend you for adopting a rescued dog and for the effort it will take to help him. Take it slow and easy, don't expect your neighbors to not react nor fear your dog. For now, avoid any situations that may provoke an aggressive reaction from your dog until you have a better handle on it. It would be a shame if enough of them complained to your landlord and both you and your dog would have to face any consequences.

Have you commenced any obedience classes or consulted with a qualified behaviorist yet? I think this would be a great place to start your dog on a road to recovery. There's nothing compared to the practicality of 'hands on' teaching where you learn how to deal with such situations with a positive outcome, for you, your dog, and your neighbors.

mona_b
January 22nd, 2008, 10:36 AM
I have to honestly say I agree with everything luckypenny has said.

A close co-worker of mine rescued an Eskie mix last year.Leo was an apt dog.The owners left Leo there when they left...:evil::evil:

He wasn't very good around people or kids.Leo had issues.My co-worker loves in a 17 story apt.And lots of dogs live there.All different sizes.From Chi's to now an Irish Wolfhound.

My co-worker had to deal with screaming kids and even adults.To make a long story short,Leo has come a long way being in an elevator with screaming kids.He actually ignores them now.I've also helped him with Leo,as Leo ADORES me..:D

It will take some hard work and patience for you rescue.

As for the "stupid" people comment,not really called for.Some people ARE scared of dogs for one reason or another.Some have never been around them or have had something happen to them by one and can't get rid of the fear.Same goes for kids.Some parents tell thier kids to stay away from them,that they are bad.Everyone is different..I was bit twice at 14 by a friends Bull Terrier.But that didn't change my love for dogs.:)

Just my :2cents:

clm
January 22nd, 2008, 10:50 AM
A lot of people are afraid of dogs. Could be for a number of reasons, but I always move off the sidewalk and walk on the boulevard when we meet people on our walks. I would always let people into a building before I entered with my dogs and I would not get on a crowded elevator with them either. I would wait until it was less crowded or we could go up alone.
Just to be polite. :shrug:

Cindy

mona_b
January 22nd, 2008, 10:54 AM
but I always move off the sidewalk

I get the opposite.They cross the street.LOL

clm
January 22nd, 2008, 11:17 AM
We used to get some people crossing the street, but now that they know we move off the sidewalk they're much more comfortable with seeing the pups walking so they don't cross the street anymore. :laughing:

14+kitties
January 22nd, 2008, 11:30 AM
TinaMcq, instead of taking the dog up in the elevator (if it's busy) have you tried the stairs? I think you mentioned in another post you lived on the 4th floor? To me it seems a good solution until the dog gets a little more used to people and visa versa. You aren't putting the people or the dog in situations that could turn out badly for both AND it's good exercise for the dog and will tire him out.

TinaMcq
January 22nd, 2008, 03:36 PM
I am sorry if I offended people I don't mean to call people stupid maybe a bad word to use. I understand people are afraid of dogs, however if no one is in the elevator we go in if someone else comes on at a different floor they have to option of coming on or wait for the next one, same with going back if people are there we will wait for the next one plus we are not be anywhere close to them I have him sitting and saying good boy good boy. If they are afraid of dogs why come into the elevator and jump around its stuff like that gets me upset, I don't know who is afraid of animals! I have tried the stairs however a few times we got stuck in situations both ways couldn't turn to go the other way nothing. If your afraid your afraid I can try to avoid them however I will not be told to wait outside in the winter freezing my butt off cause someone is afraid either.

TinaMcq
January 22nd, 2008, 03:37 PM
I live on the 8th floor.

luckypenny
January 22nd, 2008, 05:34 PM
If your afraid your afraid I can try to avoid them however I will not be told to wait outside in the winter freezing my butt off cause someone is afraid either.

Yes, but your dog is afraid as well. Best to avoid adding to that state, don't you think :shrug: ? I'm sure he doesn't mind an extra 5 minutes outside versus being in an enclosed elevator in what seems to be an extremely uncomfortable situation for him :shrug:. I don't think this will help with his progress :shrug: .

TinaMcq
January 24th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Well skipper is getting better for the last few days now we have gone out and he hasen't really barked at people like before. He looks at them and keeps walking he's probably done it about 3 times now. He puppy trainer called and offered us private lessons for no extra charge today so of coarse I took it want him to get used to more action going on around him before throwing him into a group, plus I am guessing after what happened at the pet store last week they are being more careful. So things seem to be looking up.

Lukka'sma
January 24th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Good work Skipper:thumbs up and that goes for you too Tina.
Often we have people join the forum to ask for advice on training and what is offered by some very knowledgeable members is taken lightly and even argued to some extent. You have re-visited often and do seem intent on getting this situation rectified. A big thumbs up for your determination

Luba
January 24th, 2008, 08:25 PM
I was looking on the other thread for an update on Skipper and I found one here. I agree with Lukka's ma here good job at working on this. Great with the training and private classes and you'll be so happy the rewards will make you melt.

As for all the other stuff about people and apartments and elevators and such. We all have to live in this world so we gotta try to make ammenities for others. Maybe in time you'll be able to help some people get over thier fears when Skipper is less hyper. But hey, we all have our likes/dislikes and fears.
So if you need to unfortunately wait a few mins or seconds for someone to pass that's afraid then do it with a smile. I think in my opinion they are now more afraid because they see him with a muzzle on. That automatically sends up the signals of violent vicious dog and they do have every right to be fearful of something like that.

As I mentioned in another post, you need to find out if the muzzle is necessary.

TinaMcq
January 25th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Thank you I really mind waiting it just when its minus 25 and we have been out already I get alittle ratty but really what can you do. I move to the grass and walk there while other people pass I do everything possible. My sons father came today to pick him up skipper did amazing ran up barking sniff sniff pet me pet me, he calmed skipper down showing me different things to do and seemed to work. The muzzle well I believe it makes people more comfortable when I say he has a muzzle on they are more likely to come into the elevator, his bark is really really loud with the muzzle on its about half the noise and his bark is pretty scarey. One day I will get rid of it but one thing at a time......

Luba
January 25th, 2008, 08:17 PM
You need to find out if the muzzle is appropriate or not and I think you should do that with the obedience trainer and through behavioural issues.

A muzzle signifies a 'vicious' dog and doesn't make folks more comfortable, they just think you have a vicious dog. That is what you need to work on and should the top of the list.