Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Senior Diet for Dogs

geisha
January 21st, 2008, 11:16 PM
I haven't posted for awhile. I have a senior (age 13) female samoyed who is on California Natural Herring & Sweet Potato rotated with Go! Salmon & Oatmeal. I suppliment her diet with glucosamine, digestive enzymes &/or probiotics. For the past few months she has 3 large stools a day at least. It looks like she poops more than what I feed her which is 2 cups/day. Does anyone else have this problem? Other than this she is active, healthy, and thriving. Her weight is just right. Any suggestions?

KimandAutumn
January 21st, 2008, 11:52 PM
Blaze, my Dal who will be 13 next month is on Chicken Soup Senior Dog food and I'm really happy with the results. She's about 68 lbs and I feed her 1 cup 2 times per day. She has two very small poops per day and they are nice and firm.

I also supplement her with a liquid glucosamine/chondrotin mix.

SnowDancer
January 22nd, 2008, 11:47 AM
Maybe check with your vet, but seems to me as if you pup is fine. She hasn't started to decline the kibble (some older dogs do and want something soft due to teeth issues of course). I have a 4 year old American Eskimo who until we put him on a Fromms Salmon A La Veg at 9 months or so was headed towards a digestive enzyme - but the fish based diet seems great for the "northern" type of breeds. My guy can easily have 3 poops a day and he gets fed 1 cup of Fromms a day - split between breakfast and dinner (and okay his salmon cookies and a few vegetables) - but he weighs only 22 lbs. and is also in excellent health. I saw a post on another board by a lady who owns a large standard Eskie who was quite overweight and she was told that if her pup gained another 5 lbs. she would have a Samoyed! Our guy did gain 6 lbs. in the 2 months following his second birthday - Eskies do gain weight easily - and my husband was the major culprit. 6 lbs. excess on a dog that should weigh 22 lbs. is excessive and it sure was the devil to lose. My husband, who doesn't gain weight - had several items removed from his food choices!

geisha
January 22nd, 2008, 07:57 PM
Unfortunately my senior samoyed is allergic to Chicken and that's why she is on fish. She did loose excess weight on the fish. Yesterday morning and this am I gave her some raw elk patties along with kibble in the pm and her poops were much better. I guess I'll just fork over the extra $$ and give her what she does best on.

geisha
January 28th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Okay, so a followup to my last post. Last week I started Rose on raw Turkey and so far no itchies, and her poop situation is better. So...it's raw in the am and kibble in the pm.

want4rain
January 28th, 2008, 01:07 PM
also, have you tried RAW chicken?? many animals seem to ahve allergies or intolerances to the cooekd form but not the raw form (and vice versa)

-ash

MerlinsHope
January 28th, 2008, 02:50 PM
I haven't posted for awhile. I have a senior (age 13) female samoyed who is on California Natural Herring & Sweet Potato rotated with Go! Salmon & Oatmeal. I suppliment her diet with glucosamine, digestive enzymes &/or probiotics. For the past few months she has 3 large stools a day at least. It looks like she poops more than what I feed her which is 2 cups/day. Does anyone else have this problem? Other than this she is active, healthy, and thriving. Her weight is just right. Any suggestions?

It's remotely possible that you're over supplementing. Often, when one is feeding a premium dog food like you are mentioning, the glucosamine, enzymes and probiotics are already present in the food and by adding more externally, you could be overdoseing your dog. With foods like this, you really don't need the additional supplements. You may want to read the fine detail on the label to make sure that you are not doubling up on these supplements.

Also, seniors develop illness as time goes along and it could be a sign of simple irritated bowels, she may have picked up a bug, or is simply not digesting as well as before, etc. It could be a sign of other things. Sometimes the manufacturers change one or two ingredients, so perhaps she's reacting to that. Many of these manufacturers add stool hardners in their foods, which have come under much scrutiny lately. Maybe they've removed this type of 'hardner' from their product. It's often hard to tell, but as mentioned above, oversupplementing is often the culprit. Maybe a stool culture is in order.??

Just tossing out ideas

want4rain
January 28th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Maybe a stool culture is in order.??

my my my, the things we do for our children, furried and skinned alike. im currently awaiting a little plastic purple bead from Jeffrey and the last set of Polly Pocket rubber clothing from Hunter. i caught him as he slurped it up. there is also a possibility there is a 1/2" piece of yarn on its way out too. its blue.

-ashley

geisha
January 28th, 2008, 03:50 PM
I caught Rose eating a poopsicle yesterday. I guess she likes left overs.

I was thinking she may have some sort of irritable bowel or isn't absorbing stuff like she used to.

As far as oversupplimentation if I give her too much glucosamine she lets me know so she only gets 1/2 tab or 250 mg per day. The probiotics or digestive enzymes are to firm up her stool. She isn't overfed because she is at her ideal weight.
So...I think for now what I'm doing is fine for her. The vet says to carry on.

Cheers

MerlinsHope
January 29th, 2008, 05:58 AM
I caught Rose eating a poopsicle yesterday. I guess she likes left overs.

Ouch! That would certainly give her a 'bug' or two.

I give her too much glucosamine she lets me know

I'm very curious. How does she let you know?

The probiotics or digestive enzymes are to firm up her stool. She isn't overfed

Probiotics, and digestive enzymes, do not cause firm stools. I don't know where you got that information from, but that is not quite correct. One is a digestive aid the other encourages bacteria growth in the gut. Digesting food better does not necessarily lead to firmer stools just so you know.

Over supplementing and being over fed are two different caveats as well. I was only trying to suggest that you explore the ramifications, of over supplementing since you were the one who mentioned the large stools.

I glad to hear she's doing well.

geisha
January 29th, 2008, 06:09 PM
She gets the runs when she has greater than 250 mg of glucosamine.

When I transition/rotate her food or when she's "off" I give her digestive enzymes and they do seem to help prevent loose poo. She also seems to have better stools with probiotics especially when she was on antibiotics for "a close encounter with a porcupine" this fall.

Yeah, the poop was her own. The pet store recommended SEP from Solid Gold (stop eating poo)

geisha
January 29th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Awhile back I read that the probiotics and omegas in commercial pet food are not as effective when "baked"/ processed:shrug: and it was encouraged to suppliment the senior dogs' food bowl?

Kinguni
January 29th, 2008, 07:10 PM
The pet store recommended SEP from Solid Gold (stop eating poo)

I'd sure like to know it that works. Shabba will eat her poo the moment we turn our backs. She'll wait until we get back from a walk, want to stay outside and then run as far away in the yard as she can once I'm in the door, squat and then dine before I can get there. Right away she'll want want to come in of course, which means straight to the kennel until that poo is gone from her teeth and lips.

geisha
January 29th, 2008, 09:01 PM
In the December 2006 issue of the Whole Dog Journal they discuss this very thing. Some of the suggestions they mention include:
1. improving your dog's diet by replacing with a high protein, low carb food
2. consider giving your dog a raw diet that includes whole or ground raw bone
3. Supplement your dog's food with enzymes, probiotics, minerals, and other products that improve digestion & assimilation
4. withold hard to digest food such as carrots.
5. and finally pick up after your dog & other dogs in your area.
Good luck. I know in my household it's an ongoing issue!! Of course they want to give you a big kiss after they ingest the stuff.:yuck:

Kinguni
January 29th, 2008, 09:33 PM
In the December 2006 issue of the Whole Dog Journal they discuss this very thing. Some of the suggestions they mention include:
1. improving your dog's diet by replacing with a high protein, low carb food
2. consider giving your dog a raw diet that includes whole or ground raw bone
3. Supplement your dog's food with enzymes, probiotics, minerals, and other products that improve digestion & assimilation
4. withold hard to digest food such as carrots.
5. and finally pick up after your dog & other dogs in your area.
Good luck. I know in my household it's an ongoing issue!! Of course they want to give you a big kiss after they ingest the stuff.:yuck:

Cool. I knew most of that though. Shabba eats Orijen now, but she picked up the habit while being fed Nutro Max Puppy. She probably could have used enzymes at the time since she had been on antibiotics at the rescue shelter due to an ear infection. Carrots -she got a few of those in the fall. I think with diet and age she'll kick the habit.

Is Whole Dog Journal a worthwhile subscription?

Thanks, Ron

geisha
January 29th, 2008, 10:45 PM
I have found some valuable articles about senior dogs. This past year there have been articles on raw, & homecooked. Every year they publish their recommended dry & canned food. This usually creates some controversy for various reasons. There was a very good article on arthritis and wholistic treatments. There is usually an article on training that I can only dream of.
The recent articles on energy are not my cup of tea. Try the library first or borrow an issue from a friend. I keep referring back to my copies so I've kept past issues in a binder. They donot receive $$ from advertisers.:thumbs up