Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Food Question

Winston
January 21st, 2008, 07:58 PM
So I have been feeding Winston Orijen Dog food now for at least 6 months...Awesome food and really pleased as it solved some problems Winston has had for years! So now his coat has this white film all over it? if you are wearing black he leaves a big white spot on your clothes and it is really hard to come off?? a simple brushing off your pants and it doesnt come off? if you look at his coat it is like a fine white powder?? he has started to scratch for the past couple of days which he really hasnt done much of for months? So my question is whats up? is it the food? whats he missing? I give him yogurt once in awhile and eats some veggies..No table scraps..

I was thinking if I added an egg to his dinner would that help him with his coat and the dry skin?

Cindy

Tommysmom
January 21st, 2008, 08:05 PM
I've been noticing on quite a few message boards (sorry - I'm a message board addict and read tons of other ones, but I only really post here!) that people are reporting problems with fur after being on Orijen for a few months - shedding, losing patches, dandruff, all kinds of stuff. I haven't noticed anything with Tommy since he's been on it, but then he's a terrier and sheds like a fiend and has wiry hair anyway so I'm not sure I'd be able to tell, lol.

It just seems to be coming up for discussion over and over again... I wonder if there's something missing and/or something in the formula causing issues?

We used to allllllways add a raw egg to our dogs' dinner to help their coats when I was growing up, and it always did wonders for them... mind you, that was back when Gravy Train was considered a good dog food, so maybe we just didn't know what we were doing:shrug::laughing:.

luckypenny
January 21st, 2008, 08:52 PM
Tommysmom, have you noticed by any chance the locations members of other boards that you peruse are posting from? I'm wondering if this just correlates to the colder weather and increase in indoor heating :shrug: .

Winston, it sounds to me like the powdery stuff is just fine dander. I don't see how an egg every now and then would hurt, but I'd be more prone to supplement with oils such as safflower or coconut.

Tommysmom
January 21st, 2008, 08:54 PM
Hmmm... you know, I never thought of that. I'm going to surf around and see, because that would make a TON of sense - heck, my own skin gets dry and icky this time of year, so dogs would feel the effect too. I'm going to check it out and see if that's the case.

Ok, I checked a few profiles... a bunch of them are in cold areas, so that could be the reason, but others aren't, and some don't say. Compared to the number of people who say they're feeding Orijen, it seems to be a small percentage, so I wonder if some doggies just don't do well on it?

luckypenny
January 21st, 2008, 09:11 PM
I forgot to add...Winston, perhaps if you add a humidifier to your home (if you don't already have one) it may help with his dry skin as well. Not only is it drier indoors with the heating, but I'm finding with this excessively cold weather, it's much drier outdoors as well.

Winston
January 21st, 2008, 09:14 PM
LP I do have the pure coconut oil but I honestly have to say I am not faithful in giving it to him all the time. I guess when I first started I didnt really notice an improvement and became lazy with it...maybe I will start him back on that again and see what happens?? I tired it for about a month before and didnt notice a difference in his coat...mind you he didnt have this dander back then. The saffron oil how often do you give that?

Cindy

luckypenny
January 21st, 2008, 09:20 PM
Hmmm... you know, I never thought of that.

I was just fishing :shrug: .

Ok, I checked a few profiles... a bunch of them are in cold areas, so that could be the reason, but others aren't, and some don't say. Compared to the number of people who say they're feeding Orijen, it seems to be a small percentage, so I wonder if some doggies just don't do well on it?

I guess it could be a number of things. Perhaps those that don't live in colder climates live in drier climates :D ??? And you're certainly right, not every dog does well with any one particular food. It would just be a shame if people start to mess around too much with their dogs diets, especially if there's nothing actually wrong with it, before ruling out all other possibilities :shrug:.

Winston
January 21st, 2008, 09:23 PM
I would not want to change his food now really, because it has solved so many other problems we had before..we are finding it a bit dry in the house lately so maybe a humidifier will help..I think we have one on the furnace but maybe I need to add another.

Frenchy
January 21st, 2008, 09:26 PM
I'm wondering if this just correlates to the colder weather and increase in indoor heating :shrug: .

That's what I thought too. Bailey's fur has been "blah" for about a week now so I started to feed him raw eggs and sardines , one of the 2 once a day.
I was just fishing :shrug: .

But it's -30*C outside :eek: :p

:sorry: couldn't help myself. I'll leave now. :o

luckypenny
January 21st, 2008, 09:28 PM
I give about a 1 1/2 tablespoons of organic safflower oil per day (must be kept in the fridge once opened to avoid it going rancid) during the colder months and only 1/2 tbsp during warmer weather. As with anything, start with a smaller amount and gradually increase it. Perhaps if you try both oils and a humidifier, you may notice a difference more quickly.

I wanted to add, we also don't bathe our dogs during the winter either. Just rolling around in the snow keeps them nice and clean.

Winston
January 21st, 2008, 09:29 PM
Winston might get a couple of baths a yr but usually in warm months..

Cindy

luckypenny
January 21st, 2008, 09:33 PM
That's what I thought too. Bailey's fur has been "blah" for about a week now so I started to feed him raw eggs and sardines , one of the 2 once a day.

If you're feeding the canned sardines, the oil they're packed in helps as well :thumbs up . We feed both raw and canned sardines, and eggs as well.

But it's -30*C outside :eek: :p

:sorry: couldn't help myself. I'll leave now. :o

:laughing: I could have said "ice fishing" but that wouldn't have added any sense to the saying :D .

Purpledomino
January 22nd, 2008, 08:18 AM
I feed Orijen and live in a notoriously dry area as well. I have noticed my Bullmastiff's coat to be actually softer, shinier than usual and without dander. I always have supplemented with salmon/fish oil, and had upped the dosage since the cold weather by one tablet each day. My big dogs get three in their food each day, mainly for joint issues but their coats have also looked amazing. Too bad for me though, because my hands look like a Lobster fishermans......... :yuck:

babykitten
March 1st, 2008, 07:13 PM
walking dandruff its called its common :cat::dog: in cats and dogs