Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sally and Ty(rone)

BAILEYSMUDGE
January 21st, 2008, 07:34 PM
A couple of months ago, an elderly gentleman passed away in my apartment building.... unknown to others of his passing, his two cats Sally and Ty were left alone with the owner for about two - three days; when finally, he was discovered. I managed to rescue the cats from family members (who wanted to put them into a Humane Society...they have no room) and found them a forever home.

Ok... here's the problem... the cats are still very frightened... Ty, the black one is coming around very nicely... but Sally is still hiding under the bed... frightened of any sudden noise or movement...the new forever "Mom" has all the patience needed for the job but would like some advice on how to let Sally know she's her friend.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

loopoo
January 21st, 2008, 07:56 PM
it takes time... all kitties are different. One of my mothers cats.. took the poor guy a year to really come around, but he is a snuggle bug now. Most importantly, as long as she is eating, drinking, peeing and pooping, and being loved, she will be fine i think. Cats are so sensitive to any new surroundings, and changes of territory. For the one kitty being under that bed may be the safe place for her now, perhaps placing her food dish, and litter closer by for the interim may help.

Frenchy
January 21st, 2008, 08:43 PM
it takes time... all kitties are different.

I second that, all we can do with cats is to be patient ... and loving. :cat:

Winston
January 21st, 2008, 09:27 PM
My 2 were rescued from someone feeding the litter to a boa constrictor..I rescued the only 2 left in the litter and my male Bomber tooko almost 9 months to come around...each one is different...his sister Tabitha rules the roost here! even Winston the dog weighing in over 100 lbs is afraid of little miss 6 plbs!

Cindy

badger
January 21st, 2008, 09:53 PM
I agree patience is the key. Your friend is doing everything right, just by letting her set her own pace, but never missing the opportunity to speak quietly to her or pat her on the head and around the ears. And yes, move the dishes closer. Some cats are just tempermentally more fearful. If the other is coming along quicker, that will help.
I'd also feed the same food for now. If your friend wants to switch to another brand, do it later.
Bless you both for making sure they weren't forgotten.

sugarcatmom
January 21st, 2008, 09:56 PM
Can you print out some of the tips in this post for the cat's mom?: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=45806 Or maybe send her this link: http://www.meowfoundation.com/ourcats/shycats/shyintro.html#tips

growler~GateKeeper
January 22nd, 2008, 01:00 AM
One way to help Sally adjust to her new mom is by hearing her voice. If she talks softly to her while she is entering the room (if she hears her coming she won't be startled by her suddenly talking in the room), about anything - doesn't matter what: weather, sports work, reading a book - this will show Sally that mom is not going to hurt her.

Sitting on the floor & petting Ty where Sally can see this will also show her it's okay.

Even just lying on the floor looking @ the ceiling or wall opposite the bed (facing away) shows Sally non-threatening body language & may prompt her to come have a sniff & see what the silly human is doing :D

BAILEYSMUDGE
January 22nd, 2008, 11:11 AM
Thank you all for the input.... Gosh! This is a great forum. :lovestruck: Ty is fine but Sally is the shy one. Sally does come out for a good scratch and petting when things are quiet and I think that's promising. Plus they're in a "house" now where they were in a tiny apartment before. I totally trust the new Mom to do the right thing. Thanx for the websites...I'll pass those on to her.:highfive: