Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need To Borrow Trap For Cat (Scarborough Area)

Luba
January 21st, 2008, 01:14 PM
Anyone out there have a humane trap I can borrow for awhile? I am having a hard time catching a stray cat in my area. I've been feeding the little bud for quite a long time but can't catch him with my set up contraption and need a trap. Kitty's definately being dominated by some of the other cats in the neighbourhood. I've seen them run em off and he cries. Actually I don't know if male/female.

Animal services no longer rents them and they suggested a rental type company but I'd be paying a lot of :2cents: to rent for them if it takes me weeks to catch this one.

So if you live in the Scarborough area and have a trap for me to use I'd be so appreciative, post me here or send me a pm if you please.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a184/LubaSadie/DSCF0001.jpg

Luba
January 21st, 2008, 06:48 PM
Oh and if you do, I'll be sure to throw in a little baked goodie for you in appreciation.

dmc123
January 21st, 2008, 08:45 PM
I wish you were closer, would sure lend you mine. I bought it when I needed to trap Tilly. Didn't pay more that 45.00 us dollars, if I remember right.

Wish you the best of luck.

Diane

Winston
January 21st, 2008, 09:20 PM
Have you tried the SPCA? I thought someone mentioned you can get them through their office? not 100% sure ...In Hamilton Animal Control and the SPCA are different. Is that the sweetie in the picture?

Cindy

Luba
January 22nd, 2008, 06:02 PM
Hey I have some good news, someone that does cat rescue may be able to loan me one. I'll post an update as soon as one comes up.

Yes that's the adorable kitty. The SPCA won't loan them out here and neither will animal services any longer. They both suggested renting them from a rental service and well I'd be paying through the nose which I don't have at the moment.

Kitty came real close to me last night and goes in the cage I have set up but it's just not big enough to get him and his rump and back end in so I can shut the door. Very quickly took a piece of chicken from my hand last night.

I dunno what I'll do with him when I get him but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. I'll first see if he's chipped or if anyone's looking for him. I already posted him as found stray on a couple of places just incase...hmmm I should put him on here too LOL I am such a dunce.

I"ll be darn right p'd off if this is someone's cat that they let out all day / night though. No collar either.

clm
January 23rd, 2008, 07:33 AM
He looks in awfully good condition weight and coat wise to be a stray. No collar doesn't mean he doesn't belong to someone. A lot of cats can come and go as they please at home. I wonder if you'll see someone out looking for him after you trap him.
I have a tabby that looks quite a bit like him that comes to eat the food I put out for the strays but I know he belongs to a house up the street.

Cindy

chico2
January 23rd, 2008, 08:12 AM
Luba what a pretty cat,I just hate to see a cat outside,at least this one has food to keep his tummy warm:thumbs up
Our HS would lend me a trap,but I suppose where you are it's busier.
Your kitty looks like a male,I would guess in tact,by his yowls,but I could be wrong of course(it happens:laughing:)You would easily see if his"thingys"are still there though,can't miss them if they are:cat:
If it's a female in tact,that could be the reason she's chased:sad:
I hope these people were able to help,what you do after you catch him,I have no idea,but you are a kitty:angel2:for sure Good Luck!!

Love4himies
January 23rd, 2008, 12:20 PM
Your kitty looks like a male,I would guess in tact,by his yowls,but I could be wrong of course(it happens:laughing:)You would easily see if his"thingys"are still there though,can't miss them if they are:cat:
If it's a female in tact,that could be the reason she's chased:sad:
I!

That's what I thought when I saw the picture, an intact male.

Luba
January 23rd, 2008, 07:08 PM
Yes I do think it's a boy boy with dingles (lol) because I visually saw him spray my front steps (phew) last night.

Well I've had a lovely offer from a rescue who will help with with lending a trap and then I was told today they will pay for the cost of neuter. I don't know if someone owns him but they're obviously irresponsible, he's been out during these frigid temperatures and no collar, obviously now he's intact right as he's spraying. So, hopefully the rescue will help me to get him neutered. He'll be fed until he's trapped and then snip snip I guess.

I hate to see him out there every night in the cold he's been doing this weird blinking squinting thing with his eyes and they're very watery too.

If anyone has any suggestions other then what I've said pls let me know.

clm
January 23rd, 2008, 09:47 PM
[QUOTE=Luba;536202]Yes I do think it's a boy boy with dingles (lol) because I visually saw him spray my front steps (phew) last night.

QUOTE]

A neutered male cat will also spray. My big indoor/outdoor male sprays his territory (my shrubs and car tires ) :yuck: all the time. The urine odor isn't nearly as strong as an intact male though. Trick is usually to get them fixed before they start to spray. Neutering after the behaviour has started may or may not stop them from doing it.

Cindy

Luba
January 23rd, 2008, 09:52 PM
Oh really thats' true? I was told by a few that neutered males don't spray. I am so duh on cat stuff so any advise is just that much more appreciated.

There's no easy way to look to see if this boy's intact, how the heck am I gonna accomplish that one? I'd hate like heck to trap someones cat but then again I feel so badly for him being outside all of the time especially in the cold.

clm
January 23rd, 2008, 10:09 PM
Oh really thats' true? I was told by a few that neutered males don't spray. I am so duh on cat stuff so any advise is just that much more appreciated.

There's no easy way to look to see if this boy's intact, how the heck am I gonna accomplish that one? I'd hate like heck to trap someones cat but then again I feel so badly for him being outside all of the time especially in the cold.

My guy must have been neutered after he was sexually mature. I didn't want to take any chances when he adopted me and I had the vet check to be sure he had been neutered and he had. Stops him from wandering looking for mates, but it doesn't stop him from defending his territory, although he's not as scrappy as he would be if he weren't fixed.
I don't blame you for feeling bad about the poor kitty outside.

Cindy

chico2
January 24th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Yes,for sure neutered males spray,females will spray too at times.
All three of mine spray when we are outside,take turns in the same spots:laughing:and up until I got Feliway diffusers Rocky sprayed inside to.
When he walks away from you,the "thingys"should be clearly visible,he does not seem to be longhaired.
It would be great if you found a rescue to help out:cat:
If he has owners,who might be looking for him,why not put up cat found posters and if they contact you they can pick him up at the rescue.
Judging by how my cats react to the cold when we take them out,NO cats should be out there 24/7:sad:

14+kitties
January 24th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Wow! I am feeling so guilty cause my babies won't go inside. :sad: :laughing::laughing:
Not really. I can't get the little beggars to stay in. I have even tried blocking their cat door with something so they will stay in and be warm but they push at it till they can squeeze by. Silly things.
Have you managed to round up a trap yet Luba? I have my neighbours here and he will probably want it back soon to trap coons. They go after his cedar shakes on his roof. I will probably need to look into getting one myself.

chico2
January 24th, 2008, 05:20 PM
14+,oh no,you are doing a great thing and you know it:laughing:I don't mean your kitties.
Good Luck Luba:pray:

Luba
January 24th, 2008, 06:15 PM
There has been a little snag/road bump.

I was thinking of doing the poster thing... but doing it now. I have a couple pictures of him and I was wondering what you all thought if I put a poster/picture of him up and said 'is this your cat, please call' and leave my number. Then if someone does own him in the neighbourhood I'll know more of the story ? What do you think?

Thanks for all the cat help and advise. I'm a learning and this little guy is growing on me. I have another picture of him from today. I know another of my neighbours puts out some dry food for him from time to time. I see him out there all the time, today was the first time he actually came to me when I called him. He was across the street sitting on a concrete sill of my neighbours because the sun was shining there. So when I called he came and I propped the screen door open and he came to the door to eat, was really nervous and kept running out but managed to get a few gulps in before he took off.

I have to put Sadie in a bedroom and close the door while I do this and for the first time I heard her howling, she was really mad with me. (for those who don't know me Sadie is my 4yr old collie rescue from Rosies' in Montreal)

Here's Kitty:

14+kitties
January 24th, 2008, 06:28 PM
He is such a doll. Adorable. And very well fed too. Thanks for looking after him so well. Are you sure he is a he yet?

Luba
January 24th, 2008, 06:39 PM
I have no clue if he's a he or a she. He/she won't let me get near enough to have a 'closer' look. I just seen the but up against a shrub and I'm assuming a spray. But other then that, this cutie is so gentle too.

So should I put some posters up with his picture and say 'is this your cat' and leave my number? So if it is someone' cat they can call me? What do you think?

After he ran out I moved the food and towel right beside the heat register and he came back in and got warm while eating.

Does he look fat to you? I wonder how many people are feeding him :D

CearaQC
January 24th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Ok that is a prime area for capturing if you are brave enough.

Tie something to the door handle. Wait until kitty is chowing down then close the door via string/wire. Have some blankets handy to capture him, maybe some heavy duty gloves just in case.

14+kitties
January 24th, 2008, 06:59 PM
In the picture where he/she is looking head on he looks very well fed. I love that little moustache he has. :cloud9: I hate to say it but in the last pic I don't know if it's the angle or not.........he/she looks pregnant. Probably just the angle.
How close are you to your neighbours? Maybe one of them know where he/she is from. Chances are if you put posters up someone will know. I am stumped. If he belongs to someone they sure don't deserve him! :sad:

chico2
January 25th, 2008, 08:07 AM
Aww Luba what a sweetie,his/her face looks kind of girlie,but you never know.
I too thought of the possibility it might be a pregnant female:sad:he/she looks a little chunky:confused:
I think putting up a poster is a good idea,hopefully someone will response.
It's bitingly cold outside here -13C,poor kitties:sad:
You know what we also need,a pic of Sadie,I have not seen her for a looong time:dog:

SnowDancer
January 25th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Luba, A couple of years ago there was a very sleek black cat that used to roam the neighbourhood and hold hid own. Then one day I started to notice that he wasn't looking quite as sleek and he had started to eat the food that I was putting out for another suspected stray. The first stray disappeared while I was trying to do something about him/her but the second cat kept reappearing. In the meantime, many of the other allowed-to-roam cats with homes started to come and eat the food that I was putting out - and as the sleek kitty started to look really rough I did a bit of investigating - kind of hard when the neighbours aren't friendly - but finally determined that the family that owned him had moved and left him behind. As he deterioriated so did his position within the other cats on the street - and one day he was missing the end of his tail. Just to make things worse, the raccoons started to join in the food fest. So I stopped putting out the food and started watching for this poor little guy. He started to appear at the door when my husband took out our dog at 5:15 a.m. so he was fed and then he would come back at about 7:00 - eat and run. Then one day we were all out and not there at 7:00 - when we got home and 8:00 p.m. he cried at the door so we fed him - but again he ran. So I planned to grab him on a weekend when he typically came later for his food - go figure - and was getting no where. Finally I saw him at the crack of dawn one Sat. morning being chased up a tree by a big mean looking cat - so I got out the step stool (no ladder) and in my nightgown and housecoat I went to get him. Since we had a dog and cat in the house I had to take him to the vet's in case of illness - my vet expected a feral cat to come charging out, but instead he was an angel - guess the single feedings brought out the best in him. He was there a week -you can imagine the bill - and then of course moved in with us and never went out again. I hope that your situation resolves itself.

Luba
January 27th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Hey I didn't even know there were more posts here it didnt come up new to me. Sorry guys. Big hugs!

I am wondering the same thing about being pregnant. I tell you why... there was some slowing down of walking the last few days and well the last TWO days I have not seen this cat AT ALL.

I too am wondering like what you said if this is a female about to give birth. Oh no Oh Lord...and if it is I wouldn't know where the kittens would be.

Today is day 3 so far havent' seen this cat and I keep putting food out and warming it and the water up several times a day. Another little black cat came and I fed that too.

I have a string thingy attached to the door ready to pull. I just have to sit there 24/7 waiting LMHO which I try my best to do but it's really damn cold out and cold by the drafty door but I try.

That's a really cute story Snow Dancer about that cat... I love that you got him down from the tree.

I am going to go look out a little more for this one.... gonna go sit and wait again by the door. he/she was coming every day at the same time then poof just stopped.

I hope it's just a chubber and not a pregger.

14+kitties
January 27th, 2008, 11:09 PM
I have all my :fingerscr and toes and whatever else can be crossed, crossed. I really hope he is a he and not a she. There is no way kittens could survive in these temps.
I am sending lots of good vibes. Let's hope the kitty shows up soon.

clm
January 27th, 2008, 11:22 PM
If you are her main food source, she won't have given birth far from you. Next time you're out, look around at sheltered spots, under evergreen shrubs, behind sheds. You'll hear the kittens before you see them.

Let's hope it's not a she anyway. If he's an intact male, he may just be off on a mating romp, if that's the case he'll be gone for 3 to 5 days.

Cindy

Luba
January 27th, 2008, 11:35 PM
The 3 to 5 day romp LOL

My dog would find the kittens quicker then I would and so would the raccoons around here and the other cats. What would other cats do to kittens that aren't theirs? At night I see sometimes 6/7 different kitties roaming around.

Luba
January 28th, 2008, 12:18 AM
Kitty was just here. I am so excited, I was so so worried.

But just now kitty came. :thumbs up

Starving too, I had one bowl of food out and ate that lickity split then looked at me for more. This time didn't want to even come near the door to come inside, so I put more out. Then looked at me for 'more'. Had chicken rice and carrots and enjoyed it thoroughly.

New scratch on nose, musta been in a fight or something. I wish I knew if it was male or female. Was more leery of me this time, strange. But now has a full tummy atleast. Food was even warm too.

Probably a no no but I also gave some cheese :cat: only a little.

badger
January 28th, 2008, 12:37 AM
From the size, I think it's more likely a boy, and a very well-fed one at that!

I've started putting out 'stew' instead of separate bowls of kibble and water, much less of a hassle in winter. The base is a bit of canned, kibble and hot water. Then I throw in anything else that might interest and/or provide more calories - a bit of oil, an egg, cooked chicken, chicken broth, a tablespoon of cream, whatever's around.
But there's still the 'timing', since a bowl of 'stew' can freeze almost as fast as a bowl of water :yell:.

Luba
January 28th, 2008, 01:03 AM
No kidding everything freezes constantly. I have to bring it in and warm it up several times a day and also the water.

He/she gets some good food from me, chicken, rice, smashed carrots and potato, salmon, sardines mostly. Not partial to beef but will eat it if nothing else is there.

I'm happy that the raccoons aren't around and are sorta tucked away because in the spring I feed the mama and babies when they come around (peanuts) I wouldn't want them on my porch or they'd also want in the house.

If this guy does have a home, would it most likely be within a couple blocks of my house you think? I'm still thinking about putting posters up with his picture on them.

badger
January 28th, 2008, 01:42 AM
I'd put up some posters but not with his picture. Just 'cat found'. It might mean a few extra calls, but it weeds out the idiots and ghouls right off the top.

Or he could be one of those 'half-strays', in which case you won't hear because his owner, if he has one, doesn't consider him lost, even if s/he only sees him occasionally. I rescued a cat once whose 'family' lived across the street. Even in the dead of winter, they would let him out (because he 'liked going outside') and he had no way of getting back in. When he got sick, I had to take him over there and point it out, the woman was completely clueless (although to be fair, she did take him to the vet). I let this state of affairs go on far too long - mea culpa - but finally I just :censored: took him in, without informing her, and had him neutered. He was full of worms, poor baby. She could've cared less, never looked for him.

Luba
January 28th, 2008, 02:31 AM
What happened when you brought him back, did you ever tell her that he'd been neutered? I bet they never figured it out if you didn't. Did you also get him dewormed? People are just disgusting sometimes aren't they.

See that's what think this cat may be 'half stray' as you put it. There is another that is almost identical to the one I pictured here. That one doesn't come as often but when t does, it's not far behind this one (I do feed them both) and I think maybe they were litter mates and could live together in the same house...pehaps. All of this is speculation of course. But these cats have been outside during the most horrible winter storms and frigid cold. ...so even if they (he/she) does have a home it's nothing I'd truly call 'home'.

clm
January 28th, 2008, 07:40 AM
My big indoor/outdoor guy has insisted on spending most of this winter outside. He sticks close to home and uses the cat houses I've got around the front and back yards in nice sheltered spots a lot, but I've only managed to keep the big dummy in for very short periods. Even during those really cold spells, 30 minutes is the most I've been able to get him to stay in for. If he's not well, he'll come in and stay in for days until he's feeling back up to snuff, but otherwise he doesn't want to be confined inside a house. He adopted me as a stray quite a few years ago now, so I let him live his life and come and go on his terms. Other than the yearly trip to the vet where I have to confine him the night before, otherwise he mysteriously disappears and halloween night of course. Those occasions he has no choice in the matter.

Cindy

chico2
January 28th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Luba,:pray:the cat is not female and not preggers:pray:
There are several cats outdoors across the street from me,in a townhouse-complex.
2 beautiful longhaired black/white cats are let out every morning,when the people leave for work and school.
Little did they know,the cats sit by the door all day and wait:yell:snow,rain,cold,they just sit there..
I beeing nosy,told the owners of this,I just hate to see them out there,but it did not help.:yell:
My own cats go out with hubby every day,even on really cold days,but are back inside in a minute after they find out it's still not summer:cat:
I forgot to take the peanuts in last night,that i leave for the Squirrels and judging by the mess,raccoons probably visited..
I don't look out,if I do and see the Raccoons I just have to feed them,don't want to start that again,at one point a couple of years back,I had 18 coons here:yell:

badger
January 28th, 2008, 09:48 AM
What happened when you brought him back, did you ever tell her that he'd been neutered? I bet they never figured it out if you didn't. Did you also get him dewormed? People are just disgusting sometimes aren't they.

Oh, he never went back and I said nothing. A few months later, she moved out of the neighbourhood. Of course he was treated for the worms (quite disgusting) and then got a salivary cyst under his tongue and had to have surgery. Eventually, he found a home with a very nice woman, who fell in love with his picture on the internet.

Here he is, sweet Willy Wonka:

CearaQC
January 28th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Maybe if waiting for the string on the door, try a tasty buffet trail of food that leads to some mega tasty food inside the door.

Too bad it's winter, or that would be a super plan. Just have to outsmart the bugger somehow.

Luba
January 28th, 2008, 02:03 PM
It's so nice to see such other caring people out there. I love the story of Willy and the picture well I can see why he got a home.

Anita I feed the raccoons peanuts :clown: And I sent them to your place for seconds.

Cindy, your big guy seems to have that need to be wild and free huh!

Today I saw my neighbour across the way feeding him and I called her, we spoke about him. She's been feeding him for months so that's why he's healthy looking (plumpish) because we both are feeding him well.

He just had a big helping over at her place and he'll probably come over here later on. hahhah oinker!

chico2
January 28th, 2008, 04:37 PM
:laughing:did you find out if he's a girl or boy??
He'll probably eat whatever he can,not knowing if he'll be fed tomorrow.
My Vinnie,who was found on the street,still eats as if it was his last meal,unfortunately,a little chubb:cat:

We had sooo much fun over the years feeding the raccoons,we fed them peanuts too.
The babies in the spring are just adorable.
I could never just stop feeding them,I could not handle seeing them coming here for food and there is none,but after we went on holiday for 2 weeks,they stopped coming..
I have a little box for the squirrels where I put the peanuts and sometimes they don't eat them all.

chico2
January 28th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Badger,Willy is so pretty,it was definetly his lucky day when you came along:thumbs up
Some people just do not deserve the love of an animal:cat: