Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sneezing Cat With Watery Eyes

chefonthego
January 21st, 2008, 02:32 AM
11 year Old Long Haired Cat, NEVER goes outside, Indoor cat only. Started Sneezing a bunch Yesterday & Today I noticed runny eyes, & Still Sneezing.
I'm Tight on $$$ ,so is a trip to the Vet Necesary? is there anything I can do?
is it a cold & will go away??? any Help is appreicated

Love4himies
January 21st, 2008, 07:19 AM
Sneezing with a discharge and discharge from the eyes is indicative of an upper resp infection and will need antibiotics from your vet. The longer left untreated, the worse it will get.

Jim Hall
January 21st, 2008, 09:23 AM
could be an alllergy a viral infection or a bacterial infection

Keep him/her warm and makes sure he gets pelenty of fluids

some cat vitamns wouldnt hurt

The troulble with cats are that some can go downhill real fast with a URI
espciallyy the flat faced breeds .
good luck and work on that vet visit .or at least call them for some tips

rainbow
January 21st, 2008, 02:58 PM
I would try to get your cat to the vet asap as well. As mentioned by Love4himies, the longer a URI goes untreated the worse it will get. Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

phoozles
January 21st, 2008, 04:36 PM
The watery eyes sounds to me like your cat has an FHV (Feline Herpes Virus) outbreak - it's usually caused by stress, or a change in the environment.

It definitely doesn't hurt to get a check up - I know that with FHV it will clear up on it's own, your vet will probably prescribe some meds to help out your kitty with some L-Lysine and/or some Clavamox. If it's a different URI it will need to be treated - so getting it checked out to be sure is always a good idea.

Good luck at the vet and keep us posted!

chefonthego
January 24th, 2008, 04:45 AM
It seems to be getting better, not sneezing as much now , & no More watery eyes, but still worried, do ya think it will clear up on it own?

Love4himies
January 24th, 2008, 07:24 AM
Are the fluids still clear and is she/he eating fine? If so and the sneezing is lessening then I think she may be fine, but I would still be taking my cat to the vet just to make sure.

phoozles
January 24th, 2008, 12:15 PM
It seems to be getting better, not sneezing as much now , & no More watery eyes, but still worried, do ya think it will clear up on it own?

There is a chance - but if you are worried - it's best to just take her to the vet to ease your own mind. You never know for sure until you check.