Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Random Thoughts And Questions

loopoo
January 20th, 2008, 10:55 PM
I dont post near as much as i should, but real life has been a humdinger..all the animals here are beautiful, and after reading so many posts, some make me mad, some very sad, my last stop is all the pictures of all the beautiful creatures, owned, rescues, these always make me smile.

so random questions... feel free to answer, or not, these have just been on my mind from time to time.

why are so many animals stricken with cancer?? Especially with the owners that feed well, exercise, supplement. This one boggles my mind.. humans i can as we make choices sometimes that are not the healthiest, but dogs and cats? :confused: everytime i read a post about another that is stricken is makes me so sad.

How much exercise do you all give your dogs a day? i know this one has been covered... somewhere, but i always wonder if i give mine enough.. about a couple hours a day, split with fetch, running, and walks. Then there is my cat who has fits if i dont play with her ball or laser light.

Why dont they have all those great foods like Orijen, and a couple of other Canadian brands that i cant think of here in the usa, well okay here in Phoenix :frustrated:

Why dont the senators of every state get more involved and demand a spay/neuter policy for pet owners, okay that is a loaded one I know some breed.. i spend time when i am not working trying to get so many animals that are too be euthanized out to fosters, or in contact with with shelters, rescues that will save them, and of course cant always, so this question always leaves me :wall:

Okay and on a lighter note

how did the name CUZ come about?

what is the maximum number of balls your pup has held and managed to retrieve in their mouths? mine almost has had 3:)

is it just my imagination or do dogs snuggle up really close to you before they let a ripper go? mine does, then he almost smiles.

Yeah, okay, thanks for listening, just a few thoughts from an old brain, and I have some time to post.

Lastly, this is an amazing forum, so nice to see people that really care and take the time to respond as you all do, to the good, the bad, and the ugly.

luckypenny
January 20th, 2008, 11:23 PM
...why are so many animals stricken with cancer?? Especially with the owners that feed well, exercise, supplement. This one boggles my mind.. humans i can as we make choices sometimes that are not the healthiest, but dogs and cats? everytime i read a post about another that is stricken is makes me so sad.

I wish I had the answer to this one too.

How much exercise do you all give your dogs a day? i know this one has been covered... somewhere, but i always wonder if i give mine enough.. about a couple hours a day, split with fetch, running, and walks. Then there is my cat who has fits if i dont play with her ball or laser light.

Sounds like enough to me but I guess it depends on their energy levels. Ours get between 4-5 hours on an average day. They mostly keep themselves entertained by playing, chasing, wrestling with each other (supervised because there's only so much running I can do and I refuse to wrestle with them...my teeth are not as sharp and my coat not so thick :D). Approx. an hour or two of walking and 30 mins or so of running as I cycle, weather permitting.

Why dont the senators of every state get more involved and demand a spay/neuter policy for pet owners...

:shrug: :sad: :frustrated: :wall: :sad:

Okay and on a lighter note

how did the name CUZ come about?

No idea but please let us know when you find out :D.

what is the maximum number of balls your pup has held and managed to retrieve in their mouths? mine almost has had 3:)

1 large and 1 medium size Cuz. And that would be Penny cuz she's the toy hog around here :D .

is it just my imagination or do dogs snuggle up really close to you before they let a ripper go? mine does, then he almost smiles.

:laughing:

Lastly, this is an amazing forum, so nice to see people that really care and take the time to respond ...

I second that :) .

Btw, is Prescott anywhere near Phoenix :o ?

loopoo
January 20th, 2008, 11:29 PM
I believe that Prescott is about an hour and a half to a two hour drive north from Phoenix. weather is a bit milder, easier, not the extreme heat you have in the summer months, a tad cooler in the winter months, really nice.

snoopymjm
January 20th, 2008, 11:30 PM
Hi loopoo. I don't have the answers to many of your questions, especially about diet and cancer in animals. I think this is a fanstastic site for learning. Everyone is very helpful.

I'm :laughing: at your joke about your pet breaking wind and then smiling.

luckypenny
January 20th, 2008, 11:33 PM
I believe that Prescott is about an hour and a half to a two hour drive north from Phoenix. weather is a bit milder, easier, not the extreme heat you have in the summer months, a tad cooler in the winter months, really nice.

Well, if you can make the drive to stock up, you should be able to find Orijen here :) :

Harmony Veterinary Care
613 Maricopa drive
Prescott, AZ 86303

TeriM
January 20th, 2008, 11:43 PM
Wow, good questions.

My younger dog (1.5 year old lab) gets at least one hour off leash walk per day and then usually some ball playing in the house as well. My older dog (12 years) gets walked most days for about 30-45 minutes and most of that is off leash as well.

I think dogs are getting cancer for the same reasons that humans do. Most of the really good foods are actually quite recent developments. Bad food, environmental hazards and over vaccination are my guess but who really knows :shrug:. For that matter who really knows why little kids get cancers or healthy active adults drop dead from heart attacks :shrug:. I believe you just need to live YOUR best life and hope that you stay healthy :fingerscr.

Riley gets two balls easily. Lucy is usually happy with just one :D.

snoopymjm
January 20th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Why dont the senators of every state get more involved and demand a spay/neuter policy for pet owners, okay that is a loaded one I know some breed.. i spend time when i am not working trying to get so many animals that are too be euthanized out to fosters, or in contact with with shelters, rescues that will save them, and of course cant always, so this question always leaves me :wall:

I agree with you on this one. :thumbs up Why do people go to pet stores when there are so many unwanted animals at the shelter or humane society? :sad:Or, if you are looking for a particular breed, why not go through a rescue?:shrug: It should be a law to spay/neuter if you are not a breeder.