Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My cat is scared for no reason

Mittens&Lara
June 9th, 2004, 09:57 PM
My cat is 3 years old and I have had her for just over a year. She is typically a curious kitty, sweet with a laid back disposition. Yesterday, I woke up to her attacking the front window. I got up, looked, saw nothing and went back to bed. She continued to attack the corner of the window until I shooed her away from it. Now she's terrified of that area of the room. It's beginning to worry me because she is meowing more, and sitting/laying in areas where she wouldn't normally sit. She will happily come up to me when I'm in any other area of the apartment and purr and behave as normal, but if I'm sitting on the couch near that window, she becomes timid and very jumpy when she comes near. She's making me jumpy and anxious too. Does anybody have any idea why she's started to do this? My mother thinks it's because the weather has turned really warm and she's just irritable, but I don't really think that's the problem.
Lara

mona_b
June 9th, 2004, 10:02 PM
This may sound like a dumb question,but could there have been a wasp inside that she was trying to get?If so,maybe she got stung.

missingSheltie
June 9th, 2004, 10:02 PM
2 things.

what kind of cat is it, and secondly what is surrounding the window.i.e furniture..etc.

Mittens&Lara
June 9th, 2004, 10:16 PM
I checked the window while she was attacking it and saw nothing - it appeared to me that she was attacking something outside the window, but I could have been wrong. She doesn't appear to be in any pain or discomfort.

It's a sliding glass door actually. There is a couch sitting perpendicular to the window at the left end of the window. That is the corner she was attacking. There's a coffee table in front of the couch. None of the furniture has been moved in weeks, except for cleaning purposes.

Three or four weeks ago, that corner of the sliding glass window was cleaned and refinished (the frame) due to a mold problem over the winter. A strong ammonia was used to clean the area, than it was patched and repainted, all while I was at home. The cat's been fine since then, up to yesterday. She wasn't avoiding the area before - it was one of her favourite places to sit and watch the world go by.

Mittens&Lara
June 9th, 2004, 10:17 PM
She's a tabby cat.

Lucky Rescue
June 9th, 2004, 10:43 PM
Could there have been another cat out there, or have sprayed outside the door?

Try giving her treats and catnip, and get closer and closer to the door with them and see if that will get her over her fear.

Karin
June 9th, 2004, 11:34 PM
Look at it from her point of view, it could merely be her reflection.

bohemian
June 10th, 2004, 08:07 AM
I agree with Lucky (as usual).

Could have easily been another cat and by the time YOU got there the other cat took off. Outside cats love to wander around and tease the indoor cats.

Of course their lifespans are MUCH shorter so I hope your cat is an indoor cat.

Bohemian

chico2
June 10th, 2004, 08:37 AM
I think it was mentioned before,she is in an apt and unless a cat could fly,it would not be outside the patio-door :D
I don't know what a cat would be afraid of,other than another cat,the bee idea seems like a good one.My cats have been stung outside(luckily not in the mouth!) and usually only show discomfort for a few minutes,but now they are afraid,will not try catching a bee.
Since cats are very sensitive to smells,it also could be a lingering odor from refinishing the frame of the door.
If you have no other spot for her to look out the window,get her one of those shelves to hook onto a windowsill.

Lucky Rescue
June 10th, 2004, 10:21 AM
OH sorry - I thought maybe it was a ground floor apt with the sliding door!

sammiec
June 10th, 2004, 10:46 AM
My cat does very similar things!! He will walk past the sliding door, stop and then attack it... it's just his reflection. I've watched him do it a number of times, it's very humourous!!! He was scared for a little, I think he just scared himself... but now everything's fine, he just attacks himself (in the glass).
We don't have any full length mirrors, so this is the only medium that provides a reflection for him to see. I'm on the 18th floor, so there is definately no other cats out there, and he does it more frequently at night....

Princesss04
June 10th, 2004, 10:49 AM
This could not be the reason but than it could. When I was still living at home we had cat that did this but she would not go in the bathroom and she always had before so we were like what is up with this. Anyway, we looked and looked and saw nothing but she would still not go in there. We would try to put her in there and feed her in there but nothing. Than, one day my dad was in the bathtub and looked up and there was a snake that was wrapped around the shower curtin rod. We killed it and showed it to her and in a few days she was fine. I am not saying that it is but I would look! :D

sammiec
June 10th, 2004, 10:51 AM
Maybe for mittens, but where I live there are no snakes (garter snakes that all, butn ot on the 18th floor.) There's nothing there but his reflection. Mind you I haven't had difficult getting him to go back in the room

Mittens&Lara
June 10th, 2004, 04:19 PM
For sending me replies, thank you! When I was at work today, several people mentioned it might have been her reflection, however it was after dawn and I didn't think she would see her reflection at that time of day. Today, I picked her up and we ventured over to the window. She was a bit nervous at first, but stayed there as long as I was touching her. I opened up the blinds and sat with her while she had a good long look around. Although she still won't go over there unless I am there, she is settling back down (slowly) to her normal self. Someone at work suggested I had a bored ghost that decided to tease my cat :) . I think it is mst likely that it was her reflection, after all their eyes are sharper than ours. I think I will give her a few more days to settle back in, but she is definitely not as scared and jumpy as she was yesterday. I am on the third floor, so it wasn't another cat sitting outside and I hope to God I don't have any snakes in here!

Now, anyone have any thoughts on how to clip her nails (in a few days)? She hates having it done and a towel doesn't always work. I don't always have someone to help me. She wriggles and whines, then resorts to nipping. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!