Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat with blood clot/ paralysed hind legs

monster
January 20th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Hi,

My 3 yo male cat injured his paw five days ago and the prognosis was a dislocated toe. The vet anaesthetised him and reset the toe and he seemed to be recovering fine after that. Approximately 36 hours after his procedure he became restless, began crying out in pain, breathing rapidly and dragging his back legs. We thought it must be his toe causing pain so took him back to the vet the next morning. Unfortunately he has been diagnosed with a blood clot in his spine and is paralysed in the back legs. It is very painful for him.

The vet has suggested we can try treatment to attempt to remove the clot. However, the likelihood of recovery is slim (about 10%) and the chance of blood clot reoccurence is high within weeks or months. The vet also said that it is not likely a complication from the anaesthesia but more likely due to a previously undiagnosed heart condition. This is apparently quite common in young cats.

Can anybody offer me any advice about what course I should take? Either expensive treatment or euthanasia. Obviously I am devastated and do not want him to die, but don't want to prolong his pain if it is something that can't be fixed. Has anybody else had a cat that has experienced these problems? What did you do? Is there a vet online who might be able to give me their opinion on his chances of recovery and response to treatment? Is this something that was likely aggravated by the anaesthetic or the stress of his paw injury?

He is currently at the vet on painkillers and I need to decide what to do in the next few hours :(

So sad....
monster

luckypenny
January 20th, 2008, 11:03 PM
I'm sorry, I don't have any advice to offer :sad: . But I would like to say that I'm sending prayers your way for strength and courage in whatever it is you may decide to do. :grouphug:

krdahmer
January 20th, 2008, 11:08 PM
http://www.bobmckee.com/Client%20Info/Cardiac/AorticThrombi.html

http://home.online.no/~colmar/hcm_eng.html

I am so sorry you are going through all this... the above articles may be helpful. My prayers :pray: are with you and your cat. :grouphug:

TeriM
January 21st, 2008, 12:19 AM
I'm so sorry :sad:. I don't have any advice either but wanted to send some hugs of support and good wishes for you.
:grouphug::fingerscr:grouphug:

snoopymjm
January 21st, 2008, 12:35 AM
We had a Katrina stray show up after the storm sometime around October 2005. We named him Pumpkin. He was an orange tabby. Soooo sweet. We took him in, and naturally we had no idea about his history or health. He had the same problem. (paralysis) Our vet told us he had Feline Thromboembolic disease. He was throwing clots to the saddle area where the aorta separates to the femoral arteries. He at times would get such cold little paws. It was frightening. He eventually died of renal failure. We lost him in May of last year. :cry: It was traumatic for us. The vet recommended heparin or another drug, which I don't recall. He also recomended a baby aspirin every other day. I would ask about the blood thinners, but you should watch this closely as it could possibly lead to kidney failure also.

Hoping and :pray:ing the best for your precious one.

Love4himies
January 21st, 2008, 06:12 AM
I am so sorry you are going through this. Please let us know what you decide. :grouphug: and I am praying for a positive outcome.

cheribob
January 21st, 2008, 07:14 AM
Many years ago I lost my beloved 13 year old female Siamese, Toka Lin, this way. We came home to find her paralyzed. Took her to the vet only to have her pass away within 24 hours.

I am so sorry for you. Your cat is so young!:cry:

rainbow
January 21st, 2008, 02:11 PM
I'm very sorry to hear what you and your kitty are going through. :sad: :grouphug: Just wanted to send some support and good luck your way. :pray: :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

monster
January 21st, 2008, 05:43 PM
Yesterday we had reached the awful decision to get our boy euthanased and went into the vet prepared to say goodbye. However we got a glimmer of hope when the vet told us that the paralysis is not as severe as is normally seen in these cases, and he still has movement and warmth in the tops of his legs. She had been unable to detect any serious heart conditions or other complications and he had not deteriorated. He was alert and while a bit uncomfortable, was not in any pain.

Kimba is still at the vet now and we have decided to try heparin treatment. This will prevent the clot from getting worse and hopefully it will dissolve. If a pulse returns to his feet and they begin to get warmer, that is a good sign. Obviously if he does not improve the humane option is to put him to sleep. We have our fingers crossed.

I have been reading about other peoples experiences with saddle thrombosis (blood clot blocking the hind legs) online and unfortunately the outcome is not very good. Most cats that survive this first experience are dead within a year. Although I have also heard that this can very rarely but sometimes be a one-off freakish occurence and not a consequence of a serious underlying heart condition. Please, please, please I am hoping this is the case. :pray:

krdahmer
January 21st, 2008, 10:58 PM
:pray: it's just a freakish occurence and this med will work! :goodvibes: :grouphug:

Luba
January 22nd, 2008, 12:13 AM
Oh dear I am so sorry for what is happening. Can you discuss with the vet the possibility of seeing a specialist who may have some more tricks up their sleeve. It would be a good idea to consult a specialist if need be before making that horrible decision.
Sending you pawsitive thoughts and prayers.
Be well soon Kimba everyone is working hard to make you well again.

hazelrunpack
January 22nd, 2008, 08:58 AM
:goodvibes: and :fingerscr that the heparin does the trick for Kimba with no relapses! Did the vet know about how long it might be before you see results, monster?

Love4himies
January 22nd, 2008, 11:03 AM
I hope this was an isolated incident and Kimba makes a full recovery. I can just imagine how difficult this must be on you.

rainbow
January 22nd, 2008, 01:00 PM
I hope the heparin treatment works for Kimba and the clot dissolves. :pray: :fingerscr :goodvibes: Does he need to stay at the vet until it does? Hugs for you. :grouphug:

Love4himies
January 23rd, 2008, 08:37 AM
Any updates? How is Kimba doing?

monster
January 23rd, 2008, 09:17 PM
Thanks for all your kind wishes!! They might have worked:thumbs up

Kimba has been at the vet since Monday and tomorrow I get to bring him home! His condition has improved with the heparin treatment and he is alert, eating, going to the toilet and trying his best to get around. Unfortunately he is still just dragging his back legs, but his left paw is warm again meaning that blood is flowing through. While his right paw is still cold to the touch, it is not ice cold which is a good sign that he is still getting a small amount of blood through to the toes. This is a great sign! Obviously the whole process of regaining nerve function and recovering the use of his limbs is going to take several weeks, but the vet is confident that he will improve.

We are still not sure what exactly caused this incident, whether it is from a heart condition or other ailment. A few tests such as a heart ultrasound and urine test will hopefully answer some of these questions. Then it is a matter of putting him on the right treatment to prevent or delay another blood clot. I've heard a lot of cats will still go on to experience more blood clots following a succesful recovery, despite medication, but if it means he gets to enjoy another year or two of life then I am happy.

krdahmer
January 23rd, 2008, 11:00 PM
He is staying in my :pray:s! I hope he only gets better from here and that he has many many years left!:pray: :goodvibes:

Love4himies
January 24th, 2008, 06:06 AM
Glad to hear he is still hanging on and thank you for keeping us updated. Any idea when he will be going for the ultrasound??

rcw7585
January 26th, 2008, 05:41 PM
When I left the house this morning to go to school, everything was fine with our family cat Winston; However, when I returned, I was told that something had happened shortly after I left (about 30 minutes later) and Winnie was found dragging himself around by his front legs. Mom and Dad took him to the vet, and apparently he was given an antibiotic shot, a shot of vitamin B-12, and some Amoxicylin drops to administer over the weekend and instruction to call on Monday.

Monster, my Dad is absolutely beside himself about "his boy". Can you send me contact info so he can email you his questions offline? I don't want to post his email address on here, but I have a "spam bucket email" I'll be checking for yours. my email is rcw7585 at njit dot edu.


Rod

Luba
January 26th, 2008, 05:54 PM
I'm so happy to hear of Kimba's progress, I hope it continues and things will improve as days go on. She'll be so happy to be home snuggling on the sofa with you.

rcw I'm so sorry to read this about Winston. The vet felt he was okay to be at home over the weekend? Is your dad okay with the treatment so far?
I think if were me I'd get to a animal hospital 24hr one who may have seen this situation before.


These poor kitties this breaks my heart. May you both get well :pray:

Love4himies
January 29th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Monster, how is kimba doing?

gwynn.rice
September 19th, 2011, 10:37 PM
Hi, I came across this old thread when browsing online. I'm 'monster' but have changed my username because I can't remember how to log in with the old account.

Anyway thought I would update anybody who was interested or who was having a similar issue with their cat more recently. Kimba made a full recovery from his thrombosis. He dragged both legs for a few weeks and had sores on the tops of his paws where they dragged. One got infected and we had to put antibiotic cream on it for a while, and he had to wear a bucket so he didn't lick the wounds. He looked a pretty sorry state. But he started using one leg after a few weeks, and then the second a few weeks after that. Despite the vet saying he would never fully recover or be able to run or jump again, he did. Now (4 years later) he is completely healthy and back to normal and has had no further blood clots.

So hopefully this will give others hope who experience a similar problem.:thumbs up

pheniox
October 24th, 2011, 09:07 PM
Hello Monster aka Gwynn.rice. Thank you so much for your posts and updates! I am going through the exact same thing with my 4 yr old Pheniox right now and we are 24hrs in the incident right now, and before I read your post I lacked hope. I just came back from the vet where he seemed to be improving but they were leaning twards euthanasia and I said hell no. I would love to know what you did to help make a full recovery from his thrombosis? what dosages for his heparin treatment? frequency etc? what did you do to regulate his potassium levels and pain? And what did you do for his rehabilitation at home treatment? I am very desperate and in need of some help for Pheniox. i just pray you get this as soon as possible. Thanks.

hazelrunpack
October 24th, 2011, 10:58 PM
pheniox, I've asked Marko to give you Private Messaging capabilities a little early so you can PM gwynn.rice directly. :fingerscr you'll be able to send a PM tomorrow. Best wishes for your kitty.

Jim Hall
October 25th, 2011, 03:09 PM
hi i see by that e mail rcw that u might be in new jersey I have a great vet to talk to message me if u want the details

Ajeffers
December 30th, 2011, 05:37 PM
I have a 5 yr old female cat who has just experienced the same symptoms as your kitty monster. She has lost the use of her hind left leg last Friday night. I took her to vet Christmas Eve and they gave her an antibiotic and fluid as well as a pain injection and antibiotic. The Xray showed a heart murmmor and cloudiness around her heart which reflects a heart infection. The infection is causing her to throw blood clots & that is why she cannot use her left hind leg. It has now been a week and she seems to be doing a LITTLE bit better. Eating a little bit more, drinking etc. She urinates fine, and seems to be putting a little more pressure on her back leg but not alot. I am taking her back to the vet on Monday for a follow up Xray to see if the infection is clearing up or not. I am at a crossroad currently because this weekend they are closed and I do not know if I need to keep her there with the vets supervision this weekend and have her on fluid again, or if she is better off at home with me unstressed. If her body does throw another clot this weekend there is the emergency vet however they are very expensive and an hour away. Should I keep her at the vet this weekend as a precaution or would she be better off at home w/ me and if another clot does form she would have to wait until Monday when the vet opens? What are the chances of her body throwing another one even though it has not in a week and she is on an antibiotic? Can anyone offer any advice?

sugarcatmom
December 31st, 2011, 12:08 PM
Should I keep her at the vet this weekend as a precaution or would she be better off at home w/ me


Is there a vet or vet tech at your clinic 24 hrs? Otherwise, she should stay with you. Has she been prescribed anything to help prevent her blood from clotting (small doses of aspirin are sometimes used, but only under direction of a vet as it can also be toxic)?

peaceonearth
December 29th, 2013, 01:11 AM
Hi, I came across this old thread when browsing online. I'm 'monster' but have changed my username because I can't remember how to log in with the old account.

Anyway thought I would update anybody who was interested or who was having a similar issue with their cat more recently. Kimba made a full recovery from his thrombosis. He dragged both legs for a few weeks and had sores on the tops of his paws where they dragged. One got infected and we had to put antibiotic cream on it for a while, and he had to wear a bucket so he didn't lick the wounds. He looked a pretty sorry state. But he started using one leg after a few weeks, and then the second a few weeks after that. Despite the vet saying he would never fully recover or be able to run or jump again, he did. Now (4 years later) he is completely healthy and back to normal and has had no further blood clots.

So hopefully this will give others hope who experience a similar problem.:thumbs up




Hi hopefully if you see this, could you message me with what treatment your
vet gave kimba to get her on the mend? I have a dear cat
with the same thing have happened.
thanks