Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Question about the cold weather and dogs

Gibbons
January 20th, 2008, 08:15 PM
As some may know, I am currently foster mom to two dogs, one 4 and one about 11 years old. I've never owned a dog living in Ottawa and it's pretty cold here. Just wondering what people's thoughts are on longer walks/ playing at the park/ whatever in bloody cold weather. Tonight it's supposed to be - 25 C plus wind chill and earlier it made my face hurt to be outside for more than a couple of minutes.

How do dogs do in this weather? I can bundle up with two layers of everything and handle it, but is it fair to the dogs? They never complain when we go out, but I know dogs can be stoic sometimes. The older one also doesn't go too fast and spends more time standing in one place just looking around - will it hurt him to be out for more than 15-20 minutes?

Might be a silly question- but if I'M so cold it hurts, how does the dog feel?

Frenchy
January 20th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Since they are short coated fur dogs , -25 is pretty cold for them. I'd say 10-15 minutes ? It's pretty cold here too today (Quebec) my goldens didn't mind but my long term foster great dane had her paws up in the air after 10 minutes so I took her inside. :shrug: (I didn't think about putting her doggy boots on)

Frenchy
January 20th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Oh and , how are they doing ?

luckypenny
January 20th, 2008, 08:25 PM
When it gets so cold that I have a hard time staying out for longer than 10 minutes, I bring them back in with me :D . As for walks, at -25, I think just long enough to do their business if they need to is long enough. We're at about that same temperature here now and I'm only letting mine out for a maximum of 10 minutes at a time about every hour or so.

Gibbons
January 20th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the tips. I've been thinking its too cold for them but they are so thrilled to be outside. We've been taking them for frequent 15 minute walks so they get the exercise but don't get too chilled- just wanted to make sure I wasn't depriving them unneccesarily.

Also, they are doing really well. Gibson is trying to be the tough guy and takes a quick swipe at them as they walk away (they have absolutely zero interest in him). I just got a baby-gate to keep them from trying to go down the stairs to the front door landing (they go down and get stuck because the stairs are tile and slippery).

Today, they are happily chewing on their chew toys and cuddling with everyone. I'm already a big mush when it comes to them and get misty-eyed when I think of them leaving. I can't wait for them to find an awesome home - I keep thinking they'd be so good with kids because they love noise and activity and are so gentle. All they want is belly-rubs :lovestruck:

bethaliz
January 20th, 2008, 08:32 PM
I have small dogs and we just toss them in the yard more often instead of long walks. We try to burn off energy by play indoors or just in the yard. If we do go for a walk we put on dog coats and try to make it short and quick.

More than the "cold" the salt that is put down when it snows is more trouble some to the dogs.

Also to get more activity in the winter when long walks are more difficult, we have joined a local kennel club. They provide activites, space to work our dogs, compitions, equipment etc. I know that Ottawa has a great Kennel club, if your looking for things to do with your dog

Frenchy
January 20th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Also, they are doing really well. Gibson is trying to be the tough guy and takes a quick swipe at them as they walk away

:laughing: My cats do the same.

I'm glad they're doing well , they deserve a break. And thank you for giving them one ! :thumbs up

otter
January 20th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Brrrrrrrrr, seems like we're all freezing these days!

With Molly I find it's the first few minutes out that are the worst. I make sure when we go out that i'm all ready to GO (i.e. move) the moment we get out the door. If our walks start out slowly she gets cold, if we get moving and warmed up quickly she stays out longer. Guess just like me, it's the first shock of being out in the cold that is most painful, as you get used to it it gets more bearable. I use tips of ears as good indicators of cold for Molly, if she's not keeping her ears warm it's time to get inside.