Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Wait till you hear this

coppperbelle
January 20th, 2008, 06:39 PM
There's this business that sells puppies among other things. The pups are in a cages in front of a window even in the heat of the summer. :mad:
Someone I know bought a female puppy there a few months ago. Fortunately it is healthy so far. Two weeks ago they bought a second pup but couldn't pick it up for a week so they made arrangements to pick it up last week. They arrived to find out it had died from a virus, they think Parvo. :sad:

When they bought the first pup the person:loser: suggested to them that they breed their dog and they thought it might be a good idea. I told them it wasn't a good idea. :rolleyes:
Apparently this person:loser: told them that he would provide the stud services in exchange for a few puppies. :wall:
Can you :censored: believe that?

Bluedrake
January 20th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Ugh, :censored: backyard breeders!

What some people will do for money! I really hate pet shops and irresponsible pet owners. Sure puppies are cute, but you don't recklessly breed a dog! :wall:

Byrd
January 20th, 2008, 07:01 PM
:censored: Well, on the other side, it's a good thing they didn't get it home and give the virus to their current dog.

We really need to do something to ban petstores from selling puppies and kittens.

coppperbelle
January 20th, 2008, 07:03 PM
This isn't a pet shop. I have heard that it is a front for a puppy mill.

poodletalk
January 20th, 2008, 07:07 PM
I know someone else who bought a dog from the same place and the exact same offer was made to them as well.

It's suppose to be a dog training school and boarding services.

Frenchy
January 20th, 2008, 07:11 PM
I know someone else who bought a dog from the same place and the exact same offer was made to them as well.

It's suppose to be a dog training school and boarding services.

Yep , heard about that place too :wall:... it's in your area Coppperbelle , right ?

luckypenny
January 20th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Apparently this person:loser: told them that he would provide the stud services in exchange for a few puppies. :wall:
Can you :censored: believe that?

They have to fill those cages in the window, Coppperbelle. When the heat is on re accusations of running a puppy mills, they have to get the pups some other way. If this is the same place I'm thinking of, they offered my SIL the same thing. Her dog that she purchased from them needed extensive surgery on her hind legs and tail (birth defects) and they still offered to have her bred :rolleyes: :mad:. I tried to convince her not to buy a puppy from there but she argued that they were responsible breeders, even had their pups registered and tattooed. I asked with what association and she said, "well, registered with them." :shrug: Whatever that means. You should have seen her tattoo when they had it done (at 3 1/2 months old); it looked something like this :

GRDE
Y537

People really do not know any better when they buy from there. It's the only place around other than pet shops that sell 'pure bred' dogs so many think they're legit. I guess they figure it's only the pet shops that sell puppy mill dogs, who knows :shrug: .

coppperbelle
January 20th, 2008, 07:50 PM
People think because they have some sort of paper with a pedigree and then a tattoo that a dog is purebred.
I guess they will take pups from wherever they can get them.

Don't get me started on the people who train the dogs. :yell:

luckypenny
January 20th, 2008, 08:04 PM
You got me thinking, Coppperbelle....maybe I'll give Consumer Protection a call to see how many complaints they have had against them. I'm really curious to see how many people have come to their senses 'after the fact,' as unfortunate as that may be.

Frenchy
January 20th, 2008, 08:08 PM
I did ask my coworker to place a complaint but I don't think he did. He went there to take his dog for obedience classes , when he saw how they work , he left , he said they were very rough with the dogs. :sad:

rainbow
January 20th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Good luck, LP.....I hope something can be done. :fingerscr :fingerscr :goodvibes:

coppperbelle
January 20th, 2008, 08:56 PM
You got me thinking, Coppperbelle....maybe I'll give Consumer Protection a call to see how many complaints they have had against them. I'm really curious to see how many people have come to their senses 'after the fact,' as unfortunate as that may be.

I don't know if the people will file a complaint. So far the first puppy is healthy and they were suppose to be refunded for the second one that died.
I did suggest that they invest in petinsurance for at least a year or two just in case.

krdahmer
January 21st, 2008, 12:16 AM
Couldn't someone call the SPCA and get them to investigate that place? Or has that been done already?

luckypenny
January 21st, 2008, 12:30 AM
It's been done.

There's nothing illegal about puppy mills in Quebec. As long as animals are provided food, water, adequate shelter, and relatively clean spaces, nothing much can be done. There's been some controversy/rumors re millers being 'tipped off' before inspections. As you may already know, the pet industry is worth billions of $ in this country alone. Some ruthless people don't care how they go about it, they just want a cut.

Shaykeija
January 21st, 2008, 01:08 AM
They should have this sign in front of their store...

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa240/haroldnj54/LOSER.jpg

Frenchy
January 21st, 2008, 12:35 PM
They should have this sign in front of their store...

:laughing: :thumbs up We would need a couple of those here in Quebec ! (talking about puppy mills here :rolleyes:)

krdahmer
January 21st, 2008, 01:36 PM
:sad: I wasn't aware that the laws were different in Quebec... that's aweful.:frustrated::cry:

Marcee2800
January 27th, 2008, 12:59 AM
It isn't even just these small pet stores the puppies forsale in Petland are lots
of crossbreeds why cause puppy mills with borthers and sister of a couple differnt breeds running together and breeding. My friends bought a puppy from there and at 3 years old she is completly blind, plus there is so many dogs at shelters that people should have to have a permit to breed dogs and only a certain ammount over a certain time until the population is under control