Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Why didn't I go feed Czarina just a little later.

ancientgirl
January 20th, 2008, 09:34 AM
I went downstairs to feed Czarina. There was a woman standing in front of the entry to the downstairs stairwell smoking and standing next to her dog. I walked past her and went to put food in Czarina's bowl.

She came up behind me and said?

Her-Please don't do that.

Me-Why?

Her-I just threw away $2,000 worth of furniture because of rats eating up all my , and they're here because they eat the food people set out for the cats.

Me-I don't know the circumstances as to why you had to threw your furniture away, but it's not because they eat her food because she eats all of her food and doesn't leave enough for rats. I'm not going to let her starve. You have a dog, how would you like if he was out in the world and nobody fed him.

Her-Where do you live?

Me-Here in 402, if you want to report me go ahead.

Her-If you want to be so responsible for her, why don't you just take her somewhere to have her adopted.

Me-I tried to adopt her myself, but she didn't like my cats and she got away form me. She's used to being outdoors.

Her-You know if dogs eat cat food the die.

Okay, this shows how little she knows. I doubt a dog eating a few bits of cat few will die. Perhaps if that's all they fed him exclusively and he wasn't getting the proper nutrition. But I played her game.

Me-And vice versa. Speaking of being responsible why don't you have your dog on a leash? He should be on one.

Her-You're right.

She then walked away and came back.

Her-She probably has diseases.

Me-No she doesn't. I took her to the vet myself. She was tested for everything and she was perfectly healthy, I have the paperwork to prove it.

Her-You probably don't have a rat problem, you have cats.

At this point I'm thinking, "Actually my place isn't a pigsty like I'm sure yours is."

Me-No, maybe not, but then there shouldn't be any rats running around here anyway since there are other strays here that should be taking care of them.

Her-Well, they have been doing work on the roof, the roofers probably disturbed a nest up there and they are coming down.

Me-That's likely the issue.

Her-Why don't you send her to go and kill the rats (she laughs)

Me-Okay, I'll give her a note to take to the other cats and have them put a hit out on the rats (I say with sarcasm she was too stupid to notice)

At this point she left. I was afraid she'd come back and try to do something. I took the food and picked up Czarina, but she wiggled out of my arms. I couldn't get hold of her. I don't know this woman and I don't know if she's going to make trouble. I wish I'd gone down a few minutes later and missed her all together.

I'm going to tell Miguel the entire story tomorrow and see what he says. I hope this was the end of this. I don't want this :censored:to make any trouble for Czarina. If it comes down to my having to take her in and try again, I'll do it. I'm going to look into some litters like cat attract. Czarina wasn't using the litter to pee, and I found several of her spots around the apartment.

She wasn't happy here, but if it's a case of having her taken away by animal services or something, I'm brining her inside again. She won't be happy, but she'll have to get used to it.

Lukka'sma
January 20th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Didn't you say the only reason Miguel didn't take her home was because when he left she was no where to be seen? So if you are able to get hold of her why not put her in a carrier and let him take her to his house. You have already tried having her with your cats and it didn't work. It seems she would not be happy if she goes back to your place, she obviously didn't want to be there.
If he has been feeding her all this time and letting her in his office on occasion, it would seem that she is largely his cat and I don't think you should just decide that she is going with you and that's all there is too it. He should have at least equal if not a bit more say in where she will live her life.

CearaQC
January 20th, 2008, 09:58 AM
You know how in old movies they always used to slap hysterical women?

That's what that other woman with the loose dog needs. The type of ignorance she was spewing ticks me off. I probably would have been a lot more insulting in your shoes. LOL (Advantages of being a Scorpio)

ancientgirl
January 20th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Didn't you say the only reason Miguel didn't take her home was because when he left she was no where to be seen? So if you are able to get hold of her why not put her in a carrier and let him take her to his house. You have already tried having her with your cats and it didn't work. It seems she would not be happy if she goes back to your place, she obviously didn't want to be there.
If he has been feeding her all this time and letting her in his office on occasion, it would seem that she is largely his cat and I don't think you should just decide that she is going with you and that's all there is too it. He should have at least equal if not a bit more say in where she will live her life.

Miguel is afraid she will runaway and try to come back here, which would put her in a lot of danger. He's got a fence in his yard, but it's easily climbed.

I'm an idiot for not asking her where SHE lives, but I was angry at her gall. Maybe Miguel knows who she is and where she lives.

I'm just afraid I've stirred up a hornet's nest now with this. :sad:

CearaQC
January 20th, 2008, 10:08 AM

I know someone in real estate in South Beach if you ever want to move there.

ancientgirl
January 20th, 2008, 10:11 AM
I know someone in real estate in South Beach if you ever want to move there.

Thanks. But I don't think I'm going to be asked to move. I meant I hope I haven't made trouble for Czarina and the other strays.

14+kitties
January 20th, 2008, 10:11 AM
If she has had rats long enough that they wrecked her furniture why did she not report them to the complex? And you would think her dog would have tried to do something about them as well.
She is right about the dogs eating cat food. However, it takes quite a bit before it makes a difference. Something about the added protein in the cat's food or something. Trying to remember what vet said about that. :confused: I had asked Sam's vet about it because she cleans out the cat food tins after I feed the kitties. I figure the amount she is getting isn't going to hurt her.
Some people it is just easier to walk away from.......

ancientgirl
January 20th, 2008, 10:18 AM
If she has had rats long enough that they wrecked her furniture why did she not report them to the complex? And you would think her dog would have tried to do something about them as well.
She is right about the dogs eating cat food. However, it takes quite a bit before it makes a difference. Something about the added protein in the cat's food or something. Trying to remember what vet said about that. :confused: I had asked Sam's vet about it because she cleans out the cat food tins after I feed the kitties. I figure the amount she is getting isn't going to hurt her.
Some people it is just easier to walk away from.......

That's a good point. How long were those rats feasting on her furniture?

I figured the same about the food. I don't think that a little bit of food will do much damage, but most people here keep their dogs on leashes. She's the one who should worry, if she's walking her dog with no leash.

I wish I could have walked away, but I couldn't. I hope she just leaves things be. You would think a person who has a dog would be an animal lover and not complain about someone else feeding a poor stray.

Lukka'sma
January 20th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Miguel is afraid she will runaway and try to come back here, which would put her in a lot of danger. He's got a fence in his yard, but it's easily climbed.

I'm an idiot for not asking her where SHE lives, but I was angry at her gall. Maybe Miguel knows who she is and where she lives.

Maybe the lady in question was just having a moment and had to let off some steam, you just happened to be in the line of fire. Most likely she will have forgotten about this entire episode.
When she said she had to get rid of her furniture because of rats, what she probably meant was she had to toss out a carpet because the dog wasn't house broken.
I think it will all blow over.

ancientgirl
January 20th, 2008, 11:10 AM
I hope you're right. I hope she just forgets about it and decided it's not worth the bother.

krdahmer
January 20th, 2008, 11:50 AM
The problem with ignorant people like that is that they live to start trouble to make their lives more interesting. That is almost exactly what heppened to me at my old apartment, I was feeding and working on taming and adopting a group of ferals. I got accused of being the cause of our skunk 'problem', ya couldn't be the giant overflowing dumpsters... duh. But a few of the other residents made a big stink about it and I had to defend myself and promise that the goal was to eliminate the feral colony (through adoption/ spay neuter & release). (And even them some of the residents were threatening to put out poison etc, because papa was spraying their porches.:frustrated:)

I think you should if you can, get her microchipped and try a collar asap, that way if animal control is called the worst that would happen is they contact you and you get her back. And most cats taken from a free roaming lifestyle are annoyed at first and get antsy and try to escape. It doesn't mean she was miserable at your house, or would be at Miguel's. And if they are very very careful and teach her the doors are off limits (I did that with a spray bottle- every time they went to the door or I was about to open it, they got sprayed and I left it sitting beside the door), she may settle in just fine. Cats are stubborn, you just have to be more stubborn. My two guys who have made several escape attempts, are now happy to stay in. And although I sometimes felt mean spraying them at the door, I know that it worked, and that they are safer for it. The last time Buddy did manage to sneak out (my fault I held the door open to long to sign for a package), he only went as far as the flower bed to roll in the dirt.

If he's affraid she'll attempt escape, he and his family just have to be prepared. She needs a collar and microchip, and they need to have a plan to keep her in. I still think she will be happier in the long run when she sees how great always having food and love and protection really is.

More :goodvibes: for you and Czarina and Miguel from me and the gang!:grouphug:

(and if there is a rat problem I would be concerned also about people putting out rat poison mixed in food to attract the rats, and getting the kitties too:sad:)

ancientgirl
January 20th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Yeah, we have dumpsters here too, I don't know why she automatically believes it's because of cat food. There are other people around here that also feed cats, so I know I'm not the only one. She just happened to see me.

I'll have a talk with Miguel tomorrow and get his opinion on what we should do. In the meantime, I'm going to get a collar and tag for her. Hopefully she won't freak out when I put it on her.

CearaQC
January 20th, 2008, 12:03 PM
I thought Terriers of all sorts used to be known as rat hunters. :shrug:

Heck if I lived anywhere near Florida you could borrow my cat Linx. He's Mr. Mighty Hunter.

I watched him once literally leap out from under the car, about 5 feet in the air, swatted at a bird and caught it! (Was able to get it from him tho unharmed and let it fly away.) I found 5 huge chipmunks a couple of summers ago, all lined up under the truck in some sort of strange kitty prey display. He will catch mice/voles so fast and have them eaten before I can say no no no don't eat that. Good thing I keep tapeworm pills on hand.

ancientgirl
January 20th, 2008, 12:29 PM
I wonder if she was even telling the truth. She probably just doesn't even like cats and didn't want to see anyone feeding a poor innocent animal.

That's why I asked her if she'd want the same thing to happen to her dog if it ever got out into the street.

SARAH
January 20th, 2008, 03:24 PM
The stupidity of some people! If she doesn't want her dog to eat cat food, just keep him on the leash he should be one anyway silly! And train him not to eat unles given the permission, except the rats she claims she has (sure it wasn't her son's pet that got out :evil: )

I agree on getting Czarina chipped and collared!! Cheap insurance just in case.

ancientgirl
January 20th, 2008, 03:28 PM
The stupidity of some people! If she doesn't want her dog to eat cat food, just keep him on the leash he should be one anyway silly! And train him not to eat unles given the permission, except the rats she claims she has (sure it wasn't her son's pet that got out :evil: )

I agree on getting Czarina chipped and collared!! Cheap insurance just in case.

If she starts trouble, I can also say that she was "walking" her unleashed dog in an area not designated to walk dogs. There are only certain areas you are allowed to let your dogs go, those areas have a little pole with a garbage can and plastic to clean up after the dog, she was obviously not following that rule.

I've already got Czarina on insurance. It has a little more coverage than the Fantastic Fours insurance, because it includes stuff that might happen to her outside, while my cats have an indoor insurance.

The collar, I'll have to look for one at Petco tomorrow and get one of those ready to make tags that you make on the spot there.

chico2
January 20th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Ancient,I know you did tons for Czarina,but when you had to give up on her,I was under the impression she was going to live at Miguels house,not be an outdoor cat again:confused:
I probably misunderstood..
Anyway,it's people like this woman,obviously not a cat-lover,who could cause trouble for Czarina and other outdoor cats,like calling the town shelter to pick them up.
Baileys owners had rats and probably still do,but not in the house,they had them simply because they are slobs and have junk and garbage in the backyard,not because someone is feeding cats.

ancientgirl
January 20th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Chico, Miguel tried to take her home two days in a row, but after he fed her that Thursday morning, she hung around a while then disappeared. He couldn't find her, so he waited to try again on Friday. The same thing happened.

He also confessed to me that he was afraid if he took her home she'd get out of his yard and try to run away. And he wanted to give her access to both inside and outside where he lived.

He lives about 20 miles from here. If she got out then she'd be in danger of cars running her over or being attacked by a stray dog.

I'm going to talk to him tomorrow about what happened. If this woman makes trouble, by telling the condo board, I'm telling Miguel to put her in the crate and bring her back up to my apartment. I'll have to figure something out as to how to keep them separated and give her some room to roam if that happens.

clm
January 20th, 2008, 07:26 PM
I had a feeling she was going to end up back there. I'm sure he's right, she likely would have come back to the complex anyway, she calls it home.
The woman you met should realize that cats usually help take care of a rat problem. I'm sure the cat food does attract some, but makes them easy pickins for the cats, foxes and owls that are hunting them.

Cindy

ancientgirl
January 20th, 2008, 07:43 PM
If this woman stirs up trouble, I don't want to take the chance that someone will come and take her away.

I'll have to wait and talk to Miguel and see what happens this week.

That woman is an idiot. One minute she's telling me there are rats because of the cats food and the next she's telling me, I probably don't have a problem with rats because I have cats! WTH?

Shaykeija
January 21st, 2008, 01:12 AM
Ancientgirl...... I have awarded you one coupon. Please use it on her lol

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t255/gpquinn/bitch-slap.jpg

ancientgirl
January 21st, 2008, 08:51 AM
From what I heard this morning, a lot of people where I live could use this.

Jim Hall
January 21st, 2008, 09:17 AM
Ok a couple of things. After you enganged her in dialouge, it sounded like she was pretty friendly and having a terrier herself, I dont think she is going to to anything malicious

If rats ate up my firniture I would be screamingg my head off and if I had a terrier I suspect the pooch would have been giong nuts over them, I cant imagine a dog not chasing rats .
You got to wrk on Miguel realising she needs to be inside his house at least for 2 months Or she will most likely leave .

Ok Miss Ancient now you have some adjusting to do yourself and it is something I have done all my life with outdoor animals. You can not be thier 24/7 for them. You can help as much as you can, but an outdoor animal in the final anaylisis must survive on his her her ability and the kindness of people like you. For everyone of the confused people you meett like her , ther is one like miguel that is also watching out for her and others like her.

ancientgirl
January 21st, 2008, 09:37 AM
I don't think she's going to do anything either. I think she was just looking for someone to bother and I was the one that happened to be around. She's known around that place for being a pest.

I've come to realize that some animals just know what they like and where they want to be. I couldn't find my girl this morning and was getting nervous, until I looked up and saw her looking down at me from under the second floor railing.

SARAH
January 21st, 2008, 11:09 AM
LOL, I can imagine her sitting there looking down at you :D :cat: With a collar in case someone pics her up, I think she'll be fine where she is, she's obviously a free spirit that Czarina!

ancientgirl
January 21st, 2008, 11:31 AM
I think so too. She's moving around with her kitty gang, and she's being fed and cared for. She is petted and is shown love. And she will also have access to health care, so I think she will be fine.

Jim Hall
January 21st, 2008, 11:37 AM
LOL the Kitty gang dont feed em for a while you rodent population will be decimated (joke)

ancientgirl
January 21st, 2008, 11:46 AM
From what Miguel and Rene told me, they were the ones that took the couch out, that rat's nest has been there for a loooooooong time.