Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sick Dog

barbally
January 19th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Ally-Mae 4 1/2 year old shepherd/rottweiller, 97 lbs, all shots jun/07, spayed as a juvenile, overall very healthy, No contact with other dogs, doesn't go out unattended so I know she didn't get into or eat anything
Wednesday vomitted 2-3x, no diarreha, didn't eat supper or drink water
Thursday- morning no food or water, giving her 20ml of pedialite every 15 minutes all day, at supper ate 1 cup of food and drank water, no diarreha
Friday- didn't eat drank very little water, no diarreha
Saturday- didn't eat breakfast or drink anything, at 11am started vomitting every 15-20min, Foamy, Yellow fluid, stopped vomitting 12;30, has been sleeping quietly
I don't get paid til the end of the month and any vet in my area wants $75 just for a first visit. What can I do in the meantime til I can borrow money to take her to a vet
Barb:shrug::cry:

hazelrunpack
January 19th, 2008, 05:48 PM
See if you can talk your vet into allowing payment by installment. If your dog is vomiting and won't eat or drink, she's quite ill. She won't last till the end of the month. She really does need a vet now.

Is she still passing stool? If she's not, get her to an emergency vet. She may have a bowel obstruction.

Good luck, barbally! I hope you can get her to a vet in time. :fingerscr Please let us know what the vet says.

barbally
January 19th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Thanks hazelrunpack
She is having bowel movements, no diarreha thankfully
she stopped vomiting about 12:30 and has been sleeping eversince its now 4:20
I'm going to get her up in a bit and see if she'll eat or at least drink something, if not I'll give her pedialite by a syringe in her mouth
The vet won't see her without a $75 first vist fee. On monday I can apply for a pet credit card that they offer, but then I'll have to wait for approval. I'm phoning around now to some friends to see if I can bowwor some cash but no luck yet
I'll keep you posted
Barb(ally-mae's mom)

Frenchy
January 19th, 2008, 06:57 PM
The vet won't see her without a $75 first vist fee.

:eek: Holy crap he's expensive !!! Isn't there other vet clinics in your area ?

barbally
January 19th, 2008, 11:52 PM
That is her regular vet and the only one that's open on the weekends. All the others I called were going to charge me for an emergency visit also along with the visit fee
Anyway, She slept the afternoon and I was giving her pedialite by syringe and at 9:30 she finally drank about 400ml by herself and ate a large milkbone
So far its staying down and she is laying down quietly.
Is there anything else I can do for her?:pray:

Winston
January 20th, 2008, 06:58 AM
What about some boiled rice? does she like ice cubes? How is Alley-mae today?

Cindy

barbally
January 20th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Thanks Cindy
Ally slept all night, but at 7:30am got sick again. At 9am I took her out and she had a pee and started eating the snow. We came in and I gave her 20ml of pedialite and then she drank another 150ml on her own, but got sick again 20minutes later. At 10am I gave her 20ml more and so far so good. She's sleeping right now, but I'm going to keep giving her 20ml of pedialite at a time for the next few hours and see how that goes.
Barb

Nikki1
January 23rd, 2008, 11:54 AM
If you haven't already, your dog needs to see the vet. When an animal gets sick like that it is wise to fast them for 24hrs, but give them all the water they want. Then start them on a diet of rice with a little cooked and strained hamburger in it, which will be easy for the dog to digest. My husband hates it when my dogs are feeling under the weather, cause I make him eat the same thing for supper that night! Best of luck!

doxies2
January 26th, 2008, 01:32 PM
We went through the vomiting and not eating or drinking recently with our daschund Sophie. It turned out to be a poisoning from a Sago Palm. Could Ally have gotten hold of any human medications, or inside plants, foods such as onions, chocolate or any cleaning fluids? If she will eat try low protein foods, white rice, egg whites, yogurt, cottage cheese (small amount). I know it's expensive but you've got to get Ally to the doctor. If you are already a client he should be able to set up some kind of payment plan. If he refuses I would seriously find a new Vet and fast. Good luck. I will say a prayer for her.