Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Question about Innova Evo for cats

Bluedrake
January 19th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Hi!

I'm feeding Wellness canned to my cats, and they are thriving on it, but I am trying to give them a little variety. Almost all of Wellness foods contain chicken, and since I don't want to risk my cats becoming allergic, I thought I might throw in a little Innova Evo canned, which contains a single meat source.

But here's my problem: All of Evo canned contain sunflower oil, and I'm not sure if it's good for the cat. Does anyone know if there are harmful effects associated to that particular product?

Second question, Evo has a a beef and venison canned. Are those alright for a cat? I would go for the duck without a problem, since it's poultry, but what about the first two? Can cats digest beef and venison?

I switch flavours everyday so the cats don't get bored with their food.

Thanks

sugarcatmom
January 19th, 2008, 07:10 PM
No harmful effects associated with sunflower oil that I know of. It's a good source of linoleic acid, which is an essential fatty acid for cats.

You can always buy a can each of the beef and venison and see how your cats do. My guy loves beef (he's lukewarm on venison unless it's raw). Beef can be an allergen for some cats, but as far as digestibility, I don't think there are necessarily any species-wide rules. If your cat can handle it then go for it. While Aztec has no problem with either, his brother tended to barf up raw beef (but did okay with canned).

Check out some of the Nature's Variety Instinct line while you're at it. Grain-free, 95% meat along the lines of EVO. If you want even more variety you can add in some By Nature Organics for another grain-free option (available these days at PetSmart).

Bluedrake
January 19th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Thanks! I just checked Nature's variety. I really like the ingredients, and they have some very interesting flavours. Dr. Lisa Pierson also recommends it, so that's reassuring. I had been looking for a rabbit flavour food for my cats.

Chinook will eat any canned food, but rotating between chicken, turkey and beef/chicken, well, it gets a bit dull, especially since the chicken flavour contains turkey and the turkey one contains chicken. :rolleyes:

Wellness is a good food, but they overdo the chicken a bit. :D