Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Vitamin D

krdahmer
January 18th, 2008, 11:49 PM
Has anyone else upped their vitamin D intake lately? I'm interested to see if anyone else is noticing a change in mood (for the better) like me. The lady doctor was on Oprah the other day and they were discussing it again. I am taking about 1400mg/day now. 400 in my multi vitamin and 1000 extra, and the winter blahs seem to have disappeared. :shrug::D

Dracko
January 19th, 2008, 12:12 AM
You must be referring to International Units (IU) not milligrams. Vitamin D being a fat soluble vitamin is measured in IU or micrograms.

It was always seen on labels as IU's but with the newer Natural Health Product regulations new labels are suppose to begin stating both IU and mcg (i.e. 25mcg = 1000iu)

Some info to keep in mind when taking Vitamin D:

:pawprint: There are different sources of supplemental Vitamin D

:pawprint: Vitamin D2 (ergocalciferol) is derived from fungal and plant sources, and is not produced by the human body.

:pawprint: Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) is derived from animal sources. In most mammals, including humans, D3 is more effective than D2 at increasing the levels of vitamin D hormone in circulation; D3 is at least 3-fold, and likely closer to 10-fold, more potent than D2.

:pawprint: Often lanolin or sheep’s wool is used for the raw material source of Vitamin D3.

:pawprint: The only vegetarian source of Vitamin D is a D2 sourced from irradiated mushrooms (mushrooms treated with radiation). So if a vegetarian will not use the D3 from an animal source this would be their only option (here in Canada).

:pawprint: Vitamin D is required for the absorption of minerals such as calcium. This is why it should be taken with your calcium and why it is so strongly recommended to be included in the diet.

:pawprint: Vitamin K is needed to direct the minerals to the right place, preventing an inappropriate calcification of soft tissues (calcium depositing in the arteries).

:pawprint: Likewise, cells only produce osteocalcin and the matrix Gla protein (MGP) in the presence of vitamin D, but vitamin K is necessary to activate those proteins to do their jobs.

:pawprint: There is even evidence to suggest that the safety of vitamin D is dependent on adequate vitamin K. Vitamin K was recently allowed to be sold as a supplement in Canada. Just be sure it is a Vitamin K2 source.

:pawprint: Vitamin K1 is easy to get in the diet from leafy green veggies (kale, brussels sprouts, swiss chard, purslane…) eaten with butter.

:pawprint: Vitamin K1 is useful for the clotting effect but not for bone density, cholesterol regulation and keeping calcium out of the arteries.
A small amount of K1 will be converted to K2 by gut bacteria.

:pawprint: Vitamin K2 isn’t as easy to get in today’s diet. It is found in dairy products, egg yolks and organ meats of animals that feed on GRASS - not grain. Vitamin K2 will increase bone density, decrease arterial calcification, control cholesterol levels, etc. The way we produce food has drastically decreased vitamin K2 in our diet causing the deficiencies that are ever present today.

You will start to see more information in the news about Vitamin K just like Vitamin D.

On average naturopaths recommend around 1000 - 1500 IU of Vitamin D3 and 250mcg of Vitamin K2 per day.

krdahmer
January 19th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Yes... sorry I did mean IU, and K2 eh? I haven't yet seen that as a supplement. Maybe I'll try the nature store.

Dracko
January 19th, 2008, 02:03 PM
K was not allowed in Canada until just recently so you wouldn't have seen it on the shelf before. It is available now, though in 2 brands that I know of.

Good luck.

BAILEYSMUDGE
January 19th, 2008, 02:15 PM
OMG! That's alot of information... I take Vitamin D in order to help the huge quantity of Calcium I have to take...but, that's it... I don't believe in overdoing the daily vitamins unless for theraputic reasons..... the body will become dependent on these extras.... instead of relying on natural food intakes... if that makes sense.... I grew up that way.... I haven't changed. Too old!

krdahmer
January 19th, 2008, 02:50 PM
I rely on supplements because as of right now and for the past 10 years my diet has sucked (fast food, packaged foods etc). I am slowly improving it, but still don't eat nearly the veggies I should. And I rarely eat fruit too. When you've eaten poorly that long it really does become a struggle to get back to eating real food, and most especially food that is good for you.

And the Vitamin D was actually an experiment, just short of getting another prescription for Prozac... which I was on a few years back and had helped me a lot. I really was trying to avoid being on it again, but was really struggling with my mood and stress.http://bestsmileys.com/expressions/1.gif I have been taking the D two weeks already and have noticed a real difference. I got my Doc to prescribe something for panic type attacks, but haven't had to use it yet thankfully. It's not like I'm bubbly all the time, but I do feel better, and seem to have a bit more energy. Heck I've even been rolling outta bed earlier!(might be sleeping a bit better) Even getting a call that my car was going to cost us $900 we didn't have didn't faze me! (I also tried a trick that day and used 'always look on the bright side of life... *whistling*' for my cell phone ring tone... so everytime he called to say something else was wrong... I ended up whistling! :crazy::laughing:

BAILEYSMUDGE
January 19th, 2008, 03:42 PM
[QUOTE=krdahmer;533994]I rely on supplements because as of right now and for the past 10 years my diet has sucked (fast food, packaged foods etc). I am slowly improving it, but still don't eat nearly the veggies I should. And I rarely eat fruit too. When you've eaten poorly that long it really does become a struggle to get back to eating real food, and most especially food that is good for you.

Well... I guess that's it in a nutshell... eating right... I used to be tipping the scale at 200 lbs...but since going to Weight Watchers and losing 60 of those ugly pounds I'm feeling better...and they do teach you how to balance your diet on your own... no specialized food...just ordinary food...with a good balance of vitamins. I guess that and "chicken soup" will make all things better.:o