Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

i need help

cristina
January 18th, 2008, 10:02 PM
we have two month-old dachsund/chihuahua mixes, and saturday one died. she was sick, but she died because she fell on her head. the day after next another died, and then the next day another died, too. one of the puppies was sick, but she got better. yesterday another got sick and i thought he was going to die, too, but he made it. only problem is he's having problems breathing and he's foaming at the mouth.
is there anything we can do to help him?
if you need more information, i'll be glad to provide you with it.

Frenchy
January 18th, 2008, 10:06 PM
but she died because she fell on her head.

How did she do that ? :confused: did someone dropped her ?

And what's with you and all those dogs ? Haven't you taken them to a vet already ???

luckypenny
January 18th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Please get these poor puppies to a vet asap!

cristina
January 18th, 2008, 10:10 PM
we can't afford to take them to the vet. we've never had problems with puppies before. we've got three chihuahuas and fancy's always had healthy puppies. we recently moved in with my grandma, though, and her dogs got pregnant. because they're her dogs, we haven't been able to take care of them like we were able to take care of fancy's puppies.

How did she do that ? did someone dropped her ?

well, my brother picked her up, and apparently he wasn't supporting her. she jumped out of his arms and landed on her head. or, that's how he explains it.

happycats
January 18th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Your grandma has a litter of puppies, and you also have a litter of puppies?

These dogs need to go to a vet ASAP, of they are not breathing properly and frothing at the mouth, they need medical attention now!!!
If you car at all about these dogs you will find a way to get them to a vet!!
And please get your dogs fixed!

pbpatti
January 18th, 2008, 10:17 PM
how can you let even one of them die without thinking about taking the others to the VET, please take them now and I second happycats, GET THEM FIXED,

luckypenny
January 18th, 2008, 10:18 PM
No one can scrape together some $ to take them to the vets??? Can it not be borrowed from family, friends?

Are the puppies feeding from there mother? How is she doing?

And for pete's sake, keep any young children away from the puppies without adult supervision :wall: .

Lukka'sma
January 18th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Not meaning to be harsh but why would you have more pets than you can medically afford? Regardless of how healthy your dog's have been in the past there is always the possibility of an accident or an illness that you never thought would happen to your dog. It just doesn't make sense to me to continue to breed dogs that will never see a vet.

Frenchy
January 18th, 2008, 10:20 PM
I am lost for words so I will just back out of this thread.

I hope this is a joke and the OP is just a :clown:

Dropping a puppy , not taking those pups to a vet , letting them breed ... omg.

cristina
January 18th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Not meaning to be harsh but why would you have more pets than you can medically afford?
it's not harsh. i knew someone would bring it up, because it's common sense to only have the number of pets you can afford. but we didn't intentionally breed them.
my grandma keeps her dogs outside, and when they're in heat she ties them up in the front yard so they don't get pregnant. somehow or another (i don't remember if my little brother let him in or not) one of the neighborhood dogs got into the yard and that was that.
so, there were twelve puppies. two died within the first few days because they weren't healthy, and we gave gave away three. at first, because it was starting to get cold, we kept them in the house. my grandma got upset, though, and demanded we keep them outside. because of the cold, two more died. one almost died, but we brought her inside to keep her warm and she got better. we started letting her sleep with us, and then the first one (the one that 'fell') got sick and we let them all sleep in the house.
and then she died, and so on and so forth.
and no, we can't borrow money. like i said, we recently moved. the neighborhood we live in now is povery stricken, and everybody needs their money just as much as we do.
hopefully we can figure something out, but i'd just like (right now) to know if anybody has ANY idea about what's wrong with him. i want to know what i can do for him, not what i should.
thank you for your replies, though, and i'm sorry if that sounded rude.

luckypenny
January 18th, 2008, 10:34 PM
First, you have to find a way to bring them indoors. Does your grandma not care if they are dying outside? They need to be kept warm, and they need to be kept with their mom. Can you do this?

luckypenny
January 18th, 2008, 10:35 PM
Sorry I didn't thoroughly read your post. Where are the pups and their mother right now?

Frenchy
January 18th, 2008, 10:37 PM
but i'd just like (right now) to know if anybody has ANY idea about what's wrong with him. i want to know what i can do for him, not what i should.

We are not vets , we can't help you like this , over the internet !!!! I don't know how old you are , but tell your grandmother , it's HER responsability , it's HER fault her dogs are not spayed and got pregnant. These dogs NEEDS to see a vet ASAP. And that's all we can tell you !

We are not vets !

happycats
January 18th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Why does your grandma have dogs, If she leaves them outside? Let's puppies freeze, let's your brother let them loose and drop them on their head?? I don;t understand why she would even want any dog's she certainly doesn't seem to like them?:shrug:

You have to find a way to get them to a vet! sell something, do fianacing, beg, borrow, give them to a rescue or humane society, so they can at least look after them and find them better homes.

cristina
January 18th, 2008, 10:56 PM
i understand. i really do. to be honest, i don't think my grandma should have dogs. i'm sure she loves them, but she's not a very good owner and we have to fight with her to keep them inside.

if any of you think i'm being rude, i'm really sorry. i'm just desperate for some advice other than the obvious. i don't want him to die just because the circumstances are unfavorable, or we seem like bad owners, or we can't scrounge up the money for a visit to the vet right this very minute. if you don't know what could be the problem with him, that's okay. thanks anyways.
if you have ANY idea, though, i would really appreciate it. and i understand that you're not vets and probably won't have the answer. i just thought i'd try, rather than sitting around and watching him struggle to breathe.

jiorji
January 18th, 2008, 10:59 PM
iyou don't know what could be the problem with him, that's okay. thanks anyways..

how are we supposed to know?? we;re not vets.

and if you can't afford vet care, why not give them up for adoption?? All of them. They're better off homeless than dieding just because a kid can't handle a puppy properly

happycats
January 18th, 2008, 11:01 PM
are the pups with their mother? are they all in the house now? How old are they ?

cristina
January 18th, 2008, 11:02 PM
their mothers aren't allowed in the house, so they've been sleeping outside. they're two months old, and yes, they (the puppies) are in the house now.

cristina
January 18th, 2008, 11:03 PM
how are we supposed to know?? we;re not vets.

and if you can't afford vet care, why not give them up for adoption?? All of them. They're better off homeless than dieding just because a kid can't handle a puppy properly

did you bother reading the rest of my post?

Element~5
January 18th, 2008, 11:04 PM
Can you please PM me and tell me where abouts you live?

luckypenny
January 18th, 2008, 11:04 PM
cristina, there are a multiple number of things that may be wrong with him. Unfortunately we can't help him. Is there a shelter or humane society nearby that you can call for help? Perhaps someone from there can come and take him and the rest of the puppies and get them the help they need.

In the meantime, please, please keep them warm indoors with their mother. They need her warmth and her milk if she's still feeding them.

pbpatti
January 18th, 2008, 11:06 PM
sweetie you just got us all riled up, if you have a rescue nea yu call them, theymight be able to help. Gbless for trying pbp

Misery's company
January 18th, 2008, 11:06 PM
You could call around also and see if any vets in your area have a payment plan option.

I understand your financial issue and the accidental breeding as I went through the same thing with my dog Misery. I ended up having to get a credit card just so I could bring Misery and the pups to the vet (she had 11!).

It ended well and as soon as I could I brought Misery to the vet to get fixed.

You will feel a lot better if you can get them some vet attention, I know I did.

Also, I'm very sorry for your loss

jiorji
January 18th, 2008, 11:08 PM
did you bother reading the rest of my post?

sorry if i don't have the patience for your excuses. What you need to do is get them to a vet. No matter which way you explain it, that'll STILL be the answer you're going to get!! No excuse!

happycats
January 18th, 2008, 11:12 PM
their mothers aren't allowed in the house, so they've been sleeping outside. they're two months old, and yes, they (the puppies) are in the house now.

call your local Humane society/SPCA and explain the situation and turn them all over, so at leat they will get proper care and proper homes.

cristina
January 18th, 2008, 11:15 PM
i actually couldn't figure out how to pm you, element, so i sent you an email. hopefully that worked?

thank you for your advice, lucky. i'm not sure, to be honest, if there are any humane societies near us. we managed to find homes for three of them, and i know that at least one of them's doing okay. i'm not sure about the other two, but i certainly hope so.

and thank you, patti, and misery's.

Element~5
January 18th, 2008, 11:23 PM
I've replied to your email, keep me posted (try researching animal shelters in your area)

Hogansma
January 19th, 2008, 12:30 AM
And now are you making plans for having the dogs spayed? That is the responsible thing to do. No excuses!!!!!

krdahmer
January 19th, 2008, 12:43 AM
Search online for a rescue or shelter in your area and surrender them asap. They need proper vet care, and you need to be sure this doesn't happen again. Your dog and your grandmothers as well need to be altered. There are enough unwanted and homeless animals already.

Accidents happen and you did the right thing searching for help. Now is the time to learn from that mistake and prevent further sad situations.

Best of luck to you and all the pups. :pray:

Amy P
January 19th, 2008, 09:08 AM
I live in a small community and our vets are very understading to the needs of both us and our pets. You need to find the closest vet and tell them of your situation. The ones that are sick need medical attention right away. The longer you leave him the more damage it is causing to his growth and development. They need to be with their mother also...her milk has vital nutrients they need. I understand the financial thing!! We have been going through a series of illnesses with our puppy since May. I have a family of five on one income...our last visit with the vet was very costly, we are still paying for it. We gave them what we could and are making payments when we have the extra money. Having said that I have never heard of a vet refusing to help a sick animal. They may even ask you to sign the puppy over to them so they can take care of it and find it a good home. I have known our vet to do that. Please call the vet if they can't take the puppy they will point you in the right direction. It doesn't cost anything to call and ask for help. Good Luck...:pray: