Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hello, need advice

marfulls
January 18th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Hi everyone, I am new to this site and hoped I could get some much needed advice. I was suppost to go this weekend to pick up a 9 month old dog I was rescuing and he came down with the Parvo Virus. He is at the vets being treated for it now and we hope for a full recovery. Has anyone had this happen to them before (pup having parvo) and how were they after (healthy, sickly etc.). Please post a reply, I would be very greatful....

rainbow
January 18th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Welcome to pets.ca and thank you for rescuing an older puppy. :thumbs up I have never had a puppy or dog with parvo but there are others here on the forum that have. You will get a better response if you repost your question in the Pet Health forum here. I hope the puppy has a complete and speedy recovery. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

hazelrunpack
January 18th, 2008, 07:51 PM
I'm sorry to hear that your pup is sick. :grouphug:

We've never had a pup with parvo, either, but I did want to welcome you to the board.

How long does the vet think your dog will be in hospital? If you have other animals in the house, make sure you talk to the vet about how to prevent cross-infection before you bring your new baby home.

:goodvibes: and :fingerscr for a 100% recovery!

luckypenny
January 18th, 2008, 09:52 PM
He should be just fine after treatment. He may be gassy and still have a sensitive stomach, some loose stool for about 3-5 days. The vet will probably give you some medication and suggest a bland diet until his stool returns to normal. If liquid diarrhea or vomiting occurs, take him back to the vet without delay. Other than that, dogs who are successfully treated have long healthy lives ahead of them. I've had the opportunity to help have treated 3 young puppies and 2 older puppies. All survived because treatment was started at the first signs and last I heard, they were all doing well in their new homes.

Here's a link to a site I had saved at the time.

http://canecorsolinks.com/canecorso.com/Articles/canine_parvovirus.htm#Caring%20for%20the%20recover ed%20dog

Read it thoroughly, there's lots of info on the virus itself, treatment, disinfecting surroundings, and keeping other dogs/puppies safe.

Congrats on saving a Rescue dog :thumbs up . Looking forward to lots of photos when you bring him home.