Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Czarina update

ancientgirl
January 18th, 2008, 04:35 PM
I had taken Czarina downstairs to Miguel yesterday morning. I gave him all of her stuff, along with the carrier. I went downstairs this morning to ask him how everything went, and I found her sitting on the ground right outside his door.

I sat and pet her until he came by. He told me that when it came time for him to go home, she was nowhere to be found. He said he and Rene looked all over for her, and couldn't find her until he got to work this morning and found her sitting in her usually place.

He said that he'd look for her at lunchtime and put her in the carrier, that he didn't want to put her in the morning and leave her in there all day. So I nodded and left for work. I left work early today, since my boss sometimes lets me go home early on Fridays, and when I pulled into the parking lot, I saw Miguel driving out. The same thing happened, he said after he'd feed her in the morning he saw her running around with the other kitties. When it came time for him to leave he searched for her and couldn't find her.

He told me he was afraid if he took her home she would run away. I said this is probably where she is the most comfortable and she sees this as her home. Rene said the same thing.

We decided to just let her be. She knows the ins and outs of this place. She's got her gang of kitties and she's been living this way for the last 3 or 4 years. I hate for her to be outdoors, but I can't in good conscience have Miguel take her home and risk her running away. Nor can I keep her in here with me, since I really don't believe she was happy here.

My plan is still that I will keep her in as good health as I can. I told Miguel to still keep watch over here during the day and let me know if he notices anything odd so that I can take her to the vet. I'll treat her with Revolution monthly, and I'll take her to get her shots when she needs them. I'm also going to take her to have that wellness exam one day when I can get a day off, that way I can take her in the morning while she's with Miguel.

I'll feed her on the weekends and go down and see her during the week before I go to work. I wish my apartment was on the first floor. It would be so much easier for me to have a little sleeping spot for her if I actually had a balcony or patio.

I don't know what else to do.

Winston
January 18th, 2008, 05:43 PM
If he trys to take her home and she gets out she will likely try to make it back to where you live...is he far away? could be dangerous if he does live a distance from your place?

Cindy

ancientgirl
January 18th, 2008, 05:47 PM
If he trys to take her home and she gets out she will likely try to make it back to where you live...is he far away? could be dangerous if he does live a distance from your place?

Cindy

Yes, he lives quite a distance away. A little over 20 miles. I know it's not really that far, and I've read stories about cats traveling great distances to get back to their home, but this is the city, and she would be in danger of getting hit by a car or attacked by a dog or something.

I don't want to take that chance with her. I feel she's safer here if she's going to be outdoors. I am wondering if she'll accept a collar on her. I'm going to get a breakaway one with a tag on it with my cell number.

Winston
January 18th, 2008, 06:12 PM
if she has never had a collar on before she will not like it!! I fool around with mine sometimes and put a collar on and they go nuts trying to get it off! IT may not work out so well..or she may get used to it.

ancientgirl
January 18th, 2008, 06:23 PM
That's true. I'll take one of the other collars I already have and try that on her first before I guy one for her with a tag.

Mine have gotten used to not wearing any. I should get them used to wearing them again. I'd stopped putting them on Vald and Oksana because they kept scratching at the collar area. Perhaps I'll try a different type of collar and take the bell off see if they'll all accept wearing them.

Anyway, I can always just get her microchipped. That'll be something at least.

14+kitties
January 18th, 2008, 07:34 PM
She knows where she wants to be. I think she is happiest where she is.

Lukka'sma
January 18th, 2008, 08:08 PM
She knows where she wants to be. I think she is happiest where she is.

yes I agree:)

ancientgirl
January 18th, 2008, 08:31 PM
That's all I ever wanted, was for her to be happy. In here she was confined. This was a small world for her. Apartment life is all the Fantastic Four have ever known. The few times I've opened the door with one of them in my arms, they've gone nuts and tried to jump out of my arms to get inside.

I was looking at things through their eyes, thinking Czarina would be like them.

At least I'll get to see her often.